Sign in to follow this  
USteppin

Intermittent 1-2 second freezing problem on Altis with dedicated server

Hi guys, I'm renting a dedicated server from GameServers.com, Specs: Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3 @ 3.4 Ghz, 32 GB RAM, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

We're currently running the "conqu3st" mission file on Altis. We are getting random 1 to 2 second intermittent complete lockups while in the game (player freezes, audio freezes). It's happening to all players at different times, not synchronized in anyway. This same exact mission file on Stratis is not causing any lockup problems.

Anyone else having this problem or have any suggestions as to what could be causing this? Thanks for any information.

Edited by USteppin

Same problems here on Altis with some mission, with other all ok..

In our case we got massive desync with players.. but none see that they are in desync cuz they are moving meanwhile all the rest is freeze...

I take a look using ASM and I see HC is working but server process is FREEZE... After 30-60 seconds desync go away, fps stable over 45 and after some minutes other desync for 1 minutes or so on...

We are looking to find what broke the sync

So you think it's possibly the mission file causing these freezes/lockups? All that's different between the two files is locations for spawns/vehicles. I've been doing all sorts of tests tonight but it keeps occurring only on Altis regardless of how many players are on the server. I'm gonna try setting up ASM to see if that can show me anything.

I'm very new to running servers and messing with missions for these games so I'm kind of clueless as to what is going on. Is there any kind of log file I can look at to see if something is throwing errors in the background?

you can take a look inside your server profile and search for rpt files but I think you wont find nothing there...

I think it's more an Altis problem rather than a mission problem...I can't explain why the very same mission works on Stratis or Koplic and it doesn't work on Altis...

1. don't use maxmem=XXX in your startline

2. make sure your swapfile is big enough or let OS increase the size automatically (enough drive space should be available)

3. step 2. is important, even if you have enough RAM!!!!

Let us know,

Fred41

Hi guys, I'm renting a dedicated server from GameServers.com, Specs: Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3 @ 3.4 Ghz, 32 GB RAM, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

We're currently running the "conqu3st" mission file on Altis. We are getting random 1 to 2 second intermittent complete lockups while in the game (player freezes, audio freezes). It's happening to all players at different times, not synchronized in anyway. This same exact mission file on Stratis is not causing any lockup problems.

Anyone else having this problem or have any suggestions as to what could be causing this? Thanks for any information.

Edited by Fred41

I've dont use maxmem options from some days, before release... OS ( 2012 ) swap is set automatically and there are 800 gb free... I've set 512 min and 16gb max...

Let's see if something changes

1. I'm using TADST to start the servers, looking through the config files it loads it doesn't look like it's using the "-maxmem" command anywhere

2. I haven't touched anything here and it's currently set to:

• "Automatically managed paging file size for all drives" is checked, everything else is grayed out
  • C:, 78309 MB available (single 120 GB SSD on server)
  • System managed size
  • Minimum allowed: 16 MB
  • Recommended: 49056 MB
  • Currently allocated: 32704 MB

Edited by USteppin

No luck guys!

We tried also to host a local server with the arma3server.exe and nothing changed.

We can't play a coop on Altis at all....

The strange things is that this is only with some missions!

My question is now... there's maybe some functions that are broken by Altis?! It's the only things that has sense...

I prefer wait some other test, this weekend me and Giallustio will gona try to remove bis function he used one by one and see if it's possibile to find which one is broken

Maybe it could be due to your Missions Scripts/Loops whatever.

Use Notepad++ or some Editor to "search all files in Folder" if its using any "nearestObjects"-checking Stuff.

Everytime, you trigger or loop this function, it possibly checks 270km² on Altis... Stratis was around..20km²?!

edit: ^ what he said

Just a guess but what about missions that use a function to search for house positions or locations to spawn stuff?

nearestObjects has a radius, so it won't be 270 km²...I was wondering if the BIS_fnc_findSafePos could be the problem...I've to test a bit

nearestObjects has a radius, so it won't be 270 km²...I was wondering if the BIS_fnc_findSafePos could be the problem...I've to test a bit

yes, if the Radius is set - of course ;)

It was just a suggestion!, as i have seen stuff, in other missions, that checks ALL ITEMS on ALL OVER the Map,... :butbut:

These 2 hits come up when searching "nearestObjects" in the unpacked mission directory. As I said in an earlier post, I have no idea what I'm doing =). So any explanation of what I'm looking at or ideas to try would be greatly appreciated.

..\altis conquest test\conqu3st.Altis - Copy\scripts\player\transportCheck.sqf (1 hit)
Line 22:             waitUntil {_target = (nearestObjects [_vehicle, g_transport_transportable, g_transport_distance_cap * g_transport_forgiveness_multiplier]) select 0; !isNil "_target"};

..\altis conquest test\conqu3st.Altis - Copy\scripts\removeItems.sqf (1 hit)
Line 9:     _itemsToClear = nearestObjects [_obj,["weaponholder"],_rad];

Ok...After some test i can say that the nearestObjects is broken. Not completely broken, but if you use it with an high radius the game freezes...

Adding details:

1000m of radius takes few seconds to be executed, in the meanwhile the game freezes

5000m of radius takes about 10 seconds

20000m about 1 minute

Edited by Giallustio

Ok...After some test i can say that the nearestObjects is broken. Not completely broken, but if you use it with an high radius the game freezes...

Adding details:

1000m of radius takes few seconds to be executed, in the meanwhile the game freezes

5000m of radius takes about 10 seconds

20000m about 1 minute

:yay: hope bis will fix this... the same script and radius works in stratis, also a 1000 radius ... that's a problem!

Anything I can modify in the 2 lines I pasted earlier? Where would I put radius numbers? I'm not using the whole map for Altis, just a small ~4500 meter playing area.

We got the freezing to stop by changing the radius from 4,000 to 250, no idea what it does but items still seem to disappear correctly.

But the game still runs like complete garbage when we approach 30 players on Altis.. with our server specs it should be more then capable, I don't understand.

this is a problem across a lot of servers. It's got to be an engine issue not a server config issue, we cant all be wrong with our configs