Sign in to follow this  
ToM666

Gpu_maxframes ahead = 1000?

Hi guys

A friend of mine sent me

and it claims to improve FPS in game.

If you watch the video it claims that if you go into the Arma.cfg file and change the "GPU_Maxframes ahead = 1000" to "GPU_Maxframes ahead = 1" you will get a significant FPS gain.

Before I start messing with my settings can anyone explain what it does and why if it impairs performance if it is set to 1000?

What do we gain by having it set so high that justifies the impairment of performance if that is the case?

Many Thanks

ToM

This tweak has been around for a long time, at least since Arma 2, and maybe as far back as Arma 1/OFP (?)

I've never seen any performance boost, but I've got a pretty capable system. Others do swear by it, though some also swear that changing GPU_DetectedFramesAhead helps, too - it doesn't, as this isn't a value that the game reads.

As for what it is actually doing, I've never found a clear, reliable explanation.

From nvidia:

controls the number of frames the CPU prepares in advanced of being rendered by the GPU. The default value is 3 - higher values tend to result in smoother but more laggy gameplay, while lower values can help reduce mouse and keyboard lag. However extremely low values such as 0 may hurt performance, so I recommend this option be kept at its default of 3 globally, and only adjusted downwards in specific game profiles. Remember, in most cases mouse lag is due to low framerates, so adjusting this option is not an automatic cure to lag issues, nor should it be the first thing you try. Finally, it only works in DirectX games, not OpenGL games.

all documented ...

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/arma2.cfg#Generic_config

yet there is newly added for arma3.cfg

tripleBuffering=1; //boolean, default 0 as disabled

it's experimental, may have no effect or slightly decrease fps

You may not need it, as we don't use normal double buffering

all documented ...

Just had a game on a server with this set to 1 and can't honestly say there was a huge difference either way.

The FPS wasn't noticeably better or worse although the game appeared to run smoother. That might have just been me though and I was imagining it.

I'm going to leave it switched on for a while and take some controlled FPS readings. I'll report back if I find anything significant.

ToM

it's not going to increase your FPS ... it's going to help with e.g. responsivnes of mouse

it's not going to increase your FPS ... it's going to help with e.g. responsivnes of mouse

Well that explains it then :o

Yep it helps for mouse lag and can reduce some feeling of stutter that way. You don't notice fps increase but game can feel smoother so that's why people says it increases performance. Helped me a lot in Arma 2 because before the game felt way more laggy when I had lower fps so I could enjoy gaming wigh lower fps.

Yep it helps for mouse lag and can reduce some feeling of stutter that way. You don't notice fps increase but game can feel smoother so that's why people says it increases performance. Helped me a lot in Arma 2 because before the game felt way more laggy when I had lower fps so I could enjoy gaming wigh lower fps.

I see.

I have to say I just flown a chopper and the joystick response seemed way smoother and more responsive.

Was I imagining it is that another positive aspect of having triple buffering switched on?

all documented ...

I text searched arma3.exe and "tripleBuffering" can't be found like all the other config variables (using dev version if it matters).

Maybe it was implemented in an earlier version but it got removed.

Edited by TonyGrunt

it was implemented since 109519 build , tho it might not be in the 1.0 stable branch ... will see when the DEV branch rolls out (will check afterward)

it was implemented since 109519 build , tho it might not be in the 1.0 stable branch ... will see when the DEV branch rolls out (will check afterward)

After dev branch update tripleBuffering is back.

After dev branch update tripleBuffering is back.

i knew it, someone forgot inform me ... {messenger got demoted}