Sign in to follow this  
jimos

Bennys warfare

Bennys mod is free to modify we know one of his friends

Apart from that... a few days after benny started up a test server with his mission (BECTI 0.9) I asked him if we can host it on our server and modify a few things if needed. He replied:" Yes, that's what it is for"

Okies I'm dipping out of this now.

One of my friends friends dogs wifes auntys friends neighbours husband is the Prime Minister!

benny should be, at least, named on download page/description for his work.

given what steam eula is ... i don't know! ask him first.

Edited by griffz

I don't think anyone here is saying that Benny doesn't allow people to modify Warfare BE. The point is that people are loading their modified versions of the mission to Steam workshop and not mentioning Benny or his team at all. It's just a bit fucked up to not at least make mission of the guy that did 99% of the work when you post it to the workshop.

Cheers

Once a mission hits a server people are free to take that mission and use it at their will, if the author of the mission expresses his wishes on who should have it or what can and can't be modified then it should be respected. There is no real copyright claim on something as far as a mission goes in ARMA and nothing can really be done about it but it should be frowned upon throughout the community, as far as mods go that is a different story, if you created the model or sound used in an addon you have every legal claim to it and BIS can't really say otherwise because you made that model / sound external of the game you only used the tools supplied by them to make it work for this game. The only thing BIS could say about you having no legal copyright claim is if you are violating the main terms of agreement which is creating something mainly for profit and making it a 'paid addon/mod'. Every mod/addon is to be free of cost but if someone is stealing your work (model/sound that you made and this excludes textures for BIS models and code/SQF) and claiming that they created it then you have a legal claim but lets face it you aren't going to spend money on pursuing stuff like that, the only thing you can do in reality is complain and cry about it and the community may agree with you and frown upon that person/community. All we have is frowning....

If someone didn't want their work to spread it can easily be locked off from a snatch and grab of the mission and have server-side specific key functions locked away on the server. Nothing wrong has been done nor has Benny himself came forward expressing how he feels. People claiming he said it's alright have no right to speak for him and the same thing applies vice versa. I'm sure if Benny himself did not want people hosting it or modifying it he would of said so on this forum or on his own forum topic.

And on the subject of publishing to Steam Workshop in honesty no mission should be published to the steam workshop unless it was authorized by the original mission creator. When something is published on the Steam Workshop you are giving rights towards Steam/Valve and if it isn't your own mission then you shouldn't be giving the rights away to something you didn't create, It's purely wrong and disgraceful and that it's self can be considered fraud.

Unless Benny comes and posts in this thread expressing his thoughts I think the subject should be dropped.

Looks like steam workshop is not always the best solution for mission files. Every time I play on a BECTI I never know if it is vanilla or custom, there's some big differences between servers.

Edited by Zehtuka

If benny quits also now, thanks to those ***** which abuse the steam workshop.

If people upload missions on the workshop without any permission of the creator, it will destroy the mod community.

A bunch of talented modders will quit and the rest will probably take money for their mods at least, thanks to all those ***** which are not able to follow the rules. :mad:

The RIGHT thing to do would be the person that uploaded it to STEAM workshop deletes it now. However you will find some people without such morals ^^.