tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

I'm having problems with the Skirmish module, since the new bootcamp patch.

Friendlies keep shooting at me, they look like NATO, but they engage me on sight. One time I saw a Nato team leader leading an armed civilian and an Iranian AA.

I've deleted everything, reinstalled, turned off other mods but I can't find the problem. This wasn't happening prior to the 1.24 patch.

EDIT: Was editing the userconfig under @TPW_mods instead of the the one in the normal userconfig file, ugh, feel like an idiot.

Great mod btw, nice to see another Brisbanite.

Edited by Phlux1

Does the new ragdoll version send bodies into the air when killed by explosions? At first I didn't think it did so I had another ragdoll mod installed for that effect. I decided to try tpw fall on its own again to see what would happen and I got the perfect ragdoll effects. So with the other ragdoll mod out, all of a sudden bodies were properly being knocked back by explosions perfectly.

After a while of enjoying it I noticed I wasn't falling when hit by bullets or explosions which was strange but ragdolls were great. I was playing one day and starting falling again when hit and that's when I realized the ragdoll effects were gone. I have periodically removed my other ragdoll mod and played with twp fall on only to see if I could recreate those nice ragdolls but it hasn't returned. Bodies just slump over when a rocket impacts near them. When it was working (?) properly bodies would be knocked back by the force.

Some clarification would be greatly appreciated. Also there is a problem when in a vehicle. The player and ai can fall inside the vehicle when hit. If someone is in the back of a truck on the 50. and the truck runs into a rock that player will fall and still control the gun while laying down.

EDIT: "Do not expect or ask for Hollywood style ragdolling with bodies flying from bullet hits. A hit unit simply drops." If that means bodies will not leave the ground even when near explosions then Im very confused now. I am certain explosions would cause bodies to leave their feet when only tpw mods and no other ragdoll mod was installed.

Edited by SouthernSmoke

Does the new ragdoll version send bodies into the air when killed by explosions? At first I didn't think it did so I had another ragdoll mod installed for that effect. I decided to try tpw fall on its own again to see what would happen and I got the perfect ragdoll effects. So with the other ragdoll mod out, all of a sudden bodies were properly being knocked back by explosions perfectly.

After a while of enjoying it I noticed I wasn't falling when hit by bullets or explosions which was strange but ragdolls were great. I was playing one day and starting falling again when hit and that's when I realized the ragdoll effects were gone. I have periodically removed my other ragdoll mod and played with twp fall on only to see if I could recreate those nice ragdolls but it hasn't returned. Bodies just slump over when a rocket impacts near them. When it was working (?) properly bodies would be knocked back by the force.

Some clarification would be greatly appreciated. Also there is a problem when in a vehicle. The player and ai can fall inside the vehicle when hit. If someone is in the back of a truck on the 50. and the truck runs into a rock that player will fall and still control the gun while laying down.

EDIT: "Do not expect or ask for Hollywood style ragdolling with bodies flying from bullet hits. A hit unit simply drops." If that means bodies will not leave the ground even when near explosions then Im very confused now. I am certain explosions would cause bodies to leave their feet when only tpw mods and no other ragdoll mod was installed.

Hi SouthernSmoke

The trouble with ragdolling units is that it is basically a kludge in lieu of BIS giving us real ragdoll commands. You should always see dead bodies flying away from explosions, because they are invoking the built in death ragdolling that we modders don't have access to. With TPW FALL, explosions that injure but not kill a unit will either cause an animated fall for lower damage, or ragdolling for higher damage. Neither of these injured ragdollings will be flung away from the explosion. It's not perfect but it's better than vanilla IMHO.

TPW FALL explicitly checks whether a hit unit is in a vehicle (a mounted weapon counts as a vehicle) and will not invoke ragdolling if so. If you are seeing hit units lying down in vehicles then I'd suggest that it's vanilla behaviour. Of course I'm not 100% certain of this so I will check into it.

The installer is technically ready, I just have to do some testing. I also need a valiant guinea pig to check if everything works on other configurations. No need of the JVM this time since I used batch scripting.

Yay!

EDIT: Let me tell you that whoever participated in the conjuring of batch scripting language had one hell of an imagination.

@tpw: The installer is ready. It should work perfectly from now to eternity, no need to update it like TPW SETTINGS unless I throw in some new feautures or bug fixes. I'll need to modify it only in case you change the files in the "userconfig" folder, or if you rename the root "@TPW_MODS" folder.

All you have to do is place "install.bat" and "shortcut.exe" in your archive, at the same level of "@TPW_MODS". Now one, after uncompressing, just needs to run the ".bat" file from wherever he uncompressed the archive to successfully install the package.

I'll upload everything this late evening/night.

Next step will be a C++ written program that will automatically update the ".hpp" (and any user presets) whenever you add parameters to it.

Edited by Gliptal

Hi SouthernSmoke

The trouble with ragdolling units is that it is basically a kludge in lieu of BIS giving us real ragdoll commands. You should always see dead bodies flying away from explosions, because they are invoking the built in death ragdolling that we modders don't have access to. With TPW FALL, explosions that injure but not kill a unit will either cause an animated fall for lower damage, or ragdolling for higher damage. Neither of these injured ragdollings will be flung away from the explosion. It's not perfect but it's better than vanilla IMHO.

TPW FALL explicitly checks whether a hit unit is in a vehicle (a mounted weapon counts as a vehicle) and will not invoke ragdolling if so. If you are seeing hit units lying down in vehicles then I'd suggest that it's vanilla behaviour. Of course I'm not 100% certain of this so I will check into it.

I have never personally seen dead bodies fly away from explosions without any ragdoll mods installed. In vanilla Arma 3 dead bodies will always go limp and just fall over, even if a mine explodes at their feet, missile impacts beside them, ect. They always will fall where they stand. I had to use mods to give dead bodies that functionality. If tpw fall did not do this despite being the only ragdoll mod installed at the time I can assume it was the vanilla game ragdolls?

Great mod tpw, I wouldn't want to play without it!

EDIT: After reading on these forums for a while I believe some Arma 3 update must have introduced "flying" ragdolls so dead bodies are forced back by explosions and I just didn't notice because I was using a ragdoll mod. When I uninstalled the ragdoll mod I just assumed it was "tpw fall" that had added that effect. The 1.24 update must have ruined those ragdolls as it did with so much else.

Edited by SouthernSmoke

The installer is technically ready, I just have to do some testing. I also need a valiant guinea pig to check if everything works on other configurations. No need of the JVM this time since I used batch scripting.

Yay!

EDIT: Let me tell you that whoever participated in the conjuring of batch scripting language had one hell of an imagination.

@tpw: The installer is ready. It should work perfectly from now to eternity, no need to update it like TPW SETTINGS unless I throw in some new feautures or bug fixes. I'll need to modify it only in case you change the files in the "userconfig" folder, or if you rename the root "@TPW_MODS" folder.

All you have to do is place "install.bat" and "shortcut.exe" in your archive, at the same level of "@TPW_MODS". Now one, after uncompressing, just needs to run the ".bat" file from wherever he uncompressed the archive to successfully install the package.

I'll upload everything this late evening/night.

Next step will be a C++ written program that will automatically update the ".hpp" (and any user presets) whenever you add parameters to it.

Wow, great news Gliptal! Are you sure you're not neglecting your studies?!?!

Upload it and I'll give it a bit of a test.

Thanks mate

Wow, great news Gliptal! Are you sure you're not neglecting your studies?!?!

Upload it and I'll give it a bit of a test.

Thanks mate

Yeah today I really had enough about algorithms and decided to change a bit.

This should work both on 64bit and 32bit machines, although I managed to test only on 64bit. Here is the git link.

Yay!

This may seem like a stupid question but does anybody know to to get a custom faction to appear using the Skirmish mode, anytime i wish to use Massi's USMC units it reverts back to NATO or only allows me to use one unit type ie, Rifleman.

This may seem like a stupid question but does anybody know to to get a custom faction to appear using the Skirmish mode, anytime i wish to use Massi's USMC units it reverts back to NATO or only allows me to use one unit type ie, Rifleman.

Have a look here and see if this helps.

Hello tpw,

I'm trying to use your Hud by script method.

I've put "tpw_core" and "tpw_hud" in my custom mission folder (scripts\TPW). Everything is working nice exept icons, that are not dispayed. So I extracted them from your addon version, I put paa files into "scripts\TPW\icons" and I updated tpw_hud to show it the new path. For example:

// SELECT ICONS
tpw_hud_fnc_icon =
{
private ["_num"];
_num = _this select 0;
switch _num do
	{
	case 0:
		{
		tpw_hud_icon = "scripts\TPW\icons\empty.paa";
		};

But icons are still missing: "Cannot load texture scripts\tpw\icons\3px_diamond_open.paa"... What do I do wrong ?

Edited by Gemini

Have a look here and see if this helps.
Oh you're back. I was afraid my scrupt had blewn up your pc or something. :D

Yay!

Oh you're back. I was afraid my scrupt had blewn up your pc or something. :D

Yay!

Ha! If my computer was going to die my shit code would have killed it long ago. I've been working with Das Attorney to get shell based suppression working again, hence the absence. I did test your installer and it seems to work mate, thank you.

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

Hello tpw,

I'm trying to use your Hud by script method.

I've put "tpw_core" and "tpw_hud" in my custom mission folder (scripts\TPW). Everything is working nice exept icons, that are not dispayed. So I extract them from your addon version, I put paa files into "scripts\TPW\icons" and I updated tpw_hud to show it the new path. For example:

// SELECT ICONS
tpw_hud_fnc_icon =
{
private ["_num"];
_num = _this select 0;
switch _num do
	{
	case 0:
		{
		tpw_hud_icon = "scripts\TPW\icons\empty.paa";
		};

But icons are still missing: "Cannot load texture scripts\tpw\icons\3px_diamond_open.paa"... What do I do wrong ?

Making a totally script only version is going to be a bit of a stretch, because the HUD also uses various controls. You really should be running tpw_hud.pbo which provides everything the HUD needs.

Thanks for your reply tpw :)

Too bad :( Especially because all features are perfectly working exept icons that the script doesn't want to find in the mission folder.

Has anyone run into an issue with Fall where, after you get knocked down, you get stuck in combat stance (as if you've pressed "C") and you can no longer lower your rifle and your character's breathing remains heavy/laboured?

Actually that rings a bell! Have had this happen a few times bur thought it was something else.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it.

EDIT: Are you guys running BLEEDOUT too? If you take a hit and your health drops below certain thresholds then faitgue fx will kick in.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it.

EDIT: Are you guys running BLEEDOUT too? If you take a hit and your health drops below certain thresholds then fatigue fx will kick in.

No, I'm not running BLEEDOUT.

One other thing I noticed: I set `tpw_fall_player = 0;` to `false`, but I still get knocked down by bullets. Is another setting cancelling that one out or am I just misunderstanding what that setting is supposed to do? I was thinking that it would disable FALL for the player but not for AI.

tpw_fall_player = 0 will stop the player from falling over from height and when hit by bullets/explosions. tpw_fall_player=1 will enable this behaviour. Setting tpw_fall_player=false will not work, it needs to be either 1 or 0.

Are you running any other mods that might be conflicting with TPW MODS?

tpw, I'm having an issue where the music for my mission (which plays via script, called at initialisation) is silenced after about 9 seconds of game time.

I'm not running anything but your addons and the latest version of CBA.

Even more interesting is that this unwelcome music nuking only occurs when tpw_fall is active, looks like it might tie in with the init of the fall component (which I had set to 10 seconds in the userconfig).

Does this component affect or play music in any way?

Edited by CameronMcDonald

Cameron, have your tried new CBA on its own to see if the problem still exists ? The music lag is probably due to 'somethingTM' being initialised :)

tpw_fall_player = 0 will stop the player from falling over from height and when hit by bullets/explosions. tpw_fall_player=1 will enable this behaviour. Setting tpw_fall_player=false will not work, it needs to be either 1 or 0.
Actually, setting it to "false" would probably evaluate as true.

Yay!

Cameron, have your tried new CBA on its own to see if the problem still exists ? The music lag is probably due to 'somethingTM' being initialised :)

Oh, naturally - CBA on its own works just fine. :) It's definitely tied to something tpw's mods are doing. The music only cuts out when tpw_fall is active (I've tested it with and without the rest of the tpw components).

Interesting new development - setting tpw_fall_delay to 20 in the userconfig solves the problem. 20 seconds in, the music doesn't cut out.