tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

So I did a mission with flashlights and your HUD in the forests of Chernarus. It was dark and I didn't have any NODs, so I tried out your HUD's in built thing and it was surreal. Like I was watching found footage of a snuff movie (and I mean that in the best possible way). I do have one problem with it, though:

When you use Ctrl+Alt+N you also turn on the NV goggles, so I wonder if there was maybe a way to change the keybinding. Maybe something like Ctrl+Alt+H for the cat's eyes and Ctrl+H for HUD opacity.

Hmm, that's weird. On my system Ctrl+Alt+N activates only the HUD NV, not the default NV goggles - that's why I chose it. Ctrl+N activates goggles, Ctrl_Alt+N doesn't. Can anyone else confirm or deny?

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

Hi mate, try wrapping it in a:

if (not isNull _unit and {not isNull _squadmem}) then {// your code};

Just a guess so untested!

:)

Thanks my son. I already beat you to it wrapping things in !isnull checks and nothing has exploded yet!

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Understood, and thanks for looking into this at all! What about the full-color NV in 3rd person, is it something you might consider?

A few posts back I explained my reasoning for no HUD stuff in 3rd person. I might consider it if there's a chorus of anguish.

Oh, I get the HUD display and I'm not asking for that in 3rd p. I think the NV is something distinct, though. I realize you have tied it to the HUD functionality and it might be difficult to separate it from that, but perhaps you'll reconsider.

edit: wait, so if I remove this line 'cameraview != "external"' Ill get 3rd p functionality?

Oh, I get the HUD display and I'm not asking for that in 3rd p. I think the NV is something distinct, though. I realize you have tied it to the HUD functionality and it might be difficult to separate it from that, but perhaps you'll reconsider.

Mate, it's actually easier for me to leave HUD NV in 3rd person :)

Let's see what others say and I'll go with the consensus.

I explained my reasoning for no HUD stuff in 3rd person. I might consider it if there's a chorus of anguish.

I remove it anyway from the HUD mod, as I like to have it in 3rd person. @GvsE - yes, that is what I remove.

Should be optional, via userconfig, if 3rd p can or cannot have HUD elements shown... and Ctrl+Alt+N ativates NV instead of HUD NV (cat vision) for me too =/

OK OK! Next release will have configurable HUD in 3rd person. And configurable whether it automatically adds TAC goggles to a unit that doesn't have them. And no more #$%^ing complaints about it then!

That gives me the shits that Ctrl-Alt-N is activating NV goggles on other people's systems, I thought I was being so clever. I'll keep looking into it.

EDIT: I give up, Ctrl-H for HUD brightness, Ctrl+Alt+H for HUD NV as per 13islucky's idea.

Edited by tpw

^^ hehe thanks for being so understanding .... that will teach you for being so inventive with this amazing HUD !

OK well that means it is not scanning for houses, which means that tpw_core.sqf isn't running. Are you sure that you have tpw_core.sqf running as well as whatever other scripts you want?

Don't know how but got it working now by just creating an entirely new mission and copying all the scripts and inits :)

Edited by Daantjeeuh

OK OK! Next release will have configurable HUD in 3rd person. And configurable whether it automatically adds TAC goggles to a unit that doesn't have them. And no more #$%^ing complaints about it then!

That gives me the shits that Ctrl-Alt-N is activating NV goggles on other people's systems, I thought I was being so clever. I'll keep looking into it.

EDIT: I give up, Ctrl-H for HUD brightness, Ctrl+Alt+H for HUD NV as per 13islucky's idea.

I guess new parameters incoming. I'll wait before pushing [1.3.0] then.

Yay!

^^ gotta love new params (unless you are Gliptal ! - we do love you for it however!)

Am I the only person aside from tpw who LIKED the hud only showing 1st person?

Am I the only person aside from tpw who LIKED the hud only showing 1st person?

I quite like it too; displaying it in third person would reduce the immersion for me, however one can't go wrong with additional parameters for those who enjoy it.

My only complaint is that the icons and range markers clutter the screen too much. I'd prefer a HUD which displays NATO military symbols for each known group between around 500m and 2500m with a single range marker (increments of 100m); and for infantry and vehicles closer than 500m - diamonds (or small dots above?) without range and NATO symbols with range, respectively. Regardless of preferences, this is moving extended situational awareness away from the map, which is great. Thank you!

TPW, Is there any way to have your squad icons change color depending on weather or not you have assigned them a team color? I was playing a missions and i always split up my squad in to two fireteams.. with Shacktack hud running i can see the group colors on their "markers" but i dont always run Sthud. I was just wondering at that moment, that i should ask TPW if it would be a pain to add something like that..

And i deffinatly agree with misslemoose things can get cluttered. I deffinatly like the idea of two layers of scanning "extended" and "immediate" extended would be past your highest "immediate" scanning range. so 500+ as it were. and as misslemoose suggested a single marker for the scanned teams leader with minimal info ie. rounded distance to nearest 50-100m. then "immediate" scans could reveal team's subordinates and their POS. but no distance, just a small icon to denote where they were least scanned by the goggles..

I like where this is going TPW/Gliptal keep it up!!

While I appreciate that some of you have a differing opinion of what you want the HUD to be, I'll spell out what my vision of it was. The HUD is not meant to be a replacement for detailed tactical map information, but rather an adjunct to it to provide increased situational awareness in the immediate few hundred metres of the player:

1 - Are there any people nearby?

2 - Are they on foot or in vehicles?

3 - Are they a threat?

4 - How far away are they?

5 - Does anyone have line of sight on them?

6 - What are the particulars of the player's nearby environment?

For detailed tactical assessment with NATO icons etc, the player would consult their map.

This is all predicated on near future sensors and image tech (most available already ) being able to quickly scan and identify humans out to a few hundred meters. I'm struggling to think how a system would visually identify a group leader and only give his range, or visually identify distant or over the horizon targets.

I have in fact provided you with most of the tools to make the HUD as uncluttered as you want. Want non scalable smaller icons? Make them smaller. Want no text? Make it size 0. Don't want any HUD info closer than 100m? Configure it so. Want units identified out to 2500m? etc etc etc.

i most certainly was not trying to step on any toes here. and i completely understand.

TPW MODS 20140430: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20140430.zip

Changes:

[HUD 1.21] Fixed a few undeclared variable bugs. Optional HUD in 3rd person. Optional automatic assignment of TAC glasses to player's uniform. Ctrl-H for HUD brightness. Ctrl-Alt-H for HUD NV.

This release fixes a few errors related to units despawning before the HUD could display them. I've also added the ability to view the HUD and NV in 3rd person (though it's off by default). I've reassigned the keys for adjusting brightness and invoking full colour NV so as not to interfere with NV goggles. Lastly, by default HUD will assign tac specs if the player is not already wearing or carrying them. This can be switched off if desired.

Sorry Gliptal, this update added 2 new variables:

tpw_hud_thirdperson = 0; // No HUD in 3rd person. 1 = HUD in 3rd person
tpw_hud_addtac = 1; // Automatically add tactical glasses to the player's inventory if they are not already carrying/wearing them. 0 = don't add glasses

No progress yet with IR lasers in NV.

Edited by tpw

No problem tpw, my code makes it quite easy to add new variables. I'm more concerned with the space in the HUD mod window, but that will be addressed as soon as I get the new HUD layout going.

Will push updated version ASAP.

Yay!

Thanks a ton for the update! :)

One little thing I noticed is that you cannot activate full color nv once you are in third person view: you have to switch to 1st, activate the NV, and then switch back to third. Then it works, but only then.

I am really curious (and hopeful) if you can work out the laser beam as that would be great.

One way or another, thank you once again for responding so quickly to these requests. Fantastic job, especially the fact that you give the player the options to customize their experience. Top notch!

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

=================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Sorry I'm late, Uni stuff.

Make sure you update your presets if you have any, just paste the new parameters in the right place, between

tpw_hud_degradation = ?;

and

tpw_hud_asl_txt =?;

TPW SETTINGS

[1.3.0] | UPDATE YOUR PRESETS

- parameters matching HUD [1.21]

- added version number

- added online README link

- tweaked presets section appearence

- corrected a rare saving bug

Important changes made to README:

Next Steps: