tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

Hi, Valken.

Couple of troubleshooting things to check or try out, so we're on the same page. Forgive me if anything is overly obvious or pedantic!

Where/which files are you defining your CAS, CHS, and UAV strings with those xxx_xxxstring[]={} lines? If you're editing and using a mission specific copy of the tpw_skirmish.sqf in your mission folder, then the most direct solution is to overwrite

_this select xx

for each of the 9 string arrays in the tpw_skirmish.sqf itself. If you overwrite the strings in the tpw_skirmish.sqf at lines 114-122 thusly:

tpw_skirmish_casstring = ["CUP_B_A10_CAS_USA"]; // Classname array of custom CAS aircraft
tpw_skirmish_chsstring = ["CUP_B_AH64D_ES_USA"]; // Classname array of custom support heli
tpw_skirmish_uavstring = []; // Classname array of custom UAV
tpw_skirmish_enemy_casstring = ["CUP_O_Su25_RU_3"]; // Classname array of custom enemy CAS aircraft
tpw_skirmish_enemy_chsstring = ["CUP_O_Ka52_GreyCamo_RU"]; // Classname array of custom enemy support heli
tpw_skirmish_enemy_uavstring = []; // Classname array of custom enemy UAV
tpw_skirmish_resist_casstring = []; // Classname array of custom resistance CAS aircraft
tpw_skirmish_resist_chsstring = ["CUP_I_UH1H_TK_GUE"]; // Classname array of custom resistance support heli
tpw_skirmish_resist_uavstring = []; // Classname array of custom resistance UAV

This will bypass any strings set in the init.sqf or initplayerlocal.sqf using TPW's usual format for calling scripts. Then you can call the script from init.sqf or initplayerlocal.sqf with merely:

[2,1,2,1,2,1,700,1500,1,1,1,[0],[0],[0],10,"CUP_B_US_","CUP_B_US_","CUP_O_RU_","CUP_O_RU_","CUP_I_TK_","_TK",[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[]] execvm "tpw_skirmish.sqf";

B/c the script will then ignore the CAS/CHS/UAV blank arrays in the parameters and go with your hard-coded string arrays.

Otherwise, without editing any of the scripts, the way to call your custom CAS/CHS/UAV is to put these two lines in your init.sqf or initplayerlocal.sqf:

0 = [["RyanZombie"]] execvm "tpw_core.sqf";

[2,1,2,1,2,1,700,1500,1,1,1,[0],[0],[0],10,"CUP_B_US_","CUP_B_US_","CUP_O_RU_","CUP_O_RU_","CUP_I_TK_","_TK",["CAS_string"],["CHS_string"],["UAV_string"],["OPFOR_CAS"],["OPFOR_CHS"],["OPFOR_UAV"],["INDFOR_CAS"],["INDFOR_CHS"],["INDFOR_UAV"]] execvm "tpw_skirmish.sqf";

Replace the unit faction strings and the CAS/CHS/UAV strings per yours above. I don't have Firewill's mods, so I verified that the script works using CUP air units.

When defining the string arrays anywhere else, remember that in MP or dedi server MP, there is a load order sequence:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Initialization_Order

So where you defined those strings may have been overwritten by a leftover string array definition somewhere else.

Also, if you defined those strings at the end of your init.sqf, then the strings should work IF there isn't a stray !isServer then exit line or etc. somewhere previous that may be causing your init.sqf to exit before it reaches those string definitions.

I edited the tpw_skirmish.sqf in my test mission to fit your definitions below, but using CUP air units instead. I'm pretty sure even the The Uprising units should work, defined this way, b/c the script will call out the hunterchopper by its specific vehicle classname. In my mission, I got custom air support spawns except for default OPFOR CAS (Got the To-199 Neophron), default INDFOR CAS (got the A-143 Buzzard), and default BLUFOR/INDFOR UAVs (got the Greyhawk and Ababil respectively).

I believe there may be a bug or my skirmish config is wrong. I setup and enabled all 3 sides including CAS.

I defined CAS as follows using Firewill's standalone mods:

tpw_skirmish_casstring[] = {"FIR_A164R"}; // Classname/s of custom friendly CAS aircraft. Empty = NATO default CAS

tpw_skirmish_chsstring[] = {"FIR_AH99R"}; // Classname/s of custom friendly support heli. Empty = NATO default CHS
tpw_skirmish_uavstring[] = {}; // Classname/s of custom friendly UAV. Empty = NATO default UAV
tpw_skirmish_enemy_casstring[] = {}; // Classname/s of custom enemy CAS aircraft. Empty = CSAT default CAS
tpw_skirmish_enemy_chsstring[] = {TU_CMB_HunterChopper_F}; // Classname/s of custom enemy support heli. Empty = CSAT default CHS
tpw_skirmish_enemy_uavstring[] = {MOX_KH3B}; // Classname/s of custom enemy UAV. Empty = CSAT default UAV
tpw_skirmish_resist_casstring[] = {}; // Classname/s of custom resistance CAS aircraft. Empty = AAF default CAS
tpw_skirmish_resist_chsstring[] = {TERROR_I_VEH_UH60M}; // Classname/s of custom resistance support heli. Empty = AAF default CHS
tpw_skirmish_resist_uavstring[] = {}; // Classname/s of custom resistance UAV Empty = AAF default UAV

And I noticed Independents are using the same CAS as BluFor instead of what I've defined. It appears to be caching it instead of loading what I specified even though I see the unit in Eden.

Note - TU_XXX is The Uprising mod and it does not work via TPW. It does work if I manually place the units so that mod needs to be updated.

I can't stress enough how much I'd love to see Islamic call to prayer. Maybe as a separate module, but it would add IMMENSELY to maps like Diyala and Zargabad!!

There's been the Azan (call to prayer) for several months now mate.

Hi TPW!

Thank you again for your patience with my nitpicking and for sending me the script to test!

After massacring like 100+ defenceless CSAT units I think I'm ready to file a brief report.

Fixed:

Setunconscious ragdolling is now working properly!

PhysX ragdolling indeed has its collateral damage minimised! Unless you're standing 0.1m away from a unit, which should never happen in actual gameplay.  :D

Not fixed:

PhysX ragdolling still has the temporary invincibility problem.

The "eye position code" doesn't seem to fix animated fall. Standing-up units still fall from standing stance 90% of the time, and in like 10% of the time they fall from crouch. Following your line of reasoning, I guess the 10% worked because the unit is climbing up to a crouched stance instead of trying to stand up.

All things considered, I'd say I'm really happy with this version; and I believe the visual anomaly in animation transition has such a low chance of occurring that it would no longer be a prominent issue in actual gameplay.

Cheers!

Thanks so much SF, really appreciated, and I'm glad you think it's good enough for Government work. I'll see what I can do regarding invincibility in PhysX falls though.

Well, TPW Any thoughts on implementing an option to make player not continuesly ragdoll everytime he gets shot? Virtually impossible to escape the shots XD

Thanks for the update by the way! Im loving TPW Fall :D

I'll see about making the player use animated falls for low damage hits.

• Like 1

Hello, your mod is a great mod, i love the way we can make our own setting.

I have a question: When i change settings in TPW_MODS.hpp in userconfig, do i need to restart the mission i am doing for change take effect (for example lowering max car limit or max civ limit and enable tpw crowds) or i can continue to play the mission i am playing and change will take effect anyway ?

Also, another question: if i add a mod who add vehicles like this one : http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27919do your mod will spawn vehicle from it ?

Thanks for your answers,

Cheers

I'll see about making the player use animated falls for low damage hits.

Ah fantastic! Thanks a lot for your scripts TPW! :D

Hello, your mod is a great mod, i love the way we can make our own setting.

I have a question: When i change settings in TPW_MODS.hpp in userconfig, do i need to restart the mission i am doing for change take effect (for example lowering max car limit or max civ limit and enable tpw crowds) or i can continue to play the mission i am playing and change will take effect anyway ?

Also, another question: if i add a mod who add vehicles like this one : http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27919do your mod will spawn vehicle from it ?

Thanks for your answers,

Cheers

Hi benouyt

If you change settings in the tpw_mods.hpp the changes won't actually take effect until you restart the game. However, many settings can be changes "on the fly" during the game using the debug shell. For instance you could experiment with tpw_civ_maxciv = 10 in the debug shell, which would take immediate effect. If you decide that you're happy with it then you can change that setting in the hpp and it will become the default.

You can add any 3rd party car mods to the game, and if you know the classnames then you can add a string to tpw_car_include[] = {"RDS","LOP_"}; // strings to select classnames of custom cars and they will automatically be picked up for use as civilian vehicles.

Say you had a hypothetical car mod that added vehicles called XYZ_car_01,  XYZ_car_02,  XYZ_car_03,  XYZ_boat_01, XYZ_boat_02, If you set tpw_car_include[] = {"RDS","LOP_", "XYZ_"}; then it would use the 3 cars, and ignore the boats.    

Hi dakaodo,

I actually set the definitions in the USERCONFIG instead of the scripts. I was using the mod version to test. I'm guessing the userconfig is loading before the default scripts are fully initiated in game mission so the parameters may be overriding by default settings.

I will try to use the script version but I find it easier to do mission testing in Eden before finalizing anything.

Would it be better if I remove the default CAS/CHS/UAV selection from the scripts, repack to a PBO and then define the "default" parameters from USERCONFIG instead? The risk is that if someone overwrites USERCONFIG then they have to unpack the mod again to have default settings.

Thanks so much SF, really appreciated, and I'm glad you think it's good enough for Government work. I'll see what I can do regarding invincibility in PhysX falls though.

LOL government work? I thought the government always make do with whatever cheapest crap they can find. So no, this is SCIENCE!  :P

Keep up the good work, sir! You have all my appreciation and support! <3<3

Okay so im having another type of issue over here, Using TPW Cars i get an error which states

Error: TPW Cars Incorrect/No config: Exiting

Whats wrong in here? I have TPW_Core activated it both tried it with and without CBA. Same results

for TPW_Park i got no parked cars spawning, No error is shown. TPW Boat works great! I think the reason TPW_Civs isnt spawning is cause its raining. TPW Crowd doesnt work even if its raining or not and it presents errors... Here are my config entries.

0 = [["str1","str2",etc]] execvm "scripts\tpw_core.sqf";  0 = [100,500,10,2,30,1,1] execvm "scripts\tpw_fall.sqf"; 0 = [10,300,2,[50,250,500],0] execvm "scripts\tpw_air.sqf"; 0 = [5,1000,15,2] execvm "scripts\tpw_boats.sqf"; 0 = [5,1000,15,2,1] execvm "scripts\tpw_cars.sqf"; 0 = [5,150,15,5,4,50,0,10,15,1,40] execvm "scripts\tpw_civs.sqf"; 0 = [10] execvm "scripts\tpw_houselights.sqf"; 0 = [50,2,200,100,50,1.5] execvm "scripts\tpw_crowd.sqf";

Civs has a problem with one guy though, Its classname is C_MAN_1_1_F.

Thanks TPW! Im willing to run the mod version if its required, Although i want my mission vanilla, But its probably necessary.

Okay so im having another type of issue over here, Using TPW Cars i get an error which states

Error: TPW Cars Incorrect/No config: Exiting

Whats wrong in here? I have TPW_Core activated it both tried it with and without CBA. Same results

for TPW_Park i got no parked cars spawning, No error is shown. TPW Boat works great! I think the reason TPW_Civs isnt spawning is cause its raining. TPW Crowd doesnt work even if its raining or not and it presents errors... Here are my config entries.

0 = [["str1","str2",etc]] execvm "scripts\tpw_core.sqf";  0 = [100,500,10,2,30,1,1] execvm "scripts\tpw_fall.sqf"; 0 = [10,300,2,[50,250,500],0] execvm "scripts\tpw_air.sqf"; 0 = [5,1000,15,2] execvm "scripts\tpw_boats.sqf"; 0 = [5,1000,15,2,1] execvm "scripts\tpw_cars.sqf"; 0 = [5,150,15,5,4,50,0,10,15,1,40] execvm "scripts\tpw_civs.sqf"; 0 = [10] execvm "scripts\tpw_houselights.sqf"; 0 = [50,2,200,100,50,1.5] execvm "scripts\tpw_crowd.sqf";

Civs has a problem with one guy though, Its classname is C_MAN_1_1_F.

Thanks TPW! Im willing to run the mod version if its required, Although i want my mission vanilla, But its probably necessary.

Hi VO

The problem with cars is that the instructions in the script header need to be updated.

0 = [5,1000,15,2,1,["RDS","LOP_]] execvm "scripts\tpw_cars.sqf";

Cars now take an array of strings of vehicles you want included from mods.

Sorry about that, I will update things accordingly.

Hi, Valken.

Your PBO repack would actually be the long road around the mountain, and is totally unnecessary thanks to the way TPW has packaged his scripts. :P Just don't run the mod if you have customized preferences. Rely entirely on the scripts. Gives you better control over the player experience anyway, in my opinion. Keep it simple! :D Eliminate all unnecessary mod/script interactions to make your mission as easy as possible to troubleshoot.

TPW said a few pages ago that one of the versions (mod vs. script) takes absolute priority. That was probably your first culprit in the undesired air support skirmish effects, I'm guessing. I think it is the mod that stops any TPW scripts from running? So the best way and fastest way (TPW does it this way too) to test it and to run it if you have specific settings desired is via script:

Save a test mission in the editor

copy over the TPW scripts and your init.sqf with the calls to TPW's scripts (Core at a minimum; puddle, radio, SOAP all require additional TPW files; I think all others only use game config resources)

run mission from editor

observe your mistakes

exit to editor

alt-tab out to Notepad++ or preferred .sqf editor (I leave the .sqfs open in the editor throughout this process -- just make sure to save before running the mission)

edit script or init calls

SAVE the script edits

alt-tab back into Arma 3 editor

run mission from editor

It is really that simple. You don't even need to save or reload the main mission in editor, since the .sqf files are processed each time you launch the editor mission.

Sorry if I'm a bit amused at the process -- I was clueless about all this a few weeks ago before I took a stab at it, and the above only represents results of my own tedious learning curve.

Hi dakaodo,

I actually set the definitions in the USERCONFIG instead of the scripts. I was using the mod version to test. I'm guessing the userconfig is loading before the default scripts are fully initiated in game mission so the parameters may be overriding by default settings.

I will try to use the script version but I find it easier to do mission testing in Eden before finalizing anything.

Would it be better if I remove the default CAS/CHS/UAV selection from the scripts, repack to a PBO and then define the "default" parameters from USERCONFIG instead? The risk is that if someone overwrites USERCONFIG then they have to unpack the mod again to have default settings.

Hi tpw,
many thanks for your great work!

Some suggestions (by an absolut beginner in scripting) for your bleedout script to reduce a bit the inhumanity in offline / single Player missions:

-I want to avoid that badly and medium  wounded soldiers are killed by their opponents.
-I want to be able to heal enemys without being killed by them after they are healed.
-I want to be able to capture an AI if I am in a superior situation.

So I added some details in your script:
-for "// Stay crouched" I added _x setCustomAimCoef 1;and _x allowFleeing 1; to reduce the effectivness of the wounded soldier (not tested)
-for "// Stay prone" and "// Writhe around immobile" I added removeAllWeapons _x; and _x setCaptive 1;
I tested the bleedout script with WW2_units_mas_v1.0 (Cfgammo with reduced hit values (5-7))
result:
-normal fire fights AI against AI are deadly as usual with ca. 80%-90% killed instant, but some are wounded with the effect that they throw away their weapons and writhe around.
You can heal these enemys and they will not shoot at you and they will not be killed by your comrades.
-If you are in a superior situation (eg. ambush) and you want to capture the AI soldier shoot in the arm or leg, wait in cover (he will continue fighting for some seconds, then he tries to self heal, throw away his weapons and surrenders. Depending on his wounds he will just lay on the ground or writhe. It is possible now to give him first aid without being killed by him in return.
What do you think about adding similar features to your TPW-MODS?

Best regards

Hi VO

The problem with cars is that the instructions in the script header need to be updated.

0 = [5,1000,15,2,1,["RDS","LOP_]] execvm "scripts\tpw_cars.sqf";

Cars now take an array of strings of vehicles you want included from mods.

Sorry about that, I will update things accordingly.

Oh okay! Thanks a lot! So if I don't want to include any vehicles from mods do I leave it blank?

Thanks!

Hi tpw,

many thanks for your great work!

Some suggestions (by an absolut beginner in scripting) for your bleedout script to reduce a bit the inhumanity in offline / single Player missions:

-I want to avoid that badly and medium  wounded soldiers are killed by their opponents.

-I want to be able to heal enemys without being killed by them after they are healed.

-I want to be able to capture an AI if I am in a superior situation.

So I added some details in your script:

-for "// Stay crouched" I added _x setCustomAimCoef 1;and _x allowFleeing 1; to reduce the effectivness of the wounded soldier (not tested)

-for "// Stay prone" and "// Writhe around immobile" I added removeAllWeapons _x; and _x setCaptive 1;

I tested the bleedout script with WW2_units_mas_v1.0 (Cfgammo with reduced hit values (5-7))

result:

-normal fire fights AI against AI are deadly as usual with ca. 80%-90% killed instant, but some are wounded with the effect that they throw away their weapons and writhe around.

You can heal these enemys and they will not shoot at you and they will not be killed by your comrades.

-If you are in a superior situation (eg. ambush) and you want to capture the AI soldier shoot in the arm or leg, wait in cover (he will continue fighting for some seconds, then he tries to self heal, throw away his weapons and surrenders. Depending on his wounds he will just lay on the ground or writhe. It is possible now to give him first aid without being killed by him in return.

What do you think about adding similar features to your TPW-MODS?

Best regards

Guten tag kraut1. Thanks very much for your input and suggestions which are highly appreciated. 

I'm always very hesitant about adding AI behavioural changes to my mods since it's 100% certain that when I do, someone posts the next day complaining that it conflicts with XYZ mission or mod. I'll investigate adding setcaptive to BLEEDOUT writhing units and FALL hit units so that their enemies don't shoot at them, but the surrendering and weapon dropping sounds a bit simplistic and would likely need more code to make it plausible eg only surrender if there are no able-bodied teammates nearby etc .

I'm not trying to dismiss your ideas, just to put you in the picture regarding my stance on this stuff. I'll keep you posted though.

Oh okay! Thanks a lot! So if I don't want to include any vehicles from mods do I leave it blank?

Thanks!

That's it in a nutshell :)

What ... carebear missions? .... no thanks!  Total annihilation is needed - give them no quarter - no mercy !

You may have the wrong game here kraut1.

• Like 1

In Pilgrimage, a mission which plays exceptionally well with TPW,  we do have AI who drop their weapons and surrender. As a player you can interrogate them for info and release them or you can say "Thanks for your valuable input!" and annihilate them anyway. That is gruesome enough, isn't it? :)

I can understand kraut1's motivation but I also believe that this is out of scope of TPW MODS. I personally like it when AI units are programmed to avoid a fight they cannot win just like human players.

That's it in a nutshell :)

Great :D Thanks a lot for your help!

How exactly do I use only select TPW mods? While using them doesn't drop my framerate consistently it does give me annoying lag spikes, and there are certainly some that I'd rather not use, so I want to narrow it down the the handful I prefer. Sorry if this is totally obvious.

How exactly do I use only select TPW mods? While using them doesn't drop my framerate consistently it does give me annoying lag spikes, and there are certainly some that I'd rather not use, so I want to narrow it down the the handful I prefer. Sorry if this is totally obvious.

Well it's totally obvious to me at least, but then again I wrote it!

The tpw_mods.hpp  -> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/docs/TPW_MODS.txt enables each mod to be activated/inactivated

eg you don't like ambient boats? What kind of monster are you?!?!

Change

tpw_boat_active = 1;

to

tpw_boat_active = 0;

You can do this by hand editing the hpp, using tpw_settings.py, or Gliptal's tpw_settings.jar GUI

I've spent the last few months heavily optimising the scripts to reduce lag spikes but those associated with spawning vehicles (especially aircraft) are simply unavoidable. 

• Like 2

f42720da4bd4a12cdb35a45f60390222.jpg

I get this error quite a bit, usually while walking around it'll randomly pop up. I've tried disabling the Crowd feature and it still pops up. Also with the Crowds disabled it still shows it enabled in the start-up window at the beginning of a mission. I only play single player while messing around in the editor.

I get this error quite a bit, usually while walking around it'll randomly pop up. I've tried disabling the Crowd feature and it still pops up. Also with the Crowds disabled it still shows it enabled in the start-up window at the beginning of a mission. I only play single player while messing around in the editor.

You're not running the script and addon versions simultaneously by any chance?