tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

`My first impressions on the postional audio ping: It is useful. I need to get used to it...

- Please expose the keybinding to CBA! https://dev.withsix.com/projects/cca/wiki/Keybinding- I'd like to turn on/off in a more flexible way, ctrl+alt p needs both hands. I'd love to put the keybind to some of the keyboards number keys to the right...

- The beep starts too loud... I think the loudness could increase more in an exponential way, when you get closer

- Also, it could start less frequent (like maybe one ping per 3 seconds ... until 1 ping per second, when close.

Just ideas, very nice tool! I've removed all UI clutter but still have some advantages of your HUD. I only display health and # of units.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/481145984304697183/3C51FD765414704BEF542391BFACC9B38705AE16/

Hi thanks for update. 

[FALL 1.53] Units who have taken a big hit will have their subsequent movement speed decreased slightly.

I never noticed anything like that. Several times my character got the wound, I treated myself and tried to use sprint after that.

My sprint had the same speed as before.

In addition, a few issues, which I noticed:

1. Sometimes When the unit gets up after falling and receiving a wound, then it uses the animation of the "take launcher from the ground" !?

2. If the unit gets hit while running, or maybe if it comes in the mode of danger (I not shure in the reason),  then this unit uses the animation of falling to the ground, without weapons.

As seems to me, It is not looks good, because the weapon of the soldier disappear from his hands and appears on the back. in for half one second.
Also this feature looks strange. Soldiers can not remove the his weapons on the back, in times of his danger. This is can not be logical.
I think this animation should be replaced with the animation where the weapon remains in the hands of a soldier, if this posible. Or removed in general.

3. A too lot of animations when a soldier falls to the side. This causes some not good moments, such as this:

When this animation, the unit has a great chance to be inside of walls or other objects. 
Also, the soldiers very often  fall to the side in the direction from which he gets the shot. It's also can not be, because the soldier should fall in the opposite direction (in the the direction of bullet flight) Reduction of the animations fall on the sides, could be reduce the number of such not good moments. Please try reduce probability of these (side) hit reaction, if the game cannot determine which side the unit gets shot.

Thanks for your work!  B)

@mickeyman

First issue: speed reduction only affects wounded AI. If I made it affect the player I'd never hear the end of it. 

1 - Yep, and I don't know why. I'll keep looking at it

2 - As explained in a few earlier posts with @sam fisher, this is a consequence of there not being a proper single dive/fall animation for weapon wielding AI. I am continuing to work on this but it's not a simple solution.

3 - News flash, people hit by bullets don't necessarily fall in the direction of the bullet. By default lower damage hits on stationary units result in the animated falls, which are to either side. Higher damage falls use ragdolling. The issue of animated falls clipping into walls and objects is an engine limitation. I might look at implementing a system where units in proximity to objects will always ragdoll, as this might mitigate the effect.

As I've explained several times before, TPW FALL has to use a collection of tricks and hacks to implement what should have been in the bloody engine all along. The more attention you pay to it, the more you will run up against the limitations of the hacks used. I don't apologise for them because the alternative is units who flinch at massive bullet hits until they die.

• Like 4

@mickeyman

If I made it affect the player I'd never hear the end of it. 

Sorry but I do not understand you clearly. Why not do it for the player also?  Impact after injury should be on all units, including the player! If the effect is only valid on the AI, it seems to me unfair. Thus once injured player gets an advantage, (before the once injured AI)

1 - Yep, and I don't know why. I'll keep looking at it

Ok! I want to add, I have seen this problem in previous versions of TPW also.

2 - As explained in a few earlier posts with @sam fisher, this is a consequence of there not being a proper single dive/fall animation for weapon wielding AI. I am continuing to work on this but it's not a simple solution.

I hope you can fix it, but it seems to me, if you can not fix it, then will is better to remove this animation in general.

3 - News flash, people hit by bullets don't necessarily fall in the direction of the bullet. 

Sorry, but I disagree. The kinetic energy of the bullet can not throw the body back toward to point of shot. It's not a vacuum cleaner that attracts objects. This kinetic energy should affect any object is always the same - From the point of firing in the direction of a flying bullet.  
When I see, that a soldier falls in the direction of the shot, it does not look in the best way (in my eyes)

I might look at implementing a system where units in proximity to objects will always ragdoll, as this might mitigate the effect.

Yes! please try do this

Sorry, but I disagree. The kinetic energy of the bullet can not throw the body back toward to point of shot. It's not a vacuum cleaner that attracts objects. This kinetic energy should affect any object is always the same - From the point of firing in the direction of a flying bullet.  
When I see, that a soldier falls in the direction of the shot, it does not look in the best way (in my eyes)

WRONG !  When you work out the kinetic energy of a bullet then pass the impulse onto a heavy person the effect is negligible.  This is NOT Hollywood!

And please stop pestering tpw!  It is his mod and as much as you disagree who cares?  If he wants the mod to dress you up as a banana - so be it.  You do not have to use it, or better still ... make your own!

• Like 1

WRONG !  When you work out the kinetic energy of a bullet then pass the impulse onto a heavy person the effect is negligible.  This is NOT Hollywood!

And please stop pestering tpw!  It is his mod and as much as you disagree who cares?  If he wants the mod to dress you up as a banana - so be it.  You do not have to use it, or better still ... make your own!

please be more friendly. I do not "pestering" to the TPW mod, I lead the discussion. 

Forums are designed precisely for this purpose. If you do not understand this, then you are stupid.

PS: And do not use at this forum Capitals. This is not a sign of good manners/

Discussion is good but I agree with TPW. There are many accounts of targets (human & large game) being shot, sometimes several times and their trajectories did not show any immediate signs of displacement due the shots. I think that the only exception would be high calibre (.50" / 12.7mm), RPGs, mines and artillery.

please be more friendly. I do not "pestering" to the TPW mod, I lead the discussion. 

Forums are designed precisely for this purpose. If you do not understand this, then you are stupid.

PS: And do not use at this forum Capitals. This is not a sign of good manners/

If you don't understand simple physics then please do not ask for the impossible.  As a user of tpw_mod you can politely ask for things but if tpw doesn't want to add them/change them then tough.  Having been around on these forums for long enough I doubt that I get the 'stupid' tag - perhaps it is because English isn't your first langage that you have difficulty - caps are for emphasis!

mickeyman, you're assuming the energy is actually imparted onto the person's body.  With a lot of bullets, the energy isn't dumped into the body at all, instead the bullet just keeps going through the person.  While the would may incapacitate the person, that doesn't mean they fall with the bullet.  They may just fall in whatever direction their current center of gravity is trending to.

TPW I'm currently using TPWCAS for a dedicated server is there a way of using this mod with the ebs??

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

When bodies are shot the flinging around is from spasms and trauma related shock. Now if there is a chest plate or some sort of body armor then the impact will push them around as the kinetic force from the bullet acts on that. Otherwise the bullet hits and fragments which is a good thing....or it goes straight through which is a bad thing.

TPW I'm currently using TPWCAS for a dedicated server is there a way of using this mod with the ebs??

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

No, it will disable itself on a dedi. Sorry about that.

Just reading the last couple of pages of comments, I hope you don't mind if I clarify my point of view regarding feedback, suggestions, expectations etc:

I've been modding since 2010 and TPW MODing since 2013. The mod has come a long way since initial release, and improves because I get ideas either in other threads, or from feedback and suggestions in this thread.  I release updates pretty frequently and I consider myself a pretty responsive kind of bloke. 

TPW MODS are essentially written by me for my own enjoyment, to keep my brain active and help make A3 the game that I want to play. I release them because I hope that they'll make A3 the game that some of you want to play too. I'm not a BI developer: I don't make money from these mods, I don't force you to use them, and I make them as configurable as I can so that you can tailor them to your requirements. The reward I get is feedback and interaction with an interesting and generous community.

So, I'm very happy to receive and act upon feedback, with a couple of fairly reasonable provisos given that the mod costs you nothing:

• I don't have to justify my design decisions to you.
  • My acknowledgement of your bug report / suggestion should not be taken as a sign that I will drop everything to implement it immediately.
  • Pestering me to acknowledge / agree with / implement your previous suggestions will usually result in me getting cranky.  

One of the great things about this forum is that even though English is not the primary language of many of users, quite often they write more eloquent and grammatically correct prose than the native speakers. However sometimes things are slightly lost in translation and I'm pretty sure I can differentiate between this and a user just behaving like an overentitled adolescent forum troglodyte. Luckily for this thread and the forum as a whole, the troglodytes are in a very small minority.

Thanks people!

• Like 1

If you don't understand simple physics then please do not ask for the impossible.  As a user of tpw_mod you can politely ask for things but if tpw doesn't want to add them/change them then tough.  Having been around on these forums for long enough I doubt that I get the 'stupid' tag - perhaps it is because English isn't your first langage that you have difficulty - caps are for emphasis!

mickeyman, you're assuming the energy is actually imparted onto the person's body.  With a lot of bullets, the energy isn't dumped into the body at all, instead the bullet just keeps going through the person.  While the would may incapacitate the person, that doesn't mean they fall with the bullet.  They may just fall in whatever direction their current center of gravity is trending to.

Guys. I do not want to quarrel.
I just wanted to help make better TPW. If you perceive my notes, as negative criticism of this mod, I won't participate in this. 
About physic:
On this planet, no physical object can not fall to the side where the blow was struck. This object will always fall in the opposite direction. 
If you kick the ball, then the ball flies in the direction of directed energy, but not back! Probably you even argue with that!?
If a soldier gets hit from the side of the right hand, then he can not fall back, in the right direction. But, If some people don't understand this, then OK, I'm not going to argue. Let everyone remains at the opinion.

Just reading the last couple of pages of comments, I hope you don't mind if I clarify my point of view regarding feedback, suggestions, expectations etc:

I've been modding since 2010 and TPW MODing since 2013. The mod has come a long way since initial release, and improves because I get ideas either in other threads, or from feedback and suggestions in this thread.  I release updates pretty frequently and I consider myself a pretty responsive kind of bloke. 

TPW MODS are essentially written by me for my own enjoyment, to keep my brain active and help make A3 the game that I want to play. I release them because I hope that they'll make A3 the game that some of you want to play too. I'm not a BI developer: I don't make money from these mods, I don't force you to use them, and I make them as configurable as I can so that you can tailor them to your requirements. The reward I get is feedback and interaction with an interesting and generous community.

So, I'm very happy to receive and act upon feedback, with a couple of fairly reasonable provisos given that the mod costs you nothing:

• I don't have to justify my design decisions to you.
  • My acknowledgement of your bug report / suggestion should not be taken as a sign that I will drop everything to implement it immediately.
  • Pestering me to acknowledge / agree with / implement your previous suggestions will usually result in me getting cranky.  

One of the great things about this forum is that even though English is not the primary language of many of users, quite often they write more eloquent and grammatically correct prose than the native speakers. However sometimes things are slightly lost in translation and I'm pretty sure I can differentiate between this and a user just behaving like an overentitled adolescent forum troglodyte. Luckily for this thread and the forum as a whole, the troglodytes are in a very small minority.

Thanks people!

Hi TPW. I understand this information is designed to me.
As seems to me, already in the second time you don't want to understand me correctly.
I'm not criticizing your work and not try force you to redo your mod for me immediately. I hope that you understand it! 
I just wanted to help you make TPW better and to draw your attention to the issues of TPW.

You sensitive to my notes about your mistakes. If I create a long list of issues , then this annoying you.

Then I create a smaller list, and it's annoying other users.

Probably you all, think that TPW is perfect job? In this case you are wrong.

In the TPW a lot of issues and flaws, which need to be corrected, because the mod reports to users about realism, but if you don't need users notes, then to inform on the main TPW-page about this.

If you kick the ball, then the ball flies in the direction of directed energy, but not back! Probably you even argue with that!?

No but I'll direct you to calculations regarding momentum amd Newton's Third Law.  Momentum is always conserved and the formula is mass x velocity.  Therefore assuming the mass of a bullet (lets call it 4 grams or 0.004kg) travelling at 370m/s has a momentum of 0.004x370=1.48kgm/s.  Now this mometum is therefore passed to the 80kg body (we'll neglect the extra 4grams the body has gained!).  Once again Mom = m x v   1.48 = 80 x v.  Velocity of the body is therefore 1.48/80 which is a MINISCULE 0.018m/s.  For the sake of argument lets call it 2cm/s.  You will not even be seen moving !  Now depending on where your centre of gravity was when you got shot, it is entirely possible to fall towards the bullet, but it is more likely that you will just fall down !

One final note - should a bullet ever be fired so fast (or be so heavy) to cause you to fly backwards, you will end up as a pink mist!

• Like 1

One final note - should a bullet ever be fired so fast (or be so heavy) to cause you to fly backwards, you will end up as a pink mist!

I think that's where the confusion is (along with Hollywood).  Limbs may move in the direction of the bullet path because the bullet is hitting the mass of the bone (or as was mentioned, plate carrier).  But if the bullet passes through soft tissue, there's very little energy imparted on the body by a ~.22 caliber military ball round.  Hollow points (or open tip match), yeah, different story.

But I know I'm preaching to the choir, kremator.

• Like 1

Let me start out by thanking you for an incredible mod that greatly enhances the arma 3 war landscape. One problem I have run into though is that my ace medical system for checking other units no longer works (so I cant heal or interact with these units though my self actions still work). Is this a compatibility issue with ace or am I missing something?  

Let me start out by thanking you for an incredible mod that greatly enhances the arma 3 war landscape. One problem I have run into though is that my ace medical system for checking other units no longer works (so I cant heal or interact with these units though my self actions still work). Is this a compatibility issue with ace or am I missing something?  

Hi falloutguy93, thanks for the kind words mate.

There's quite likely to be some interaction issues with ACE (although I don't use it so can't say for sure) when units take a hit and are lying incapacitated. TPW FALL uses setunconscious to ragdoll units onto the ground after a hit. While in this unconscious state there is no option to heal them. After 10 seconds or so they transition to an animated writhing state and setunconscious  is removed, and the units may then be interacted with and healed.   

I've spent the last couple of weeks doing a major overhaul of TPW FALL and TPW BLEEDOUT so that they interact with each other better, have less animation glitches etc. However the setunconscious no interaction issue is something I can't really work around sorry.

Now depending on where your centre of gravity was when you got shot, it is entirely possible to fall towards the bullet, but it is more likely that you will just fall down !

I'm not going to argue with that. Maybe you're right.
But if we have a choice only between the two animations, then I always choose the animation with fall to direction from point of shot.
By and large, the both animations, which we can see in TPW, do not match the current task.
The author of the mod, trying to use the not relevant animation and this fact doesn't look good.
Animation (the fall in both directions), which we see in TPW was created by BI Studio for other purposes.
For this reason, I above said that it would be better to significantly reduce the probability of such animations.
If the majority of users and the author of a TPW do not understand this, then I'm not going to argue.

Additional information for the author of the mod (last info about issues from me, because TPW in my opinion has many problems and I don't want to deal with it). In addition to the all above issues, I noticed the following problems:

When I used the TPW, sometimes the AI drivers refused to obey the order - move backward. 
The AI simply ignores the commander's orders.
But, as soon as I removed the TPW, problem disappeared! 
Also, when I used the TPW, then gave orders to his subordinates (via action menu), then sometimes there is a delay.
In the action menu, or via buttons the order was already given, but the player-character was silent. Only after 10-12 seconds was the order and only after this the AI can be able execute this order. For example, the commander should order his subordinate to blow up the device and instead, the player hears the silence and AI not react. So, this can irritate player and had a negative impact on gameplay.
 As soon as I removed the TPW problem disappeared! 
I hope, that at least some of the all my issues provided by me, will be fixed.

Good luck!

TPW MODS 20160924: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20160924.zip

Changes:

• [HPP update required]
  • [bLEEDOUT 1.27] Removed force crouch since injured units now use limping animation. Removed force prone since writhing animations are more realistic. Improved interaction with TPW FALL for less anomalies. Significant reduction in animation glitches when entering or leaving prone state. AI speed and skill is (optionally) progressively reduced by bloodloss. 
  • [bOATS 1.32] Boat waypoints are further apart so boats should do less aimless zigzagging 
  • [CARS 1.49] Cars won't use waypoints on jungle tracks.
  • [CIVS 1.49] Civs won't spawn if it's raining.
  • [FALL 1.54] Sprinting units with a rifle will use correct dive to ground animation when taking a low damage hit. Units will not use animated fall if within 2m of walls etc, so should not clip through them when falling. Units will not be immobilised in crouching or standing positions. Setunconscious ragdolled units should no longer occasionally use incorrect launcher animation when regaining their feet.
  • [sKIRMISH 1.32] Adjustments to AI skill and accuracy for less aimbot behaviours.
  • [sOAP 1.08] Workaround for ambient sounds not playing on Tanoa with latest dev builds.

Back with a very large raft of changes and bugfixes, chiefly related to TPW BLEEDOUT and TPW FALL, and the interaction between them. BLEEDOUT now features (I think) more realistic damage and bleeding reactions, particularly with the introduction of speed and skill reductions when injured. Of course these may be disabled if you don't like them or they negatively interact with other behaviour mods you may be running. FALL has had a lot of work done to minimise animation glitches and anomalous behaviours. While animated falls are obviously (!) not to everyone's liking, setting tpw_fall_bullet to a very low value such as 0.01 will ensure that you almost never see them. Units immobilised on the ground after a big hit will better transition to the BLEEDOUT incapacitated state.  As always, I am somewhat limited by what I can achieve with the animation resources available in game, so there are inevitably going to be the occasional less than smooth transitions for those animations for which playmove doesn't work.

• Like 7

tpw_bleedout_selfheal = 0 not working. AI use medkits.

vanilla arma 3 cba tpw

Now if only this was MP .... wouldn't need anyother mission ever :)  Unfortunately I'm not an expert when it comes to making things MP compatible !

• Like 1

tpw_bleedout_selfheal = 0 not working. AI use medkits.

vanilla arma 3 cba tpw

Cheers mate I'll look into it