rip31st

31st Normandy Mod: World War II for ArmA3

Our mod has had 8 community members that have contributed off and on significantly. There are two of us work constantly on it, nearly any free time we get. We feed models occasionally to our texture artist whom at times works a lot on our mod. We get a lot of volunteer work from individuals and donations from other mods. We have a large catalog of models.

We've had our sounds professionally mixed before. But we could use some more help with our new sounds. I'll contact you at some point battle. Thanks!

I'll put together some screen shots or a video soon.

Great! I finally got my hands on TL Space and Altiverb which can emulate the sound of any space/enviroment.

The possibilities are endless because with those programs you can design and build 3D reverbs/echoes of any building, forest, bunker etc...

I can also record ambient sounds for summer/winter maps if needed.

Great! I finally got my hands on TL Space and Altiverb which can emulate the sound of any space/enviroment.

The possibilities are endless because with those programs you can design and build 3D reverbs/echoes of any building, forest, bunker etc...

I can also record ambient sounds for summer/winter maps if needed.

Very cool! Look for a pm soon.

Working on the seawall near Omaha beach. Before we just used a generic seawall for everything, pretty much anywhere there was a seawall we pasted default objects from the BIS library and lined them up to make a seawall. Made for some strange issues. Players getting stuck on stairs, clipping, stuck in place between objects. In an attempt to improve the overall immersive feeling of the mod, were getting away from using those objects and modeling as many as possible to make them look as real to life as we possible can and to cut back on the bugs.

Here's just one example of what to expect:

shingles3_zps1ffc0140.jpg

Most shingle rocks prior to D-Day were pushed up near the base of the seawall from what we've found. We plan on adding more objects such as debris to it. If you can find more images of the shingle style rocks near Omaha beach and your interested in helping out, just let us know.

I am extremely interested in this. I am not familiar with your Arma 2 version. Is this mainly scripted WWII missions you take part in? Is this multiplayer? Like are you going to simulate the landings, moving armor and supplies inland? The counterattacks by the germans? The pre-dawn air drops and artillery fire? Aircraft and AAA fire etc?

I am extremely interested in this. I am not familiar with your Arma 2 version. Is this mainly scripted WWII missions you take part in? Is this multiplayer? Like are you going to simulate the landings, moving armor and supplies inland? The counterattacks by the germans? The pre-dawn air drops and artillery fire? Aircraft and AAA fire etc?

The concept behind this large of a map is to provide a more realistic scale. It's half scale to real life. The possibilities are vast. Multiplayer is primarily the first priority. There are several missions that were created for the previous releases for this mod. They include several variations of Warfare, & Domination. There are D-Day landing missions, missions to capture objectives, paratrooper missions, anti aircraft missions, bombing runs, etc.

There are missions that have a lot to do with places of significant interest that were made popular during WW2.

Users will get the chance to create their own as well. In addition we will be providing a theater wide multiplayer scenario.

So if it is a huge scale it is like setting the table for the war and then see how we the outcome would be. Are there going to be ships or landing craft to spawn at? Like I think it would be cool that people could use all that room to do what they want but realistically nobody is going to man the beaches if they can take a plane and paradrop behind the lines. I think there has to be some sort of battlefield objectives before more gear is handed out / spawned and before the allies can spawn on the main land. Like there has to be a successful beach landing and capture of key points before they can spawn on the beach etc. The Germans should have the ability to try and counter attack and push the allies back off the beach. Sort of a chain of progressions inland, that way there are hot zones etc.

This doesn't mean pilots can't still bomb targets at the rear etc and infantry being dropped behind enemy lines etc, but the objective to continue the story should be to advance and capture key points that can be retaken. But the beach will have to be held and not cut off for supply to continue.

Well, lets see who finishes their mod first, this (which I am excited for because of the English Channel map) or I44 for Arma 3 which released a pretty good looking picture of American troops in Stratis with the new lighting and looks. Both could be equally enjoyable! :bounce3:

So if it is a huge scale it is like setting the table for the war and then see how we the outcome would be. Are there going to be ships or landing craft to spawn at? Like I think it would be cool that people could use all that room to do what they want but realistically nobody is going to man the beaches if they can take a plane and paradrop behind the lines. I think there has to be some sort of battlefield objectives before more gear is handed out / spawned and before the allies can spawn on the main land. Like there has to be a successful beach landing and capture of key points before they can spawn on the beach etc. The Germans should have the ability to try and counter attack and push the allies back off the beach. Sort of a chain of progressions inland, that way there are hot zones etc.

This doesn't mean pilots can't still bomb targets at the rear etc and infantry being dropped behind enemy lines etc, but the objective to continue the story should be to advance and capture key points that can be retaken. But the beach will have to be held and not cut off for supply to continue.

The type of mission were providing...

Yes it is large scale. Yes, there is a naval component to this mod, a third or more of the map is water. There is a frontal line of capturable towns. This focuses the attention to those key points so players aren't scattered. There are side objectives which are capturable/destroyable/repairable as well, in addition to capturing key points and objectives, logistics, strategy, and time come into play. Bombing targets or destroying a certain feature depending on it's value could significantly decrease your opponents ability to supply themselves, detect enemy ground units, naval units, or aircraft, or how quickly they are supplied equipment, or make repairs to facilities that have been damaged. Also players willing to sacrifice combat for making repairs or moving equipment could help their side increase production. Racking up K's only doesn't earn you the next rank or access to newer equipment.

Overall teamwork of one side or the other is what will win the campaign.

Stats to be kept real time via exportation of game data and presented in neat form to a web server where you can track all your kills, rank, etc, and see how your side is doing. App available if I get extra time.

Interested in helping dev this mission, and components, pm.

Sounds impressive. And ambitious! I hope you can pull it off at least in some form. :) BIS seriously needs to increase the player count on a single server for this!

Yes very interesting.

I'm hoping there is a support / engineering aspect of it. Would be cool if you could blow bridges and then you'd need engineers to rebuild them or deploy mobile bridges or repair them etc. Would even be more fun if we could shoot some of the big guns on the destroyers/battleship long range :) :) :)

I was hoping that destroying these objectives such as a bridge would delay respawn time of their armor and equipment. This will be hard to balance.

I guess I could imagine a mission pop up like "Secure this bridge" and the only two ways we could do this would be to load into a DC3 and paratroop in as a group, with air support, or if we secured the beach already and would try and roll in with armor. (Market Garden anyone?)

The idea of making it mission based will focus people towards those objectives. The thing is at the end of the objective there needs to be rewards of some kind for everyone and a penalty for everyone. That makes it ideal to want to participate in those objectives.

Yes very interesting.

I'm hoping there is a support / engineering aspect of it. Would be cool if you could blow bridges and then you'd need engineers to rebuild them or deploy mobile bridges or repair them etc. Would even be more fun if we could shoot some of the big guns on the destroyers/battleship long range :) :) :)

I was hoping that destroying these objectives such as a bridge would delay respawn time of their armor and equipment. This will be hard to balance.

I guess I could imagine a mission pop up like "Secure this bridge" and the only two ways we could do this would be to load into a DC3 and paratroop in as a group, with air support, or if we secured the beach already and would try and roll in with armor. (Market Garden anyone?)

The idea of making it mission based will focus people towards those objectives. The thing is at the end of the objective there needs to be rewards of some kind for everyone and a penalty for everyone. That makes it ideal to want to participate in those objectives.

Sounds right up your alley. If you'd like to give us more specific input, then just send me a pm.

I sent you a message.

I found this site to be interesting. It could at least give a good map as to the progression of how the battles should take place in which order and how they could be scripted on both sides.

http://www.dday-overlord.com/eng/day_after_day.htm

Got it! Thanks for the link!

I think I sent this your way a very long time ago over MSN, but that was one or two computers ago, so I can't be sure.

A great link for music from the era is: http://www.6thcorpsmusic.us/

Oh hiya dark!

Yes, still have the link actually after all this time! Are you aware of any sites with all the German marches by chance? Send me a pm. I'm on steam as well.

Here you have the classical ones ( You have the names in details ):

( my fav: Yorckscher Marsch )

This video is from the actual Wachbataillon but they keep the prussian traditional march:

Edited by MistyRonin

Very cool! Thanks!

http://www.britannica.com/dday/browse?browseId=237176

Awesome reference and shows you the equipment used in Normandy as well as all the major offensives and battles.

This is a good map to help you place the fixed artillery units that'll need to be bombarded ahead of the invasion.

http://members.shaw.ca/junobeach/images/juno-3%20D-Day%20Overlord.jpg

Very good! This gives us a great idea what to research and model into the scenario. Thanks!

We held some great ARMA 2 WW2 nights at RG using both available mods. Would be happy to do any testing or promo's when you have something to showcase :)

We held some great ARMA 2 WW2 nights at RG using both available mods. Would be happy to do any testing or promo's when you have something to showcase :)

When we have the classes set...I will let you know!

great to hear something new from you Rip! i already played your mod in arma 1, had a lot of fun with the mod and especially the huge map. i believe the map was even bigger than altis ;) although people say altis is the biggest map in the arma series so far.

i wish you a lot of success for arma 3! :)

Thanks Tobie! Yes the map has always been the largest. Not sure why it doesn't exist outside of this thread!