Sign in to follow this  
species1571

75% off on Steam today

Just a heads up to anybody thinking about buying, Steam have the game on today's daily deal for 75% off (£4.99 in UK) until tomorrow.

As a huge fan of the original game, I am sorry to ask this, but is it actually worth the time and money to buy and play? If the walruses are essentially unusable, it's a huge problem, assuming the game works much the same way as the original game. I'm not sure how serious the other problems are, but I'd bet I'm not the only person with fond memories of the original wondering whether this game is just going to be a disappointment, even at £5.

It will all depend how you want to play. Walruses aren't unusable, but if you send them into a hostile area while enemy units are still around then they will be more vulnerable than mantas, so you have to use them strategically as part of your fleet. Personally I do most combat with mantas and then send walruses in to do hacking once the way has been cleared.

Well... my memories of playing the original were of trying to use both the walruses and mantas. To be honest, the game was a bit beyond me at the age I was, so I was never very successful (I never won the game, which may be one reason I'm still so interested now). Only being able to really use one set of ROVs seems like half the game's missing.

I guess I'll hold off until I see that the major bugs have been squashed before I buy the game. I really don't want to buy a game that's not properly functional, even if it is quite cheap.

To the devs: if this game gets patched up then I will buy it. And if I enjoy playing it, then I'll recommend it to others. But right now I'm very reluctant to part with either the cash or the time, and a Steam sale doesn't really change that.

As I say, walruses are not unusable. You can take them into battle, but you need to watch what they are doing, and it's better if you do it with units together. You especially need to be careful on the higher rated islands. This was the case in the original game too. The original was a lot easier in comparison.

Your vehicles are basically remotely controlled units. You control them by yourself from your commander chair. They have simple serviceable robotic AI able to navigate the simpler terrain, shoot clear targets or fire back at attackers. But they won't win battles for you, or go climb the Everest while you have a nap. You have to win the combats by controlling them. You have to negotiate the complex terrain by driving them.

This is not Command and Conquer or Starcraft RTS game, where you select all your units and send them to the enemy base and they win, while you are looking elsewhere.

The main point of the original was to be a game about fighting a war by controlling vehicles remotely. And the main point of this one is the same.

Well... my memories of playing the original were of trying to use both the walruses and mantas. To be honest, the game was a bit beyond me at the age I was, so I was never very successful (I never won the game, which may be one reason I'm still so interested now). Only being able to really use one set of ROVs seems like half the game's missing.

I guess I'll hold off until I see that the major bugs have been squashed before I buy the game. I really don't want to buy a game that's not properly functional, even if it is quite cheap.

To the devs: if this game gets patched up then I will buy it. And if I enjoy playing it, then I'll recommend it to others. But right now I'm very reluctant to part with either the cash or the time, and a Steam sale doesn't really change that.

Whilst I would say that graphics and sound realism has improved dramatically since the original, my personal opinion is that if you liked everything about the original, you would be disappointed by this game.

The original was very imaginative and well thought out, and gave the illusion of realism from being so well written (i'm talking about the game engine itself) for it's time. This game has been released before it is truly ready, is full of bugs and short cuts that solve problems but make themselves noticeable, and with a seemingly lack of interest in putting it right by the BI developers compared to the community, some of which have fixed bugs in a very small amount of time that BI have still not fixed themselves after the release of 6 patches (for example, the bug that makes the carrier jump direction when switching from manual to autopilot), I'm not holding my breath that this game will ever be how I hoped it would be. I'd say even though it's not worth the full price, it's probably worth the discount price if you can pick it up super cheap.

That being said, mods like deadlyislands makes the game much more enjoyable, and once you've got used to playing the game itself, this mod is a must have.

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

Your vehicles are basically remotely controlled units. You control them by yourself from your commander chair. They have simple serviceable robotic AI able to navigate the simpler terrain, shoot clear targets or fire back at attackers. But they won't win battles for you, or go climb the Everest while you have a nap. You have to win the combats by controlling them. You have to negotiate the complex terrain by driving them.

This is not Command and Conquer or Starcraft RTS game, where you select all your units and send them to the enemy base and they win, while you are looking elsewhere.

The main point of the original was to be a game about fighting a war by controlling vehicles remotely. And the main point of this one is the same.

I agree this is the case, but I feel the need to point out that this game was actually advertised as being completely playable from the tactical view if the player should wish it :P

As I say, walruses are not unusable. You can take them into battle, but you need to watch what they are doing, and it's better if you do it with units together. You especially need to be careful on the higher rated islands. This was the case in the original game too. The original was a lot easier in comparison.
You had to be careful with your units in the original game. Which was my problem as an eleven-(or so)year-old. I got way too into flying those mantas around, adding my own sound-effects and all those other things you do when you're eleven years old and playing a game that's overstimulating your imagination. It's probably fair to say that I had way too much fun playing the game to be bothered about winning it.
[snip]
I'm aware of the premise of the game. Particularly, I'm very well aware that the premise includes Walruses that are capable of functioning as combat units.
Whilst I would say that graphics and sound realism has improved dramatically since the original, my personal opinion is that if you liked everything about the original, you would be disappointed by this game.
I am very sad to hear that. I'm also aware that the original game almost certainly has a rose-tinted glow from my childhood memories, which tends to give anything a tough challenge to live up to.
a seemingly lack of interest in putting it right by the BI developers compared to the community, some of which have fixed bugs in a very small amount of time that BI have still not fixed themselves after the release of 6 patches (for example, the bug that makes the carrier jump direction when switching from manual to autopilot), I'm not holding my breath that this game will ever be how I hoped it would be. I'd say even though it's not worth the full price, it's probably worth the discount price if you can pick it up super cheap.

That being said, mods like deadlyislands makes the game much more enjoyable, and once you've got used to playing the game itself, this mod is a must have.

I'm not averse to using mods, but I get a little grumpy about being forced to use mods just to make the base game function as designed.

I guess I'll have a quick look at this mod while there's still a couple of hours left on the sale. Otherwise, I'll wait until next time it's on sale, come back and see if there have been any patches.

Thanks for the feedback and the discussion. I certainly wouldn't have bought it without your feedback, and now I... might buy it.

Edit: Hmm. I made the purchase. I'm blaming you guys if I regret it. :p

Edited by Vacuity

Edit: Hmm. I made the purchase. I'm blaming you guys if I regret it. :p

Welcome to the purgatory of being a Carrier Command player. :D

Bought the game the other day on the Steam Sale and was so excited to try it.

I couldn't play the original on my Spectrum 48K +, a fact I only discovered after buying the game from the "Brittania Games Club", those were the days!

For £5 its a total steal and I've loved what I've seen so far.