tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

TPW, just a quick question.

I downloaded the new version yesterday and unless I just skimmed over it, in the hpp file, I don't see CAF Aggressors in the Skirmish section. Did you remove them or have plans on adding any middle easterners back in the overrides or maybe I just didn't see it and it's still there?

I think CAF has been removed to keep those configurations for Vanilla/Apex factions, makes sense as this is where "enemyunitstring" and "friendlyunitstring" become your friend. :)

• Like 1

I think CAF has been removed to keep those configurations for Vanilla/Apex factions, makes sense as this is where "enemyunitstring" and "friendlyunitstring" become your friend. :)

You got it in one mate!

The problem with CAF and many other addons with CfgWeapons entries is that many of them are now throwing popup errors related to Iteminfo.Scope due to recent A3 releases' more stringent way of handling these things. So where possible I'd prefer not to make TPW MODS reliant on content that throws errors. You are of course welcome to keep using CAF or any other addon, but be aware that the popups are not TPW MODS issues.

• Like 2

Thanks for the breakdown guys! It makes perfect sense. I know you fancy Middle Eastern stuff when you play so I was just surprised to see no Middle Easter factions in the hpp anymore.

It's a shame CAF was abandoned. It was the best but I agree, I avoid it now too in my own missions because I don't like errors either. It's not worth the risk. It's just too bad no other mod picked up their mantle.

Oh well.

You made the right call, TPW. I would have done the same thing if I was you.

• Like 1

TPW MODS 20160708: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20160708.zip

Changes:

• [CARS 1.45] Nearby cars stop driving and no new cars are spawned if there is gunfire near the player
  • [CORE 1.25] Civilians whose classnames contain strings as defined in tpw_civ_blacklist will now be excluded from all ambient roles (civs, crowd, cars, boats). 
  • [CROWD 1.01] Further optimisations of crowd visibilty/animation/dispersal/despawning scanning code.
  • [FALL 1.46] TPW CROWD civs are ignored. Builds > 137290 will now use setunconscious to ragdoll hit units instead of physx kludges or animations. Animations are only used for falls from height. 
  • [RADIO 1.26] Uses custom radio sounds instead of the built in A3 radio sounds. No more reports of a bike accident!
  • [sKIRMISH 1.28] Fixed squad consolidation and vehicle removal code.
  • Please update your TPW MODS.hpp

Back with a slew of optimisations and improvements. The most significant one is that TPW FALL now uses the correctly functioning setunconscious as a way of forcing players/AI into a ragdoll state when they get hit. Previously I relied on using animations, or kludges such as replacing a hit unit with a stand-in, and then killing it, or dropping an invisible physx object on their head (thanks to Das Attorney for that out of the box idea!). With the new system, a hit unit ragdolls to the ground, and automatically turns over and writhes for a short while before getting back up. If TPW BLEEDOUT determines that they are too injured then they may not actually get back up and will die without medical assistance. Being able to do the ragdolling and subsequent animations at engine level makes the whole thing faster and cleaner. I've left the old code in though, and if people find the new system problematic then I will make the old one an option.

• Like 5

Thanks for the input jtgibson. I already have code in place which screens out units based on certain criteria, so I should be able to extend this principle to a user supplied blacklist. I make absolutely zero apologies for not initially designing the system to allow for someone using a bloody zombie mod...

Re skirmish/air. I haven't encountered a crash related to these or any other of my mods in a long long time on any map. I wouldn't release if it did. If you could provide a bit more data from your rpt that would help me nail down the problem, that would be appreciated.

Heh.  If it makes you feel any better, the only reason I decided to try out Z&D is because it adds variety -- smashing my way through columns of CSAT wears thin after a while, and sometimes it's more satisfying to kill things without having to feel any moral compunctions against it (I recall a conversation I had with a coworker who was both surprised and disturbed when I explained that Arma 3 has you shoot people and not zombies, although he was a little bit on the holier-than-thou side).  I don't play online either and I stay as far away as WasteLifeZ as possible. ;-)

Re: Crashing, the crashes occur with no forewarning whatsoever in the RPT, but always occur instantly when TPW MODS load at the 10 second mark with SKIRMISH, or at random intervals if I run with civilian models enabled with TPW AIR.  Believe me, I'd tell you more if I could!  It's one of those things that's impossible to pin down without any useful feedback from the game logs.  I get similar crashes on my own scripts on certain maps.  It always occurs at offset 01D254A9 in the Arma 3 engine, so it's most likely an engine problem with the model loader on AMD cards, if anything, but being able to fine tune what exactly spawns is one step closer to solving the problem.  Sadly it's not reportable to BIS on the grounds that it occurs based on mods and the exact cause hasn't been pinned down, either.

Very big thanks for the new features!  You never disappoint, my man. =)

Cheers jtgibson! I know what you mean about killing things. To be honest I'm usually in a very analytical frame of mind when engaging enemies because I'm more interested in whether my various scripts are affecting them properly. I find the simple expedient of putting shemags on enemies does help though...

It's really mystifying why SKIRMISH and AIR are giving you problems, since they are basically just spawning units and vehicles and giving them waypoints. As you say, might be an AMD issue, which makes me even less able to investigate with my GTX970. Are the crashes map specific? A long time ago AIR used to crash on Nziwasogo and Lingor.

Lastly, let me know how you go with screening the zombies out with tpw_civ_blacklist.

Yeah, they're definitely map specific.  I can play on some maps without any problems at all, while others are no-goes.  As I alluded to, my own createUnit spawner script I rigged up over the last couple of days (for aforementioned zombie mod) tends to crash Angel Island as well, whereas it works beautifully on CUP Everon.

[edit]Blacklisting working great so far.

Hey TPW, is there a way to keep the old "way" fall worked? The new unconscious animation is too long and I´ve noticed an overall drop on fps with this latest update on TPW, don´t know if it is new fall code to blame... anyways, I´ve reverted to 2506 version, but I don´t wanna miss the next improvements, is ther a way to keep fall the way it was when using the next TPW updates? (at least an userconfig option)

BTW, I don´t use the ragdoll effect, and I liked the way I could be hit, fall on my back, and 2 secs later fire back unaimed as a desparate defense act (and then roll to my belly and fire accurately while on prone lol)... I know the new way is more immersive and realistic but sometimes we want to be arma-badass "falling n gun blazing" ;)

cheers! 

• Like 1

Hey TPW, is there a way to keep the old "way" fall worked? The new unconscious animation is too long and I´ve noticed an overall drop on fps with this latest update on TPW, don´t know if it is new fall code to blame... anyways, I´ve reverted to 2506 version, but I don´t wanna miss the next improvements, is ther a way to keep fall the way it was when using the next TPW updates? (at least an userconfig option)

BTW, I don´t use the ragdoll effect, and I liked the way I could be hit, fall on my back, and 2 secs later fire back unaimed as a desparate defense act (and then roll to my belly and fire accurately while on prone lol)... I know the new way is more immersive and realistic but sometimes we want to be arma-badass "falling n gun blazing" ;)

cheers! 

I've left the old code in though, and if people find the new system problematic then I will make the old one an option.

:)

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback corporal_lib[br], which I value as always. There has indeed been a performance drop and it's due to some substandard rain/gunfire dispersal code in TPW CROWD (and overambitious defaults), which I have fixed and will release shortly. 

The new fall routines are actually significantly lighter on CPU, but as I said I will add some code to allow you the flexibility to chose which routines suit you best. I will release this in a day or so as well. 

• Like 1

Hi tpw, I have been using the mod for some time now to make maps come to life. Lately I have been integrating the script version in a mission(unreleased stuff mostly for educational purposes so far). In the mission I have made some minor changes to the script which might interest others:

1. Using _civ setSpeaker "NoVoice" when a civ (in civs, crowd or cars) is spawned. This seems to reduce/eliminate civs yelling out orders and observations.

2. In order to enable custom behaviour/actions on created civs I added the following when civs are created(in civs, crowd and cars):    

if (!(isNil "tpw_on_civ_spawned")) then {
  [_civ] call tpw_on_civ_spawned;
};

By adding tpw_on_civ_spawned function mission makers can then add custom actions or behaviour. A similar solution could also be used for vehicles. E.g. setting damage or adding items to car cargo and so on.

3. Enable custom handling of civs injured or killed  by adding the following to the end of tpw_civ_fnc_casualty (same principal as for spawned civs):   

if (!(isNil "tpw_on_civ_casualty")) then {
  [_civ, _shooter] call tpw_on_civ_casualty;
};

Im also a bit curious about this part at the end of  tpw_core.sqf, why can't the core script just terminate?

// DUMMY LOOP SO SCRIPT DOESN'T TERMINATE
while {true} do
  {
    sleep 10;
  };

I this related to the addon version somehow (the addon needs to keep running) or is there something else I'm not seeing? 

Hi nms, posts like yours make me glad that I release the script versions, thanks for your input and observations. I'll try silencing the noisy civs as per point 1 ASAP!

2,3, yep, you've noticed that there's plenty of potential to expand the system. I'm not going to do it, it's up to talented scripters such as yourself to fit their specific needs.

4 is related to the addon version, so that the script will resume properly after loading a saved game.

Thanks again mate

TPW MODS 20160711: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20160711.zip

Changes:

• [bLEEDOUT 1.23] Bleedout functions not applied to crowd civs. 
  • [CIVS 1.46, CROWD 1.02] Optimised rain and gunfire dispersal code for significant decrease in CPU usage. Civs no longer call out (thanks nms). 
  • [FALL 1.47] User selectable ragdolling. Those using builds > 137290 can use setunconscious ragdolling (default), physx & unit replacement kludge ragdolling, or no ragdolling. Those using builds < 137290 can choose physx & unit replacement kludge ragdolling, or no ragdolling. Units will use animated falls for low damage hits and falls from height. Increased yelling volume when hit.
  • Please update your tpw_mods.hpp

Enjoy (or not).

• Like 2

Yay! Seems to be working great now, TPW! Good to have the option to toogle between FALL options, if I want a more indepth/realistic experience, I change to FALL ragdoll = 1, right now I´m on ragdoll=0. so I can have the "last stand" (shooting unaimed while falling on my back) ;D

Your mod is essential to my Arma3 experience, I can´t play without (tried to play teh APex campaign as close to vanilla as possible, but I still used TPW mod, bloodlust, headgore, reduced stamina and enhanced moviment, or else I can´t enjoy any mission on A3 =)

So far I haven´t noticed any puddle at all, thou it is activated on my userconfig and I´ve experienced many missions under rain or random weather routines... does my nvidia GTS 250 can´t handle it? Same thing with CROWD, it is activated (it is independet of CIV module right? civs are deactivated on my settings) but so far I haven´t noticed extra civilians on the missions I´ve played, apex campaign included! Anyways, it´s not ruining my experience but neither adding anything up lol

The framerate seems to be back to 1st july release standards, great fixes on this update!

Cheers!

Gday corporal_lib[br], glad that things have returned to normal FPS wise, thanks again for your contributions.

TPW PUDDLE: It's absolutely definitely working and is enabled by default. You will only see puddles on pretty flat surfaces though, just like real life. The best way is to move to an airfield somewhere, they're generally flat enough. If you're standing somewhere flat type into the debug shell:

hint str (count tpw_puddle_usednums)

This will tell you how many puddles are active nearby.

Similarly for TPW CROWDS. Crowds will only ever spawn if you're within 100m of a few buildings. So go to a town somewhere, wait a minute or so to allow them to spawn, and type

hint str (count tpw_crowd_array)

This will tell you how many crowd civilians are nearby.

Let me know what sort of numbers you're getting and I'll see if I can help.

Puddles on Tanoa are awesome. Immersion never felt so complete!

Puddles on Tanoa are awesome. Immersion never felt so complete!

If you're completely immersed then I've done something wrong since the puddles are meant to be only 1 inch deep...

Seriously though, many thanks for the kind words, I worked really hard to get puddles working and it's nice to know that people  think they enhance their game experience.

• Like 1

Hi TPW,

Great work keep it up. 

Now on to some findings - under skirmish if I set an enemy vehicle reference for OpFor, it does not show up. I am unsure if the script only allows CARS?

The specific item is actually a TANK as defined by the original mod and I can use it with the game editor EDEN.

Is it possible to specify TANK or ARMOR in a future update such  as MOD_TANKxxx where the xxx are variable for tank, tank2 for example?

Actual setting:

tpw_skirmish_enemyvehiclestring = "sab_EXT_";

From Sabre's EXT Mod

Also, would it be possible to specify OpFOR air units including helis and planes? 

While enable CAS for NATO side, I noticed it can actually crush OpFor fairly hard. It would be good to equalize it bit or at least throw in an enemy interceptor there to counter balance it.

Lastly, related to CIV blacklist, would love to have a CARS and PARK blacklist to allow more cars into the mod while keeping it manageable.

the ga

I added some cars from Jonzie's Mega Car Mod and I3lueVein Wheels manually  but it would crash if I also load up  RDS Civilian pack.  If I can black list some of the cars, it can work without overloading the game. 

Jonzie's pack prefix with Jonzie_ and BlueVein's with bv_.

I noticed your code allows it choose from all the cars eventually, but having the car blacklist help keep the cars count down and only allow a few cars.

I also did the same for PARK which allows a wider car variety at the expense of RAM. Again, adding Jonzie and BlueVein's car pack WITH a blacklist can help keep it more manageable then allow ALL the cars in all packs to eventually spawn.

I'm currently playing, ahem... testing UNS Halo Marines with Nato vs Extra Terrestrials by mixing CSAT Vipers and EXT mod  similar to the TV Series Falling Skies. Its the closest way I can play XCOM in ARMA until Bad Benson ports his Alienz mod or others step in. 

• Like 1

tpw, I'm really damn tired of having to download updates.  I mean really, this COMPLETELY FREE addon that continues to have content added (much of which is EXACTLY what I'm looking for...like crowds!) gets constant maintenance.  Won't you think of the inconvenience?  And now you want me to download another update, not just for performance gains, but also to make the hit/rag-dolling better...probably the single-biggest, most awesome-est part of the mod?  Oh, AND you give me the scripts to run independently?  That's just crazy talk.

And in case it isn't apparent over the internet, a HUGE thanks for continuing to keep this going!

• Like 3

Thanks gatordev, testimonials like that are why I continue to work on my mods!

Valken, thanks again for all the input. I will add a simple car whitelisting function to CARS and PARK so that you may specify car strings for inclusion. Re skirmish: sounds like you might need to move on to a more comprehensive system. Skirmish is not meant to be a full battle simulator with armour, air etc. It's based on current US doctrine of only putting boots on the ground when there is overwhelming logistical support, which means the enemy won't be calling airstrikes etc. Sorry about that, but that's a decision I made several years ago.

TPW_STEAM?.......it can get hot and sweaty when your deep in the jungle.  :P

.I0000T6fMhy0.szU.jpg  I0000nmsbJIsDcwU.jpg