milkdud657

low FPS on high end PC

Don't use the ingame fps value to view it. The game is paused, this lessens the load on the machine and alters the value.

MSI Afterburner + Rivatuner Stat server would be better, or any other fps monitor tool (other than fraps, avoid that).

i have plenty of arma vids/past recordings showing fps on my twitch channel, which is in my profile :)

also ChrisB, is that singel or multiplayer?

actually i realize it's quite hard to see what fps im getting as my stream quality is lacking due to upload speed :p i can do whatever test you want me to do, just let me know what/where etc

Edited by pr0ph3tSWE

Don't use the ingame fps value to view it. The game is paused, this lessens the load on the machine and alters the value.

MSI Afterburner + Rivatuner Stat server would be better, or any other fps monitor tool (other than fraps, avoid that).

I have msi running all the time, also use Playclaw for cpu monitoring, msi doesn’t do that for ati. Marries up with the in-game menu value as well as the in-game fps counter, on my machine.

I have a test on YT, it’s a video but made of screenshots, gives an accurate fps count (here), plus shows limited benefit of having the menu up on screen (+1-2fps).

That was on Stratis, fps was very high on there 60/70fps inland, 100+ airfield.

_______

i have plenty of arma vids/past recordings showing fps on my twitch channel, which is in my profile :)

also ChrisB, is that singel or multiplayer?

actually i realize it's quite hard to see what fps im getting as my stream quality is lacking due to upload speed :p i can do whatever test you want me to do, just let me know what/where etc

This is single player, don’t do mp now, but it handles A2 mp really well, so I would imagine it would get by in A3.

However, I would only ever play on a private server, not public. I used to play with a small group of friends, around 30 of us on a private server run by one of the group, performance was very good indeed in A2, would be the same for A3, I have no doubt of that.

Servers, you have to be on a good one. setup right.

SP missions average 40-50fps, that's my own missions, designed to be performance based, limit of 150 ai on the map. There the type of skirmish missions I play the most, keeps ai sensible, well as much as possible in A3.

I also put up a guide regards ai amounts and fps performance, cpu usage, gpu usage etc, that's on YT (in 'Other A2 & A3', playlist).

__

Regards Machines:

Show some results by all means, it helps, rather than just saying amd are no good with arma, which is completely false.

Intel and AMD machines are having problems with the game, why, who knows but its not exclusive to either machine.

Its probably the machine setup, imho.. Plus the players expectations, playing badly made missions, will give bad performance.

A badly setup machine is another story, go play cards..:rolleyes:

I have msi running all the time, also use Playclaw for cpu monitoring, msi doesn’t do that for ati. Marries up with the in-game menu value as well as the in-game fps counter, on my machine.

I have a test on YT, it’s a video but made of screenshots, gives an accurate fps count (here), plus shows limited benefit of having the menu up on screen (+1-2fps).

That was on Stratis, fps was very high on there 60/70fps inland, 100+ airfield.

_______

This is single player, don’t do mp now, but it handles A2 mp really well, so I would imagine it would get by in A3.

However, I would only ever play on a private server, not public. I used to play with a small group of friends, around 30 of us on a private server run by one of the group, performance was very good indeed in A2, would be the same for A3, I have no doubt of that.

Servers, you have to be on a good one. setup right.

SP missions average 40-50fps, that's my own missions, designed to be performance based, limit of 150 ai on the map. There the type of skirmish missions I play the most, keeps ai sensible, well as much as possible in A3.

I also put up a guide regards ai amounts and fps performance, cpu usage, gpu usage etc, that's on YT (in 'Other A2 & A3', playlist).

__

Regards Machines:

Show some results by all means, it helps, rather than just saying amd are no good with arma, which is completely false.

Intel and AMD machines are having problems with the game, why, who knows but its not exclusive to either machine.

Its probably the machine setup, imho.. Plus the players expectations, playing badly made missions, will give bad performance.

A badly setup machine is another story, go play cards..:rolleyes:

as i don't have access to your missions i tested with 2 of the default missions, editor and 49 player sa-matra wasteland altis server.

first of all, the settings i play with, http://imgur.com/a/kjpVv

res: 1080p, v-sync disabled, 100 fov.

pc specs in signature

heli showcase, http://imgur.com/a/HaBT7#1

armed assault showcase: http://imgur.com/a/UMC8y#0

35 fps was the lowest i noticed in that showcase

editor, on top of hospital overlooking Kavala: http://imgur.com/a/KYEKO

sa-matra wasteland, 49 players, uk # 4 (maybe? goldfish memory :D), http://imgur.com/a/NztGl#0

fps in multiplayer is 35-60 depending on area etc

and last, ArmA3Mark altis run, http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19801, http://i.imgur.com/HMC6adh.jpg

and as a reply to your youtube video i ran around stratis in the editor as well, same settings etc, http://imgur.com/a/oQFew#2

while you're right about peoples badly set up pc's and bad mission coding amd is slower in arma as well, im really sad i didn't do more indepth testing when i had my fx-8350 as it would have been interesting for everyone to see the difference :)

last one, decided to do one with 1500 (second pic is 3k view distance) view distance to give you an idea about the difference, http://imgur.com/a/MI1Ol#2

Edited by pr0ph3tSWE

That’s better for those interested, they can see what a similar pc to your's can do.

Nice that you can play the game, but the thing to remember is, there are intel and amd users playing it just as well, and probably many playing it a whole lot better, than either of us..;)

That’s better for those interested, they can see what a similar pc to your's can do.

Nice that you can play the game, but the thing to remember is, there are intel and amd users playing it just as well, and probably many playing it a whole lot better, than either of us..;)

i would bet my left nut that no amd cpu to this day (liquid nitrogen oc's not included!) will run arma as good or better in multiplayer. intel yes, as the extreme cpus are quite a lot faster :)

i would bet my left nut that no amd cpu to this day (liquid nitrogen oc's not included!) will run arma as good or better in multiplayer. intel yes, as the extreme cpus are quite a lot faster :)

Sure, he reached 8Ghz but did he benchmark the system? That would be interesting to me. Not if a system can run at 8Ghz for a few minutes. Would it be better than an Intel running 5 Ghz?

Sure, he reached 8Ghz but did he benchmark the system? That would be interesting to me. Not if a system can run at 8Ghz for a few minutes. Would it be better than an Intel running 5 Ghz?

considering it was on a slightly slower amd cpu, the a10 right? i'm not sure it would beat a 5ghz i5/i7, would have been nice to see some benchmarks :D

what i did when i had my fx-8350 was lowering view distance to 1k, objects to 6-800 and put object and terrain quality on low, gave around 25-35 fps in multiplayer on the bad wasteland servers, sa-matra would give a bit more, but atm there's nothing you can do really other than overclocking or buying intel

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong...and wrong. I believe there is enough evidence on this thread to show just how wrong your bias against AMD is. Intel CPUs are def faster then AMD but the premium they charge is no where near worth it.

The point: AMD cpus are no good for smooth gameplay on Arma 3, DEAD WRONG!

I own an AMD 8350 (no overclock) and I'm running the game on high/ultra (including objects, terrain qual at high) with view distance at 3km playing on multiplayer on an average of 30-40fps. Singleplayer the game runs even better with a farther view distance (5-6km).

So when you describe your issues with AMD and Arma 3, that tells me you had a bottleneck somewhere else in your system.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong...and wrong. I believe there is enough evidence on this thread to show just how wrong your bias against AMD is. Intel CPUs are def faster then AMD but the premium they charge is no where near worth it.

The point: AMD cpus are no good for smooth gameplay on Arma 3, DEAD WRONG!

I own an AMD 8350 (no overclock) and I'm running the game on high/ultra (including objects, terrain qual at high) with view distance at 3km playing on multiplayer on an average of 30-40fps. Singleplayer the game runs even better with a farther view distance (5-6km).

So when you describe your issues with AMD and Arma 3, that tells me you had a bottleneck somewhere else in your system.

first of all, do some testing, like i did, provide us with real evidence to prove me wrong, as far as i can see im the only one who actually posted screenshots showing fps in heavier areas and multiplayer

second of all, fx-8350 is 171.6€ where i live, intel i5 4570k is 184.7€

intel motherboards range from 43€ and up, amd motherboards go for 33€ or more

so if you buy the cheapets motherboard with either of those cpus you save what, 25 euro? which is great, means you can eat like 3 pizzas, or do some calculations and realize you might save that during the course of your intel cpus life, if we're going to go that far :D

third of all, i never said you can't run arma 3 on amd cpus, i also never said you can't run it smooth on amd cpu, the fps people are getting just shows that intel is faster for arma, quite a lot faster.

and as far as bottlenecks go, maybe, i ran my fx-8350 with a asus crosshair V formula-z, zotac 670 amp!, 16gb 1600mhz ddr 3 which isn't the best ram ever but it deffo wouldn't have given me 10-20 fps extra by upgrading, win 8 on a crucial m4 64gb ssd and arma 3 on a corsair force 3 120gb ssd, latest bios, firmwares and drivers.

also having said this, i loved that amd system, it ran everything great and smooth, except arma multiplayer, singelplayer was fine, editor fps was around 80 on the airfield in similar settings to what i used in the other post, just lower view distance

if you only play arma 3 singelplayer you're fine with either but i wouldn't go with amd for multiplayer unless you're fine with 30-35 avg fps, and when i say average i mean spikes to 40's and dips to as low as 20 in some places

if you only play arma 3 singelplayer you're fine with either but i wouldn't go with amd for multiplayer unless you're fine with 30-35 avg fps, and when i say average i mean spikes to 40's and dips to as low as 20 in some places

Those numbers are not what you posted earlier, w/out going back I read your post said something along the lines of 10-11fps?...and I'm not posting screenshots, etc because I don't care enough to. I posted only because I'm running an amd cpu and like I said before, the game runs just fine. I'm not lying and I have nothing to gain by doing so, I just don't want people to be misinformed.

Those numbers are not what you posted earlier, w/out going back I read your post said something along the lines of 10-11fps?...and I'm not posting screenshots, etc because I don't care enough to. I posted only because I'm running an amd cpu and like I said before, the game runs just fine. I'm not lying and I have nothing to gain by doing so, I just don't want people to be misinformed.

i've never ever said 10-11 fps, look at the posts before you reply with quotes, heck even the post you quoted mentions double that fps :rolleyes:

and obviously you care as you decided to post, if you don't want people to be misinformed, provide some data for them to review as running "just fine" can mean anything

Game has bad core utilization like arma 2 dunno what there is to discuss I did have hope it would use more then 3 cores properlly tho :/ have 6 core I7 systems and just watch 3 in use kinda sad

Once AI core gets full lag commences just like arma 2 doesnt matter what settings u play with anymore in MP fps just drops like a rock... AI needs 2 cores utilization support but I dont think we will see it arma 2 never did so why would arma 3

I am an owner of an FX 8320 and I love KOTH and other mp games, now originally I played for years at a 3.5 ghz not even turboed lmao. I was stressing all the mf time about how crappy my cpu ran. Now this is the scoop. I love my 8320... yes I do, Overclock that sucker to 4.4 ghz higher if you can, mine is overclocked to 4.4 ghz at 1.2875 volts(your rig will most likely oc at a different voltage, do research its pretty hard to mess up unless you add way to much voltage), be carefull it gets temppins to around 62 degrees, dont sweat it AMD is known to be an endurer. Had this chip now five years. get a good 60$+ water cooler and put that sucker on full blast for when it hits around 48 degrees celcius, around 50 the chip will automatically lower ghz to 1.3 or so. you dont want that. Hey go into your bios as well and disable all the power consumption crap, you want this chip to fly dont you? why set limits on what it can do? turn the turbo off too its dumb unless you are underclocked and know what you are doing to turbo only when you need it. To me its a waste of time just get your cpu to a 24/7 clock rate and keep tabs on temps. also put automatic notices on faulty equipment if it happens or just too high of temps, honestly you will know if it is overheating.. shut off randomly etc. BTW if you overclock to 4.2 you are bascially running an amd 8350 processor...cha ching free upgrade right. 

Now arma isnt as simple as just oc'ing, yes thats the main bit. Arma cfg file in your documents under your profile, change refresh to the amount of refresh hertz your monitor is capapble of. Also change frames ahead to 4 and detected frames ahead to 1. 2ndly make arma a permanent high profile priority in the task manager, download system explorer to do it permanently as windows doesnt offer a permanent profiler. Heres where it gets good, crank up them graphics boy around very high to ultra should do it, check other peoples recommendations. I have ultra textures, very high or ultra everything else 1300 render distance should do it but you can go up to 2k. Also Im running 1440 just so you know. Oh I run an AMD 580 GPU so you probs may want to check for your specific gpu. one last thing and this is where the most potential of your cpu comes into play. Get overdrive from AMD (process affinity can also be set permanently here as well), and set a profile for arma 3 exc. under smart profile and enable all cpu core affinty 0-7 check boost state and core multiplier for core 0 only to +3 or +4 (Processor affinity. Processor affinity, or CPU pinning, enables the binding and unbinding of a process or a thread to a central processing unit (CPU) or a range of CPUs, so that the process or thread will execute only on the designated CPU or CPUs rather than any CPU.) threading is huge deal in arma basically we are making a 4 core 4 logical processor read like any good 8 core processor would. These step should dramatically change how arma and all other games runn like a beast. Dont go out and spend money on grubbers like intel, just be smart and if you have questions DM me. I love computers and I wouldnt be suggesting this in all honesty if I knew it wouldnt work. Yes the potential for damaging your cpu is there but sshoot dawg whats it worth nowadays like less than a hundred bucks? If you arent ready to move to AM4 just yet take these steps, Ive done the research and stressed the OC for capability and for errors. 

Again dm me for any tips, I know great sites and tools to help on any AMD endeavor. AMD is my ♥♥♥♥♥♥ now. 

HOPE THIS HELPS. Also get arma on your ssd