Sign in to follow this  
RogerDodger

No Women=Disturbing

This might have worked in Arma 2 but in Arma 3 with removed uniform the model would look ridiculous.

You haven't seen any of my former army female mates... I had even a sergeant that was like a closet ( she used to be a VIP bodyguard ) :rolleyes:

There is no balancing patches.

Indeed, but that's because ArmA doesn't really need balancing. There's one nice thing about making a sim: instead of fine-tuning game balance, you can plug in real values and call it a day. RL isn't fair, either. In such games, any balancing is entirely up to the mission designer.

WTF is this all about. You actually WANT to see women in the game getting killed. Most people are happy to play FPS games knowing its a generic soldier however putting women ingame I think removes this and makes it that much more real.

Just play the game as it is - there's already enough killing going around.

WTF is this all about. You actually WANT to see women in the game getting killed. Most people are happy to play FPS games knowing its a generic soldier however putting women ingame I think removes this and makes it that much more real.

That's the only use you can find for female civs??Try having some creativity in your mission design,not everything goes down to "zomg woman spotted shoot her with a hmg".

Well looked that way...

To me as long as the killings keep in the digital form, IMHO it would add more realism. As far as I know even in Iran's army there are women,

Exactly, people aren't being killed for real, it's nothing but a bunch of polygons representing as an avatar. Besides, what makes women so special in this case? Why is killing a male character less noteworthy of violence, and for that matter why even play a war game if you was concerned with people getting killed?

When it comes to soldiers in simulators the only thoughts that should be going through your mind are...is it wearing a friendly uniform and should I kill it. Gender means nothing, or it should.

Do I want to see women getting killed? Sure if they are on the opposing faction, because its just player vs player or player vs AI. I'm not killing a mother, a daughter, a sister or neice, I'm "killing" an avatar in cyberspace.

Am I the only one who remember this early screenshot?

a3bikini.jpg

No doubt they have been experimenting with it and female characters will most likely be added later on along with the campaign and all that other obvious stuff that are still missing as well. Clearly their focus has been on the base male body, along with all the awesome gear and customizations that fits it. If we're lucky, BIS could have temporarily cut out females because they might be planning on adding something of a gear/customization-system for them as well, which would mean they're being completely overhauled instead of just added as complete character meshes as before.

Stop hating man, more is coming!

For me, this whole thing is only a sign that, despite what BI claims, ArmA III is still in late Alpha. Placeholders all over the place, no campaign, limited assets... In proper terminology, that's still Alpha stage, Beta being a feature-complete, untested version and Release being a 90% bug free, feature-complete version. That said, ArmA III seems to be using a MMO-style update/expansion system, with patches being used to balance and expand the game "on the fly". Perhaps that's the future of gaming, the old terminology would mean nothing in that case.

I think that those lousy placeholders will soon be replaced with proper models, including females with proper, full support (the new ArmA III loadout system should make that much easier once the models are done) and more diverse, non-stereotypical ethnicities. The current civilians look like something that'd work for a mission designer who needs to set the scripts up, not actual gameplay. I can see why BI prioritized tactical simulation over "feelies" like that, but as a result, AIII is about as atmospheric as the latest VBS. While it's fine for a training tool, in an immersive game like AIII, it needs to be fixed.

its late beta. its is feature complete, not content complete.

alpha is where features change, beta is where placeholders exist.

personally i want to be able to shoot women *sarc* (lets see how that goes down), and i await the white knighters that say thats sexist or something

I'm sure they are coming. If not, there will be a mod soon. The game may be released, but lets be honest it's not really finished. I'm fine with that, just sayin, you just need to be patient. THere's already a lady head up on ArmaHolic if you want to have a lady soldier (the bulky gear makes it hard to notice the lack of breasts, etc). I will say the lack of variety with the civilians is a bit odd, but I can't really complain about that when we don't even have a population module as far as I know.

I think most people playing the game would go on their way to digitally abuse those creatures from Heaven.. most probably in arma life mode? there's disturbing pics from A2 where u see em' in the crouch position in-front of servicemen..especially those pilots and marines..-_-

Edited by vagabond985

it's particularly strange because there were women models in the earlier builds they demo'd, but they're gone too.

i really hope it's because they're still being worked on, otherwise this is actually a step back from arma 2, which did feature women civilians.

also maruk's enigmatic twitter comment is disturbing too. is he saying that arma 3 lacking in content like the first game is actually a good thing? at least the first game came with a campaign.

I think most people playing the game would go on their way to digitally abuse those creatures from Heaven.. most probably in arma life mode? there's disturbing pics from A2 where u see em' in the crouch position in-front of servicemen..especially those pilots and marines..-_-

Thing is that is present in any game and it's not just females. I don't like what they did, I find it amazingly childish but to hold out on a gameplay feature of fully functioning female characters for the sole reason of tardery in that regard seems very silly. On another note, these are all just digital representations, what makes the female so holy? She's made of the same triangles and quads.

Edited by NodUnit

While I respect your opinion and concerns, I always find the ArmA community/fan base's concerns laughable. We can get huge threads amassed about the gender of our targets, yet everyone seems to be content with the worlds most cumbersome and antiquated command system known in video game history. The AI is still dumb as a sack of rocks with severe difficultly following you. Female or male character 3D model, does it make a difference if the damn hostages can't be rescued and extracted without getting lost 15 times over 1 kilometer while running in a straight line?

Fix the AI, make hostage AI workable, and fix the garbage editor UI. When aspects that actually matter and define the gameplay are ironed out, then we can worry about the gender, race, or skin color of the characters. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see such improvements in this series/from this developer.

Agree with most of the posts..i understand that the release have problems, but this is a joke. there are loads of more important stuff to fix

What's even more disturbing is all of this concern with women in the virtual world of Arma3.

And gee, look at this, I make a post about inequality and all the bigots come out. No surprise there.

i love how closet misogynists get all drawn and worked up over the sexism point. if no one mentioned it, they'd probably not bother to reply.

but back to the real discussion. female civilians have been done in arma 2 already, with their own skeletons, so the "too much work" argument goes out the window.

While I respect your opinion and concerns, I always find the ArmA community/fan base's concerns laughable. We can get huge threads amassed about the gender of our targets, yet everyone seems to be content with the worlds most cumbersome and antiquated command system known in video game history. The AI is still dumb as a sack of rocks with severe difficultly following you. Female or male character 3D model, does it make a difference if the damn hostages can't be rescued and extracted without getting lost 15 times over 1 kilometer while running in a straight line?

Fix the AI, make hostage AI workable, and fix the garbage editor UI. When aspects that actually matter and define the gameplay are ironed out, then we can worry about the gender, race, or skin color of the characters. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see such improvements in this series/from this developer.

Because you're looking in the wrong places. There are threads for that and is even a thread dedicated to AI for testing.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?159710-Development-Branch-AI-Discussion

There are plenty of gripes about the action menu as well, with this video used as a prominent reference

Please keep the complaints of reference to their particular threads or make a thread of your own in reference to it rather than going into other threads to talk about it extensively, this isn't a shouting contest wherein we go into other peoples places to yell so the problems we believe are more important are to be heard.

I have seen in the editor and while using Virtual Ammo boxes that there are female items such as 'Ladies Shades' so chances are females will be implemented at some point, whether in a civilian/military capacity or both.

Do you have a link to this mod? I've been searching the forums and Armaholic to no avail. If you can post it in a reply or a PM I would be most grateful, thank you. :)

On topic... While I don't expect we'll get female soldiers from BIS, I do hope the female civs can use weapons/vehicles unlike in ARMA 2 so we can easily mod them into female soldiers. As a female, I don't feel that BIS is sexist. They just have a lot on their plate with this game and there's a lot of stuff, like the campaign, that is still yet to be implemented.

Hey Asytra, here's a link! It's more of a "project" open to anyone with modeling skills, but you can download the female NATO soldier that's quasi-complete (just needs better rigging). http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162997-Female-Soldiers-0-1-Alpha-Modders-Resource

...that completely ignores the female sex (that's half the human race right there) is unacceptable and should draw as much outrage.

NO it should not. Lack of sp content at release can detract significantly from the experience, lack of women DOES NOT. Sure, it may be a little more immersive to have women, but it's not a big deal. It's small thing and honestly, I'd much, MUCH rather they spend their time on making a good SP experience (+maybe some good warfare missions) than waste time making female models. So no, lack of women in this game should cause ZERO outrage... absolutely NON. Why? Because it's not at all important when compared to all the other things that need to be worked on at the moment. If it's such a big deal, just wait for a modder to add them; because someone will.

ps. Reading through your posts on this thread, you call a lot of people "bigots" when all they are trying to do is to have a logical argument...

Also: NO; no no no no no no no no no. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Nope

Edited by kyfohatl

i think modders will change things:

i.imgurdotcom/0D6kqHZ.jpg

I like women - am married to one and have a daughter. However, I could not be any LESS concerned about the lack of women in Arma 3. Let's face it, the player base is 99.9% male - and it'd also be annoying when the inevitable immersion-ruining gameplay ensues when playable female characters become available and every pre-teen and teenage boy decides it'd be hilarious to run around playing women in their underwear carrying big guns. Would it be "nice" to see some women AI - sure, but I'd place that somewhere around 10,000th position on the enhancement request list.

the player base is 99.9% male

I don't have any facts, but I'd bet that there are definitely more women than you might think. I've come across quite a few while playing ArmA over the years. One in particular was actually a mission maker and community manager (Not here).

I believe that most of them prefer to lay low so they don't get bothered by the men.

Maybe female civilians haven't been added because BIS is unsure about how to handle the clothing customization. Because they don't want players going immediately to the editor to undress the female characters and saying hurr hurr look at teh boobies.

One solution to that is just to have their clothing be part of the model and disable uniform customization, like the 'Orestes' story character.