rip31st

31st Normandy Mod: World War II for ArmA3

Is there going to be any prison camps or stalags to make Hogan's Heroes style scenarios in the maps? Btw really looking forward to this mod you guys do great work :D

9 hours ago, Sn1perFodder said:

Is there going to be any prison camps or stalags to make Hogan's Heroes style scenarios in the maps? Btw really looking forward to this mod you guys do great work :D

There were tons of internment camps.  I suppose they can be added barring any community objections.  Something to be discussed considering the sensitivity of the topic.

• Like 1

I agree that it is a very sensitive topic.

the camps were a symbol of our darkest time and worst idea's of man.

But adding them would add to the realism and setting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [40-1] Shadow said:

I agree that it is a very sensitive topic.

the camps were a symbol of our darkest time and worst idea's of man.

But adding them would add to the realism and setting.

That said, I need a lot of input before I even plan something like this.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rip31st said:

That said, I need a lot of input before I even plan something like this.

I agree that a tapping the community for a consensus on such a sensitive topic would be a wise move.

As a start, how is this handled in other PC games?

Bear in mind that there were several types of camps

• detention/internment/POW: a prison, usually open-air but which often had running-water and electricity. Sometimes "unruly" prisoners would be deported to a concentration camp. Whereas "undersirables" were deported to extermination camps.
  • concentration: a prison, usually open-air but which lack both running-water and electricity. Sometimes they even lacked latrines.
  • extermination/death: a death camp where prisoners where deliberately worked, starved, shot or gassed to death

But the type of camp varied from country to country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_concentration_and_internment_camps

Also, is the map from this mod limited to northern France? Because AFAIK, France only had detention camps + 1 concentration camp
AFAIK the only extermination camps were in east Germany and Poland.

31 minutes ago, alex150201 said:

Why don't you do a poll?

Well I don't think it's as simple as a poll.  If that we're the case people would vote for swastikas and we found out in a prior release the hard way all of the legal ramifications associated with that initial decision.  We received cease and desist orders from the EU.  I'm not even sure if displaying any type of camp associated with The Nazi party is even legal.  

Also gotta consider the masses.  The mod for ArmA2 had a lot of downloads, not just on Armaholic.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rip31st said:

Well I don't think it's as simple as a poll.  If that we're the case people would vote for swastikas and we found out in a prior release the hard way all of the legal ramifications associated with that initial decision.  We received cease and desist orders from the EU.  I'm not even sure if displaying any type of camp associated with The Nazi party is even legal.  

Also gotta consider the masses.  The mod for ArmA2 had a lot of downloads, not just on Armaholic.  

Alright, gotcha, so we won't be seeing any nazi camps?

You cannot have swastikas? And what is the reason behind this? You can have them in games like Wolfenstein and nobody cares! You have them in movies,documentaries and everything. You portray history accurately or not at all - unless you are doing fiction. I may understand it wrong, delete my comment if so.

10 minutes ago, alex150201 said:

Alright, gotcha, so we won't be seeing any nazi camps?

No swastikas.  I don't know about the camps yet.

You should also consider beyond our release.  Go crazy with it.  Whatever you do privately with your own group on a private server, that's all on you.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Vojtechsonik said:

You cannot have swastikas? And what is the reason behind this? You can have them in games like Wolfenstein and nobody cares! You have them in movies,documentaries and everything. You portray history accurately or not at all - unless you are doing fiction. I may understand it wrong, delete my comment if so.

All games with swastikas are either completely banned in germany or get released without swastikas in germany. Wolfenstein in this case didn't get completely banned but if you play the german version there are no swastikas at all.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alex150201 said:

All games with swastikas are either completely banned in germany or get released without swastikas in germany. Wolfenstein in this case didn't get completely banned but if you play the german version there are no swastikas at all.

The man is right!  

Additionally they've got a ton of people working for those companies getting paid whereas I'm doing this for free with a small group of people which doesn't include lawyer's.

• Like 2

Just now, rip31st said:

The man is right!  

Additionally they've got a ton of people working for those companies getting paid whereas I'm doing this for free with a small group of people which don't include lawyer's.

PLUS I dont think you would make 2 versions, one being swastika free :D

Would a the swastika free version be compatible with someone that has the other version, for example would I be able to play with my friends over in germany?

11 minutes ago, alex150201 said:

PLUS I dont think you would make 2 versions, one being swastika free :D

Would a the swastika free version be compatible with someone that has the other version, for example would I be able to play with my friends over in germany?

Just one version.  If we did the only way it would work together is if battleye was disabled.

• Like 2

Just now, rip31st said:

Just one version.  If we did the only way it would work together is if battleye was disabled.

Yeah I didnt really except you to do a second version it would be pretty pointless but if it was done battleye would have to be disabled to play with some dude that has a different version?

36 minutes ago, alex150201 said:

Yeah I didnt really except you to do a second version it would be pretty pointless but if it was done battleye would have to be disabled to play with some dude that has a different version?

Battleye checks to see if the signature of each file matches.  For example if someone tried to join a server with battleye enabled, if the model(s) in question used a different texture for example one with a swastika and one without , battleye would detect the alteration and kick the player that had an altered file from the one stored on the server.

• Like 2

Battleye checks to see if the signature of each file matches.  For example if someone tried to join a server with battleye enabled, if the model(s) in question used a different texture for example one with a swastika and one without , battleye would detect the alteration and kick the player that had an altered file from the one stored on the server.

Sorry to keep asking these but I just got really curious about it and it sounds interesting, so let's say battleye is disabled the other player manages to join the server, would the textures be different for the players?

1 minute ago, alex150201 said:

Sorry to keep asking these but I just got really curious about it and it sounds interesting, so let's say battleye is disabled the other player manages to join the server, would the textures be different for the players?

Each player only sees what they have one their drive.  So if Joe has happy face on his tank, no matter what Frank has, Joe only sees the happy face.

• Like 2

Each player only sees what they have one their drive.  So if Joe has happy face on his tank, no matter what Frank has, Joe only sees the happy face.

Alright dude perfect explanation thank you! Sorry for going completely off topic, a moderator should hide these :)

1 minute ago, alex150201 said:

Alright dude perfect explanation thank you! Sorry for going completely off topic, a moderator should hide these :)

No worries.   It's relevant to why we're not using swastikas.   

• Like 2

I live in Germany and I personally don´t care about swastikas, but it´s law. I think the mod will work without these kind of symbols or POW camps. It is not lige every tank had a GIANT swastika on it.

Also, will the names of the german vehicles and soldiers be in German? Is the Medic called Sanitäter of the Rifleman Schütze, for example.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EHolz said:

I live in Germany and I personally don´t care about swastikas, but it´s law. I think the mod will work without these kind of symbols or POW camps. It is not lige every tank had a GIANT swastika on it.

Also, will the names of the german vehicles and soldiers be in German? Is the Medic called Sanitäter of the Rifleman Schütze, for example.

When you're able to select them pre-spawn from a menu yes.  After that, there won't be any labels visible. 

• Like 2

Okay this might sounds stupid but what if we kind of "invented" our own swastika? :D

It will not look like a swastika nor will be a called a swastika but it will be used where the swastika was used on, like vehicles for example :)

2 minutes ago, alex150201 said:

Okay this might sounds stupid but what if we kind of "invented" our own swastika? :D

It will not look like a swastika nor will be a called a swastika but it will be used where the swastika was used on, like vehicles for example :)

Iron cross solves that problem.

• Like 2