tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

EDIT 2: Actually it seems that recent releases have changed rvmat/bisurf handling quite significantly, hence the grenade launcher deflection, dust clouds etc etc. I might be fighting a losing battle with this #$%^ing mod.

That would explain a lot. I've noticed, like others, that my M203/GP30 does some weird things when shooting at a known distance continuously. I've noticed the dirt hits in the air, as well.

I'd hate to lose EBS, but understand if it "can't be done" now.

I might be fighting a losing battle with this #$%^ing mod.

Maybe just take this as the motivation to invent another ingenius approach to suppression avoiding the shortcomings of ebs? ;-)

While the general approach on which ebs was based is really smart and elegant, it seems to reach its limits now.

I knew it...

OK, next update.

Heh. I was going to request the same thing. I read the changelog and I was like, "WHAT?! NO!!!" MOUT in Whole Lotta Altis is so much more terrifying when I'm hunting down the last two OPFOR units in a town with civilians running all over the place, since the AI is so much better at discerning hostile targets than the player is (but on the other hand, the AI is also far more limited in reaction and aiming speed, so it balances out nicely). I find myself hesitating on the trigger over and over, and nearly [vulgar-past-tense-of-defecated] myself when one of my own AI teammates ran past the hole in a fence I was slowly sweeping around, and his gun more or less literally ended up in my face. (I still didn't fire, though! Just say no to fratricide, yo.) If all of the civilians could find better hiding spots (i.e., despawn or not spawn in the first place) it just wouldn't have that same feel. Nor would it have given me the same massive pangs of regret when I found out that the grenade I lobbed over a fence after hearing Iranian voices on the other side had resulted in a very mangled civilian body on the other side -- missed the soldiers, hit the civilian. I felt awful.

P.S., just to proselytise a bit, TPW MODS definitely makes ARMA 3 for me. It is, literally, the best series of immersion mods out there at this time.

Hi guys. I'm currently writing an extremely simple SP only TPWCAS-like suppression system, which I will slot in to replace the defective shell-based one.

TPW MODS v20131006: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20131006.zip

Changes:

[FOG 1.05] Heat haze only when prone.

[CARS 1.18] No spawning during combat now user selectable

[CIVS 1.18] No spawning during combat now user selectable

[FALL 1.23] Noises for turning prone

[EBS 1.14] Suppression now bullet-centric, not shell based.

Please update your tpw_mods.hpp to allow for the new variables for civilian and cars

tpw_car_nocombatspawn = 1; // cars will not be spawned during combat. 0 = cars continue to spawn during combat

tpw_civ_nocombatspawn = 1; // civs will not be spawned during combat. 0 = civs continue to spawn during combat

OK guys this is a real big one, and I'm not frontpaging it until a few of you have tested it out for me. As per the new EBS readme:

My original attempt at TPW EBS tried to overcome the lack of suppression by implementing a pseudo suppression eventhandler: an invisible massless 2-5 m radius "shell" object around each footbound unit which reacted to bullet hits whilst allowing those bullets to pass unhindered through it. Bullets passing through this shell were then used to determine the suppression status of the attached unit. While very nice in principle this concept eventually became unworkable - the shell was not passing through explosives, interacted with helicopter rotors, and due to A3 engine changes eventually started interacting with bullets again.

Eventually I bowed to the inevitable and retired the shell concept in favour of an extremely light and simple SP only implementation of the bullet-centric approach to suppression, as pioneered by yours truly, Fabrizio_T and Ollem in TPWCAS. Using this approach, rather than a unit detecting bullets, every live bullet checks whether there are any units around it. The end result it largely the same and the new EBS functions identically (well, better actually) to the old one.

The acronym remains the same: EBS, but due to my change of direction it now stands for "extreme-backpedal" rather than "engine-based".

There's a raft of other TPW MODS changes in there too.

Feedback very welcome.

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:56 ----------

So does that mean you'll be using the bDetect framework again?

No I wrote my own super simple implementation, which shares essentially zero code. It's SP only and nowhere near as fully featured. But it allows TPW EBS to function identically to the old shell based version, without the need for workarounds for explosives, rotors etc etc ad nauseum.

I see you're using nearEntities ["Man"] type kind of thing. I suggest you use CaManBase instead, because I find out when using bDetect, "Man" class will trigger for ambient animals also (rabbits, birds, etc). So that might cause performance problem or unwanted behavior. Just a thought

The acronym remains the same: EBS, but due to my change of direction it now stands for "extreme-backpedal" rather than "engine-based".

hehe

Best of luck.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

=================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks again TPW - look forward to testing the new one tonight.

It's getting tempting to ask BIS to stop making changes as it messes up you're most excellent mods;-)

cheers

In game said can't fiind configure...

though I put them in here

Arma 3\userconfig\TPW_MODS

No config existing :(

Edited by kgino1045

TPW I had a weird bug: I made a video but it takes now too long to upload it and I have to go back to college.

I use your mod (last version) and WWAICover.

At the end of a firefight, i was looking for the last opfor. I found him, standing and looking away from me.

I draw my pistol and vent near him, I shoot near his feet and no reaction. Hoot all around him a pistol clip, but no reaction. I went right in front of him, no reaction.

I shoot him in torso and he fell down, while he was standing up he shoot once missing me, I shoot him again and he was falling down dead, but while his body was on the groundm his mg begun to shoot in full auto, killing me (and the source of his bullets were coming from where he was standing, not the actual gun on the ground).

Hope I am clear.

I will report the same bug to WW.

http://s21.postimg.org/e3x5purdz/arma_3_bug.jpg (142 kB)

Edited by lucadena

In game said can't fiind configure...

though I put them in here

Arma 3\userconfig\TPW_MODS

No config existing :(

I have the same problem. Something about not being able to find civs config.

I have the same problem. Something about not being able to find civs config.

Did you update the tpw_mods.hpp?

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------

I see you're using nearEntities ["Man"] type kind of thing. I suggest you use CaManBase instead, because I find out when using bDetect, "Man" class will trigger for ambient animals also (rabbits, birds, etc). So that might cause performance problem or unwanted behavior. Just a thought

Thank you very much for that tip, I will implement it ASAP.

It should be contain only 4 files in addons folder

and one txt for Config in Arma 3\userconfig\TPW_MODS

right?

As I tested. it seems like it's soon be okey after make a game 20min

But i assume that this is not normal working.

yea the error message reads TPW CIVS incorrect/no config exiting

all the other mods launch though ...

I had a flock of sheep spawn in front of me ... isnt there suppose to be a check to prevent that...

TPW I had a weird bug: I made a video but it takes now too long to upload it and I have to go back to college.

I use your mod (last version) and WWAICover.

At the end of a firefight, i was looking for the last opfor. I found him, standing and looking away from me.

I draw my pistol and vent near him, I shoot near his feet and no reaction. Hoot all around him a pistol clip, but no reaction. I went right in front of him, no reaction.

I shoot him in torso and he fell down, while he was standing up he shoot once missing me, I shoot him again and he was falling down dead, but while his body was on the groundm his mg begun to shoot in full auto, killing me (and the source of his bullets were coming from where he was standing, not the actual gun on the ground).

Hope I am clear.

I will report the same bug to WW.

http://s21.postimg.org/e3x5purdz/arma_3_bug.jpg (142 kB)

Hmm, might conceivably be a TPW_FALL issue, although I have never seen anything like that. When you shoot a unit it is briefly hidden and replaced with a ragdoll. The hidden unit shouldn't be able to shoot you though. Just to make sure I have disabled the simulation on the unit which will prevent it doing anything during the ragdoll phase. Will update shortly

yeah, i did replace the old config with the new one in userconfig. I do not get the error message when i disable civilians within the config. the other tpw systems work fine.

btw, with the previous version i got spammed with error messages about undefined parameters related to houses where civilians spawn.

i noticed another problem which is possibly related to your mod (the newly introduced haze system?): I have a mission set in thick fog just as the sun rises over the horizon. when i first spawn everything is ok, but when i get killed and respawn i see corruption of darker textures: they get really dark and stand out from the other elements. sometimes it's my avatar and sometimes the enemy. ill upload a pic later today. i did restart the game without your mod and the problem disappeared.

Hope you can figure something out. perhaps consider giving us the option to disable the haze via the config?

oh, im on the dev branch.

oh, and thank you so much for continuing support of this mod and for bearing with our requests and occasional whining ;)

Edited by GvsE

To everyone having civ config issues, please try redownloading: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20131006.zip

I think I might have had a config error, which I have sorted out.

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

yeah, i did replace the old config with the new one in userconfig. I do not get the error message when i disable civilians within the config. the other tpw systems work fine.

btw, with the previous version i got spammed with error messages about undefined parameters related to houses where civilians spawn.

i noticed another problem which is possibly related to your mod (the newly introduced haze system?): I have a mission set in thick fog just as the sun rises over the horizon. when i first spawn everything is ok, but when i get killed and respawn i see corruption of darker textures: they get really dark and stand out from the other elements. sometimes it's my avatar and sometimes the enemy. ill upload a pic later today. i did restart the game without your mod and the problem disappeared.

Hope you can figure something out. perhaps consider giving us the option to disable the haze via the config?

oh, im on the dev branch.

oh, and thank you so much for continuing support of this mod and for bearing with our requests and occasional whining ;)

I think the error was a residual bit of debugging code in the wrong place for TPW_EBS. It's fixed now.

Great work as always, can't wait to get back to my ArmA rig. :D

Yay!

Great mod. Altis wich ghost towns is so sad. These stuffs put the game at a higher level of immersion.

TPW MODS v20131006: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20131006.zip

Ok this is my final version for today and is now frontpaged. I optimised the EBS script a little more, it seems to cause very little FPS hit in an 8 x 8 situation.

Thanks to you all for your patience, suggestions and encouragement.

I am very close to an ambient parked car solution, will probably release it tomorrow.

Thanks TPW for your update on new EBS.

I hope you did not take my previous comment as a harsh reproach. ;)

This mod has became essential to my ingame strategies in SP.