Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie P

A noob's first day....

Hello guys,

First off, I never played the pervious Arma's, just this one's Beta. And today the final release. I was on the dev-branch thingy on Steam for a few days, so today I only had a small download to go through.

First thing I checked, tooltips in the editor or perhaps even a tutorial? Nope, nada.

Then I joined a MP-server, I spawned at an airfield and there was a guy pushing a helo with a Hemmet. He just rode up to the nose of the helo and pushed it a bit further. Then he got in and was waiting for guys to get in.

So I did, in the co-pilot seat. I saw the guy looking at me, as if I was a dooffus..probably am, too.

Then he took off, and some guy in the back typed about wanting to be dropped off somewhere. There we went, I got out with the rest and they ran away. I saw some guys in the village, fired and lost 10 points..:(

I wandered about a bit, not having a damned clue what to do next. So I get to a road, there is an APC waiting. No one around. There comes Mr HeloPilot....he lands a bit further up the road, I get in. Then he hovers over the APC and he LIFTS IT AS UNDERSLUNG CARGO!

Now, for you veterans this might be nothing special but this gave me triple nerdgasms...I used to be a landing point commander in the Dutch army and by gods, the guy was doing honest to god airmobile operations!

Next server: an open pilot slot! Yay! I have been playing DCS: Black Shark 2 a while, and when I got Arma 3 Beta, I immediately started training as a pilot. You know, editor, setting up the stick, pop in a Little Bird and zoom around. Land at that hill, or in that compound, or do not exceed 50 metres altitude, watch YouTube guys like Dyslecxi, the works.

So, open slot as a pilot, mind still on airmobile ops..I was going to fly everyone to anywhere! Unfortunately, on the airbase, some neck-beard had damaged all 2 helos on the flight line, so I could not get airborne. :(

Then I got killed by someone as I tried to find something like a repairvehicle or something..

So, bearing in mind that I am on morphine-painkillers (issues with a herniated disc), and just stoned out of my mind on that, what a great experience to see the pilot lift the APC!

For now,I have set myself 3 goals...

1- be the best pilot I can

2- learn the editor

3- find a decent server without neck-beards that damage helos on the flight line.

Anyhow, I hope things with the no-women-civvies and the other issues work out for everyone, and if you ever see a lone guy wandering about looking clueless, come down and give me a lift..you just might make my day!

Cheers,

Ronnie.

For now,I have set myself 3 goals...

1- be the best pilot I can

2- learn the editor

3- find a decent server without neck-beards that damage helos on the flight line.

1 & 2 go hand in hand, have a few days in the Editor flying or doing anything that you want, it’s a great way to learn the ropes without being disturbed. Then once that’s done go in-game online and show off your skills.

Finding a good group to play the game with will make a huge difference.

Good luck with it and welcome..:)

Hi Ronnie,

for "enhancing" your game experience, I would recommend you to play with a couple of friends and/or join a group.

Here is a List of some ArmA Groups

On a personal note, I try to stay away from public servers mainly because it simply doesn't give me the tactical deepness that I want from ArmA.

Seeing someone getting positive surprises out of this release is a nice change.

I hope you´ll find the group that likes the same playstyle as you rather soonish :)

I second that, find a group and start really enjoy the Arma experience, because that really starts when its a closed server without the Kiddies. Post a thread in the looking for clan thread, perhaps look for an international group or perhaps your age group. what ever you feel like.

Have fun

Our server is open and friendly for newcomers, we play lot of domi and other missions where loss of one helo isnt so bad and people need ar transport/support all the time, so if your ping is good, feel free to join in!

Server is located in Germany and you can find it typing FTB on filter. (Finnish Tank Battalion)

..oh, and to mention.. lot of 30+ people of age playing there ;)

As a newb, how do you managed to learn the keys and how the game works?

Got a read on the Field Manual?

(goes to every newcomer out there)

After a decade of Arma it became second nature, so I don't know how is to be lost in the game.

Most times.

You might want to look at and follow the development of the Tactical Battlefield mod. Its a PvP mod being made for ARMA3 which is somewhat similar to the battlefield game series with some extra game modes and it has a logistics system for transporting vehicles and Forward Outpost around the map. It is however a public pvp mod so no guarantee that when its released you wont find some trolls doing dumb stuff but my past experience with a similar mod have been very good and if administered well trolling will be minimal.

Check out the forum post about TacBF http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?163550-Tactical-Battlefield-A-PvP-Gameplay-Modification

Hi Ronnie,

for "enhancing" your game experience, I would recommend you to play with a couple of friends and/or join a group.

Here is a List of some ArmA Groups

On a personal note, I try to stay away from public servers mainly because it simply doesn't give me the tactical deepness that I want from ArmA.

Yeah, this is key. Also, there technically aren't tutorials, but the Showcase missions serve as a pretty good starting point.

Add me on Steam, "Heapes," and I'd be happy to play around with you, show you the ropes, make a simple mission for you to practice flying on (just flying around, landing and taking off, having to navigate over and over is the key to learning). I play with a couple other friends, and I'm happy to be as casual or simmy as you want to be. And of course always happy to help newcomers figure things out.

Ronnie! If you're looking for a small group of new players to play arma 3 with I have a group of 5. We play a few times a week normally around 7 pm central time until like 10 pm. Been a blast so far since we have no real preconceptions about how arma 2 was played.

Have to vouch for joining a community. Arma seemed so small with very little to do before I joined, after that though it opened up a whole set of new things. Even got into editing because of it.