Sign in to follow this  
thesneak

I am a player of BI games from OFP CWC. Heres what I think.

Here is an exciting break down of brand new Arma 3 features that every Arma and OPF fan will enjoy!

Arma 3 is set in the future, about 50 years in the future. Let's see what the world of tomorrow holds for the citizens of Altis and Stratis.

-No bicycles. Who needs them, sure they have been in every game up until now, but in the future zombies don't ride bikes, and neither can you.

-2 makes of cars. In the future we don't drive new fancy electric cars, hover cars, or any cars, trucks or sport utility vehicles, busses or motor cycles, 2 cars and a quad bike (how futuristic!), or we run. (from zombies soon, again, I'm sure).

-Islands without boats, ships or barges except 1960s era attack boats and rubber rafts. Why would you want them, you can get futuristic rebreathers and swim everywhere in the vast amount of water that surrounds the Islands to enjoy the client side fish. Everything you'll ever need in a future military sim.

-Solar power plants and 17th century Dutch windmills together in Greece. It's the way of the future! No need for a Nuclear power plant to script a anti terrorism mission. But without a nuclear accident, I wonder what will justify the zombies were sure to fight.

-No women. Mmm. Greece is more progressive in the future than say, some throw back place like Takistan or Charnurus who still have that ancient 2 sex human system. I get the feeling that they will still have all male strip clubs though.

-Your choice of Futuristic Homes! Choose between orange clay roofs and blue window frames with real working doors, Mud brick houses with degenerated wood doors, or my favorite, the unfinished 2 story brick building. All models come in either completed or ruined states for those who desire originality.

-A balanced ecology. Tour Altis and be amazed to see snakes that open doors, and their food. The rabbit. Don't worry, there aren't any of those scary pigs or dogs you find in the past, they have all been eaten by survivors or the zombie apocalypse.

-2 sizes of Radar bulbs to blow up over and over again! what fun!

-

You can choose what clothes you wear! You don't have to wait for some bright modder to skin clothes for you, Now you can choose your own futuristic outfit. Your choices are almost limitless. 2 colors of striped collared short sleeved shirts, 2 colors of shorts, and a skin tight green striped shirt that is future metro suave awesome. Just what you need for a night out at the all male bar. In the unlikely event you get tired of that, you can always shop at the army surplus store, mix and match camos (no future mirrored suites) to confuse your enemies (and friends). Oh, and maybe a business suit. Every model come equipped with underwear that displays a well rendered package. Painstaking care and extra time was taken to 3d model this area of hundreds of triangle points making this a great improvement over Arma2.

-1 futuristic 7 story building that you can only use the first two floors of! Just like Arma 2(only that had about 10 different models and some OFP versions too). The future is full of quality improvements, without all the quantity that you hated about, OFP, Arma 1&2.

-Arma 2 quality airport buildings that you are used to, that no civilian can ever use. We don't fly airplanes in the future, or civilian helicopters. I know you were worried that you were going to be burdened by the possibility of ancient OFP, Arma and Arma2 transport variants and possible new stuff, or heaven forbid a few Take on helicopter models creeping in, don't sweat it. The complete absence of any planes insures a quality before quantity product not in anyway like those failures we all bought like crazy it the past.

While in Greece, the Devs had a glimpse into the concept of future war. Let's just take a moment and examine what that vision entails. Are you ready to be astounded by the military of the future?

-My personal favorite is an awesome reskinned Black Hawk called the Ghost hawk! A stealth helicopter that everything can see and shoot down just like any other helicopter. Complete with a generic cockpit that goes well with every cockpit, a stealthy black paintjob, and a flat surface stealth body the USA deemed obsolete with the F117 after they got past designing airplanes in the 80s with a Commodore 64k!

-A reskinned Hughes Bell AH1 Iroquois super Cobra Renamed the AH99 (because in the future 99 is better than 1) and redesignated the Blackfoot in keeping with the tradition of Americans naming their helicopters after a Native Indian tribe for that authentic feel. It has a stealthy new shape and paint job that gets locked and shot down by everything just like it's counterpart the Ghost hawk or a flying campfire with tinfoil wrapped around it.(not good enough for an American tribe name). Hey when I want a new Arma game, I want 1 tenth the content and new skins. That's what made Arma the game to play in the past right?

-A jet! WOOHOO! Don't worry folks, In the future the US Marine corps phased out the A-10 in favor of no close air support. They Navy tossed the VTF 23 and the airforce said screw the the F22 and decided to fly the now 20 year old Global hawk. I just wonder why they didn't reskin the A-10 and call it the A-100 ghost hog? Perhaps I will be able to buy one DLC -

-The Iranianskis are blessed with some sort of French trainer thing that looks like a cross between a F101 voodoo and a cat turd. The future sure is bright!

-A Stealth almost Abrams, too good for the name Abrams. Because everything is painted black in the future. (Stealth not included).

-A Marshal APC! Gone are the days of the antiquated Bradley and its pesky TOW platform. Who needs missiles when you have a 60 year old gun to fire? My only question is this, where is it's black paint job?

-3 variations of the same futuristic Australian looking outback truck, with a machine gun, a grenade launcher and a civilian version with the same paint job and a knockout in the top where you can fit a gun for fighting zombies!

-3 variations of a groovy dune buggy attack car, with machine gun, a grenade launcher, or neither! All three have the same paint job. Dark camo!

-The Hemmet big truck! For all your big truck needs! Because you have more important things to worry about than choosing a truck to serve your army, like what color cammo to wear.

-Just because we're 40 years in the future, doesn't mean there isn't room for the classics with future names! Like the MH 6 little bird updated to the AH-9 Pawnee (for that authentic American native name feel). Equipped with a futuristic invisible Gatling gun that shoots futuristic 7.62 ammo (you know just like the now 70 year old SKS rifle) and hydra rocket pods to replace the ancient drone version, Tow versions, flir equipped or silent kinds. Comes equipped with the number 9.

-Every vehicles gun sight comes equipped with the same exact gun sight without range reference. They know how confusing it was in Arma and OFP to see something different from a Nato Tank gun as opposed to a soviet gun. Now there is no confusion because in the future everyone gets there weapons from the same manufacturer, the Dutch. (makers of the new green power efficient brick and cloth windmills seen through out Altis).

-So much water to interact with , and here is what you get to play in it! A 40 year old attack boat, just like the one America traveled around in Vietnam with, but with the heat signature greater than a helicopter! A rubber raft also lockable by heat seeking missiles from 2 km anywhere and you cant shoot from! And the super high tech 4 man submersible that makes all the difference in the world. It has a mind blowing laser designator sight like the one every modern army is hand equipped with today. I cant wait to travel for a half an hour to get 1/5th the way around Altis to have everything on the map see the periscope and shoot at me when I use the laser.

-No bothersome warships! You didn't want them in Arma 2, and that's good because you won't get them here either! Not even that static Aircraft Carrier. There aren't any planes, so what would it carry?

-Todays technology tomorrow! choose from several different drones that you will never use, as well as the generic UAV view scripted so long ago, but with 3 new color filters. Red, Yellow and digi.

- Impossible Technology of the future featured in Arma 3. Like "enemy seeking artillery ammo" that makes use of Get pos, set pos, ultra scripting. This is not to be confused with Battlefields generic artillery drop. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Who wants real artillery that has a trajectory that modern weapons back calculate to respond automatically?

-Here are just some of the improvements that the Devs focused on when they weren't reskinning a whopping 20 Arma 2 vehicles, that they say makes the game worth 50 bucks.

-Utilization of 2 year old Direct x for improved lighting effects (admittedly I really like this, Arma2 lights are crap).

-Very realistic terrain that takes a cutting edge video card to see, that the same ol' Ai has no idea how to traverse. It's so fun to deal with your bots getting stuck every 50m in a 70km square map on one of millions of the same colored rocks. Unlike todays army that traverses where it makes sense, the future army dosn't have the gear ratio to climb hills it doesn't have sense enough to avoid. So fun.

-Massive amounts of underwater terrain that you can explore for millions of hours and see a variety client side fish, coral, and turtles, or several underwater shipwrecks perfect for glitching in. All this for no reason at all because there are no ships to sabotage or Oil rigs to invade (the future did away with fossil fuels and replaced them with 17th century Dutch windmills).

-More Rocks to glitch in, hide in, or get stuck in than all previous Arma and OFP maps including modded ones combined! All that realistic terrain, just perfect for clobbering your 3d rendering and AI path finding. I sure am glad they did away with that boring old terrain that looked pretty good and the Ai could navigate. I thought this would be another arma game with several big maps that work.

About 30 Large cities in Altis that have the same 15 structures in everyone. If you get lost and confused, you can just check your position on your map! Quality over quantity!. They made sure not to bring in any of the buildings from previous Arma versions like they have done before. This is a new Arma, set in the future!

I could go on and on, but I am already going on and on.

So what happened BI? Did someone slip you a roofy in Greece and made you forget why we buy Arma games in the first place? If you were under the pressure, you could have paid one of your thousands of community member fan modders a nickel and a sad song to skin and port over A1, A2 and OFP content to this graphic engine, and you would have released the best version ever. I bet they would have even done it for free, just to save this game the embarrassment of your bright ideas.

Instead you kneecapped all of you mission designers, and modders by providing so little content that they can't recreate enough to use this.

Not 1 nickel for DLC. I promise. Not one cent. Never. Not ever.

I only pray that the community finds a work around to fix this wreck. I have high hopes that All in Arma will work. I'll donate to them, But i'm done with you. Also, have you seen what's coming out in video games these days? Have you seen the indie scene?

Some games are sold because of their brand name, Arma is not one of them. You will never compete there. Get the hint.

OFP resistance Got game of the year. Arma2 Operation Arrowhead got smashing reviews. Neither had a detailed campaign or story.

Why do you think we are waiting for single player campaign to come out on DLC?

WE ARE WAITING FOR WHAT THE COMMUNITY CAN DO HERE AS ALWAYS! Get over yourselves.

I bought OFP CWC the first week it released, I have bought every variation of this game and have been a community member for 8 years. I have downloaded almost every mod and have played 1000s of hours online multiplayer with this community.

I think my judgment is qualified, and I know this is the same exact game as A1 but with everything I like removed and justified with a new graphic engine.

I'm just sayin.

The butthurt is strong with this one.

They must had forgot they were making ArmA 3 :confused:

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

Go somewhere else, he is a bit right if you ask me.

But he has some good points tbh.

The post may be abit "over the top" but he is spot on all the issues in the game currently.

Fingers crossed for future updates.

Good reading mate, i agree with about 80-85% of it.

Go somewhere else, he is a bit right if you ask me.

I'm comfy where I am thanks.

You can pick holes in the content all you want. People did for OFP, A1, A2, OA, and always will.

Basically, people are spoiled by A2OA. A2OA took like 6 years worth of content and packaged it together into one game. And now BI are the devil for not producing more content in A3 than in A2OA.

Remember, A3 is NOT "content complete". There IS more to come.

While the rest of the post may have had merit, the preface, the style and this:

Instead you kneecapped all of you mission designers, and modders by providing so little content that they can't recreate enough to use this.

Not 1 nickel for DLC. I promise. Not one cent. Never. Not ever.

I only pray that the community finds a work around to fix this wreck. I have high hopes that All in Arma will work. I'll donate to them, But i'm done with you. Also, have you seen what's coming out in video games these days? Have you seen the indie scene?

Some games are sold because of their brand name, Arma is not one of them. You will never compete there. Get the hint.

are all butthurt, pure and simple.

Can't say I agree with at least half of his points but imo he's spot on with the civie stuff and BI giving way to much attention to underwater.

They could have improved the ships part in this new Arma game.Not big stuff like a working carrier but at least bigger ships like some destroyers than then old patrol boats buckets.

Guest Ti0n3r

I'm a player of BIS games since 2001 and I think browsing this forum is depressing. Pointing out all the bad things is easy mode. If you really feel like sharing your opinions on this & that at least try to be constructive... And yeah, the lack of content is old news. You could try to enjoy the game anyway. I hope I dont appear a fanboy, but seriously.

@DM

You are right in some sense, people are very spoiled.

Hopefully we will be spoiled again with the future updates and DLC's :)

But it think it boiles down to BI "axing" to many features, they have "promised" so to speak.

Im not gonna hijac the thread, and start talking about axed features, but all in all i feel they released it to soon. Would not have hurt to keep it in beta for another couple of months.

I think people have a hard time understanding full release, but not full content tbh. Have to admit im one of them aswell.

@Ti0n3r

Dont get me wrong, im not complaining about lack of content, I just want to point out they have given us less then they promised 2-3 years ago, and it sadens me.

Ive spend over 600 hours in A3 so far and im loving it, truly.

But it feels like less of a game then the previous arma's tbh.

Edited by Byrgesen

Price vs Content is about right to be honst

some cynics might say people begged for realism and they finally got it , there is fookall to do on Lemnos and thus equally so on Altis .

Personally i belive for the types of mission played in the MP servers the content and terrain fits in perfectly .

As an SP person only i have realy enjoyed the content and dare i say even spent a few weeks playing the Life Mods on ALtis and Stratis in SP .

I am sure there are players of CO-OP and such who wil be pissed but hey , times move on and these days looking at it from a Business point of view as BIS have too , i reckon the Life mods and the Wastelanders will keep them in Business for another generation.

Maybe when PR 2.0 comes for Arma 3 there will be another content brigade who knows. as for CO-OP i could not commnt as i am not sure if thats because there hasnt been an equivalent mission like wasteland and Dayz or arma life that has puled in the crowd , maybe it was expected BIS would do it ?

are all butthurt, pure and simple.

And such derogatory one line replies, that insult and paint everyone and anyone with such complaint as someone who has injured themselves by inserting large objects rectally, helps whom and contributes to the discussion what?

Well Said... Every bit of it.

But still ARMA 3 is going to be great. Thank god for ACE Soundmods such as JSRS and Blastcore Visuals...

I would donate to them too... Infact if they all teamed up together they could make a REAL mil sim :D.. And ofc All In ARMA. What a saviour to A3 that will be! As soon as that is out BI will come out with an "DLC" to port everything into A3 :D

Thanks for the engine BI, The community will finish the rest of it i guess?

Wait DM says there is more content, but five months ago people are complaining that there was going to be more content. And transition from Alpha to Beta only added a few more things. And here we are, deadline met for like the 3rd time straight... no new content. And virtually everyone is feeling like there isn't any work being done on the actually game itself, if this was all about their engine I'd say everything improved. But essentially, there have been people in the community to release more weapons in a single mod than what ArmA 3 had in each ammo box for each faction. There really is a reason to be angry DM, if you're not feeling the sadness you're obviously too concentrated on something that ain't there.

Please don't insult moderators.

Edited by R0adki11

I'm a player of BIS games since 2001 and I think browsing this forum is depressing.

Yep. Browsing this forum makes you feel like some sick man who only has some days of life left.

Yep. Browsing this forum makes you feel like some sick man who only has some days of life left.

It is Constructive Criticism, they seriously need to think about what all this Thread Author said. It's what happened and what ain't going to happen for their product... the point is well made friend!

There's already a gazillion of threads like these. Why not use an existing one for once instead of opening another? Your opinion isn't that much more important than those of all the other guys who post in existing threads.

What I can't understand, it's why everyone has to create a new thread to give their opinion. There are already a lot of threads talking about that. If you are disappointed, use this one.

But creating ten thousand new threads just flood the forum and doesn't allow other users to talk about other subjects.

I would say "never has a community been so deserving of having their game be decimated before their eyes", but then I remember that Star Trek Online exists... :rolleyes:

Besides, people DO have fun with this game!

Oh god, this version has a civilian sports (rally-ish) car. emot-monocle.gif

In related news, i discovered that my average livespan while driving 280 kph at night is under 30 seconds. emot-allears.gif

... shit, did i already spend 2 hours doing this?

DM. I see you have 4 years on me here, therefore it's undeniable that you are in utter denial.

I never asked for new content. OFP Resistance added to OFP CWC. Arma took many Objects, buildings and weapons from OFP, polished up the game a little and fixed the nightmare that was multiplayer. I am sure you spent many hours trying to get into a multiplayer OFP only to have it fail at the "mission griefing" or the never green nerds. Arma2 had a great deal of new content, but also brought in all the old favorites, and didn't skimp on the civilian stuff. A2 OA had even more, and good desert contents, and yet still you saw many things from even flashpoint, point being THEY NEVER SUBTRACTED.

But look at this mess. What are they going to do? Add all the stuff we are all too happy with already to Altis in the form of a DLC? Please. Your dreaming. Your dream is a nightmare.

I love the new water, and the goodies that go with it. I love the lighting. Old Lighting sucked. That's why I'm mad, this was the big chance to fix the few things that were lacking in the old games.

I for one wouldn't have minded if they took all the old buildings from All the games, replaced the textures with a little bit better (Or not), brought in all the cars and trucks, added a few more things, modeled the map from a generic image and skimped out on the billions of rocks so the AI can use the map.

Is Altis much better than Nogovo? Hell no, It's just rendered on a new DX.

It's the great graphics and great water that "butthurts" me the most, because it was these very things that we wished we had in prior Armas. Even if they put in 20 generic boats with different class names, the modders could have made war ships of them. But look at what they have to work with. Im not asking them to recreate Arma, I'm asking them not to produce this game with what was missing, then take out everything that was cool. Every second spent making that stupid windmill could have been spent porting over A2 content. Don't tell me they broke their ass reskinning that Blackhawk.

For the sake of fauq, they could have used OFP gun sights and we would have been none the wiser. They could have made the Ghost hawk invisible to guieded weapons outside of 1 k, with no effort.

They could have used a million user written scripts (as though they were ever above that before) to give more capability. Like this; how hard is it to hard script a fast rope on the choppers so the scripters don't have to string light poles together. Oh that's gonna look great in the super graphic Arma deluxe "quality over quantity" game. But hey, why should they, they have the community as there sucker ass slaves. They'll do it for them.

Whatever they pay you for damage control on the forum isn't enough. It's a shame to play the nerd fan boy if you have any experience in the progression of this game.

Where is my future? This is supposed to be the future. WHERE IS IT? Where are my firkin lasers? where is my adaptive camo?, where is my big dog with a chain gun or hover tank? Mabey a hover tank wouldn't get stuck on so many rocks? Mmm ever think of that? Where is my acoustic gun fire triangulator? Where is my hud helmet or snoot camera. Not even 90s tech. How about my anti missile tracking Gatling on my tank. Where is the future? Where is my stealth that is really stealth?

I'm not too worried though, the community will get it, AGAIN. FOR FREE.

They have the most talented community in the whole industry, and this is how they thank them. I actually wish EA bought them out, and that's an awful thing to think.

it's one tenth of Arma for twice the price on a new graphic engine.

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

LOL. I stand corrected.

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

At misty. I have never started my own thread here in 7 years. I'm gonna take this opportunity if you don't mind.

Thesneak, i had fun reading your post! very well made.

i hope to see reviews like this, so finally the devs will understand all the rage on the forums.

it's strange that i did not see a single dev answering all of this.

Weren't they gods because there was a strong connection with the community?

it's strange that i did not see a single dev answering all of this.

One had the first reply, and look what it says

smh

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! WE LOVE THE FIRING RANGES!!!!!!

At misty. I have never started my own thread here in 7 years. I'm gonna take this opportunity if you don't mind.

As far as I know, forum rules concern to all users, even the ones that have never started a thread before.

And I do mind, because if everyone opens a new thread to give their opinions about A3 release this forum it's gonna be flooded and no one would be able to use for other subjects.

§8) Post in the right forum & right thread

Please ensure you make new threads in the correct forum, if you're unsure of which forum to post in feel free to ask a moderator. If a thread exists for the topic you wish to post about you must use it, for example all ACE questions belong in the ACE thread. All addon/mod questions belong in the thread for that addon/mod. In the case of DayZ discussions they should be posted on the DayZ forums, this includes problems with the Modification. The troubleshooting forum is not for problems with Addons and Mods!

The OP brings up a lot of good points. I played the OFP demo for 3 months while I waited to get the full game for Christmas in 2001. I never got bored of it. I always looked forward to new games with great anticipation and even the press material would make my week when it was released. With A3 that all changed though. I did that ARG with the helicopters over Lemnos and then after the reveal from that I completely lost interest. I got the Alpha and I have rarely even played it. I've played less than 12 hours since the alpha release (the one good thing about Steam) in comparison to me playing about 2 hours of a single mission in the OFP demo at least every week probably closer to everday for 3 months. I might be looking back with rose tinted glasses I don't know but I do know three four things:

1.) For the first time in the history of this series I will stick with the previous game.

2.) I would not pay the current price for this game. It is just not worth it to me.

3.) I'm really disappointed that I feel that I have to have those two above opinions. I never thought I would ever be on the non-fanboy side of this.

4.) I'm really sorry I felt the need to say it because I know that the developers were working their asses off on it for the past few years. For the record, I do think the terrain was done very well even though I do wish the game took place somewhere else.

Edited by Jakerod