Sign in to follow this  
Takoda

ARMA 3 Close Quaters Battle video and discussion thread

I am really impressed with how fluid the animations and movement are in ARMA 3, and how efficient the AI are at fighting indoors. Fighting indoors used to feel clunky in ARMA 2, but now everything feels smooth and fast, and the AI react very quickly to threats and are a real challenge to kill at close quarters. If anyone would like to share more videos or discuss CQB in ARMA 3 please post here, I think its an interesting topic worthy of its own thread. Here are some videos of me getting my arse kicked by the AI. :)

Agree, Arma 3 is the first of the series that has a really smooth CQB and infantry simulation.

There's always issues with A.I. They're not human, they're sometimes superhuman and sometimes borderline retarded. In close combat they tend to be superhuman more than not--unless that is they're repositioning which normally puts them into your crosshairs rather than the opposite. Sometimes extended armor means you can shoot someone to see them 'recoil' from the impact and still need a few more rounds to be taken down - by which time they've usually shot you dead.

Sometimes scarily accurate. Some people I believe get the idea of accuracy mixed up there - that you're more accurate the closer you are. Maybe on the range but in a very stressful environment with someone on the opposite side of the door it's just as likely to miss. The A.I. seem to react opposite to this, headshots and chest shots moving upwards.

There are some minor issues when it comes to CQB. Doors that can't be run (flat) to the wall (most have lips on them and cannot be pushed all the way back, even if so they're static objects) and therefore stick out, some small LOD and clipping issues on corner feds and outward swinging doors that I have seen on occasion since the Alpha.

Grenades help but ladders are still frustrating choke points where you cannot really offensively do anything productive. A huge improvement, couldn't ask for more really but if you were looking for encountered problems there's a few that I have come across.

An article I wrote a while ago on three basic entries: http://www.ausarma.org/topic/3068-close-quarter-battle-the-three-stepping-stones/ Light reading. By way nothing of great value, but I know some people like that kind of thing.

Takoda, the title is practically troll bait... so I wanted to say, before they derail the thread and engulf us, it was nice knowing you! :lol: Seriously though, you're touching on what's become one of THE biggest selling points for Arma 3 outside of the BI forums... ;) (That is, on other forums' own Arma 3 threads.)

Rye, for what it's worth, stuff like the AI rotation speed and other changes that got "reverted" on dev branch are scheduled to be brought back on Monday as part of the first post-release dev branch patch. :)

Yeah I remember you telling me. That should be good.

I have not been doing much game time with arma 3. I just did some test in the editor with super ai on and skill bar to the max when I place the ai, and they are nothing like they used to be :( I was even able to type to a friend on steam and hear shots go by then get back in game and kill them, and this was at cqb range. Looks like they gave in to all the new people that said the ai was to hard, or this is some kind of bug. I had five ai not in the same group set on a guard waypoint. I was able to throw a frag at one while the other ai just down the street 25 yards at most away not even turn around. The test were done in single player editor and all five ai were no more they 100 yards apart

I am impressed with how fluid the animations and movement are though. :ok:

To the OP, you made it very easy for them to kill you. Your reaction time was very slow and you did not use the tools they gave you, like lean in video 6. And never go up the stairs like that in video 7. Use crouch when you get part way up there and pop up and down. Or you can just chuck a frag in the window if you know he is up there :p

Edited by R71

I have not been doing much game time with arma 3. I just did some test in the editor with super ai on and skill bar to the max when I place the ai, and they are nothing like they used to be :( I was even able to type to a friend on steam and hear shots go by then get back in game and kill them, and this was at cqb range. Looks like they gave in to all the new people that said the ai was to hard, or this is some kind of bug. I had five ai not in the same group set on a guard waypoint. I was able to throw a frag at one while the other ai just down the street 25 yards at most away not even turn around. The test were done in single player editor and all five ai were no more they 100 yards apart

I'm not sure why the AI are reacting different for you than me, especially considering that you have raised their skill bars to max. I'm finding the AI very efficient and lethal at all engagement ranges, I'll post some more videos later so we can compare the AI behaviours.

To the OP, you made it very easy for them to kill you. Your reaction time was very slow and you did not use the tools they gave you, like lean in video 6. And never go up the stairs like that in video 7. Use crouch when you get part way up there and pop up and down.

Thanks for the tactical advice, I will try this for sure.

Or you can just chuck a frag in the window if you know he is up there :p

I am using the Garrison script by zorilya for the AI in urban areas so it's virtually impossible to know which buildings and rooms the AI will be in at any given time because they patrol randomly through different buidings.

Maybe I could join you and have a look. I have run so many hour in arma just looking at the ai react. I have never seen them act so odd like this. Its almost if there on super low setting. One of the times the ai that was down the street from the other did not move for about 3 mins. He just stood there like I never shot and killed the other, then after about 3 mins he went into hunt mode for me. One time I was also able to slow run across the street and only get hit once from about 15 yards from the ai. Will have to have another look when I get some better sleep lol.

I don't have much to say.

CQC is simply way better in ARMA 3. Not CQC is actually enjoyable instead of being a pain in the ass. Well done BIS!:D

Maybe I could join you and have a look. I have run so many hour in arma just looking at the ai react. I have never seen them act so odd like this. Its almost if there on super low setting. One of the times the ai that was down the street from the other did not move for about 3 mins. He just stood there like I never shot and killed the other, then after about 3 mins he went into hunt mode for me. One time I was also able to slow run across the street and only get hit once from about 15 yards from the ai. Will have to have another look when I get some better sleep lol.

Yeah that's real odd, maybe you are running conflicting mods that are causing the AI to act strange?

Here are a couple of videos to show how the AI are behaving for me. In this first video you will notice that in the split second I take my eyes off the buildings in front of me to quickly scan a window to my left a enemy AI suddenly appears on a balcony up the street and nails me.

In this second video I use the crouching tactic that you advised me to use when walking up stairs and ambush a enemy AI, another AI peeks around the edge of a window and almost nails me, I kill him and after clearing another room I am shot by a enemy AI that suddenly leans around the corner of a upstairs window in a house directly across the street. I don't believe I have ever seen AI this good before.

OP, you know you can lean in Arma right?

Yeah I definitely got to start practicing my leaning, I bought a new gaming mouse today so hopefully the extra buttons will make leaning easier for me because I am hopelessly slow when using the keyboard. :icon_redface:

Don't forget that you can also lean from the sidestep adjusted stance in both standing and crouching/kneeling as well!

damn, i do simply love, the shouts you can hear from any soldiers now, brings so much immersionm, makes the bots feel more natural. Hostiles! 2 attack that rifleman! Copy i'm on him! Hostlie down!

and yes, close quartes fights, felts never so excisting as now. Sometimes bots still do no react to you, even you have shot their mates iin neightbour room, but still, they are quite dangerous inside as well. Great job bis, you wanted to improve infantery combat, you sucessed!

Don't forget that you can also lean from the sidestep adjusted stance in both standing and crouching/kneeling as well!

Thanks Chortles, could you please tell me how to do the sidestep adjusted stance.

Hold your stance adjustor button and click A or D (left or right).

Hold your stance adjustor button and click A or D (left or right).

Thanks Rye, I seen the adjusted stance months ago in Dslyexi's movement and shooting tutorial video but could never figure out how to do it.

Sorry for shamelessly advertizing my work on here, but you might also want to try my Stance adjustment mod if you want to use the sidesteps more dynamically.

Thanks mate I will test this out immediately.

Was doing some more test on some town on the coast. I came out of the water from a sub and one of the ai walked through a wall and shot me lol. Looks like the old bugs are in the new game. I can still see that the ai can be great many times but something is a bit off with how they will not react sometimes. This is par of what I was talking about the other day http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179208127 They are on guard waypoint set for combat and I was able to fire and kill that one but the other did nothing about it sometimes. I have also seen them run in place when they get to my waypoint, so I don't know what's up with the ai.

I use no mods or scripts, and I did a uninstall and re dl the game and it still acts the same.

R71 I am using TPW's Engine based suppression mod and zorilya's garrison script for AI placed in urban environments, maybe you can try this and test results.

AI accuracy is too high. Their reaction time is fine, but they should miss more. They lock on to you in 1 second and kill you.

AI accuracy is too high. Their reaction time is fine, but they should miss more. They lock on to you in 1 second and kill you.

AI accuracy can be reduced by adjusting their skill level, I just prefer to make the AI as lethal as possible because it constantly keeps me on my toes.

AI accuracy can be reduced by adjusting their skill level, I just prefer to make the AI as lethal as possible because it constantly keeps me on my toes.

it should be accurate at close ranges, but not giving you a headshot at 300m+ distances, which in my opinion, quite annoying and not much realistic, unless it's a sniper shot. I preffer to set them to 50, so i'm and them, have more similar chances to kill eachother.

It's not realistic to be accurate at close ranges under high duress either.