Sign in to follow this  
Tonci87

Showcase Review

The new Showcases are quite disapointing...

Tanks

Works very well in showcasing the absolutely stupid AI.

Had to restart numerous times because some tank got stuck on something (Walls, stones...).

AI is too stupid to turn the front end of the tank towards the enemy instead of the rear.

Turrets of the friendly vehicels are turned backwards most of the time because they engage some infantry that was there for no apparent reason and got steamrolled (Seriously, who came up with the idea to place loads of Inf without a single AT Weapon?)

Infantry just helplessly standing around instead of e.g. running away

No sane person would execute an asault on a village like this. Tanks should stay back and provide Overwatch, Firesupport not rush a village that could be full of AT Weapons.

Helicopter

Why is my gunner THAT stupid/incompetent? He fires his chain gun shot by shot while he should fire bursts.

Again the whole scenario feels as if made by a person with no military knowledge.

Drones

We are on a secret mission but lets totally turn on the lights on this fancy UGV....

Is the Darter just there to find the enemy? Well he even fails at that task. I gave it a waypoint over the city but it refused to go there so I had to fly it myself. Then I gave the UGV a waypoint towards a position where I could engage the AA. Of course the UGV totally prefered to stay on the road and drive right through the city (I could have given it a chain of waypoints through the terrain) (BTW, isn´t it supposed to be part of a defense network? I didn´t see any defenses). After eliminating the first AA I gave it a waypoint towards the second one, this time it drove into a wall and lost a front tire /ragequit

I will play the combined arms assault later.

And where are the other scenarios that we saw during the livestreams? (Sniper, village raid at night while there is battle in the distance?)

So far the showcases portray quite unrealistic scenarios, or scenarios that get executed in a very unrealistic way. AI totally ruins the fun.

Seriously BIS you need to start caring about the vehicle AI both driving and in combat!

Edited by Tonci87

It's no different with all other showcases. Clearly they were made by people who have not only not done any kind of research - they also simply do not use any kind of a common sense when designing missions.

That it would keep happening was obvious since Infantry Showcase.

It's as if it was trying to have Call of Duty wow-factor so hard. I mean it has you rushing through a valley with enemies coming in pairs at you. It's as if enemy commander is like "there's an enemy squad rushing at us! Let's send 2 guys to deal with them. Ok they die. Let's send another two. They died too? Crap! Let's send another two!". And when you reach the village the squad you were supposed to save isn't even coming under attack just chillaxing inside a building never trying to help you. And then you get this kewl real time feed of mortar positions and is sent there to deal with them ALONE. Why the hell did enemy force not use them right from the start? Why put them into action only after all their mates are dead? Why send one guy to deal with them since they may be defended?

I mean this is so ridiculous and makes no sense - so why are you surprised these new showcases are not any different?

Of course that said nothing beats Night showcase which is the dumbest of them all.

BLUFOR lands a single guy in a territory filled with enemies with a mission to just run around firing in the air. And of course CSAT, being so advanced, is too stupid to figure out it's one guy who isn't even killing them and think it's a massive invasion from the south pulling their force from the north... to kill ONE guy.

Something tells me campaign isn't worth looking forward to. People who made showcases have absolutely no clue.

Back in OFP/A1/A2 days missions, no matter good or bad, always had believable armies and events even if they were just a linear scripting. New team they put in charge of ArmA3 makes armies behave like idiots. This trend started with PMC DLC and it's annoying.

Edited by metalcraze

Just show cases, quick way to show off stuff and get a feel for things.. Like a test drive? Probably you hate the logo as well? :D

It should be obvious by now that the showcases are designed purely for that purpose - to showcase things, and not to be realistic, therefore it's pretty redundant to criticise them for being tactically unsound. Just like that BIS Y U NO ADD NVG thread about the Night Showcase. Regarding the Drone one, it was even stated by a dev in one of those live streams that they know it doesn't make sense for a recon team to have lights on during a mission, but that it makes it easier to find your team and also shows off the night lighting some more.

Tanks

I finished this one without any problems. If I had any criticism it's to do with the "Refined sound engine" claim on the title card. I don't know why that's even relevant to tanks, I guess they mean that echo effect that I can't even hear, or maybe that was lost in the rollback from dev branch, I don't know. All I do know is that I can barely hear my own tank movement and right at the end I looked at the top left and saw that I had been slightly damaged during the battle. I did not notice this at all. This is because of the poor state the sound engine (everything except small arms is too quiet) and also because there is virtually zero indication that you've been hit while in first person.

Helicopter

After getting shot down three times and cursing my countermeasures which don't seem to have any effect, I quit this and will probably never play it again. Though I readily concede that this is probably more to do with my general disinterest in helicopter gameplay and my consequent lack of any tactical planning.

Combined Arms

This was OK, but like the one in the Beta it didn't really live up to its name (turns out it's called Armed Assault, but it's still supposed to be combined arms). Just felt like I was doing everything. It was fine at the beginning because you're part of a squad and as sometimes happens in Arma, I didn't even fire a shot while we took the first objective. But after that you get detached from the squad and sent off with your own team to fight your own war. Then after that you literally get sent off by yourself to do something else. It should have been called FIRE TEAM or ALPHA 5 which I think is your character's callsign after he gets sent to clear some mines by himself, during which he personally talks to Papa Bear, who is presumably a company commander at the very least, on his own comms. I know what I just said about excusing the realism of these scenarios but this is the kind of thing BIS does normally, and in the context of a Combined Arms showcase it's pretty funny. The only time it might have felt like a combined effort was at one point where you have the option to call in an APC to help you, but that particular objective consists of about 5 guys manning a road block, so it's hardly necessary. I did like that part where the Bobcat moved the HEMTT wreck.

Drones

I almost didn't play this because I don't give a crap about drones, but at the start I thought it was fairly cool to recon the town with the Darter, but it was pretty annoying because there is no free-look in the camera view, so in order to identify targets you have to get lower than you'd need to if you were able to freelook. Anyway the UAV got shot down because I was trying to see if this one dude was an officer or not and I hovered too low. Didn't matter because I had already identified the main targets, a couple of AA positions. So I send in the UGV. This was where I checked out. I had given it a chain of waypoints because you can't just do an alt-click WP to see where you need to go, and even after I had deleted these waypoints it still insisted on following them, which meant I couldn't get the damn thing to hold still while I blew up the AAs. So I quit this one and will never play it again (mostly because I don't like drones).

I have to say I was expecting there to be some proper SP scenarios today. Quite disappointing.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

About the helicopter showcase, for the gunner, if your target is too far or he doesn't have a clear target because of speed, turning etc, he will shoot only shot by shot so he will not waste ammo for an impossible target, you should take him in the situation to shoot some burst, I've managed to make him kill a couple of choppers and some boats.

The flares works fine, they will not work every time if you don't use some elusive maneuvers, and even if you use them sometimes you could be hit.

When AA lock you, dive your chopper, or make a break turn and try not to lose speed, then use your flares when the AA is not too far and not too close.

And don't approach the naval base directly, if the AA lock you from the front and relative closely you are fucked.

Sorry for my bad English.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 4

nothing new here...

I think they called them showcase to show the technical possibilities of the engine, the lighting etc. I don't think they invested very much time and brain in designing logical and credible missions and I don't think they ever stated they did...

I admit that even the showcases weren't always done very properly, but imho they weren't that catastrophe a few people here see in them.

Sure, I agree that they obviously paid too much attention to them instead of fixing, tweaking more urgent issues, but always start a new rant about showcases not being these great immersive, logical, diverse mission you expected won't change them. Maybe you should live with them as they are... The campaign will be better, I am optimistic about that. And if this won't be the case then, even then the world won't crumble (at least for the most here, I assume)

Seriously, so much negative thinking would make me depressive... try to relax a bit :cool: It's healthier...

About the helicopter showcase, for the gunner, if your target is too far or he doesn't have a clear target because of speed, turning etc, he will shoot only shot by shot so he will not waste ammo for an impossible target, you should take him in the situation to shoot some burst, I've managed to make him kill a couple of choppers and some boats.

The flares works fine, they will not work every time if you don't use some elusive maneuvers, and even if you use them sometimes you could be hit.

When AA lock you, dive your chopper, or make a break turn and try not to lose speed, then use your flares when the AA is not too far and not too close.

And don't approach the naval base directly, if the AA lock you from the front and relative closely you are fucked.

Sorry for my bad English.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 4

Well I was hovering in the air aproximately 1km away from the target and he was still shooting shot by shot, I had to get really close for him to fire full auto.

I always just go to manual fire in choppers and switch back and forth between driver and gunner in tanks.

Played the Gunship showcase again just now and beat it, after a couple more times getting shot down. Ended up just flying low at 250kmph to avoid the AA locks. After that first objective it's fairly enjoyable, didn't have too many problems after that.

Again, some old complaints I don't really agree with in this thread. Yes, the showcases aren't realistic in a military way. That's because they are showcases. Most of the more casual Arma players are going to play those and not everyone wants to sit through a complete "realistic" briefing. Especially if many of those players would still rush the town regardless.

Armed Assault

I really liked this one, had a lot of fun playing it. Also the terrain/location was really nice, Altis has huge potential.

Heli

I have to admit I wasn't 100% satisfied with my gunners performance either. You are supposed to engage from far ranges and as others already mentioned, the gunner was really close-fisted with his ammo. Even on strafing runs he sometimes didn't fire a single round. Maybe those riflemen are really good at hiding inside/near buildings now.

Countermeasures don't work 100% if you are just floating there. That's how it should be.

Tanks

AI driver kept formation pretty good. Only thing I didn't like was my platoon commander. He insisted on assigning me infantry targets 800m to our rear and when my tank got damaged too much, he ordered me and my team to get out and there was no option to get in again (didn't show in action menu). Guess it would have been better to stay inside, maybe the turret was even still functioning, than to get out in midst of EI.

I think they called them showcase to show the technical possibilities of the engine, the lighting etc. I don't think they invested very much time and brain in designing logical and credible missions and I don't think they ever stated they did...

"Showcases" in Arma3 is just an arbitrary title. All single missions in previous ArmA games down to OFP were showcases of stuff ranging from vehicles to engine effects. Somehow they didn't have handholding and a horrible CoD-like combat design.

But unlike single missions in previous games which were fun and plausible, these are not.

Most of the more casual Arma players are going to play those and not everyone wants to sit through a complete "realistic" briefing. Especially if many of those players would still rush the town regardless.

Yep so let's cater the game to people who never liked how ArmA plays. Great solution.

What about players who like to play ArmA? Because there is not a single showcase for these.

Edited by metalcraze

did the pip 'direct feed' work for anyone in the Armed Assault showcase? seemed like it was just a grey box for me. I do have pip on 'low' in the options. I tried turning it up, but still nothing

did the pip 'direct feed' work for anyone in the Armed Assault showcase? seemed like it was just a grey box for me. I do have pip on 'low' in the options. I tried turning it up, but still nothing

Yup it works for me. Useless but it works.

Yup it works for me. Useless but it works.

I think what I was seeing was the drone basically looking at nothing with 'thermal'. it works fine for me in other missions

Yep so let's cater the game to people who never liked how ArmA plays. Great solution.

What about players who like to play ArmA? Because there is not a single showcase for these.

Well, those "elite Arma fans" always proud themselves that they don't care about SP and didn't finish a BIS campaign since OFP. Why complain now?

Dude for once metalcraze has a valid point (Yeah I can´t believe it either :p )

Why make missions that cater to the Generic FPS/quick Action crowd? The Tank showcase is designed in a way that you can´t play it realistic even if you want to. I tried staying behind providing overwatch for the other tanks but the mission doesn´t seem to proceed if you are not rushing too.

Dude for once metalcraze has a valid point (Yeah I can´t believe it either :p )

Why make missions that cater to the Generic FPS/quick Action crowd? The Tank showcase is designed in a way that you can´t play it realistic even if you want to. I tried staying behind providing overwatch for the other tanks but the mission doesn´t seem to proceed if you are not rushing too.

I really don't understand how they could design such bad showcases. i tried too to stay away but the commander always rushed to that damn village. and of course they got stuck in houses/rocks.

and the infantry running over the battlefield without even aa...that's just plain ridiculous

I feel that the showcases are there because something has to be there. They feel rushed, done because they have to be done. Without a soul, atmosphere... although i have to say i've got big hopes for the campaign. A person responsible for it made some GREAT campaigns for Arma(look for Operation Cobalt or Blood on the Sand)

I liked Armed Assault showcase.

Gunship was too easy.

Didn't really like tank showcase - could have been better.

Didn't test Drones showcase.

Well I really hope that these showcases are not an indication of how the campaign will be....

"Showcases" in Arma3 is just an arbitrary title. All single missions in previous ArmA games down to OFP were showcases of stuff ranging from vehicles to engine effects. Somehow they didn't have handholding and a horrible CoD-like combat design.

But unlike single missions in previous games which were fun and plausible, these are not.

100% agree. I don't like the showcases except supports one, for the reasons you stated.

I'm very dissapointed with the missions.

Well I really hope that these showcases are not an indication of how the campaign will be....

I hope so...

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Just sayin'

I was always been a fan of OFP and Arma series, i've been here in community for years and i know that there are a lot of guys who really loves ofp, arma, arma 2, warfare, on and on here...

But i have only one thing to say.

After downloading it from a tor... i'm glad i didn't buy this.

270 km^2 of water, nearly no recoil rifles (there was recoil in alpha, wtf) and other things don't worth it, sorry to say this.

No recoil? Are you serious? In fact I think the assault rifles have too much recoil.

And the island is great.

How can 270km^2 with 50% of water be great?

You sir are another fun boy.

Trust me, this game will get a lower rating than all previous arma series... but even when everyone will rate it low, you fanboys will be the ones who jump around and scream "THIS GAME IS COOL YOU F** I WILL FIND YOU IRL GO PLAY COD".

Trust me, this game will get a lower rating than all previous arma series... but even when everyone will rate it low, you fanboys will be the ones who jump around and scream "THIS GAME IS COOL YOU F** I WILL FIND YOU IRL GO PLAY COD".

Have you read my last post where I criticize the showcases before calling me fan boy?

Dude, criticizing is ok, but get your facts right. The MAP of Altis is close to 1000 square kilometers with a LANDMASS of 270 square kilometers. Seriously, i do not understand how people, of ALL the things criticize Altis first. If there are things you could criticize then it's the promises that were made regarding content, the bugs or the netcode that hasnt been revised at all.

But seriously? Altis? Yes, i will say f*** that map is awesome and a masterpiece, no matter if that makes me a fanboy or whatever.

Edited by Kavoriken

Guys, lets keep this OT, he will get banned anyway for playing with a cracked copy. Oh and Kordax, ever heard of "Degrade", or FADE? Might explain your recoil issues (or you were shooting SMGs). And yes I think there is too much recoil on some weapons.