Sign in to follow this  
Takoda

ARMA 3 Close Quaters Battle video and discussion thread

That`s why infantry often trains different shooting drills for closer distances. You learn to shoot and react pretty quick. When using holosights or other modern sights you can still be very accurate. But it tends to get more messy the closer you get to an enemy. And if you are too close and too surprised you can still hit while using no sights at all. It only depends on your training.

But this should be simulated in the AI also. Some more surprised reactions would be nice. Also a different stance while in CQB and a different amount of shots. You keep shooting until the enemy is down and no threat any more.

It's not realistic to be accurate at close ranges under high duress either.

I do agree the AI have the advantage of remaining calm when under fire whereas human players often panic and fire of sloppy shots, however the AI are far from invincible, I find that usually whoever gets the first jump on their opponent has the best chance of surviving CQB in ARMA 3.

It's funny how AI sometimes clip through walls with their barrels and shoot you even though they shouldn't see you. It's so much fun, I only play CQB. At least A3 is so realistic that I can't hit them because, well, they are behind a wall after all. lol

Edited by Curry

It's funny how AI sometimes clip through walls with their barrels and shoot you even though they shouldn't see you. It's so much fun, I only play CQB. At least A3 is so realistic that I can't hit them because, well, they are behind a wall after all. lol

>barrels clipping through walls

>good thing A3 is realistic when it serves as a personal detriment

wat

---------- Post added at 07:54 ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 ----------

R71 I am using TPW's Engine based suppression mod and zorilya's garrison script for AI placed in urban environments, maybe you can try this and test results.

Not to beat a dead horse, but had there been some kind of inertial handling system incorporated for both players and ai, the kill made by the AI in this first video wouldn't have been so one sided.

I think simply increasing random ballistic pattern variations via difficulty settings - is or "should" be opening up the door, getting on the floor, and going the way of the dinosaur.

The next milsim to include:

-arm muscle simulation including "tensor" and "flexor" variables including weight of items being carried will - if executed correctly make both combat environments more challenging and fulfilling.

You won't feel like you simply beat the odds on a random number generator in terms of random accuracy deviation, but will be able to determine your likelihood of success based on a real physical ability of certain soldiers based on their strength/training to respond to threats at lateral and perpendicular threats, instead of relying on and arguing for the necessity of unrealistically fast snap reflexes that have virtually no real world corollary.

Edited by Pd3

More testing of the AI's CQB reactions. My aiming is still deplorable when under pressure but it's great fun slugging it out at close range.

In A2 the CQB was really good, provided the AI were modded. They were pretty intuitive and engaged correctly from inside buildings, using correct stances, plus using windows, doorways, rooftops, balconies etc.

Of course the movement was not as smooth as A3, but with SMK, ST Movement etc it was good enough. The tactics and game-play gained from a well modded AI, gives far greater realism and game immersion, that too was a joy in A2 and still is.

Zorilla script works o.k. in A3, replaces the need for that part of GL4, maybe even took from that, not sure, anyway it works well, puts the AI inside buildings better than the stock AI system. Also GL4 works to a point in A3, but it really isn’t going to be an answer for the future for AI.

Moving through town/villages (inc buildings) is what I’m testing at the moment with modded A3, trying to find more depth to the game, more along the lines of my A2 game-play. I have done 16 solid hrs testing AI in A3 yesterday, gruelling but worth it, need to find a reason why I bought my new pc, A3 runs fine on my old one, but if I can get AI working really hard (cpu), it may need my new pc after all, always hoping.:)

But AI still can't avoid of grenade

AI can and do, throw grenades back or away from themselves if they have the chance to, that’s courtesy of SLX (shot effects pbo). Only in A2 however, at the moment anyway.;)

Ha! You soon learnt to stop over-extending on the staircase and I like the way 'single fire' turned to 'fully automatic' on initial encounter. Welcome to close quarter firefights! Their reactions are so variable, what do you expect on pointing out in the videos?

In A2 the CQB was really good, provided the AI were modded. They were pretty intuitive and engaged correctly from inside buildings, using correct stances, plus using windows, doorways, rooftops, balconies etc.

Of course the movement was not as smooth as A3, but with SMK, ST Movement etc it was good enough. The tactics and game-play gained from a well modded AI, gives far greater realism and game immersion, that too was a joy in A2 and still is.

Zorilla script works o.k. in A3, replaces the need for that part of GL4, maybe even took from that, not sure, anyway it works well, puts the AI inside buildings better than the stock AI system. Also GL4 works to a point in A3, but it really isn’t going to be an answer for the future for AI.

Moving through town/villages (inc buildings) is what I’m testing at the moment with modded A3, trying to find more depth to the game, more along the lines of my A2 game-play. I have done 16 solid hrs testing AI in A3 yesterday, gruelling but worth it, need to find a reason why I bought my new pc, A3 runs fine on my old one, but if I can get AI working really hard (cpu), it may need my new pc after all, always hoping.:)

is that me, or comparing modded arma 2 with vanilla arma 3, isn't that right?

:confused: not sure I understand this.

or want to.

I was being straight there, not sure I understood what you were saying.

Though guessing, I think your saying its wrong to compare the two ? If so why ?

i see you quite often, talking about, how good is AI in modded arma 2, and it's better then in arma 3. And i'm saying, this is not correct to compare a modded game with vanilla.

If we didn’t compare modded against Vanilla, few mod/addons would be made and even fewer players would play using them, which would all be a shame really.

Modded AI is better in both games at the moment, some decent mod/addons coming along.

i see you quite often, talking about, how good is AI in modded arma 2, and it's better then in arma 3. And i'm saying, this is not correct to compare a modded game with vanilla.

If it's a vanilla game, it's OK for stuff to be shit? Let people who get no compensation from BIS keep fixing the same things in their game year after year if BIS are too lazy to add them after so many years?

Edited by metalcraze

or want to.

You seriously have issues. Do you follow everyone and attempt to attack them for everything they do? What ChrisB is trying to do would be to test the AI and find an ideal equilibrium that the AI should be at. Say, you see how the modded AI in ARMA 2 behave almost human like. I'm assuming ChrisB would be gathering some AI mods and such for ARMA 3 as well and test the AI some times to see how they react and such and yet you criticize this? What is wrong with you? You seem to follow people around and bash them for everything? My question to you is, what have you done for the community that you must go around and bashing everyone else?

Reason why it is good to compared the modded AI to vanilla is the see where their shortcomings are and what should be improve on. How is it not correct to find the right equilbrium in an ideal AI?

Actually no, it's a newer game with newer technology (or at least "should" have improved gameplay tech).

I would like to think that most people see that as integral to advancing a series as visuals and sound.

Basically, developers should always be looking for new ways to improve upon or address issues in previous games in a more forward thinking manner.

Back in the days of OFP, somebody went out of the way to mod in bouncing tracers for added realism, and lo and behold it was implemented in further versions in the series.

I think it's entirely appropriate to be critical of features found in newer games versus the capacity of end user modifications in older games - it's a good way to tell if the devs are paying attention.

---------- Post added at 16:46 ---------- Previous post was at 16:44 ----------

Ha! You soon learnt to stop over-extending on the staircase and I like the way 'single fire' turned to 'fully automatic' on initial encounter. Welcome to close quarter firefights! Their reactions are so variable, what do you expect on pointing out in the videos?

I would still like to see some better "IK" for being hit by nonlethal shots. Not really something that has been pursued in most games as yet.

Anyways, I'm assuming its Zorilya garrison script used in the video? I'm wondering if its compatible for MP and dedicated servers since I might make a CQB building sweeping mission some time in the future after some experimentation.

158 132 Stratis, just West of the airfield. Has anyone noticed the barns here? They are God damn awful to get into! The 'smaller' doorways - which could fit a person in kit - often have you stuck from width issues and you have to squeeze around and keep trying to get a diagonal angle to get inside. I thought these issues would have been long gone since A2 but the famous LODs are back.

New to A3 (from A2).

CQB looks better in some ways - but just play tested for not even an hour after DL -

1. You teammates still do not enter buildings with you it seems? My group basically stayed outside while I went into houses (really wish this wasn't still the case, would be great to have AI teammates clearing places with you).

2. There is still no option to order AI teammates to clear a structure on their own yet is there? (or more as a group).

Thanks.

Yep, CQB is better now.

But the actual CQB locations aka. buildings are "dumbed down" now, leaving little cover and atmosphere. Where's the furniture? Come on, some simple proxy furniture takes like 5min to add per model. If we had the MLODs, I would add them myself.

Right now it looks like everyone has moved out.

New to A3 (from A2).

CQB looks better in some ways - but just play tested for not even an hour after DL -

1. You teammates still do not enter buildings with you it seems? My group basically stayed outside while I went into houses (really wish this wasn't still the case, would be great to have AI teammates clearing places with you).

2. There is still no option to order AI teammates to clear a structure on their own yet is there? (or more as a group).

Thanks.

1. you can command ai to go in, selecting them and by clicking on any floor in the house.

2. No, but by selecting one of them, and looking at a house, there should be house position #1 whatever highlighten, command him to go there, and he will go inside the house.

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Yep, CQB is better now.

But the actual CQB locations aka. buildings are "dumbed down" now, leaving little cover and atmosphere. Where's the furniture? Come on, some simple proxy furniture takes like 5min to add per model. If we had the MLODs, I would add them myself.

Right now it looks like everyone has moved out.

oh no, do i heard "dumbed down" again? ;) I think, that world combination should be forbidden on the forums.^^

Also Windwalking has a mod that features both a Clear House and Garrison house command -pretty nifty :)

I was really hoping that Arma 3 would have advanced some of these interior features themselves such as clickin on a house and then a submenu would appear for AI to go to certain floor/clear house etc... with accompanying behaviors and animations.....one day....