STALKERGB

STALKERGB's British Infantry

Good thing you asked MistyRobin!

I went on a EPIC search through my browser history, almost two weeks back, but I found it! Turns out I had my Bullpups mixed up! The rifle I was thinking of was the Famas, not the Sa80. Here's the source though, good old wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAMAS#Future_replacement - under the Future Replacement section. Apologies Everyone and Mr.Stalker. The question however stands...are you using the Sa80 for nostalgia purposes(have people indicated that they want it this way) or is simply because the outstanding quality of Kiory's Rifle fits the outstanding quality of your troops so nicely. After all we can add what we want through scripting, however Arma 3 have introduced more people to the Armaverse than ever before, I'm just wondering if forcing a new player to learn how to use the init/scripting commands straight of the bat, merely to replace a rifle that is surely not gonna be used anymore, is maybe gonna scare of too many people that will already be overwhelmed by the complexity of the game compared to other FPS-ish games.

BTW MistyRain, that was a interesting article. Cheers.

Personally i can't see the SA80 been replaced by British Armed Forces, especially when the Armed Forces are going through spending cuts. In a future scenario i can see the SA80 would still be used, perhaps an upgraded modern version, but at present i can't see it been replaced.

@InstaGoat/AMS Agent 000,

Thanks for the explanation, like I say, the proportions are the way they are largely because my models were made initially when there was only A1/2 stuff for reference, I'll look at trying to change it up a bit.

@Lost_Samurai,

The use of Kiory's SA80 was because it's currently the primary firearm used by British Infantry and seeing as my models represent contemporary troops it was fitting to include them. As and when other SA80's, specifically more complete sets of them are finished I'll look at changing to something that doesn't mean every soldier has the same gun!

I'm far from an expert on the matter but there always seems to be talk of replacing the SA80, I can't see it actually happening any time soon though, it doesn't seem like there's anything on the market that offers a big enough improvement that can justify the expense of switching. I'd have guessed until there is a large jump forward in some form of rifle technology, you won't seethe Brits change.

I've been using the SA80 since 1986... I had to convert my unit from SLR to it. We didn't like it then, (didn't want to lose our trusty SLR's).

After the novelty had worn off it was obvious it had problems. We all thought we would go back to the SLR, but after the A2 version came out it did iron out some of the problems.

It all comes down to this really, the SA80's Bullpup design is a sophisticated weapon system, unlike the AK or SLR, it therefore needed more care and attention from the soldier. I always thought that my SLR or AK for that matter would still work, even if dropped it a muddy stream bed... I didn't have the same confidence in my SA80, sadly...

Happy to say though, for the last 2yrs after leaving the army I am still using the SLR for my present job :)

Well the speculation is that the Sa80 will be replaced with the F2000 ( already ingame ) or the hk G36. Here you have for example an article in the Daily Mail.

This article's more than 10 years old now. 13 years of constant operational experience with the SA80 A2 in our armed forces and a number of incremental improvements to the weapon's accessories (which are currently continuing under FIST 1A and FIST 2) has somewhat dispelled much of the lack of confidence in the weapon that was a problem back then.

The issues raised in seeking a replacement for the rifle now are a matter of the SA80s outdated design - things like its weight, the clunkiness of various mechanisms such as the trigger group, and issues of whether 5.56mm is the right calibre for the UK and NATO allies.

Out-of-service date for the SA80 isn't expected to be until around the 2025 period - by which times things like G36, F2000 etc. that were cutting edge 10 years ago, will be pretty outdated 30 year old designs. There isn't currently enough perceivable difference between current 5.56mm service rifles in the world to justify the cost of replacing SA80 with something so similar. Things like XM-8 and SCAR-L were dropped in the US, in favour of just improving M4s for this very reason, and the UK is taking this approach in improving SA80 until something really beneficial comes along in terms of small-arms development.

General belief is that a full replacement for the UK's standard service rifle probably wont happen until the US chooses a calibre to replace 5.56mm, and we can adopt a new calibre and service rifle alongside a couple of other NATO allies.

Out-of-service date for the SA80 isn't expected to be until around the 2025 period - by which times things like G36, F2000 etc. that were cutting edge 10 years ago, will be pretty outdated 30 year old designs. There isn't currently enough perceivable difference between current 5.56mm service rifles in the world to justify the cost of replacing SA80 with something so similar. Things like XM-8 and SCAR-L were dropped in the US, in favour of just improving M4s for this very reason, and the UK is taking this approach in improving SA80 until something really beneficial comes along in terms of small-arms development.

Exactly why Kiory is making a NEW version of the Sa80/L85 if you look on the WIP addons, this will also include a GL variant, now that will help this mod to life. So basically all that Stalker needs to do is Update it to use that version when it comes out.

UPDATE:

I've had very little time to sit down and do any much of anything recently but I have managed to update my config a little:

-Makes use of Kiory's new SA80s (specifically the SUSAT and Standard Iron Sight variants)

-Have changed the classnames for backpacks, have replaced ALL "Brit_" prefixes with "STKR_", annoyed that slipped through into the first release.

Anyway, below is a link to the new config which is all you will need if you already have the addon, just overwrite the previous files:

New Config for Infantry (4kb)

I've also update the whole addon pack to use the new config so that's here if anyone wants to download it, it also contains my .bikey in case anyone couldnt find it on OFPEC:

Whole Addon with new config and .bikey (97mb)

Edited by STALKERGB

Updated release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

** The config is also available as a seperate download on the downloadpage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Okay here's my issue, not sure what's going on, I've got your units (great by the way), and the SA80, but everytime i place one of your units i get "no cfg l85a2_s found" or whatever it is, and then when i spawn no weapon as expected with therror, i then downloaded the SUSAT addon and put the files in my SA80 addons folder, but still no luck in the editor, any help?

Okay here's my issue, not sure what's going on, I've got your units (great by the way), and the SA80, but everytime i place one of your units i get "no cfg l85a2_s found" or whatever it is, and then when i spawn no weapon as expected with therror, i then downloaded the SUSAT addon and put the files in my SA80 addons folder, but still no luck in the editor, any help?

I'm having the same issue.

I have another issue... the GB units doesn´t have Kiory´s custom 5.56 magazines on their vests, only ArmA3 vanilla 5.56 mags (which were used by old kiory´s SA80)

Propably your config is not listing Kiory´s mags on the soldier´s loadout!

I'm having the same issue.

Figured it out, seemed to work when i moved the new sa80 download into my old sa80 folder.

@Frogtop and Imperator_Pete, not sure what would cause that but I'd suggest making sure you are using the newest version of Kiory's new SA80, haven't followed it closely but I think he merged his original release with the SUSAT addon. The download currently linked in his release thread here is the one I tested with.

@Corporal_lib, i intentionally left the BIS stanag mags on my units so they can pick up other weapons and still have ammunition to use them, Kiory's latest SA80 version works with default stanag 5.56 anyway doesn't it?

@Corporal_lib, i intentionally left the BIS stanag mags on my units so they can pick up other weapons and still have ammunition to use them, Kiory's latest SA80 version works with default stanag 5.56 anyway doesn't it?

Nope, he made custom mags.

I made custom mags, but it also uses the default mags.

Im having a glitch, not sure if its your mod or the l85a2, but i think its yours, the medic and AT soldiers are the only ones spawning with an L85a2 and have no mags for it

Kinda wish they wouldn't though, as that'd give the false impression that this is what nations will get in VBS3.

That's what they do, I blew up in the VBS forums about falsely advertising VBS2 "tech demo" when they were clearly using ArmA2 footage and splicing in VBS2 footage such as 3D Editor/RTE .. (which we still don't have a functioning one 5 years later.. lol) But I better stop before the ban hammer comes....

StalkerGB great job mate, really love this addon when I see your name attached to a project I know its quality.

;2562824']That's what they do' date=' I blew up in the VBS forums about falsely advertising VBS2 "tech demo" when they were clearly using ArmA2 footage and splicing in VBS2 footage such as 3D Editor/RTE .. (which we still don't have a functioning one 5 years later.. lol) But I better stop before the ban hammer comes...[/quote']

Have you realize that VBS2 use almost the same graphic engine as Arma2? And for what it seems VBS3 uses Arma3 one. What BIS do is take the "game" and convert it to an Army training software.

You could say that VBS is a tuned version of the game for the gov use, which is perfectly legit, its their product after all.

Have you realize that VBS2 use almost the same graphic engine as Arma2? And for what it seems VBS3 uses Arma3 one. What BIS do is take the "game" and convert it to an Army training software.

You could say that VBS is a tuned version of the game for the gov use, which is perfectly legit, its their product after all.

Have you realize that VBS2 use almost the same graphic engine as Arma2?

VBS2 was built on the Armed Assault engine (RV2) then it was recently upgraded to somewhat A2 engine VBS2.0 .

It feels, moves or looks nothing like A2 even after the upgrade.

And for what it seems VBS3 uses Arma3 one.

If history repeats itself as it often does VBS3 will be built off of RV3 (ARMA 2).

I was commenting on how they used STALKERGB British Infantry as a screenshot on VBS3 Product PDF, as it has nothing to do with VBS3 and antoineflemming pointed out " give the false impression that this is what nations will get in VBS3.". The same as they used Chenarus on the VBS2 tech demos among many other things that are not in VBS2.

But ANYWAYS .. back on Topic ...

Edited by Sig [USMC]

Im having a glitch, not sure if its your mod or the l85a2, but i think its yours, the medic and AT soldiers are the only ones spawning with an L85a2 and have no mags for it

Hmm, sounds like you need to update the SA80 mod you are using, I've configged my units to use default magazines with the SA80s and AFAIK it wasn't until the second update of Kiory's SA80 that he included the ability for them to use default magazine. TBH been out of the loop for a while so he may have since update again.

@ProGamer/anyone else, I can't actually follow the link you provided so would it be possible to either send me an image of the page or a different link?