rip31st

31st Normandy Mod: World War II for ArmA3

Hey, I would love to offer help in the details stage. I am pretty good at making cities and the like look good due to my RTS mapping days. If you want me to help when you get to that point, then point me to a tut and I will be ready when you get there.

I am also a programmer, so I can probably help with code as well.

I wonder if I would be able to see my house too! Looks awesome just hope i can run it XD

Man if you can pull off that English channel map, countless possibilities await us. Not only D-Day but also the Battle of Britain could be reenacted :D Such a map is my dream!

Just to let you guys know, that Altis is 274.6 km squared, with this map being 153.6 km x 153.6 km this map will be in theory around about 23592.96km squared... I don't know about you but this map is going to be so big it'll take a few weeks to walk from one side to the next.

Just to let you guys know, that Altis is 274.6 km squared, with this map being 153.6 km x 153.6 km this map will be in theory around about 23592.96km squared... I don't know about you but this map is going to be so big it'll take a few weeks to walk from one side to the next.

Honestly, i wouldnt mind :D It just creates endless scenario possibilities and being able to play in such a WWII map would me alot to me.

I think the elephant in the thread, which is avoided since we know addonmakers should receive encouragement for spending their time on creating things for us, is whether it is feasible. That's what I'm curious to hear about - how to tackle the project. How economical will the map making be, in terms of using large forests without internal detail, long stretches of road and stylized towns to span the least 'important' areas in between more detailed, valuable and gameplay-intensive areas? The earliest relevant Google Earth maps, by way of aerial photography, offer only small hints at how to recreate the French and British countryside, making research on its own a fairly formidable task depending on where one wants to build detailed, true to history towns.

I guess that's my question towards the makers. How are you going to solve this practically?

I don't mean to be a daisy downer but is the size of the map even possible?

Sure it is 'possible' to create but the cell size would be so huge that there would be little to no detail

Also, the heightmap and sat mask alone would be in the 10's of gigs. This map fully done would be a 50 gig download alone.

The largest map i have seen is 51x51km, it was a 2 gig download and it had no objects. Also unless bohemia changes the way maps are loaded it would absolutely kill 99% of all computers with lag

Sure it is 'possible' to create but the cell size would be so huge that there would be little to no detail

Also, the heightmap and sat mask alone would be in the 10's of gigs. This map fully done would be a 50 gig download alone.

The largest map i have seen is 51x51km, it was a 2 gig download and it had no objects. Also unless bohemia changes the way maps are loaded it would absolutely kill 99% of all computers with lag

I'll believe that is possible when I test it in my PC, and check how affects my computer's performance. Until then it's just speculation.

A map should never be rated on its size alone - it's all about environment design, usage of a small cell size grid to cultivate the landscape for a more realistic, varied look on in-game terrains.

I' prefer a small small with lots of amazing detail for various gameplay types (infantry / air / armor / stealth / night ops / etc). Altis is a pretty good example, though BIS had done better with chernarus.

A map should never be rated on its size alone - it's all about environment design, usage of a small cell size grid to cultivate the landscape for a more realistic, varied look on in-game terrains.

I' prefer a small small with lots of amazing detail for various gameplay types (infantry / air / armor / stealth / night ops / etc). Altis is a pretty good example, though BIS had done better with chernarus.

From a pilot's perspective, size is a big deal and cannot be made up for by nice details that won't see from the air anyway. The smaller the map, the more aircraft are rendered pointless.

Of course, it isn't all about pilots, but an absolute gigantic part of making gameplay work for aircraft is map size.

I'd just like to note that this map has been in-game since ArmA 1, though it's been revised many times I think. It's very definitely possible.

Have you considered just doing the Map and map objects? Looking at the size of the map you want that is a lot of work combined with wanting to do vehicles and inf and so forth that is a mammoth task.

Would you be open to releasing the map alone for use in something like I44 when it gets released for A3?

Penguin, this is a mod that's been in the works for at least 6 years, since June of 2008 I believe. It was worked on for Armed Assault, ArmA II/OA, and now ArmA 3. They don't want to do infantry and vehicles and aircraft, they have already done them, or a large amount of them. No need to worry, Rip knows what he's doing.

:)

This is beast. I need some more WW2 in my belly!

Will it feature any AT guns and AA guns? Something that's been missing for almost any WW2 Mod.

I can't believe i just now came across this thread. What really hit my attention is the map size. As an Arma 3 pilot myself, the skies over this map will be amazing. Keep up the great work! ;)

Such a map is indeed possible. there is a map out for arma 2 which is 201km x 201km which is about 40000 square km. the map was hundreds of MB big, not even one gigabyte and the map runned very smooth. no lag or anything and that for arma 2. arma 3 has a better system and a improved engine. the only question is: if terrain builder/buldozer has any limit in terms of object placement. in arma 2 the max object numbers on terrain was 5 million.

I believe the object numbers have increased a few million in Arma 3, someone mentioned to me awhile back. Also, i played on a map called DBO Afghanistan in one of my YouTube videos showing off the capabilities of the To-199 Neophran. That map is big. HELLA big. I mean it takes 5-9 minutes to fly across, full speed in a A-143 Buzzard. It has millions of trees and rocks and tons of mountains, with even a few towns. Not very well set up towns, but its like... in Alpha. No lag. If you want to see, take a look at my CAS mission on YouTube. So yes, a MASSIVE map with tons of objects is possible to be played smoothly. I mean come on, i get like 60+ frames on my Laptop with full visibility on some very nicely optimized servers. This Normandy map is sure to be a Dawn breaker of the sorts.

I believe the object numbers have increased a few million in Arma 3, someone mentioned to me awhile back. Also, i played on a map called DBO Afghanistan in one of my YouTube videos showing off the capabilities of the To-199 Neophran. That map is big. HELLA big. I mean it takes 5-9 minutes to fly across, full speed in a A-143 Buzzard. It has millions of trees and rocks and tons of mountains, with even a few towns. Not very well set up towns, but its like... in Alpha. No lag. If you want to see, take a look at my CAS mission on YouTube. So yes, a MASSIVE map with tons of objects is possible to be played smoothly. I mean come on, i get like 60+ frames on my Laptop with full visibility on some very nicely optimized servers. This Normandy map is sure to be a Dawn breaker of the sorts.

do you know the exact number of how much the object numbers has been increased? because such a huge map would require more than 10 million objects (of course only if you want detailed towns, huge forests etc)

I would surely like to know how it's coming along, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

So since my last update there was a bit of a problem with the new terrainbuilder updates which did not include support for the terrain grid I was using, at least not using the variables and parameters I had planned on. I did find help via Bushlurker! Big thanks to him and figured out what will work. The map is now nearly 1:1 scale. I'm currently importing every existing roadway and rail feature that existed during WW2 into the map. Not sure how the game engine will react, 1/2 way done, so far, so good but I'll keep you posted. Flyboys will love this map.

Amazing news man! Could you reply to the private message i sent you when you get the time?

Excellent news mate.

Nice to hear that. I hope we will see you in Mod contest;)