Sign in to follow this  
nes4day

An objective look on ArmA III's initial release content.

Hi.

I'm not here to bitch, moan or cry, lol, but IMHO the difference between Arma2's and Arma3's copy/paste is in Arma 2(just like its predecessors) bluefor and opfor had their own equipment. In ArmA3 things have been copy/pasted to different factions.

So I went ingame to try some things out and I see why I was wrong now, I was looking mostly at non autonomous vehicles. There is no denying they got lazy there by giving them the same things across the board, I also noticed in the weapon crates that all sides used the same launcher, they all had the same SDAR (this one I could excuse since its a unique weapon), theres no arguing with the unmanned vehicles, not even the strongest fanatic could rightly defend that, even the blueforce and redfor had different UAV's in Arma 2.

And of course despite having different chassis on their artillery and AA, they share the same turret setup which struck me as odd, otherwise the cars, IFV's, tanks, helicopters, jet (pfftkchchkckh) and normal weapons seem to be different.

Yes this is mine, and a lot of others problem ^

Lots of people who are supposedly annoyed about Lack of content are actually just annoyed about the copy and paste between the two major factions. And we get threads like these showing how much Arma3 has compared to older Armas. Which is missing the point a bit.

I am happy with the amount of units for each side, I don't want a numerical increase in vehicles/units from what we have now. But, I do want them to make properly unique assets for each of the two major factions, like we have always had since OFP. EAST and WEST have never shared units, or chassis, or turrets in the series before, for obvious reasons. It make no logical sense, it looks cheap and it has the potential to cause nasty Friendly Fire incidents online/offline.

What would make me happy (as far as content goes) would be for them to: (In order of preference)

1. Give different turrets for the AA tank and Arty tank. And also the APC turret (not as important as the other two though).

2. Give us 2 new models to replace the copy pasted Wheeled and aerial Drones.

3. Give us a different main assault boat for one of the factions.

4. Give us unique launchers and Static weapons for the Two Major factions.

I don't think this is asking the world, and I think most of the people who are complaining about Copy & Pasted assets would be happy with this.

I can't believe that even the 3D modellers that made these vehicles would be happy with themselves or pleased with what BIS gave in the release. The visual quality of the vehicles/objects in Arma3 is really good, so it kind of craps on their work to just use copy and paste. Especially with the tank turrets, it looks horrible and rushed Imo.

Edited by -=seany=-

Making A3 in 2035 was like shooting themselves in the foot.

Thats why there are issues with nearly everything. We can't get our terrific A2 content because of this 30 years in the future. To get 2035 right you need to allocate a lot of resources to make everything new, they simply bit off way more then they can chew and now we are left with a game with very little content. I would have liked if they would have simply ported everything from a2 with the new engine with an additional 10 units and a few guns then having everything new.

There are many things A3 did right.

but you simply can not defend they when speaking about content.

Making A3 in 2035 was like shooting themselves in the foot.

Thats why there are issues with nearly everything. We can't get our terrific A2 content because of this 30 years in the future. To get 2035 right you need to allocate a lot of resources to make everything new, they simply bit off way more then they can chew and now we are left with a game with very little content. I would have liked if they would have simply ported everything from a2 with the new engine with an additional 10 units and a few guns then having everything new.

There are many things A3 did right.

but you simply can not defend they when speaking about content.

Well I would say that BIS has certainly slipped up slightly - but only in terms of SP content IMO. I don't think you can judge the game until it is released in its entirety. Having the game released over 4 iterations is a new format, and one that many people seem to dislike, seeing only the initial content as representative of the final product. Whether this release format eventually turns into something positive is something yet to be seen, but I see a lot of initial resistance :)