tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

=================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Hi tpw, i suggested a few pages back about the possibility of adding smoke stacks to random houses and factories, an effect that would bring a little more life to the maps.

Do you think it would make for a feasible addition to your realism/immersion mod pack.

Another aspect of Arma which i think could do with some enhancement is muzzle flash and smoke, although we seem to have the muzzle flash, there is a lack of smoke after rounds have been fired.

Something along these lines.

If anything it's a little food for thought......

Edited by evil-organ
lousy spelling!

Hi tpw, i suggested a few pages back about the possibility of adding smoke stacks to random houses and factories, an effect that would bring a little more life to the maps.

Do you think it would make for a feasible addition to your realism/immersion mod pack.

Another aspect of Arma which i think could do with some enhancement is muzzle flash and smoke, although we seem to have the muzzle flash, there is a lack of smoke after rounds have been fired.

Something along these lines.

If anything it's a little food for thought......

Hi EO

I did in fact look into the chimney smoke thing after your earlier post. It's fairly trivial to spawn nice looking smoke particles using some predefined BIS entries, but it's very very tricky to get them coming nicely out of the various chimneys. There's no chimney buildingpos unfortunately (or if there is I don't know how to access it). It's something that I'd eventually like to do, so don't stress!

The muzzle flash tutorial was very interesting, even for a non videofx person. I really hesitate to get into modifying weapon stuff though, it's a sure way to make enemies.

No worries mate, i might just throw the muzzle flash idea onto the mod discussions forum to see if there's any interest there, thanks for checking out the video anyways....

Damn, i wish i could code :o:

Would be madness to remove it.Any and all mods that work relating to ai are welcome.Even MORE so when they are lightweight.

Its lightweight(even though it drastically changes engagements) ability is excellent choice for people running lots of performance hungry mods and need to trim the fat but not sacrifice something totally.

This mod was my (1st) other than CBA,and its still essential even if i currently have it disabled.

TPW MODS 20140704: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20140704.zip

Changes:

[FALL 1.31] Massive code overhaul and optimisation. PhysX based ragdolling for player and units closer than 100m to the player. Huge thanks to Das Attorney for this code.

OK this release comprises a pretty significant change to TPW FALL. Firstly I have pretty much completely overhauled the code so it's a lot more optimised and streamlined. More importantly, I have implemented PhysX based ragdolling for bullet hits. In the absence of BIS commands to access ragdolling, the legendary Das Attorney provided some original code enabling an invisible PhysX enabled geometry object (originally provided to me for TPW EBS by MrFlay) to collide with and force ragdolling of footbound units. This enables a much more realistic ragdolling and also works on the player. The only downside is that PhysX only works out to 100m from the player. Beyond this the system falls back on the temporary-unit-replacement-by-killed-dummy approach which is not as seamless. So now TPW FALL enables 3 kinds of reaction to bullets: animated falls for low damage impacts; realistic PhysX ragdolling for high impact hits out to 100m from player; and dummy replacement ragdolling for high impact hits past 100m where the slightly jerky transitions are hopefully not as noticeable.

Just to head off any comments at the pass - forcing ragdolling by object collision is neither new nor novel and has been used in several implementations. Secondly, don't expect or ask for Hollywood style flying ragdolls - hit units simply drop. Other than these, comments and suggestions are welcome!

will this conflict with ragdoll'd mod by zooloo75??

In some ways i would assume so.

Depends what actually conflicts,might even make ragdolling better.

For example i used tpw fall,and a different ragdoll pbo.They deffinetly conflicted,but the results were actually great.

The only problem was a revive mod i used(psychos wounding) would get issues as my squad AI started doing ragdolls after they should have been in revive(incapacitated) state.

Thanks TPW will check it out!

will this conflict with ragdoll'd mod by zooloo75??

If you'd prefer zooloo75's ragdolling then set tpw_fall_ragdoll = 0; in your tpw_mods.hpp

New ragdoll is very smooth (if you can call someone falling from being shot smooth!!:))

Seriously tho i can see a big big difference

I have been using zooloo75's ragdoll recently and think it's still glitchy compared to tpw's updated version.

Great work mate!!

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

=================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

New update v1.89 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@tpw_mods.png

@TPW

Interesting stuff with the new system for FALL. A quick side question on this: does the change affect the MP-friendliness of FALL?

I would say yes they would conflict. One of them would be creating a steel plate, and the other an invisible objects called "firegeometry", and they both would be trying to knock down the same person... lag city

You know what they say great minds think alike. so to see two mod makers using nearly identical code says a lot (All good / nothing bad just to clear that up). Just wish BIS would come out of the woodwork with a setRagdollState command.

If i may make a small suggestion as to just remove the "replacement" ragdoll version and just use the "PhysX" based. That would get rid of the jerkyness (new unit, with AI brain and inventory and whatnot, created and killed and deleted) and only possibly incurring a slight delay in ragdolling (invisible object with no inventory or any thing else to process spawned and knocks unit down).

I can only assume (yes im using this word) that spawning that invisible "firegeometry" is less taxing on the system then spawning a full blown unit/agent.

Edited by Lordprimate

@Shadow_MSOG: I've no idea mate! The only concession to MP is the hide/show unit code used in the replacement ragdolling routines.

@LP: Full credit to Das Attorney for the PhysX code, and for his demonstration of the powers of convergent evolution as far as code. I won't be removing the replacement ragdolling. I know it's probably slightly more CPU demanding and not as visually smooth, but it's the only way to get ragdoll effects past 100m from the player.

I'm sure running 2 independent ragdolling mods (or 2 independent mods providing the same functionality) will cause glitches, lag and conflicts. That's why there's provision to disable TPW FALL's ragdolling or bullet hit reaction full stop, while still having access to the falling over from height routines. What I am not going to implement is automatic disabling of these ragdoll routines if another ragdolling system is detected.

You know what they say great minds think alike. so to see two mod makers using nearly identical code says a lot (All good / nothing bad just to clear that up). Just wish BIS would come out of the woodwork with a setRagdollState command.

I haven't looked at zooloos code but to be fair, the original idea of using Physx objects to knock someone around comes from Killzone Kids website. There's an article here that describes how a chap called Nazar thought of it originally. After that anything else is academic.

Agree that a native command would be better, although if BIS enabled ragdolled soldiers in the game without any user commands then that would be ideal. (Plus a script command so we can throw stuff around at will).

@tpw - good work there mate. I'll be in touch about some other stuff and there's also a couple of errors with the fire_geom model we can clean up:

Unknown hit sound type in FLAY\FLAY_FireGeom\void.bisurf.soundhit  // can sort this easy
Type is not primary for object 164755: FLAY_FireGeom.p3d  // not sure about this one - will need to do some research

@tpw & Das Attorney:

Thanks a lot for the best Fall ever. You really made my day!

In my first tests it looked really smooth and felt very immersive.

I'm going to ask a really stupid question, but I simply cannot get this to work.

The mod is installed, according to ARMA 3 it is activated... but whenever I open the editor, pop a player down on the map and spawn in... I get nothing.

Now, I thought maybe I have to place a module or something to activate it... but I see nothing in the modules list that relates to this mod... so no cigar there.

Can someone please explain to me how this works, and how I can get it activated in the editor so I can check it out?

9/10 your .hpp is misplaced.

Yay!

9/10 your .hpp is misplaced.

Yay!

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\userconfig\TPW_MODS" is where the TPW_MODS.hpp is placed. Should it be elsewhere?

That is correct. How does your .hpp look?

Yay!

I literally haven't touched anything... it's all stock from fresh install. I installed it, activated it inside of ARMA III and I'm not seeing anything different when I boot into the editor/spawn into the island.

How long does it take to say... spawn in the civvies, traffic and all that?

A few seconds. Let me check the dropbox download, maybe something is wrong with the .hpp.

Yay!

EDIT: Nope, seems fine. What version did you download?

I literally haven't touched anything... it's all stock from fresh install. I installed it, activated it inside of ARMA III and I'm not seeing anything different when I boot into the editor/spawn into the island.

How long does it take to say... spawn in the civvies, traffic and all that?

There's something fishy going on because the addon is definitely working.

What happens if you type the following into the debug console:

hint str tpw_civ_version

If you see 1.36 pop up on your screen then at least the mod is active.