tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

would it be possible to block the spawning of things when in multiplayer using a variable by the mission maker? just a simple boolean.

at times when a friend who uses your mod joins it's a nice enhancer of the mission but more often it interferes too much, especially when the mission has its own ambient civs and traffic. i totally understand that overall it is intended and i remember from the earlier days of your mod that you carefully spread civ count across clients and simialr things.

all i would ask for is an added switch for all features or atleast those that are not local. keep in mind that spawning civs on clients does not make them local (you know this, just clarifying what i need) effects.

ideally i'd love jsut a global array of booleans for all or most aspects. that would remove the need for a module and the server to actually have the mod but add optional control over things anyways.

please think about this. thx. sorry if that is already a feature. if so please point me to the documentation of it, if possible.

How do I actually use the mod version? I was planning to do that but somehow I can't find any modules.

INSTALLATION

============

TPW MODS installation is no different to countless other mods, you need to merely install the addon folder and a folder containing the configuration files, and activate the mod using the method of your choice.

- You'll need the latest version of Community Base Addons A3 (CBA A3) for the addon to launch and function properly.

- The simplest way to install TPW MODS is to extract the contents of TPW_MODS_20XXXXXXX.zip to a temporary location and then click on install.bat to automatically copy TPW MODS and its required files to the correct Arma3 location. The installer will also handle updating your TPW_MODS.hpp configuration file with any new variables.

- Alternatively, manually extract the @TPW_MODS and @CBA_A3 modfolders to your preferred mod location. By default this would be \your_steam_location\steamapps\common\Arma 3

- The @TPW_MODS addon can be easily activated using the Arma3 launcher, or in-game via the Configure -> Expansions menu. Alternatively, right click on Arma3 in your Steam menu, select Properties and then select Set Launch Options in the Arma3 Properties popup window. Add the following: -mod=@CBA_A3;@TPW_MODS into the field of the Launch Options popup.

INCLUDED FILES

==============

By default your @TPW_MODS\addons directory should contain the following pbos and bisigns.

- ebs.pbb

- ebs.pbo.tpw.bisign

- flay.pbo

- flay.pbo.tpw.bisign

- tpw_ambience.pbo

- tpw_ambience.pbo.tpw.bisign

- tpw_azan.pbo

- tpw_azan.pbo.tpw.bisign

- tpw_animspeed.pbo

- tpw_animspeed.pbo.tpw.bisign

- tpw_hud.pbo

- tpw_hud.pbo.tpw.bisign

- tpw_mods.pbo

- tpw_mods.pbo.tpw.bisign

- tpw_puddle.pbo

- tpw_puddle.tpw.bisign

- tpw_sounds.pbo

- tpw_sounds.pbo.tpw.bisign

CONFIGURATION

==============

TPW MODS is extremely configurable and has a lot of options which are available in the TPW_MODS.hpp file. This file contains sensible defaults and is heavily annotated so that you may configure the individual mods on/off and adjust their variables. Additional information and configuration options for each mod are contained in @TPW_MODS\docs, and in the links at the bottom of the TPW MODS webpage https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/154944-tpw-mods-v20160620-enhanced-realism-and-immersion-for-arma-3-sp/.

Copy @TPW_MODS\userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW_MODS.hpp to \Your_Arma3\userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW_MODS.hpp. You may need to create the \Your_Arma3\userconfig\TPW_MODS\ directory if it does not already exist. Please be aware that installing TPW MODS using PlaysWithSix may sometimes place TPW_MODS.hpp into the incorrect location.

You then have 3 choices for modifying tpw_mods.hpp

1 - Manually using a text editor such as Notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org

2 - tpw_settings.py, a simple text based python script which allows you to quickly make changes to any variables. You'll need Python 2.7 for Windows, 32-bit: https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.11/python-2.7.11.msior 64 bit: https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.11/python-2.7.11.amd64.msi . Copy @TPW_MODS\userconfig\TPW_MODS\tpw_settings.py to \Your_Arma3\userconfig\TPW_MODS\tpw_settings.py and double click to run it.

3 - TPW SETTINGS.jar, a full Java GUI written by Gliptal https://github.com/Gliptal/TPW-Settings

Please do not try to edit your latest hpp using anything other than the latest version of TPW SETTINGS.jar, as you may corrupt your tpw_mods.hpp. You will need Java 8 https://java.com/en/download/or greater to run TPW Settings.jar. Many thanks to Gliptal for his continuing support for TPW Settings. TPW SETTINGS.jar is not included in the TPW MODS download by default, you will need to download and install it to \Your_Arma3\userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW SETTINGS.jar

Please be aware that incorrectly editing or corrupting your tpw_mods.hpp may crash TPW MODS or Arma3 itself. I take no responsibility for this.

;)

• Like 1

INSTALLATION

============

TPW MODS installation is no different to countless other mods, you need to merely install the addon folder and a folder containing the configuration files, and activate the mod using the method of your choice.

- You'll need the latest version of Community Base Addons A3 (CBA A3) for the addon to launch and function properly.

- The simplest way to install TPW MODS is to extract the contents of TPW_MODS_20XXXXXXX.zip to a temporary location and then click on install.bat to automatically copy TPW MODS and its required files to the correct Arma3 location. The installer will also handle updating your TPW_MODS.hpp configuration file with any new variables.

- Alternatively, manually extract the @TPW_MODS and @CBA_A3 modfolders to your preferred mod location. By default this would be \your_steam_location\steamapps\common\Arma 3

- The @TPW_MODS addon can be easily activated using the Arma3 launcher, or in-game via the Configure -> Expansions menu. Alternatively, right click on Arma3 in your Steam menu, select Properties and then select Set Launch Options in the Arma3 Properties popup window. Add the following: -mod=@CBA_A3;@TPW_MODS into the field of the Launch Options popup.

INCLUDED FILES

==============

By default your @TPW_MODS\addons directory should contain the following pbos and bisigns.

- ebs.pbb

- ebs.pbo.tpw.bisign

- flay.pbo

- flay.pbo.tpw.bisign

- tpw_ambience.pbo

- tpw_ambience.pbo.tpw.bisign

- tpw_azan.pbo

- tpw_azan.pbo.tpw.bisign

- tpw_animspeed.pbo

- tpw_animspeed.pbo.tpw.bisign

- tpw_hud.pbo

- tpw_hud.pbo.tpw.bisign

- tpw_mods.pbo

- tpw_mods.pbo.tpw.bisign

- tpw_puddle.pbo

- tpw_puddle.tpw.bisign

- tpw_sounds.pbo

- tpw_sounds.pbo.tpw.bisign

CONFIGURATION

==============

TPW MODS is extremely configurable and has a lot of options which are available in the TPW_MODS.hpp file. This file contains sensible defaults and is heavily annotated so that you may configure the individual mods on/off and adjust their variables. Additional information and configuration options for each mod are contained in @TPW_MODS\docs, and in the links at the bottom of the TPW MODS webpage https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/154944-tpw-mods-v20160620-enhanced-realism-and-immersion-for-arma-3-sp/.

Copy @TPW_MODS\userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW_MODS.hpp to \Your_Arma3\userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW_MODS.hpp. You may need to create the \Your_Arma3\userconfig\TPW_MODS\ directory if it does not already exist. Please be aware that installing TPW MODS using PlaysWithSix may sometimes place TPW_MODS.hpp into the incorrect location.

You then have 3 choices for modifying tpw_mods.hpp

1 - Manually using a text editor such as Notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org

2 - tpw_settings.py, a simple text based python script which allows you to quickly make changes to any variables. You'll need Python 2.7 for Windows, 32-bit: https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.11/python-2.7.11.msior 64 bit: https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.11/python-2.7.11.amd64.msi . Copy @TPW_MODS\userconfig\TPW_MODS\tpw_settings.py to \Your_Arma3\userconfig\TPW_MODS\tpw_settings.py and double click to run it.

3 - TPW SETTINGS.jar, a full Java GUI written by Gliptal https://github.com/Gliptal/TPW-Settings

Please do not try to edit your latest hpp using anything other than the latest version of TPW SETTINGS.jar, as you may corrupt your tpw_mods.hpp. You will need Java 8 https://java.com/en/download/or greater to run TPW Settings.jar. Many thanks to Gliptal for his continuing support for TPW Settings. TPW SETTINGS.jar is not included in the TPW MODS download by default, you will need to download and install it to \Your_Arma3\userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW SETTINGS.jar

Please be aware that incorrectly editing or corrupting your tpw_mods.hpp may crash TPW MODS or Arma3 itself. I take no responsibility for this.

;)

Hey thanks again! I read through this and all I had to do was paste the .hpp file on my TPW_Mods directory? Woops... I already read this one but I was yet again confused. So if I do that I could simply activate tpw_civs using the command shown on the txt file?

Thanks a bunch!

would it be possible to block the spawning of things when in multiplayer using a variable by the mission maker? just a simple boolean.

at times when a friend who uses your mod joins it's a nice enhancer of the mission but more often it interferes too much, especially when the mission has its own ambient civs and traffic. i totally understand that overall it is intended and i remember from the earlier days of your mod that you carefully spread civ count across clients and simialr things.

all i would ask for is an added switch for all features or atleast those that are not local. keep in mind that spawning civs on clients does not make them local (you know this, just clarifying what i need) effects.

ideally i'd love jsut a global array of booleans for all or most aspects. that would remove the need for a module and the server to actually have the mod but add optional control over things anyways.

please think about this. thx. sorry if that is already a feature. if so please point me to the documentation of it, if possible.

Hi BB

Most of the TPW MODS which spawn things may already be toggled active/inactive during the game

- tpw_animal_active = true/false

- tpw_boat_active = true/false

- tpw_car_active = true/false

- tpw_civ_active = true/false

- tpw_crowd_active = true/false

- tpw_fog_active = true/false

- tpw_houselights_active = true/false

- tpw_park_active = true/false

- tpw_radio_active = true/false

- tpw_skirmish_active = true/false

- tpw_soap_active = true/false

- tpw_streetlights_active = true/false

I'm no MP person as you know but I imagine that a script setting these variables to false and publicvariable might achieve what you are after. 

• Like 2

tpw_animspeed.pbo, strangely enough :)

Smartarsery aside, please be aware that I've had to neuter some of the functionality of this addon because it started clashing with dev releases a few months back.

I've long since set this to "= 0" in my hpp file.  If it's starting to cause issues, is it worth making the default value "0" in the next release?

I've long since set this to "= 0" in my hpp file.  If it's starting to cause issues, is it worth making the default value "0" in the next release?

Not really mate, it was just a couple of the rifle lowered animations that were playing up, the rest are fine. I find many of the transitions speeds to be way too fast for my liking, so they remain modded by default.  

Hey TPW, I absolutely love your mods and I appreciate all the efforts you've put into them!

I want to report some problems about TPW Fall, particularly about the animated fall and old PhysX induced ragdoll. I don't know if someone has already brought them up or if you are aware of them, but I made a short clip to demonstrate.

Only CBA and TPW Mods are activated. I believe these problems are easily reproducible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnYNzum51kc

Animated fall: The fall animation can only start from a standing posture. So when a prone unit tries to stand up and gets hit by a bullet, he falls in a way as if he was previously standing. The transition looks very abrupt and immersion-breaking. Honestly, I don't know how to fix this. Maybe monitor a unit's status and prevent animated fall from interfering during the unit's standing-up animation? Or, if the game has "falling from crouched position" animation, it could be used when a unit is in the standing-up phase...

PhysX ragdoll: The PhysX enabled object seems to block bullets, which makes the falling unit invincible for a very short amount of time. The result comparison in the video is quite clear: no one should be able to take three rounds of 9.3mm on the chest and survive...

Since I'm now using setunconscious fall, the PhysX glitch is no longer a problem to me. However, the animated fall transition problem is still prominent when using pistols or shooting 5.56 at heavily armoured units.

#CSATLivesMatter

No VR Entities were harmed in the making of this video...

Hi Sam Fisher, thank you very much indeed for all the trouble you've gone to to report these issues.

As you are no doubt aware the default for handling hits from bullets is atrocious - flinch until dead. Any system that tries to work around it rapidly runs up against various engine limitations, most of which you seem to have discovered in 1 fell swoop!

Animated fall : there is indeed no fall from crouch animation. I long ago made a decision that a slight anomaly when shooting a crouched unit was better than that f@#$%ing flinching. Obviously you disagree, but you're the first in several years! The system at least ignores animations if the unit is prone though...

PhysX ragdoll: You've uncovered one of the compromises I had to make for this kludge. Basically I have to spawn an invisible heavy object above the hit unit and smash it onto the unit's head to get him to ragdoll. To do this I have to briefly make the unit allowdamage false, otherwise the invisible object kills him!I I think I have a way to get around this limitation which I will release shortly, but to be honest a kludge is a kludge and I'm more than happy for the majority of SP players to use the setunconscious ragdolling. Only MP players affected by the interference with the revive functionality should really be using the kludges.

So that's hopefully a 50% solution to your problems...

PS I agree the VR will probably recover after a cup of tea and a lie down.

Yea I switched immediately to the PhysX method as it just looked Splendid. However as already mentioned, the MP revive issue was too much for me. I used userconfig to switch off Fall for player but still had same problem. If anyone else use MP and found a working solution for the situation please share.

Pardon me i got the stuff working now :) I read onto the files and saw that i was using a script and mod rip...

Its working fine now as a mod, But does the scripts also needs CBA?

Thanks!

Hi Sam Fisher, thank you very much indeed for all the trouble you've gone to to report these issues.

As you are no doubt aware the default for handling hits from bullets is atrocious - flinch until dead. Any system that tries to work around it rapidly runs up against various engine limitations, most of which you seem to have discovered in 1 fell swoop!

Animated fall : there is indeed no fall from crouch animation. I long ago made a decision that a slight anomaly when shooting a crouched unit was better than that f@#$%ing flinching. Obviously you disagree, but you're the first in several years! The system at least ignores animations if the unit is prone though...

PhysX ragdoll: You've uncovered one of the compromises I had to make for this kludge. Basically I have to spawn an invisible heavy object above the hit unit and smash it onto the unit's head to get him to ragdoll. To do this I have to briefly make the unit allowdamage false, otherwise the invisible object kills him!I I think I have a way to get around this limitation which I will release shortly, but to be honest a kludge is a kludge and I'm more than happy for the majority of SP players to use the setunconscious ragdolling. Only MP players affected by the interference with the revive functionality should really be using the kludges.

Hey TPW, thank you so much for your detailed explanation!

I couldn't agree with you more! Bohemia's BS way of handling bullet hits is one of the biggest letdowns of this "mil-sim" (others being the legacy Action Menuâ„¢, crappy AI, the grenade system, and in-building movement etc.). I still remember when first playing the campaign as the game officially came out, I fired some 7.62 at an AAF soldier, only to see him flinch, turn on the spot, and laser shoot me to death from 300m away. Hell, even in OFP the reaction to bullet hits was better - at least the AI actively tries to go prone...

Regarding the animated fall issue, I wonder if it's possible to monitor a unit's stance and action (standing, crouching, prone; standing-up, going-prone etc...). If it's possible, I have a mediocre idea: Use animated fall only when a unit is standing or standing-up-from-crouch; for other stances such as crouching or standing-up-from-prone, let the hit unit go prone normally instead of falling down (it would make some sense, since crouching is a more stable stance and less likely to get knocked over). In this way a unit would react somehow realistically to bullet hits, while mostly avoiding the visual anomaly in the falling transition.

But if it's impossible to monitor the stance, well, I guess we can only hope BIS fix their bullet reaction in some later patch or perhaps in ARMA4...

Its working fine now as a mod, But does the scripts also needs CBA?

Thanks!

Affirmative.  

Affirmative.

Wait.. Then how am I running it without CBA? I removed it out of curiosity and the scripts function okay... (did this two hours before I wrote that comment)

Weird...

Wait.. Then how am I running it without CBA? I removed it out of curiosity and the scripts function okay... (did this two hours before I wrote that comment)

Weird...

Dude, I am only answering your questions based on the documentation that comes with TPW MODS......maybe you have the magical version that doesn't require CBA. :lol:  

Dude, I am only answering your questions based on the documentation that comes with TPW MODS......maybe you have the magical version that doesn't require CBA. :lol:

Ow lol I was speaking about the script version :lol: I guess I answered my own question, Scripts works fine without CBA I didn't use mods cuz I don't want any dependencies (Rip puddles :( )

Thanks for the answer though! Il keep it in mind if I ever decide to go bollocks cuz of scripting error and use the mod version :)

Ow lol I was speaking about the script version :lol: I guess I answered my own question, Scripts works fine without CBA I didn't use mods cuz I don't want any dependencies (Rip puddles :( )

Thanks for the answer though! Il keep it in mind if I ever decide to go bollocks cuz of scripting error and use the mod version :)

:face_palm:   :goodnight:

• Like 1

Hi TPW,

Some more feature requests or actually, script integration. Can you review if it is feasible to incorporate the following scripts into TWP for further immersion:

Bird of Prey scripts - can be added to TPW animals. Spawns random fishes in water within x distance from player and randomly spawns Bird of Prey catch food. Mainly for immersion.

Johnny Boy's stackable objects and movable stack's scripts - Having this automatically enabled within X distance of a player would allow them use environment objects such as stacking or using it for cover. Can pick it up and block door or window or pile some up to get behind it for an ambush.

Also to push the "stacks" around for tactical usage - such as to block a road to snatch a vip or create an ambush.

I was thinking of those SP missions where you had to attack a convoy. Sometimes using AI mods makes the convoy drive better and they zoom by which sets you off running. Instead, the user can just stack objects and push it out onto the road. 

Or use it to climb to an advantage point. 

All scripts should be toggled for performance reason.

I believe it should be not globally across the map but within X radius so not many objects become enabled for performance reasons. I don't know the impact but we can try it in any map by dropping a ton of objects and then measuring the impact based on radius. I'm sure less than 500 m would be more than enough. Probably less than 200m.

Hi TPW, I think there are falling from crouch animations! Check out this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua8s5qDhqms

This is from the vanilla game. Don't know if this will help.

I use the TPW Settings executable and it seems any changes that I make aren't saved when I load up Arma 3. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I save it under a new name and hit "Apply" I also hit "Apply" in the individual sections of course.

I've also tried deleting the TPW Mods from my Launcher and relisting them after I changed my settings. Still no luck.

Does anyone know what could be going wrong?

Hi TPW,

Some more feature requests or actually, script integration. Can you review if it is feasible to incorporate the following scripts into TWP for further immersion:

Bird of Prey scripts - can be added to TPW animals. Spawns random fishes in water within x distance from player and randomly spawns Bird of Prey catch food. Mainly for immersion.

Johnny Boy's stackable objects and movable stack's scripts - Having this automatically enabled within X distance of a player would allow them use environment objects such as stacking or using it for cover. Can pick it up and block door or window or pile some up to get behind it for an ambush.

Also to push the "stacks" around for tactical usage - such as to block a road to snatch a vip or create an ambush.

I was thinking of those SP missions where you had to attack a convoy. Sometimes using AI mods makes the convoy drive better and they zoom by which sets you off running. Instead, the user can just stack objects and push it out onto the road. 

Or use it to climb to an advantage point. 

All scripts should be toggled for performance reason.

I believe it should be not globally across the map but within X radius so not many objects become enabled for performance reasons. I don't know the impact but we can try it in any map by dropping a ton of objects and then measuring the impact based on radius. I'm sure less than 500 m would be more than enough. Probably less than 200m.

Without sounding mean or selfish i hope TPW says no. There's no point implementing them when they're already out there. TPW is all about atmosphere and that's what i love about it. Your suggestions would take it in a direction that would ruin it in my opinion. Sorry! ;)

• Like 1

Hi TPW, I think there are falling from crouch animations! Check out this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua8s5qDhqms

This is from the vanilla game. Don't know if this will help.

Well bugger me, you're right! I will see about incorporating these in stat. Thanks very much Sam Fisher!

Without sounding mean or selfish i hope TPW says no. There's no point implementing them when they're already out there. TPW is all about atmosphere and that's what i love about it. Your suggestions would take it in a direction that would ruin it in my opinion. Sorry! ;)

Thanks law-giver. I appreciate people suggesting things, as long as they appreciate that it's my prerogative to incorporate those suggestions or not :)

Re Valken's suggestions: TPW MODS hasn't developed by absorbing other people's fully developed mods. Some of it I've asked others for help, some of it has been people contributing their ideas or code, but most of it I've just worked out for myself (which is probably why the code is so shit). If you like JBoy's excellent scripts then by all means use them, but I won't be incorporating them into my code base unless he specifically asks me to.  

• Like 1

The jumping fish and exploding barrels are atmospheric so wouldn't be out of place in TPW MODS and the beauty of TPW MODS is you can simply disable what you don't like. Perfect! :P

@tpw

If you think your coding is shit i dread to think what any coding attempt by me would be called, i'd take shit any day!  ;)

I was rethinking about this at work and I think the explosions should be better off in an FX mod like Blastcore and the object interaction and movement a separate mod such as an addon module to ACE instead.

My suggestion was that the jumping fish and bird of prey are more inline with your environmental animal module. Johnny Boy's scripts are meant for mission makers only vs this mod which is an SP standalone.

Noted on incorporating other user's ideas so I'll retract the request. :D

I will ask Johnny Boy if he would be able to convert the mission scripts into stand alone environmental addons.

• Like 1

Cheers Valken, thanks for your understanding mate