tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

The music does add a very nice touch. Great idea. I went into a chapel and wondered if you can find some Greek hymns. There are a lot of chapels in Altis like Chernarus. something like this:

Wow that music was beautiful, I left it playing for an hour. I'll see what I can do about adding something similar.

Excited to see music implemented -can't wait to check it out!

Not sure about the whole enemy combatant idea though knowing your awesome work you always give us an off switch :)

I was messing around with civilians spawning with weapons randomly and if you get to close (after the civ count warning), they might just pull a glock on you. Haven't finished it yet but it's gonna be fun!

I'd be happy to incorporate the code if you are happy to share.

Here I am again bugging tpw.

I had some sort of an idea to "easily" hard code some exclusion zones in your TPW_CIVS and/or TPW_CARS mods, obviously while not listening to my lectures. It requires a couple of things though:

- The player itself can be an exclusion object

- An exclusion object can dinamically change it's state to on/off

- Both maps have a consistent grid coordinates system

The idea is to find the rough center of an area we want to exclude, and check if the player is inside a circle of a given radius centered in that rough center itself. If he is in, the player becomes an active exclusion object, thus negating CIVS and CARS spawning in an appropriate radius around him in the to-be excluded area.

This way adding exclusion zones would be as "simple" as finding the center coordinate of bases/arfields/FOBs, calculating a rough radius, and adding it to the if clause (or similar) that controls the player exclusion object behaviour.

I think this way you could also add a higher if clause to control if this behaviour is active or not (so if someone wants to use TPW_CIVS/CARS without exclusion zones can do so by modifing the relevant flag in the userconfig file.

I have no idea what language ArmA III can be modded in, but in a rough Java it could look like this:

Thanks for taking the time to think about this mate, it's really appreciated. I'm continuing to think about how to improve exclusion, and your ideas can go into my pile!

Hi TPW, I'm a big fan of your mods.

I really do enjoy your mods, even if they slightly encoumber my cpu, but I really cannot live without them :)

I would like to ask you a question, as you look like making realism mods.

In a firefight, the first priority of troops are taking some cover before engaging opfor.

I haven't seen any feature of this kind, even if your suppression mod (along with windwalker's mod) has a good cover routine.

Don't you think that troops, when enemy is in sight at a distance that is not definied "cqb" (maybe>25mt) should give priority to get cover and then start shooting?

Same thing, but even more important, should be infantry taking cover from vehicles and pop up just to shoot them with AT weapons, and if not available, just disengage and hide from it.

Thanks for your time and your enjoyable mods.

Thank you. It's impossible to do this kind of stuff without involving the CPU in some way. I try to optimise them but at the end of the day there are going to be lots of TPW process threads!

WW AICOVER is perhaps closest to what you want re cover. I refuse to play without it. With that mod, units will take cover if they hear enemy fire. I'm not planning on any further AI behaviour modifications at this stage, I'll leave that to real programmers!

Read the documentation that comes with the download.

Amen. I don't expect everyone to read every post on this thread, but at least read the readmes on the first page and in the download before coming on here complaining. I don't type long and comprehensive documentation just because my fingers like the exercise.

---------- Post added at 09:01 ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 ----------

TPW MODS v20130924: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20130924.zip

Changes:

[ANIMALS 1.14] Ambient dog barking noises.

[CARS 1.16] Civilian cars are spawned with random fuel levels (<50% full). Civilian cars will use horns if near people or animals.

Please note that the latest dev releases have broken or removed the animation functionality I need to make civilians gesticulate. I will implement a replacement if I can.

Edited by tpw

If I just want the TPW LOS and TPW EBS to run on all OpFor units..... What is the best way to accomplish this simply. Do I have to put a code into each unit's Init / activation (within editor). ??

LOS and EBS run for all units within a defined radius of the player. There's no way to make them only run for OPFOR or BLUFOR etc.

Thank you. It's impossible to do this kind of stuff without involving the CPU in some way. I try to optimise them but at the end of the day there are going to be lots of TPW process threads!

WW AICOVER is perhaps closest to what you want re cover. I refuse to play without it. With that mod, units will take cover if they hear enemy fire. I'm not planning on any further AI behaviour modifications at this stage, I'll leave that to real programmers!

I was wondering why you don't put the AICover (the guy mentions you in the credits and says you're a nice fellow) and the JRSS sounds inside your bundle (asking for permission of course) and start a project that involves realism all together by fusing all the good mods out there into a single easy to install bundle. Makes more sense to me... I am going to try this aicover which you mentioned because I think lucadena is right and if you need an idea for a new mod, ANYTHING that allows the player to point out a threat to his AI platoon (whatever role/rank he's in) to put them on alert would be really nice but I understand the CPU load concern you expressed. :)

Nice addition with music from houses, and I see you added sounds from dogs.

I agree sounds from churches would be nice too. Maybe you can come up with even more sounds from more of the animals, or maybe sounds of seagulls at the coast.

I was wondering if you can add a max number of aircraft at a time in the userconfig, please?

The animals should scatter and they should stay away from roads and populated areas.

AI drivers have problems with them and seeing sheep in the middle of a runaway at an airport is rather lame. :)

The animals should scatter and they should stay away from roads and populated areas.

AI drivers have problems with them and seeing sheep in the middle of a runaway at an airport is rather lame. :)

What's lame is people not taking the 5 minutes to read about a mod's configuration options before dissing it.

TPW thank you very much for this wonderful addon pack. I will use it constantly from now on.

Two comments or suggestions:

1. Several times I saw animals spawn in front of me. I would suggest, if it's possible to check the player's FOV and not spawn the animals within it. I suppose there's the same issue with civilians, but I didn't encounter that yet.

2. The civilians should flee far far away when there's combat going on around them. Right now it seems odd they keep on driving and walking like there isn't a war going on around them.

TPW thank you very much for this wonderful addon pack. I will use it constantly from now on.

Two comments or suggestions:

1. Several times I saw animals spawn in front of me. I would suggest, if it's possible to check the player's FOV and not spawn the animals within it. I suppose there's the same issue with civilians, but I didn't encounter that yet.

2. The civilians should flee far far away when there's combat going on around them. Right now it seems odd they keep on driving and walking like there isn't a war going on around them.

And thank you for not calling it lame...

1 - I'm aware that animals will pop into view occasionally. They won't spawn any closer than 75m though, so it's not like a goat is going to magically appear 3m in front of you. In the context of all the texture popin and LOD switching, I figured a few animals popping in would not be a deal breaker. You don't see civs pop in because they only spawn in houses. Ambient animals pop in all the time in A2, so at least I'm not doing worse than BIS...

2 - Use WW AICOVER. Civs will react to gunfire and combat in general by running and hiding, which will give you most of the effect you are after. I worked with Windwalking to ensure that our 2 mods play nicely. I'll see what I can do about disabling civ spawning when things heat up.

Thanks for this great modpack, can't play without it anymore!

I think i found a bug. Destroyed civ cars are still honking!

Thanks for this great modpack, can't play without it anymore!

I think i found a bug. Destroyed civ cars are still honking!

Good call! Will fix that ASAP

EDIT: Done! Will release tomorrow.

Edited by tpw

1 - I'm aware that animals will pop into view occasionally. They won't spawn any closer than 75m though, so it's not like a goat is going to magically appear 3m in front of you. In the context of all the texture popin and LOD switching, I figured a few animals popping in would not be a deal breaker. You don't see civs pop in because they only spawn in houses. Ambient animals pop in all the time in A2, so at least I'm not doing worse than BIS...

I see. Yeah, the ones I saw spawning were far away.

2 - Use WW AICOVER. Civs will react to gunfire and combat in general by running and hiding, which will give you most of the effect you are after. I worked with Windwalking to ensure that our 2 mods play nicely. I'll see what I can do about disabling civ spawning when things heat up.

Thanks for the explanation. WW AICOVER sounds great, I'll definitely install it. What about civilians driving vehicles?

Thanks you so much for the suppression effects, now we can finally use infantry tactics of suppression and flanking in this infantry simulator! :yay:

What's lame is people not taking the 5 minutes to read about a mod's configuration options before dissing it.

How am I supposed to meddle with the config if I could barely make it work being the n00b I am?

I just figured that you had had no time to test it (as you explained in your post) and naturally assumed it was a good idea to tell you that those animals block AI-driven vehicles when they are on the roads and they also appeared on the runaway at Kamino.

If there's a way to do it, best thing would be to keep them away from populated areas and roads and to run off when they hear shooting.

Meanwhile, with tpw (latest), cba, jrss and aicover, I arrived to the combined arms showcase. With these mods, even at LOW video level the game is so sluggish it can't be played (very hard to aim which, at elite setting means suicide). I loaded the vanilla arma3 and did the same mission. Very high detail and 60fps. D'oh...

I just don't know I am only trying to help... Sorry if I sounded rude, not my intention, really.

I think something is wrong if your config, because even though those Mods do impair FPS slghtly, the perfomance hit is not that harsh.

Yay!

Several times while spotting from up high in hills, I get buzzed by civilians driving their vehicles around up in the heights :)

I don't know if they spawned up there or drove up there from roads, deciding that their next waypoint is quicker reached overland (i.e. not via roads).

I don't mind it too much (aside from making me nervous especially when I know DAC patrols are around ;)) but is there a way to reduce this behavior?

I think something is wrong if your config, because even though those Mods do impair FPS slghtly, the perfomance hit is not that harsh.

Yay!

Uh, yeah, it does. Just like any other AI that's on the map. AI in general causes a pretty substantial performance hit. I notice at least a 10 FPS drop when having AI.

Do we know, on avg. If say between 25 to 50 or 50 to 100 enemy running TPW and WWAIcover mods. How much extra CPU useage is happning? What type of Fps loss one would have (10fps > or < ). Just curious on avg....

If I were to pick a CPU culprit it would be LOS. Once you have significant numbers of nearby combatants they are all performing a lot of calculations. TBH I don't use it, I think the latest iterations of AI behaviour have made it largely redundant. It's my hope that BIS continues to make other aspects of my work redundant .

---------- Post added at 06:15 ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 ----------

Several times while spotting from up high in hills, I get buzzed by civilians driving their vehicles around up in the heights :)

I don't know if they spawned up there or drove up there from roads, deciding that their next waypoint is quicker reached overland (i.e. not via roads).

I don't mind it too much (aside from making me nervous especially when I know DAC patrols are around ;)) but is there a way to reduce this behavior?

AI pathfinding is fraught. I can run a "is civ vehicle off road" check and delete any offenders. That's about it in the short term.

Manged to get the script to work eventually thanks all.

On another note , I have been getting this gamebreaking issue with ai friendly soldiers being stuck to the ground unable to move and will not follow orders. I know they are physically stuck because when I team switch they can not move , spinning is ok and so is shooting. Anyone else getting this??????

TPW,

I remember reading on one of your posts a while back you thought LOS may become obsolete. Maybe have default userconfig with TPW_LOS active = 0?

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

Manged to get the script to work eventually thanks all.

On another note , I have been getting this gamebreaking issue with ai friendly soldiers being stuck to the ground unable to move and will not follow orders. I know they are physically stuck because when I team switch they can not move , spinning is ok and so is shooting. Anyone else getting this??????

Unfortunately, AI gets stuck a lot on Altis. Try WWAIMenu mod. He has a command to "unstuck" them.

I just played a mission for the first time since you added the music and barking dogs - wow! It's very subtle but incredibly ambient.

I hope BI changes animal behaviour a little bit so that they run away from vehicles. Or maybe they'll change AI drivers so that they ignore animals on the road. Either way, these AI vehicle-animal staring contests in the middle of missions need to stop. :) (It's especially funny that ai drivers will completely stop for animals, but they'll run down my compatriots without a second thought. Is this a PETA-run island?)

Was making sure everything was all clear after a firefight today, as a civ vehicle pulled up behind me. I figured he could wait on me. I have a gun, so if he's in a hurry, he'll just have to cope with it. But then he starts interupting me by honking every so often. My patience for him ran out soon after, so I shot him in the face. Problem solved... Till he promptly started honking again through death. I had to send that whole damn fuel truck on a fiery ride to hell before I could continue my work in peace.

Was making sure everything was all clear after a firefight today, as a civ vehicle pulled up behind me. I figured he could wait on me. I have a gun, so if he's in a hurry, he'll just have to cope with it. But then he starts interupting me by honking every so often. My patience for him ran out soon after, so I shot him in the face. Problem solved... Till he promptly started honking again through death. I had to send that whole damn fuel truck on a fiery ride to hell before I could continue my work in peace.

Sounds like Grand Theft Altis.

I just played a mission for the first time since you added the music and barking dogs - wow! It's very subtle but incredibly ambient.

You beat me to it. Great combo TPW.

TPW,

I remember reading on one of your posts a while back you thought LOS may become obsolete. Maybe have default userconfig with TPW_LOS active = 0?

You know what, I think I will.

I hope BI changes animal behaviour a little bit so that they run away from vehicles. Or maybe they'll change AI drivers so that they ignore animals on the road. Either way, these AI vehicle-animal staring contests in the middle of missions need to stop. :) (It's especially funny that ai drivers will completely stop for animals, but they'll run down my compatriots without a second thought. Is this a PETA-run island?)

I'm going to attempt animal dispersal when the horn beeps, but no promises yet. Animals don't actually spawn on roads, but do sometimes move onto them. If it's PETA run, where are the nude celebrities?

Bad day for him wasn't it? This behaviour is fixed in the update I'll release today.