rip31st

31st Normandy Mod: World War II for ArmA3

This is an age old argument concerning this thread, it's been active a long time but a nun see's more action than this mod to be honest. The mod author has said it's still going but doesn't post updates showing screen shots or anything else as such. To me this mod is dead by all accounts and the topic should be deleted.

You are the ultimate authority, delete the thread per Stonebridge because he's a mod right.  Patience has no virtue.   I'll start a new one when I have progress to post.  Oh wait, here's some progress...  Terrain features are still in work.  More Buildings on a town scale are being built meaning the big cities are pretty much complete.  Were working on the smaller towns and small details with lots of vegetation and foliage.  It's a LOT of work as previously posted.  I guess you don't understand.  For those that have patience, they do.   There's multiplayer testing on terrain objects this coming week.  You won't be part of that.  There is a select group.

It's released when it's released.  We divuldge details when we see fit, not you.  Maybe a video soon, maybe not.  This is probably the biggest mod ever for this game engine.  If you want to wait, then you'll wait, otherwise, move along.  It's only been since 2008 we've been working on this.  What's a little more time for something big?

• Like 9

You are the ultimate authority, delete the thread per Stonebridge because he's a mod right.  Patience has no virtue.   I'll start a new one when I have progress to post.  Oh wait, here's some progress...  Terrain features are still in work.  More Buildings on a town scale are being built meaning the big cities are pretty much complete.  Were working on the smaller towns and small details with lots of vegetation and foliage.  It's a LOT of work as previously posted.  I guess you don't understand.  For those that have patience, they do.   There's multiplayer testing on terrain objects this coming week.  You won't be part of that.  There is a select group.

It's released when it's released.  We divuldge details when we see fit, not you.  Maybe a video soon, maybe not.  This is probably the biggest mod ever for this game engine.  If you want to wait, then you'll wait, otherwise, move along.  It's only been since 2008 we've been working on this.  What's a little more time for something big?

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know that you were actually continuing the project without posting progress. My bad on that and sorry for starting the "This mod is dead" thing. Also how big is the map? Is it more than 1600Km2 which right now is the biggest custom terrain for arma 3 I believe?

Someday someone will have to respect the forum rules and stop uselessly bumping topics by "hey guys you're dead ot what, i'm (self) entitled to decide what and when the modders should tell to the community" :icon_ohmygod:

Someday someone will have to respect the forum rules and stop uselessly bumping topics by "hey guys you're dead ot what, i'm (self) entitled to decide what and when the modders should tell to the community" :icon_ohmygod:

I said I'm sorry dude.

Well you are right but you should understand the other part as well. Some modders just disappear and never tell that their mod is canceled , postponed or whatever..  Of course it's not your fault but that creates a culture of people waiting for a mod forever and the modder don't bother informing people.

• Like 6

Well you are right but you should understand the other part as well. Some modders just disappear and never tell that their mod is canceled , postponed or whatever..  Of course it's not your fault but that creates a culture of people waiting for a mod forever and the modder don't bother informing people.

I also like what my mate nikiforos said. But I am still sorry for starting a rumor like that.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know that you were actually continuing the project without posting progress. My bad on that and sorry for starting the "This mod is dead" thing. Also how big is the map? Is it more than 1600Km2 which right now is the biggest custom terrain for arma 3 I believe?

That's only 40 km x 40 km.

Ours is 327.68km x 327.68km. If someone makes one bigger than that, good for them. It's not a contest. We're doing this to create a realistic feel for time, distance, and scale. You can take a C47 for a 45 minute flight across the channel. Radar can give you time to scramble fighters to intercept an incoming bomber run. There's plenty of ocean for ship's to have long range engagements. Etc,etc.

I would feel great sympathy for them considering how long it would take to populate it with objects. Hahaha we've been working on ours for ever now. I guess someone could do a barren desert and call it good to go.

Goodluck with that right! :)

• Like 4

I'm following this thread since the beginning, i assume that making such a big map take a lot of time, i hope to see some screenshots when possible.

Good job.

;)

• Like 1

That's only 40 km x 40 km.

Ours is 327.68km x 327.68km. If someone makes one bigger than that, good for them. It's not a contest. We're doing this to create a realistic feel for time, distance, and scale. You can take a C47 for a 45 minute flight across the channel. Radar can give you time to scramble fighters to intercept an incoming bomber run. There's plenty of ocean for ship's to have long range engagements. Etc,etc.

I would feel great sympathy for them considering how long it would take to populate it with objects. Hahaha we've been working on ours for ever now. I guess someone could do a barren desert and call it good to go.

Goodluck with that right! :)

Well yeah good luck with that. I am pretty sure this map will be giant jesus, 327.68km x 327.68km? Well, again sorry for starting that rumor I really feel bad now.

Hi Rip31st,

My name is Rob van Meel (Writer of the Airborne jeep book & Excelsior Welbike book)

As a historian I would like to help you on information of Divisions, regimets & Etc.

I don't want to brag but I know a lot about WW2 and my mum is the co-owner of the Airborne museum in Sainte Mère-Église.

It's impposible to learn about all units but if you need any help on info of the:

1st British Airborne division (1 2 & 3 PARA, KOSB, South Stafford, Border regiment, Royal Artillery, Royal Corps of Signals, 21st Independent Para coy. & the RAMC)

6th British Airborne division (1 2 & 3 PARA, Ox & Bucks Rifles, RAMC, RA, RcoS & 22nd Independent Para coy.)

British30 (XXX) Corps

Glider Pilot Regiment 

3rd Canadian Infantery Division (Queen's own Rifles)

US 101st Airborne Division (501, 502 & 506 PIR & 327th GIR)

US 82nd Airborne Divisiion (503, 504 505 507 & 508 PIR)

US 17th Airobnre Division

US 1st ID

US 4th ID

US 29th ID

US 2nd Ranger Battalion.

German SS 12th PZ div.

German WL 6th FJ Regt.

German WH 116  Pz Gren. Div.

German WH 21st WH Pz Div.

or special vehicles (mostly Airborne) Such as the Clark lightweight bulldozer or the Morris-Commercial C8/AT (which is in the garage next to my house

Just let me know

BR,

Rob

Hi Rob,

I'd be more than happy to contact you. Are you on Steam?

Hi Rip

I sent you a PM about the steam ID

BR Rob

PS I was wondeirng if the mod would include custom buildings like the church of Sainte Mère Église, Pegasus bridge, big ben, and Eiffel tower?

Hi Rip

I sent you a PM about the steam ID

BR Rob

PS I was wondeirng if the mod would include custom buildings like the church of Sainte Mère Église, Pegasus bridge, big ben, and Eiffel tower?

It does. Here's a shot

Eiffelcomp.jpg

• Like 6

I have been away from Arma for a while now, and only just started looking back into the mod discussion forums. This mod really does have the ingredients to be fantastic. I wish you all the trouble free coding you can get guys :)

You guys are really stretching the limits of the engine! :D Fantastic work!

How well does a huge map like that perform?

Performance is quite good. We create our terrain textures by BIS's standards. You'll need an upper end card as areas are dense with objects.

On the Eiffel, it's a giant stair case. Not sure if we're going to pursue installing lifts. Maybe.

Performance is quite good. We create our terrain textures by BIS's standards. You'll need an upper end card as areas are dense with objects.

Great! I remember reading that big maps tend to start suffering from coordinate errors and stuttering but if youre still maintaining playable performance that is superb!

If you have a big map with coordinate errors it's because the terrain grid wasn't calculated properly which will result in randomore crashes.

Glitches...big map...

I mean if you're experienced in making big maps then you already know what they are. If you don't use proper calculations for your terrain grid, then there's going to be all sorts of issues.

This map however loads quickly, has high FPS, and does not have any positioning issues you're describing. I am aware of what you're referring to. It happened a long long time ago when I first started building large maps so I avoid using those variables that cause that issue.

hello rip31st,

can you explain the part with proper calculations please? i am playing around with terrain builder and could create successfully small terrains with objects (tho still i want to learn more), but when i create 100km x 100km terrain, i have issues with low quality textures and freezing when placing AI in right upper corner of the map (must exit with task manager then). Can you please explain what terrain grid etc. you uses?

another question: how many objects do your map currently uses?

You should check the A3 terrain editing section of this forum for your answers. Tutorials there will explain and guide you through the process of setting up a map properly.

This mod seems like a huge undertaking. Its awesome to see that the team is still working hard after the years put into it. I cannot wait to see the finished product! You guys will definitely make waves in the Arma community once this is released :)

Keep up the hard work! :D

It is. Patience is a virtue! When we released in the past it was a big hit.