tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

For me, TPW_FALL and HUD are essentials, if you disappear and TPW_Mods break due to BIS constant messing with their engine, I guess I´d regretably uninstall A3 for good ;)

My essentials list is: TPW_Mods (at least Fall, Rain and HUD), tao_map, jump_mf, vts_gestures, mag_repack, switch_weaponwhilemoving, blood_mist, MOCAP and enchancedMovements, thou the later is broken and BB is waiting for a new PC to fix it...

cheers!

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I'm very grateful that some of you find my mods essential. I'm not planning on disappearing any time soon! Periodically Arma3 goes into such a state of flux that I have trouble maintaining the desire to keep working on my mods. I consider the last few weeks to be such a flux, so I'm just stepping back until things settle down. This is no slight on the devs, on the contrary I'm grateful that they continue to work so diligently. I'm also not about to take my footy and go home just because their priorities are different than mine (although I would appreciate the invisible/paralysed ambient animals be fixed right !@#$ing now).

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, But is EBS still recommended since the AI suppresion patch from BI was implemented a few months ago?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, But is EBS still recommended since the AI suppresion patch from BI was implemented a few months ago?

No mate, it's disabled by default now.

No mate, it's disabled by default now.

Thank you for the fast reply!

I concur with Cpl Lib...without TPW I think I would can A3.

HUD, Skirmish, all the civilian, animal, cars, planes, lights, music, falldown...good grief they practically take a cardboard cutout of a game and breath live into it. You've turned Pinnocio into real boy TPW :-)

I do understand the state of flux thing though. I think the lastest switchup with CBA, ACE3 and Marksmen was the craziest I've seen. Hang in there man...please dont Drongo out on us :-)

B

Edited by BadLucky1776

;2946123']For me' date=' TPW_FALL and HUD are essentials, if you disappear and TPW_Mods break due to BIS constant messing with their engine, I guess I´d regretably uninstall A3 for good ;)

My essentials list is: TPW_Mods (at least Fall, Rain and HUD), tao_map, jump_mf, vts_gestures, mag_repack, switch_weaponwhilemoving, blood_mist, MOCAP and enchancedMovements, thou the later is broken and BB is waiting for a new PC to fix it...

cheers![/quote']

Agreed. This mod adds so much to the game. I have only been using a few of the features lately and those alone add immense immersion. Seeing raindrops hit the windshield, heat haze rising off the ground on hot summer days, breathing foggy breath, these little things really make a huge difference.

I am so paranoid after the bootcamp debacle that I have only updated the game ONCE since. I simply refuse to take the chance that the custom recoil, sway and fatigue will be lost forever and I couldn't fathom dealing with the outrageous version that BI implemented a while back. Not to mention the innumerable other mods that would surely be lost. I keep trying to work up the nerve to update but the risk-reward is too lopsided at this point. I'd love to try shooting from vehicles and the like, but the risk is simply too great to justify it.

The biggest problem with the state of Arma for me is the AI still shooting like robots. I am truly astonished that no modder has fixed this game-breaking distraction yet with all the impressive mods floating around.

TPW, you are obviously talented, how would you like to give it a shot? I realize you do not deal heavily with AI, but its worth a shot to ask.

Love the mod!

What do you mean by bootcamp debacle? I haven't been playing for more than a year now.

Yay!

The biggest problem with the state of Arma for me is the AI still shooting like robots. I am truly astonished that no modder has fixed this game-breaking distraction yet with all the impressive mods floating around.

Arma series has this AI sniperfest since A1... on A2 I used HD (high dispersion) mod which cause bots to have a great dispersion which simulated inaccuracy... on A3, firstly I´ve used Zeus AI skill, then Drongos Ai skill mods, and indeed Bootcamp DLC fubared both, but guess what? Using this mod -> http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?189122-All-The-Weapons&highlight=twisted+weapon I disable the weapon randomization (just delete the tws_randWeapons.pbo file and keep tws_aimFix.pbo, and bots are HUMAN again...

But TPW could be challenge to solve the Ai issue without too much of a hacked job like this...

cheers!

The biggest problem with the state of Arma for me is the AI still shooting like robots. I am truly astonished that no modder has fixed this game-breaking distraction yet with all the impressive mods floating around.[...]

You might have missed out that such AI enhancement mods already exist since quite a long time.

Currently still working and being maintained:

ASR AI

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24080

bCombat

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23969

For more AI related things such as enhancements, tweaking, news and such I recommend you taking a look at this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175400

The biggest problem with the state of Arma for me is the AI still shooting like robots.

;2952693']Arma series has this AI sniperfest since A1... on A2 I used HD (high dispersion) mod which cause bots to have a great dispersion which simulated inaccuracy... on A3' date=' firstly I´ve used Zeus AI skill, then Drongos Ai skill mods, and indeed Bootcamp DLC fubared both, but guess what? Using this mod -> [url']http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?189122-All-The-Weapons&highlight=twisted+weapon[/url] I disable the weapon randomization (just delete the tws_randWeapons.pbo file and keep tws_aimFix.pbo, and bots are HUMAN again...

Seriously guys?

I decided to let go of the AI mods recently - mainly because I wanted to play the campaign without conflicts or glitches, and to my surprise, I didn't feel like playing against robots.

I don't know if it has been tweaked with the Marskman DLC, but I found that the AI will often miss : it actuallty feels like being suppressed rather than being sniped by killing machines.

I suggest you guys give the stock AI another try. ;)

Seriously guys?

I decided to let go of the AI mods recently - mainly because I wanted to play the campaign without conflicts or glitches, and to my surprise, I didn't feel like playing against robots.

I don't know if it has been tweaked with the Marskman DLC, but I found that the AI will often miss : it actuallty feels like being suppressed rather than being sniped by killing machines.

I wonder if most players feeling the AI is too accurate, have never played against humans. To me the problem with AI is their spotting ability. AI spots much better than humans, but once a human player has spotted you, you're dead.

What do you mean by bootcamp debacle? I haven't been playing for more than a year now.

Yay!

The 'Bootcamp' update, along with breaking virtually every modded sound in existence, introduced new fatigue, sway, and recoil which absolutely ruined the infantry experience for me. I now felt like a drunken 12 year old girl who was trying to shoot with a broken arm. If I wasn't able to tone it down with mods, I would probably only play arma for vehicle combat. It was that bad. With this in mind, and the frequency of mods broken by updates (possibly including essentials like sway_fix which are no longer maintained), I have only updated once since that experience.

;2952693']Arma series has this AI sniperfest since A1... on A2 I used HD (high dispersion) mod which cause bots to have a great dispersion which simulated inaccuracy... on A3' date=' firstly I´ve used Zeus AI skill, then Drongos Ai skill mods, and indeed Bootcamp DLC fubared both, but guess what? Using this mod -> [url']http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?189122-All-The-Weapons&highlight=twisted+weapon[/url] I disable the weapon randomization (just delete the tws_randWeapons.pbo file and keep tws_aimFix.pbo, and bots are HUMAN again...

But TPW could be challenge to solve the Ai issue without too much of a hacked job like this...

cheers!

That mod tweaks AI? I skimmed the link but didn't read anything about it. But that's not my actual concern with the AI exactly.

Accuracy is one thing that has been successfully tweaked already. The robotic tendency of AI firing precise bursts in that mind numbing repetition is what I despise. I swear every time the AI starts shooting in the exact same burst with the exact same delay between each it sounds more like the beat to a song than a firefight between humans.

You might have missed out that such AI enhancement mods already exist since quite a long time.

Currently still working and being maintained:

ASR AI

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24080

bCombat

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23969

For more AI related things such as enhancements, tweaking, news and such I recommend you taking a look at this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175400

Nope. Tried those and FFIS as well. I think there has been a misunderstanding and I should have been more clear. When I say the AI "shoots like robots" I am not referring to their accuracy. Instead, its the constantly shooting in exactly the same bursts over and over that drives me up a wall. Its determined by distance. So, depending on how far away the enemy, the AI will fire exactly like you would expect a robot to, not a human in a firefight.

Nothing breaks immersion quite like a machine gunner firing the exact same 5 round burst exactly every 3 seconds over and over. Hover in a chopper with a door gunner and listen to him spray at infantry with the EXACT same number of shots and the EXACT delay between each for a good demonstration. And no AI mod has fixed this (that I am aware of). Trust me I have tried them all.

Seriously guys?

One reason I would love to test the current AI is that BI apparently implemented some randomness to the AI firing patterns. So they finally shouldn't still be firing in exact bursts anymore. That is the main reason I want to update. But if the update breaks the sway, recoil and fatigue mods I am using (which are no longer maintained!), the AI actually firing like a human wouldn't really matter as it would destroy my enjoyment of infantry combat altogether anyway.

** I know absolutely nothing about modding whatsoever. But coming from a layman point of view, changing the AI firing pattern to include the tiniest hint of randomness doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. Especially for the guys who alter the behavior of AI in so many other intricate ways. This problem has persisted since the game launched and with all the additions and alterations this community has provided, its perplexing that no one has tackled this issue that affects every player and drastically decreases the enjoyment of Arma overall.

TPW, fix this and ill call you King.

Edited by SouthernSmoke
** Addition

How do I enable the TPW GUI? I found the TPW Settings zip, unzipped the following folders

assets

exec

fileio

gui

META-INF

mods

Reading the installation instructions for the GUI, I placed them in my @TPW_MODS/userconfig/TPW_MODS folder. I launched the game and don't see any TPW GUI anywhere. I see my ACE3 Options icon in the top left corner of my main menu screen. TPW shows as it's up and running. I just cant find how to access the GUI.

I use the A3 Launcher to enable my Mods. The method where you direct the launcher to a specific folder.

The GUI is not embedded in the game, but rather an external executable. It seems like you downloaded the entire git repo, and placed the source (non-compiled) files in the wrong folder.

The .jar (the executable file) should be already in the TPW MODS package you've downloaded and installed, inside Arma's /userconfig/TPW_MODS folder (not @TPW_MODS/userconfig/TPW_MODS). If it's not:

- Manually download the repository from git using the 'Download ZIP' button in the right pane

- Extract TPW SETTINGS.jar file from the /executable folder (you just need this file)

- Place it alongside TPW_MODS.hpp in Arma's userconfig/TPW_MODS/ folder (not @TPW_MODS folder)

- Run it by double clicking on it.

On the other hand, you could try and run the .bat that should take care of everything for you, placing a shortcut to the GUI on your desktop. It doesn't seem to work for everyone though.

Yay!

The "how to actually run the application" question I should have asked. I was doing everything correctly. I had assumed I could access the GUI from the A3 main menu. WRONG!

Thanks for your assistance guys.

EDIT: I cannot locate the Settings.jar file. It's not in the /exec folder and it's not in the Arma3/userconfig. There's a Settings zip file, but not the .jar

In my folders:

A3 Mods/@TPW_MODS/userconfig/TPW_MODS

assets(folder)

exec(folder)

fileio(folder)

gui(folder)

META-INF(folder)

mods(folder)

error

hudicons_key

REVERT

TPW Settings(Zip file)

TPW_MODS.hpp

Edited by Bad_Karma

Hi folks, needing a little help with tpw_skirmish module...i want to create areas of the map where skirmish is deactivated via a trigger, but i am unsure how to do it.:confused:

Can anyone advise me how to set up a trigger for such a scenario. :thanx:

Edited by evil-organ

The "how to actually run the application" question I should have asked. I was doing everything correctly. I had assumed I could access the GUI from the A3 main menu. WRONG!

Thanks for your assistance guys.

EDIT: I cannot locate the Settings.jar file. It's not in the /exec folder and it's not in the Arma3/userconfig. There's a Settings zip file, but not the .jar

In my folders:

A3 Mods/@TPW_MODS/userconfig/TPW_MODS

assets(folder)

exec(folder)

fileio(folder)

gui(folder)

META-INF(folder)

mods(folder)

error

hudicons_key

REVERT

TPW Settings(Zip file)

TPW_MODS.hpp

Welp.

Allright let's step this through.

- Delete everyhting you've downloaded related to TPW or the GUI.

- Download the latest from https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20150413.zip

- Unzip the package

- Double click on install.bat

- Follow the instructions

Provided no errors occured you should be set with a shortcut to TPW SETTINGS.jar on your desktop.

If that didn't work:

- Download the latest from https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20150413.zip

- Unzip the package

- Copy @TPW_MODS in Arma 3 root game folder

- Copy @TPW_MODS/userconfig folder in Arma 3 root game folder (this is important)

- Run TPW_SETTINGS.jar in Arma 3/userconfig/TPW_MODS (not from Arma 3/@TPW_MODS/userconfig/TPW_MODS)

If you still can't get it to work grab TeamViewer and send me a PM.

Yay!

How about that for mod support :).

Welp.

Allright let's step this through.

- Unzip the package

- Double click on install.bat

- Follow the instructions

Provided no errors occured you should be set with a shortcut to TPW SETTINGS.jar on your desktop.

If that didn't work:

- Unzip the package

- Copy @TPW_MODS in Arma 3 root game folder

- Copy @TPW_MODS/userconfig folder in Arma 3 root game folder (this is important)

- Run TPW_SETTINGS.jar in Arma 3/userconfig/TPW_MODS (not from Arma 3/@TPW_MODS/userconfig/TPW_MODS)

Yay!

The first method of using the install feature did not work. What ended up on my desktop was a shortcut to the .zip file "TPW SETTINGS.zip". I'm running windows 8.1 so I don't know if that has to do anything with the problem. I also had to install WinRAR because for some reason Win8.1 wasn't showing the "extract files" feature by default for some of the other mods I'd downloaded. I clicked on the desktop shortcut, the zip extracted the files to Arma 3/userconfig/TPW_MODS folder. The extracted files via the Desktop Shortcut(files I originally listed in my previous reply) are all there(Arma 3/userconfig/TPW_MODS) but there's no TPW Settings file to launch the GUI. There is however another TPW Settings.zip in that folder.

The second method, when I go to the Steam/Arma3/userconfig/TPW_MODS folder, the TPW SETTINGS file is a zip file. You said to "run" the file. I assume much like running the installer. My only option is to "extract". By run did you mean extract the zip files? Either way after extracting the files from the TPW SETTINGS.zip the folders I listed above(in my previous reply) all show up, but no TPW SETTINGS file to launch the GUI.

FYI these are the exact methods I'd been using via the installation instructions on the Download page prior to posting my issue. Both manual installation and via the installer.

Edited by Bad_Karma

Do you have file extensions enabled? What may be happening is that the JVM isn't installed or is misconfigured on your PC, and being .jar files compressed packages (although executable) your OS may be showing you the .zip icon and prompting decompression.

Sorry I didn't actually grasp the issue, turns out you were doing everything correctly. Point is, what you see as a compressed package is the collection of Java compiled classes for the GUI, and should be executed and not decompressed.

Check your JVM status here and update if needed.

Yay!

Do you have file extensions enabled? What may be happening is that the JVM isn't installed or is misconfigured on your PC, and being .jar files compressed packages (although executable) your OS may be showing you the .zip icon and prompting decompression.

Sorry I didn't actually grasp the issue, turns out you were doing everything correctly. Point is, what you see as a compressed package is the collection of Java compiled classes for the GUI, and should be executed and not decompressed.

Check your JVM status here and update if needed.

Yay!

That was it!:yay: Many thanks my friend. Apparently my new gaming rig didn't have Java installed, or it wasn't properly set up. I haven't messed around with many mods since my Rome Total War days. I knew something was odd when that damned Settings zip kept appearing. Once I installed Java and ran the test to ensure it was operating correctly, I removed TPW, extracted the mod from the zip and the settings.jar file was there right off the bat. It's been there all along without Java running on my system it was as you said, reading the .jar file as a zip file.

Now that I have access to the control panel, when I create a specific "Save File"(I'm assuming you create multiple settings profiles for different game modes) in the TPW GUI, how do I manage which saved profile I want use when launching A3? Can I load a specific settings file in game? Or do I remove the one's I don't want to use(saved away in a folder) and just use the save profile I need for the specific game mode or scenario I'm playing?

As far as the actual TPW Mods, I'm not seeing the TPW Enhanced HUD in my games or game modes. I see streetlights, hear animals, see animals, hear radios, see cars, see aircraft, the "fall" feature is working when I'm hit or hit enemies. The HUD however, I see no difference with TPW on/off.

Since I'm running ACE 3, I've read that I should disable Animations in the GUI because it can effect some of the ACE3 Medical animations and ACE3 dragging. True/False?

-I cannot disable "Animations" in the GUI because it's greyed out. I was directed in another thread to simply remove the tpw_animspeed.pbo and the tpw_animspeed.pbo.tp. Is that correct? FIXED

-If I still want to KEEP the "Fall" effect(getting hit by blasts or bullets causes your character and AI to fall to the ground) will disabling Animations have any effect on the "Fall" animation? SOLVED

-What exactly does "Skirmishes" do. I read the description and get the general concept. I'm just wondering how the dynamics work. If I'm running a campaign scenario, would you suggest leaving Skirmishes on? Will it adversely effect my campaign? I'd prefer to have random skirmishes break out on my map, however I don't know if it will cause any conflicts in my current campaign. My current campaign is "Hunter Six - Special Operations Unit".

Edited by Bad_Karma

That was it!:yay: Many thanks my friend. Apparently my new gaming rig didn't have Java installed, or it wasn't properly set up. I haven't messed around with many mods since my Rome Total War days. I knew something was odd when that damned Settings zip kept appearing. Once I installed Java and ran the test to ensure it was operating correctly, I removed TPW, extracted the mod from the zip and the settings.jar file was there right off the bat. It's been there all along without Java running on my system it was as you said, reading the .jar file as a zip file.
Glad we solved the issue.
Now that I have access to the control panel, when I create a specific "Save File"(I'm assuming you create multiple settings profiles for different game modes) in the TPW GUI, how do I manage which saved profile I want use when launching A3? Can I load a specific settings file in game? Or do I remove the one's I don't want to use(saved away in a folder) and just use the save profile I need for the specific game mode or scenario I'm playing?
Unfortunately you have to use the GUI while the game is not running for any changes you make to have effect: you can't do it ingame or while the games is tabbed out. This is an engine limitation.

Regarding presets, you can save how many you want and select one before starting the game using the dropdown on the upper left hand corner of the GUI. So let's say you want a preset for campaigns and one for editor usage: just select the one you want with the dropdown and the GUI will automatically swap the necessary files in your folders.

As far as the actual TPW Mods, I'm not seeing the TPW Enhanced HUD in my games or game modes. I see streetlights, hear animals, see animals, hear radios, see cars, see aircraft, the "fall" feature is working when I'm hit or hit enemies. The HUD however, I see no difference with TPW on/off.
Make sure you have tactical glasses equipped.
Since I'm running ACE 3, I've read that I should disable Animations in the GUI because it can effect some of the ACE3 Medical animations and ACE3 dragging. True/False?
I have no idea, sorry.
-What exactly does "Skirmishes" do. I read the description and get the general concept. I'm just wondering how the dynamics work. If I'm running a campaign scenario, would you suggest leaving Skirmishes on? Will it adversely effect my campaign? I'd prefer to have random skirmishes break out on my map, however I don't know if it will cause any conflicts in my current campaign. My current campaign is "Hunter Six - Special Operations Unit".
You should probably disable them for campaign plays. That module is fun to play around with if you're just exploring the island with the editor and want to see or take part in some action, or as an in-promptu multiplayer PvE mode.

Yay!