Sign in to follow this  
Prkr5885

New to Arma 3 Mods

Hello, I am a noob to arma in general, haven't even played dayz yet(waiting for standalone.)

I have played arma 3 a tiny bit, but I haven't really found a good server, plus Im new to the modding side.

One of the very unusual things that brought me to arma, was that there was somewhat realistic modern jet combat, now don't tell me the jet in game is very realistic please, I don't even know how to select rockets/missiles on it.

My problem with arma is, if I install mods, like let's say theres a jet mod, if I install it, would there be servers that run it?

Or what if I installed a weapons mod, how many servers for it would there be? Thank you :)

I also see all these people with jets somehow in this game, they port them over from arma 2? Is it possible for me to even if I don't have arma 2?

Edited by Prkr5885

I don't even know how to select rockets/missiles on it.

By default, LeftCtrl+F will cycle between available vehicle/gunner weapons systems.

My problem with arma is, if I install mods, like let's say theres a jet mod, if I install it, would there be servers that run it?

Or what if I installed a weapons mod, how many servers for it would there be?

Depends upon the popularity of the add-on.

I also see all these people with jets somehow in this game, they port them over from arma 2? Is it possible for me to even if I don't have arma 2?

All In Arma. No, you must already own Arma 2/Arma 2 OA.

In general, I think it makes the most sense to find a server/community that you enjoy playing on/with, then use the add-ons they use, rather than downloading a bunch of random assets and trying to find a server that allows them.

Hi Prkr5885.

Although i dont own Arma3 yet, i do own all the other games (OFP,Arma1,Arma2,OA) i can clear up some things for you.

First terminology.

In the modding community we have various terms for various things:

1. Addons - these are files added to the game like a mod, but, an addon can be a jet, a car, a gun, a soldier, or even a gameplay feature or function.

2. Mods - Mods are very large, they can be many things, a mod for example ACE contains many functions, and features for gameplay,

it also contains many vehicles, weapons, and the sort.

As for your questions

I don't even know how to select rockets/missiles on it.

Can be the same controls for switching weapons as you would for infantry, the only difference in controls for planes or jets is the thrust, climb, dive, bank

keys if you use them. me i use my mouse to bank, climb, and dive, switch guns with middle mouse, fire with my left, lock on with my rmb,

and thrust with my forward arrow key. For an idea.

if I install mods, like let's say theres a jet mod, if I install it, would there be servers that run it?

No their wont.

Addons and mods when you install them are for singleplayer, however there are many too that work in mp, depends what it is,

but most work in mp, but you wont find a server with your particular addon because the person/people/clan/whomever is hosting and

running that server will need to have that addon on the server and in a mission for you to play with it.

Just because you installed a jet into the game, it wont mean that everyone else, and servers included has that too, that jet is individual too you,

its on your computer and in your game.

Plus that jet to be flyable ingame needs a mission built and the jet to be put in it, so as an example:

My friend and I had many servers over the years for Arma1, Arma2, and Arma2CO, I admined the server put files on it, missions ect,.

Our server was private, ti was 4 slots, it was just for me and him and maybe 2 others if they were interested, so what we did is we liked to play various types of missions together,

one mission in particular called Evolution i had edited and added many fighter jets and helicopters too it as well as infantry weapons and other stuff.

So what i had to do is I created a mod folder i downloaded all the fighter jets I wanted in the mission, put them all into a folder titled @jets with

subfolder inside (addons) and then put it on the server.

My point being:

Now for my buddy and I to play that Evolution mission with all those jets, him and I both needed the @jets mod I created, as well as the server.

Then when we joined the server we picked the mission and it loaded np.

-If my friend lets say didn't have the @jets folder and I did, then i can play and he cant.

-if we both had that folder, but the server didn't then neither of us could play.

-if the server had the folder, and we both had the folder but the server didn't have a mission where those jets were in,

then neither of us can play, as the addons can only be used in a mission.

Or what if I installed a weapons mod, how many servers for it would there be?

Same as above, if you installed a weapons mod, a mod being many weapons, versus an addon which would be maybe 1 or a few weapons, or feature depends,

then again a server needs to have that addon or mod on the server, and they need a mission that was built by either you, or whomever to have

that weapon/s in the mission to be able to use them.

So overall when you download something and install it, what you install is specific to your computer and game, its not universal like theres servers for it.

On another note for large mods like ACE for example, there would be maybe Idk you would need to look, but servers that run ACE only missions.

Same for Dayz, Dayz is a mod, there are servers for it.

Does that all make sense?

Edited by Günter Severloh