Sign in to follow this  
thesneak

I am a player of BI games from OFP CWC. Heres what I think.

I am enjoying the game and strangely it performs a lot better than ArmA2 (I haven't tried MP yet).

There are some valid points thought, I opened up the mission editor looking for at the aircraft and it was pretty weak. I see it as a "platform" and it definitely has a lot more potential then previous versions. I have been playing since OFP and although I am pretty ignorant when it comes to realism and the authenticity of weapons etc I think the game has a much bigger scope. If all else fails the game has one of the best mod communities out there.

Good afternoon all, I have spent many hours reading through the various posts about how unhappy (if i can use that expression) people are, Also how some people are not unhappy and love the release of A3. I thought i would throw my hat into the ring. More on the side of the unhappy people. The original post made me laugh and by the end of it i was crying. The trouble is that what he says is very true.

I am one of the many people, and i don't have the exact numbers or even rough numbers, of people who pre paid for the release based on the information given by BiS themselves here, http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=14450 and here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?119512-Arma-3-Confirmed-features-info-amp-discussion, Sorry Moderators i have posted them wrongly i am not very good with fancy links and stuff!

The number of people who purchased the game based on those pre release blogs notices releases call them what you will have every right to be disappointed now. Having parted with hard earned cash in todays climate of recession have a customers right to complain moan and bitch about what they have actually got for their money. All the excuses about the guys getting locked up in Greece, sacking or moving or making redundant or what ever happened to the original team and starting again etc etc, isnt that moaning and making excuses in the same way as we are now? do we not have a right, to complain when a product we pay for isnt "fit for purpose"? Maybe strong statement to make "fit for purpose" as in the true sense we can still play the game. So technically it is fit for purpose. But the game and the companies reputation is built on keeping good customer satisfaction is it not?

Maybe, just maybe, had the guys not got locked up in Greece, and to be honest how they managed that is beyond me! i have managed to abuse the Greek Police while steaming drunk, fighting with locals and still not get locked up! either way, the release may have been different./ I am not so sure.

When you look through the ticket system that we are all told to use for feedback etc, there are hundreds if not thousands of them and most of them seems to have been dealt with, REALLY? Here is an example of that today while building a mission for my group, i wanted to use the aircraft BiS spawning module, so i check how its used, like i said i am not a get scripter, in any sense of the word! place down the module sync all the planes only to find that it doesn't recognise them due to a P3d problem, its got airplane instead of airplane_x? go figure! so i thought this was due to it being the "new" FA 18, so i removed it and tried again, guess what its also an issue with the "New" Buzzard also has the wrong P3d name. So i think to myself lets go help out and create a ticket, its a day of firsts for me! and guess what its ther already and several times as well, but here is the rub the person assigned to it has singed it off!

Now i am a fire fighter, you call me to your house as its on fire, I arrive with my big red shiney truck and start putting wet stuff on the hot stuff, halfway through i tell the guys "ok thats enough" get back on my truck and clear off, leaving your house in flames, are you annoyed a little bit confused as to why i have left? well yes of course you are. So you ask me why i have left, here is my answer, well i looked at it did a bit and as far as i am concerned its done. You are going to be upset and angry and rightly so. You can use this analogy to either that one ticket or to the whole game, i paid for a product that was promised to me, Bis entered into a contract with me the day i paid my money to provide me with a product as described. Have they done so? well no, not in a satisfactory condition. Half the stuff doesnt work, lets look at the editor, Some of the modules dont work, if you put down a OPFOR site, say anti air team you get 6 infantry 3 of which are grenadiers? i am guessing that they have the secret futuristic heat seaking 40mm grenades? (that we dont have) or maybe heat seaking rounds in there futuristic weapons, not!

The respawn mod doesn't work on aircraft due to the aircraft names being wrong? instead of saying its done how about you go look and check? especially if he is being paid for that job from OUR MONEY!

There is no 3d editor? why not? for heavens sake how long do we have to wait? how many times do we have to ask?

I like a few of the guys who worked on this game as well as a lot who play it are ex military i currently work in a military environment, i know what weapons are modern and futuristic, i havent seen anything in game that is either. Some of it is downright ancient! I am not going to detail what is and isnt, if you are that concerned google is your friend!

To pay money for re skinned models doesnt bother me i wouldnt know even if they are, and i am taking the word of those who say they do know! What bothers me most is the total lack of content and realistic settings, am i ever going to get a laying on a sunbed get a tan mod? i doubt it so why are there sunbeds and parasols? i mean come on guys! is this really the best you could come with? were you late back from the pub one night and thought i know (giggle) lets put sunbeds on the beaches (giggle) If you are un able to provide the product you said then be up front and honest, tell us, we wont desert you! i would have rather had the map with nothing else that the rubbish you have turned out, poor performance in online MP mode, countless scripting errors, vehicles that dont exist anymore and yet i can place them from the poor editor. Actually i like a lot of the features but you have missed a real trick there.

What i do know is that there was very little "content" in the release, One type of jet? (old) really? loads of tanks all the same but a few variations on a theme (old), a really really fast car (speed is new modern looking car), same old MRAP type vehicles, (old hat) and 3 variations of them, Same old boats, (second world war)

Bis did you even go to any military displays? exhibitions or demos? really guys! lazy isnt the word for what you have done or rather not done! You went to Greece on "holiday" paid for on expenses was it? that means it was from OUR MONEY! I have regular arguments at work with my US military friends about taking pictures, you cant do that its opsec, its national security, Guys go look at google i will pull up a hundred pictures of that Predator drone! or that oshkosh MRAP! You didnt need to go to Greece to look at military bases weapons or anything else you can do it all from your desk. Google earth is your friend!

Having to wait for updates for 2 or 3 weeks is wrong especially if you have updates that can improve game play, guys we have paid for this! give us what you have as long as it works, instead of working on hundreds of things prioritize your workload! game performance, models, etc etc get the team together and say right whats top of the list of issues? well the editor modules arent working and 300 people have created a shed load of tickets about it. Right i want it done all of you on it now i want it done today, what else?

This is turning into a rant and that wasnt the intention!

In essence what i am saying is this, i paid for a working product with all the functionality that i require and was promised along with vehicles, weapons and other bits and pieces as advertised above, have i got them all and in a working state? no, so here is my ending line

You had my money now give me what i paid for! or i will scream and scream and scream!

And as usual the moderators will read this and ignore it or even give me an infraction or maybe even a ban, but that about as far as it will go! The only way to get results is to go to the press! guess what guys! cant wait for the press reviews!

cant wait for the press reviews!

I doubt the press will share the communities sentiments, they will praise it as "highly functional game" and leave it at that. They wont notice the lack of anything worthwhile in the game

To the moderators' credit post-release, they haven't been handing out infractions all that much except for posts containing personal attacks or totally inconstructive flaming.

But he has some good points tbh.

The post may be abit "over the top" but he is spot on all the issues in the game currently.

Fingers crossed for future updates.

Good reading mate, i agree with about 80-85% of it.

Over the top? That's a huge goddamn understatement! I think A3 needs work but the OP sounds spoiled from all the content A2+OA, A1, and OFP:CWC+R offered after TONS of patches! The only MAJOR things that rustle my jimmies in A3 are the lack of women, the civilians looking like tourists, lack of a unique GMG/HMG for each faction, T-100, and lack of aircraft.

Now i am a fire fighter, you call me to your house as its on fire, I arrive with my big red shiney truck and start putting wet stuff on the hot stuff, halfway through i tell the guys "ok thats enough" get back on my truck and clear off, leaving your house in flames, are you annoyed a little bit confused as to why i have left? well yes of course you are. So you ask me why i have left, here is my answer, well i looked at it did a bit and as far as i am concerned its done. You are going to be upset and angry and rightly so. You can use this analogy to either that one ticket or to the whole game, i paid for a product that was promised to me, Bis entered into a contract with me the day i paid my money to provide me with a product as described. Have they done so? well no, not in a satisfactory condition. Half the stuff doesnt work, lets look at the editor, Some of the modules dont work, if you put down a OPFOR site, say anti air team you get 6 infantry 3 of which are grenadiers? i am guessing that they have the secret futuristic heat seaking 40mm grenades? (that we dont have) or maybe heat seaking rounds in there futuristic weapons, not!

Oh yes, that's EXACTLY what buying a $30 video game is like......BI forums, where analogies go to die...

i paid for a product that was promised to me, Bis entered into a contract with me the day i paid my money to provide me with a product as described
I am one of the many people, and i don't have the exact numbers or even rough numbers, of people who pre paid for the release based on the information given by BiS themselves here, http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=14450 and here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...amp-discussion

Oh yes, right, the thread that states atop

Some of the features listed reach as far back as 2011 and may not be present in the final game, as Arma 3 is a WIP title and features may be removed during development.

froggyluv obviously missed it completely. Rather be part of the discussion and add valid points. I agree with bulletoothdan. The more time i spend in the editor. The more ridiculous it gets. Also just spent time trying to make Altis feel "lived in". Its kinda hard when all the civilians are clones and there's no women. Really! the default African civilian fugitive and beggar, looks almost exactly like the commoner and surfer. luckily they all can have very flashy SUV's and hatchbacks that can do 320km/h. lol. But honestly.

Really froggyluv?

I am glad that you managed to read what appears to be quite a bit of the post, but to be fair your comments don't actually cover the main issues? that being the lack of stuff that works within the game as released? You have simply referred me back to the Bis comments that some of it wont make to release, well i am aware of that, but the point is that the release has things in it that simply don't work, well properly or at all!

Now with regard to the analogy well its not exactly the same as buying a $30 game your absolutely right, and i am forever in your debt for pointing out the fact that buying a $30 game isnt the same as not having your house fire put out. I apologize profusely for any confusion i may have caused with my wrongly used analogy. What i perhaps should have said is "if you say you have done something, then make sure you are not just paying lip service, to those of us who take the time to raise tickets, in order to point out glaring mistakes, and or things that dont work in order for you, BiS, to improve the product you have sold us all for $30 or there about's, price not correct at time of going to press.

Here are a few of the things that dont work or are broken that i know of

Respawn module for aircraft, what aircraft there are, wrong names in P3d File

Ammo refuel support trucks no longer exist, umm yes they do i have them in my editor! nope produces script error

UAV's open up on friendlies even when no operator is using item,

AI cant follow a road

Rocks that you fall into and never get out of

Piers that you sink into and have to use V to get out of

Supply module (not guaranteed to work every time)

Transport module (not guaranteed to work every time)

AI un realistic reactions and capabilities

Unable to get gear from the dead (Zombie or otherwise)

A Combat helmet that weighs more than the rucksack your carrying

Unrealistic fatigue model

Building positions that don't appear to work when you place ai on map and tell them to sentry/guard/move or any other form of way point, in variety of positions as listed in the buildings way point list, they always seem to position outside and stay there.

Now i am more than happy to take advice if i am doing something wrong or someone has found a way to fix the things i have listed above,

Once again Froggyluv thanks for your valuable contribution to the discussion.

Over the top? That's a huge goddamn understatement! I think A3 needs work but the OP sounds spoiled from all the content A2+OA, A1, and OFP:CWC+R offered after TONS of patches! The only MAJOR things that rustle my jimmies in A3 are the lack of women, the civilians looking like tourists, lack of a unique GMG/HMG for each faction, T-100, and lack of aircraft.

Couldn't agree more ( well I would add also different turrets for vehicle ).

It seems that lot of people are discontent with the content of this game.

Alot of seasoned players who like to play arma with realisum mods ie ACE,

Just aren't impressed the content is shocking things like buildings having no furniture and the OPFOR driving around in the Dark Knights bat mobile.

Over the top? That's a huge goddamn understatement! I think A3 needs work but the OP sounds spoiled from all the content A2+OA, A1, and OFP:CWC+R offered after TONS of patches!

Oh right because you know sequels aren't about moving forward from what was achieved, it's about moving backwards.

Also FYI in OA BIS has stopped adding any new content in patches and in A2 it was only AH64. Even without AH64 ArmA2's library is much much bigger and more varied than ArmA3 with its two APCs and two turrets.

Also FYI in OA BIS has stopped adding any new content in patches

Ahem? That means that BIS has stopped adding new content at all?

Of course they will add new content, some for free and some for money. However I highly doubt that we'll ever see ArmA3 vanilla being on par with vanilla ArmA2 when it comes to variety and amount of content.

Adding two CAS planes, that will most likely just mirror L159 in everything due to deathmatch balancing just like every single vehicle in A3 does compared to its counterpart will never going to help with that.

Unable to get gear from the dead (Zombie or otherwise)

we had this happen last night, our player said none of the bodies had an ammo, it turns out when he checked there inventory under ALL he was not scrolling to the bottom of the window where the backpack and harness? was where you can drag the whole item or click on it (has a right facing arrow) to open it and see the contents.

Oh right because you know sequels aren't about moving forward from what was achieved, it's about moving backwards.

Also FYI in OA BIS has stopped adding any new content in patches and in A2 it was only AH64. Even without AH64 ArmA2's library is much much bigger and more varied than ArmA3 with its two APCs and two turrets.

First of all, you're implying UNITS AND GUNS ARE THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS. The two devs that were imprisoned in Greece were working on Altis, so that ended up delaying their efforts. What has BIS been working on, you ask? Altis, Stratis, control improvements, but mostly Altis. And in regards to your signature - that only applies if you have found an unlimited source of first aid kits. Last I checked, FAKs aren't unlimited.

Of course they will add new content, some for free and some for money. However I highly doubt that we'll ever see ArmA3 vanilla being on par with vanilla ArmA2 when it comes to variety and amount of content.

Adding two CAS planes, that will most likely just mirror L159 in everything due to deathmatch balancing just like every single vehicle in A3 does compared to its counterpart will never going to help with that.

So.... your "no content in patches" comment was just what, filler?

I guess we won't see as much bespoke content for ArmA3 as we saw for ArmA2, for several reasons which I won't bore you with, it's all been discussed lots already. But I don't really see the point in making misleading comments.

First of all, you're implying UNITS AND GUNS ARE THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS. The two devs that were imprisoned in Greece were working on Altis, so that ended up delaying their efforts. What has BIS been working on, you ask? Altis, Stratis, control improvements, but mostly Altis. And in regards to your signature - that only applies if you have found an unlimited source of first aid kits. Last I checked, FAKs aren't unlimited.

Need FAK? Loot a dead body. Everyone have one by default.

And in regards to your signature - that only applies if you have found an unlimited source of first aid kits. Last I checked, FAKs aren't unlimited.

Each vehicle contains 5 or 10 FAKs, each player has 1 FAK, each enemy (wether they have been placed in the editor or spawned in from a script) has FAKs. You can pretty much get shot, heal yourself, kill the enemy, loot his FAK and do the same thing again and again and again.. (until you get headshotted) So yes, FAKs are pretty much unlimited.

still teleportation to get in the vehicles with no proper animations (opening doors, etc...)...trademark of ofp/arma series :)

You can't loot FAKs in my missions. FAKs don't exist in my missions. Not on the enemy. Not on the player. It took every bit of 10 seconds to write a snippet that returns all units on the map and takes away their FAKS. Vehicles included. Add in one of the few first aid / revive (bleedout) scripts currently available and you're good to go in that aspect.

It's very simple. If you don't like FAKs then take them out of your missions or don't play missions with FAKs. There's seems to be this fear that someone else will use the FAKs or put them into their missions. That's just silly. And if that isn't the case, then why worry so much about FAKs? Worry about what and how you play, don't worry about what others do. I don't see the need for concern regarding FAKs.

Edited by David77

You can't loot FAKs in my missions. FAKs don't exist in my missions. Not on the enemy. Not on the player. It took every bit of 10 seconds to write a snippet that returns all units on the map and takes away their FAKS. Vehicles included. Add in one of the few first aid / revive (bleedout) scripts currently available and you're good to go in that aspect.

It's very simple. If you don't like FAKs then take them out of your missions or don't play missions with FAKs. There's seems to be this fear that someone else will use the FAKs or put them into their missions. That's just silly. And if that isn't the case, then why worry so much about FAKs? Worry about what and how you play, don't worry about what others do. I don't see the need for concern regarding FAKs.

THAT'S THE POINT I'M TRYING TO MAKE! If you don't like FAKs, disable them in your missions, and the problem is solved!

THAT'S THE POINT I'M TRYING TO MAKE! If you don't like FAKs, disable them in your missions, and the problem is solved!

I do the same with NV Goggles, as for me it doesnt make sense that soldiers wear them in daytime. So 5 lines in init.sqf and here it goes...

I do the same with NV Goggles, as for me it doesnt make sense that soldiers wear them in daytime. So 5 lines in init.sqf and here it goes...

I put mine in my backpack during the day. Lessons learned from Somalia.

Yeah, I've always been quite dissapointed with what ArmA 3 has brought. The only thing I really like is the new engine, but it seems like they didn't add a lot of the things that everyone hoped for in ArmA, while subsequently adding features that nobody really likes (Like the Michael Bay style car explosions that were dismissed as a no-bug on the feedback tracker).

Playing with mods solves a lot of these issues, but there are RARELY ever servers with mods up. While Life, Wasteland and similar are fun missions they seem to be the only thing 99% of the ArmA community plays. Vanilla co-op missions can be fun but they get old fast with the lack of new features expected in Arma 3.