Sign in to follow this  
kartog22

Need help upgrading my PC for multiplayer

Hi

I need some advices how to upgrade my PC so it can run arma multiplayer 25+ fps ( with possibility that it never drops under 25 )

In singleplayer i can run on high with no problems. But in multiplayer it's around 17-21 fps, with stuttering and drops, Tried every possible tweak and launch option, edited CFG and all. didn't help that much.

atm i have : GTS 450, AMD phenom II x4 965 3.40 GHZ, 8 GB corsair ram.

Is it a good idea getting the GTX 650 OC from nvidia? compared the performances, it seems it's 45% better than my current graphics card. CPU seems fine to me?.

Any tips are welcome. If you have similar rig please post it ( if it can run at 25+ fps without drops )

try to get 760gtx (max fps for money atm)if nvidia is your preference, also an intel quadcore i5(max fps for money too) should be nice too, but(!!!) mostly multiplayer performance is made by poorly hosted server or poorly made missions.

If watching the same area in single player gives you good FPS, and you do not wish to play with higher graphic settings than you are currently, then it's really just your CPU that could be upgraded. But you may want to wait for a patch or 2 first to see what is changed in the game.

Basically, if you have stutters when loading objects/textures, RAMDISK (or SSD, though it's more expensive and much less effective) is your soultion.

If you have to lower your graphic settings to unacceptable levels to get acceptable FPS (and it actually works rather than keeping the same FPS even with lowering graphic settings), get a better graphics card.

If changing graphic settings has no effect in situations where you have the low FPS, and the FPS stay low even after all objects/textures in the scene are done loading, then you need a faster CPU (either faster clocks or more advanced type, but in any case not more cores, as those won't really help, so forget about those 6/8-core CPUs). Overclocking the CPU can help too, but you need an appropriate and good enough motherboard and of course a good cooler for your CPU.

In the end, you have to test in the situation that is giving you trouble what is actually having the effect - graphic settings (mostly depending on your GPU), or other factors (mostly CPU or HDD/RAM, and it's very easy to distinguish between them because one shows obvious loading of objects and textures).

If watching the same area in single player gives you good FPS, and you do not wish to play with higher graphic settings than you are currently, then it's really just your CPU that could be upgraded. But you may want to wait for a patch or 2 first to see what is changed in the game.

Basically, if you have stutters when loading objects/textures, RAMDISK (or SSD, though it's more expensive and much less effective) is your soultion.

If you have to lower your graphic settings to unacceptable levels to get acceptable FPS (and it actually works rather than keeping the same FPS even with lowering graphic settings), get a better graphics card.

If changing graphic settings has no effect in situations where you have the low FPS, and the FPS stay low even after all objects/textures in the scene are done loading, then you need a faster CPU (either faster clocks or more advanced type, but in any case not more cores, as those won't really help, so forget about those 6/8-core CPUs). Overclocking the CPU can help too, but you need an appropriate and good enough motherboard and of course a good cooler for your CPU.

In the end, you have to test in the situation that is giving you trouble what is actually having the effect - graphic settings (mostly depending on your GPU), or other factors (mostly CPU or HDD/RAM, and it's very easy to distinguish between them because one shows obvious loading of objects and textures).

^^this

shame though the 965 is a nice little chip, i built my son a rig last year with the 965, gtx660 , 8gb and a samsung SSD, he play BF3 on ultra with a 1200x800 20 inch monitor :) with an AVG of 45 FPS .

Hi

I need some advices how to upgrade my PC so it can run arma multiplayer 25+ fps ( with possibility that it never drops under 25 )

In singleplayer i can run on high with no problems. But in multiplayer it's around 17-21 fps, with stuttering and drops, Tried every possible tweak and launch option, edited CFG and all. didn't help that much.

atm i have : GTS 450, AMD phenom II x4 965 3.40 GHZ, 8 GB corsair ram.

Is it a good idea getting the GTX 650 OC from nvidia? compared the performances, it seems it's 45% better than my current graphics card. CPU seems fine to me?.

Any tips are welcome. If you have similar rig please post it ( if it can run at 25+ fps without drops )

don't waste your money for the MP aspect of this game

don't waste your money for the MP aspect of this game

This game only HAS a MP option. I don't see any single player mods worth playing. And it's always more fun to play online.

Thanks for all the replays, Think i'll go for a stronger Graphics card first and see how that goes. Getting one for 300 euro in a month.