tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

Same kind requests here as in the other mods: Can you pls add an option to block Karts content?

Same kind requests here as in the other mods: Can you pls add an option to block Karts content?

No. I have no problem with the DLC, and my mods don't use any of its content - you won't see any civilians buzzing around on a kart.

I know that we have friendly helicopters that can be called to support troops, but is there a chance for a land based response? Also would it be possible to code opfor helicopters to engage in the skirmish?

I know that we have friendly helicopters that can be called to support troops, but is there a chance for a land based response? Also would it be possible to code opfor helicopters to engage in the skirmish?

Sorry Dr K but I don't really have plans for either of those things. Squads already respond to other squads of the same side taking casualties and will move towards them in support. Air/Heli/Arty support basically exists for battlefield ambience, and is pretty much in keeping with the US led NATO ethos of only putting boots on ground when there is overwhelming support. If you want a more symmetrical battlefield, with more vehicle and armour support then DAC is probably the way to go.

I have experimented with both sides being able to call in support and it basically ends up a complete shemozzle, with squad lifetimes measured in seconds.

...you won't see any civilians buzzing around on a kart.

Thx for the clarification.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

=================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Edited by Guest
updated to latest version

tpw, does the skirmish script only require tpw_core.sqf? I placed a unit in the editor and put the below code to its init field, nothing happens. It's vanilla ArmA with @tpw_mods not loaded as a module.

0 = [] execvm "\@tpw_mods\scripts\tpw_core.sqf"; 0 = [5,2,5,2,500,2000,1,0,0,30] execvm "tpw_skirmish.sqf";

EDIT: My bad, absolute path "\@tpw_mods\scripts\" is missing in tpw skirmish call in above code.

Edited by tortuosit

TPW MODS 20140603: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20140603.zip

Changes:

[sKIRMISH 1.02] Unarmed units will not be spawned. Support markers will show on player's HUD if using TPW HUD. AI can call UAV support. Incoming shell noises for artillery support.

I'm aware that having lots of units spawning and despawning and being killed can cause TPW HUD to throw the occasional line 1029 error. I am working to track it down.

I searched thread didn't see anything on this error I am getting, "undefined variable dmm_orbit_active" once I get it, never goes away. Says line 9 in AC130 init.

I searched thread didn't see anything on this error I am getting, "undefined variable dmm_orbit_active" once I get it, never goes away. Says line 9 in AC130 init.

Yep, that's an issue with the AC130 mod which I remember seeing when testing out different aircraft. Looks like spawned AC130s don't take kindly to being forced to fly via bis_fnc_ambientflyby. Since I didn't write that function I'm not going to wear any crap :)

Thanks for your response, I assume if I write the AC130 out of the mission it should go away.

Thanks Again.

Vengeance

Thanks for your response, I assume if I write the AC130 out of the mission it should go away.

Thanks Again.

Vengeance

Absolutely. I haven't seen the error since I stopped using the 130.

Had a thought while playing Rydygier's Pilgrimage mission with your essential TPW MOD, that a cool edition to your mod suite would be ambient smoke stacks rising from the houses and power plants of Altis.

Don't know if it's even feasible, but it would sure add another layer of immersion that's lacking from vanilla A3

Hi RS, you have several options:

1 - Disable skirmish in the .hpp, and run the script version of skirmish from the init of whatever missions you'd like ambient combat

2 - Enable skirmish in the .hpp and insert the command tpw_skirmish_active=false; in the init of mission that you don't want ambient combat

3 - Enable skirmish in the .hpp and use triggers (as detailed in the first post) to disable/enable it on the parts of the map you'd prefer.

This is perfect thanks.

Okay Problem.

This didn't work what did I do wrong? .....

// SKIRMISH

tpw_skirmish_active = 0; // 0 = inactive

tpw_skirmish_enemysquad_max = 5; // Maximum number of enemy squads around player

tpw_skirmish_enemyvehicles_max = 2; // Maximum number of enemy vehicles around player

tpw_skirmish_friendlysquad_max = 5; // Maximum number of friendly squads around player

tpw_skirmish_friendlyvehicles_max = 2; // Maximum number of friendly vehicles around player

tpw_skirmish_minspawnradius = 500; // Minimum distance from player to spawn units/vehicles

tpw_skirmish_maxspawnradius = 2000; // Maximum distance from player to spawn units/vehicles. Units/vehicles deleted beyond this distance

tpw_skirmish_support = 1; // NATO units can call support

tpw_skirmish_friendlytype = 0; // 0 = NATO, 1 = FIA, 2 = AAF

tpw_skirmish_enemytype = 0; // 0 = CAF_AG, 1 = CSAT, 2 = AAF, 3 = CSAT Modification Project (CMP) Arid, 4 = CMP semiarid, 5 = CMP urban

tpw_skirmish_spawntime = 10; // Time between spawning each enemy/friendly squad/vehicle

//><

The Skirmish feature is something I've been waiting for but unfortunately its breaking the current mission I'm working on.

My NATO troops are doing a stealth mission deep in the jungle looking for a CAF Aggressors hidden camp/sanctuary, it doesn't make sense to have an on going battle. Also the spawned NATO units call in airstrikes dangerously close to my Team and engage the enemy objectives completing the tasks. I like ambient combat for the right mission (this isn't it) but I don't want the spawned troops tipping the balance of the mission in any significant way.

I have also tried tpw_skirmish_active=false; in the init of a trigger with no effect.

I really would like to turn this feature off by default and turn it on when desired.

Edited by Dr@gon
update

This is perfect thanks.

Okay Problem.

This didn't work what did I do wrong? .....

// SKIRMISH

tpw_skirmish_active = 0; // 0 = inactive

tpw_skirmish_enemysquad_max = 5; // Maximum number of enemy squads around player

tpw_skirmish_enemyvehicles_max = 2; // Maximum number of enemy vehicles around player

tpw_skirmish_friendlysquad_max = 5; // Maximum number of friendly squads around player

tpw_skirmish_friendlyvehicles_max = 2; // Maximum number of friendly vehicles around player

tpw_skirmish_minspawnradius = 500; // Minimum distance from player to spawn units/vehicles

tpw_skirmish_maxspawnradius = 2000; // Maximum distance from player to spawn units/vehicles. Units/vehicles deleted beyond this distance

tpw_skirmish_enemytype = 0; // 0 = CAF_AG, 1 = CSAT, 2 = AAF, 3 = CSAT Modification Project (CMP) Arid, 4 = CMP semiarid, 5 = CMP urban

tpw_skirmish_spawntime = 10; // Time between spawning each enemy/friendly squad/vehicle

//><

The Skirmish feature is something I've been waiting for but unfortunately its breaking the current mission I'm working on.

My NATO troops are doing a stealth mission deep in the jungle looking for a CAF Aggressors hidden camp/sanctuary, it doesn't make sense to have an on going battle. Also the spawned NATO units call in airstrikes dangerously close to my Team and engage the enemy objectives completing the tasks. I like ambient combat for the right mission (this isn't it) but I don't want the spawned troops tipping the balance of the mission in any significant way.

I have also tried tpw_skirmish_active=false; in the init of a trigger with no effect.

I really would like to turn this feature off by default and turn it on when desired.

If you want it off by default then once you set tpw_skirmish_active = 0; in the hpp you need to restart Arma3 for it to take effect. This config variable definitely works! After that it's up to you to execute the script from your mission directory or wherever you want to run it from.

If you want it on by default but swtched off for missions, then tpw_skirmish_active = false also definitely works. You can enter it at any time and the script will stop scanning for/adding/removing squads. Existing squads won't be removed. So a trigger will work thusly:

Type: None

Activation: BLUFOR, repeatedly,present

Condition: vehicle player in thislist && time > 10;

On act. : tpw_skirmish_active = false;

On dea. : tpw_skirmish_active = true;

"If you want it off by default then once you set tpw_skirmish_active = 0; in the hpp you need to restart Arma3 for it to take effect.

Thank you for your reply, restarting Arma3 was the part I was missing, I though t you could simply restart the mission.

I love the mod ever since your earliest releases, I wouldn't play Arma3 without it.

Cheers.

Is there any way I could replace the called function with no action at all and still have the rest of the routine function normally so that low damage hits don't result in anything?

if (_damage < 0.1) then

{

[_unit] spawn tpw_fall_fnc_falldown; // no ragdoll for low damage hits

}

Is there any way I could replace the called function with no action at all and still have the rest of the routine function normally so that low damage hits don't result in anything?

if (_damage < 0.1) then

{

[_unit] spawn tpw_fall_fnc_falldown; // no ragdoll for low damage hits

}

If you are asking if

if (_damage < 0.1) then
{
// do nothing!
}

would work then I can't see why not.

First:thanks so much for this amazing mod TPW!Using it since the very begining,and I can't imagine playing without it.

BUT.....when I play with the skirmish script,each time an AI ennemy is killed ( by me or one of my men) ,the game freeze for 1 or 2 second,it's very frustrating.What can I do to fix it,or do you have any idea?Only the skirmish script is disfunctionnal,the rest of this awesome mod work perfectly for me...thanks again TPW!:cheers:

Edited by pathaber

I must admit that I have noticed some intermittent slowdowns using skirmish, but I think it is due to the game engine not able to cope with spawning AI !

Thanks for the heads up guys. I personally haven't noticed any major stuttering beyond what I expect when having multiple AI taking shots at each other, or I wouldn't have released it. Skirmish has several things going on which might be contributing

1 - Every 10 sec (by default) the script monitors how many squads there are, deletes distant squads, and spawns new ones as required. Each squad is then given a simple patrol routine using cba_fnc_taskpatrol

2 - If support is enabled then every 30 sec each squad leader, if in danger mode, will scan for targets

3 - If an squad member is killed an eventhandler causes all other squads of the same side to have their waypoints removed and a new set generated around the killed unit using cba_fnc_taskpatrol.

If you disable support, do you still observe the behaviour?

Because you observe the stuttering when a unit is killed, cba_fnc_taskpatrol might be chewing CPU looking for suitable waypoints. If you play on a heavy jungle map like nziwasago these waypoints can be harder to find. Do you notice the stuttering to be worse on this map? I will put a random delay into the killed eventhandler so that all squads are not trying to get new waypoints simultaneously.

EDIT: I just had a quick play on Nziwasago before work and when I removed the killed eventhandler the stuttering was significantly reduced. It definitely seems to be cba_fnc_taskpatrol related.

Edited by tpw

Thank for your reply TPW and for your tip Kremator.

I've edited the hpp for the skirmish script with notepad++ ( look below), leave only CMP mod enabled (no vehicles around player,no friendly squad,etc...) and turn off all other tpw scripts (except skirmish,:)), only my eight dudes squad and the skirmish in the mission editor, i've play with this settings on different maps (n'ziwasogo,altis,stratis,tchenarus,takistan,zargabad (in town,forest big or small )),and i've still get the same issue (i also try different graphics settings,just to see,but nothing here).Well...if it's can help.

I hope you can fix it (skirmish is really cool,I like the unexpected situations when I play one of my missions!), but again: many thanks for this incredible mod (maybe one day you will find how to add smell in Arma 3,ah ah!!!).Cheers :cheers: (and sorry for my bad english).""Longue vie à toi TPW!!!""

// SKIRMISH

tpw_skirmish_active = 1; // 0 = inactive

tpw_skirmish_enemyvehicles_max = 0; // Maximum number of enemy vehicles around player

tpw_skirmish_friendlysquad_max = 0; // Maximum number of friendly squads around player

tpw_skirmish_friendlyvehicles_max = 0; // Maximum number of friendly vehicles around player

tpw_skirmish_minspawnradius = 300; // Minimum distance from player to spawn units/vehicles

tpw_skirmish_maxspawnradius = 1000; // Maximum distance from player to spawn units/vehicles. Units/vehicles deleted beyond this distance

tpw_skirmish_enemytype = 5; // 0 = CAF_AG, 1 = CSAT, 2 = AAF, 3 = CSAT Modification Project (CMP) Arid, 4 = CMP semiarid, 5 = CMP urban

Edited by pathaber

If you are asking if

if (_damage < 0.1) then

{

// do nothing!

}

would work then I can't see why not.

Really? Well that's simpler than I thought, I'm no programmer so I figured it might mess something up just leaving empty space. I appreciate the help though.

In case anyone wants it, I have customized my own version of it to do the following:

- Not knock players over if the caliber of the bullet is relatively light (this applies to 9mm, but also 5.56mm)

- Knocks players down (yet still capable of fighting) if they're hit with something like a .45 caliber round or something more like a 7.62x39

- Knocks players down and temporarily incapacitated if hit with a heavier caliber weapon such as a 7.62x51, a heavy caliber revolver, and so forth

Adjust however you like, I actually really like this particular set up myself, and results may vary depending on who you're fighting.

This is located in tpw_fall.sqf

if (stance _unit != "PRONE") then 
			{
			if (alive _unit) then 
				{
				// Weapon type
				[_unit] call tpw_core_fnc_weptype;

//Play appropriate animations 
				if (_unit == player && _damage > 0.50) then  // player must take a decent hit to get knocked down
					{
					[] spawn tpw_fall_fnc_playerfall; // no ragdoll for player
					}
					else
					{
					if (_damage < 0.25) then 
					{
					   // if less than 0.25 damage, it hurts but does not knock you down
					}
					else
					{
					[_unit] spawn tpw_fall_fnc_falldown;  // if they're hit by something more than 0.25 damage, they'll be knocked off balance
					}
					else
					{
					if (_damage > 0.40) then
					{
					[_unit] spawn tpw_fall_fnc_ragdoll;  // the ai has been hit with something heavy, but not heavy enough to kill outright
					}
				};
			};
	      };

Edited by Pd3

Thank for your reply TPW and for your tip Kremator.

I've edited the hpp for the skirmish script with notepad++ ( look below), leave only CMP mod enabled (no vehicles around player,no friendly squad,etc...) and turn off all other tpw scripts (except skirmish,:)), only my eight dudes squad and the skirmish in the mission editor, i've play with this settings on different maps (n'ziwasogo,altis,stratis,tchenarus,takistan,zargabad (in town,forest big or small )),and i've still get the same issue (i also try different graphics settings,just to see,but nothing here).Well...if it's can help.

I hope you can fix it (skirmish is really cool,I like the unexpected situations when I play one of my missions!), but again: many thanks for this incredible mod (maybe one day you will find how to add smell in Arma 3,ah ah!!!).Cheers :cheers: (and sorry for my bad english).""Longue vie à toi TPW!!!""

Merci pathaber. I'm sorry you are experiencing these problems. As I recently posted the problem appears to be with multiple squads all trying to reset their cba_fnc_taskpatrol waypoints when someone is killed. I might make this behaviour configurable so that people such as yourself can have stutter-free skirmish (albeit with slightly reduced functionality).

---------- Post added at 11:27 ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 ----------

Really? Well that's simpler than I thought, I'm no programmer so I figured it might mess something up just leaving empty space. I appreciate the help though.

In case anyone wants it, I have customized my own version of it to do the following:

- Not knock players over if the caliber of the bullet is relatively light (this applies to 9mm, but also 5.56mm)

- Knocks players down (yet still capable of fighting) if they're hit with something like a .45 caliber round or something more like a 7.62x39

- Knocks players down and temporarily incapacitated if hit with a heavier caliber weapon such as a 7.62x51, a heavy caliber revolver, and so forth

This is awesome, I'm glad to see people jumping head first into my code and producing something which better suits their needs (whilst saving me the trouble :) ).

Thank you very much TPW.That will be great!! Keep up your excellent work.I think i can say that you are one of those man who make this game better and better,week after week.Two times cheers TPW!!!:cheers: