Sign in to follow this  
John_Lennon

PvP: CTF & CQB Missions

Hi people

I'm from the Good Gamers X-Rated Clan (GGX), we played Clanwars in the early days of Operation Flashpoint and enjoyed it ;-) The good old TNT-League might be something the VETs heard about it.

First of all, I'm impressed about ARMA III, i like the new soldier Animations and the infantry movements. I enjoyed a lot of CTI Wars and C+H Maps last days.

My wish is to let a CQB/CTF Community grow up beside the COOP-Community with Clanwars and Leagues. I plan to create CTF-Maps and I would have allready startet creating some maps if I was a programmer. I created many maps for Operation Flashpoint and an Island called Lipovac for the TNT-League. I forgot allmost everything about Mapmaking, and I guess some things changed since ARMA.

1. Are you interessted in mapmaking and would you love to see a small CQB-Community growing up within ARMA III with Clanwars and Leagues? Please answer.

2. Is there any template for CTF Maps? How should I start?

3. Did you see any good scripted CTF Maps which I could use as a template?

Thanks and see u on the battlefield ;-)

GGX John Lennon

I am very interested in getting this game mode going. I am also pretty new to scripting but I have actually just last week started making some CTF missions. There is no template for A3, so I am basing mine off an A2 template with some changes and additions. I just finished the basic CTF mode the other day and it seems to work properly but i have not yet tested with many players. Add me on steam if you want: Silens

Theres a few of us from SBS who have the game and would love to play CTF. But a lot of the SBS members are reluctant to buy it due to the decline in CTF maps being played. In OFP there were plenty and the leagues such as TNT were great. We did try and kick start a CTF arma 2 league but it was hard work getting the interest from other clans.

SBS will definitely love to be involved some capacity and I wish you every luck in getting people interested.

Unfortunately not sure if A3 still have teams for any clan vs clan matches or some new/old teams joining the scene.

While A3 is a decent base for many reasons there seem rather limit interest in teams in A3 and teams around at all.

We try to get ESL host leagues for the game: http://www.esl.eu/eu/forum/139/166/1133154/

Maybe this would attract a few more teams.

Hi people

I'm from the Good Gamers X-Rated Clan (GGX), we played Clanwars in the early days of Operation Flashpoint and enjoyed it ;-) The good old TNT-League might be something the VETs heard about it.

First of all, I'm impressed about ARMA III, i like the new soldier Animations and the infantry movements. I enjoyed a lot of CTI Wars and C+H Maps last days.

My wish is to let a CQB/CTF Community grow up beside the COOP-Community with Clanwars and Leagues. I plan to create CTF-Maps and I would have allready startet creating some maps if I was a programmer. I created many maps for Operation Flashpoint and an Island called Lipovac for the TNT-League. I forgot allmost everything about Mapmaking, and I guess some things changed since ARMA.

1. Are you interessted in mapmaking and would you love to see a small CQB-Community growing up within ARMA III with Clanwars and Leagues? Please answer.

2. Is there any template for CTF Maps? How should I start?

3. Did you see any good scripted CTF Maps which I could use as a template?

Thanks and see u on the battlefield ;-)

GGX John Lennon

Hi John, I believe a few of us in SBS have the game and I am pretty sure we would be up for some scrims eventually, however we do not yet have a server, and as I am just back from an 18 month gaming sabbatical I am not sure where SBS stand on this yet, please feel free to drop into our forums for a chat about this.

http://sbs-clan.co.uk/forum/forum.php

Thanks for your answers!

I'm back from Holidays now ;-)

Altis has some nice places for some good CQB. We should follow the steps to be successful:

- The CTF-Maps should be scripted as good as possible for good performance

- No Addons required

- "Easy to play" => jump in the game and play. Not too many options for the players to choose: 1-3 Weapons / no uniform options / may be 1 Nade per player/round/ etc.

- "Easy to play" => avoid friendly fire => east team has red barret and west team blue ones. I saw that on a map called CTF Napalm (was quiet good). As the uniforms now look quiet the same, how ever the light is.

- Every map starts with the same kind of Intro which is SHORT & BEAUTIFUL with any logo/tag. Could be a CQB-Logo. WE CREATE THE ARMA3-CQB-EXPERIENCE.

- Every CTF-Map has the same name/tag at the beginning. f.E. [CQB]CTF-Kavala / [CQB]CTF-St.Pierre / [CQB]CTF-Altis (and we should have some servers running this maps. Ppl will start looking for it if they like it)

We can also make some special CTF-Maps like CTF-Everon was with one Tank per side and 2 LAW-Soldiers... or put in 1 Jeep per side which will not respawn when its broken.

I work as a graphic designer and i make movies. I could help with the logos, make some little movies to attract more people..

what you think?

(sry for my english, i'm a swiss cheese) ;-)

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

Hi John, I believe a few of us in SBS have the game and I am pretty sure we would be up for some scrims eventually, however we do not yet have a server, and as I am just back from an 18 month gaming sabbatical I am not sure where SBS stand on this yet, please feel free to drop into our forums for a chat about this.

http://sbs-clan.co.uk/forum/forum.php

good to see you Delta :-D ... would be even better to see on the Battlefield :-D

Hey up John, I for one would def be interested, cant beat some quality competitive play, any other GGX members around ?

Hey up John, I for one would def be interested, cant beat some quality competitive play, any other GGX members around ?

heyyyy Taxman :-D Good to see you :-) Yes, we got Figaro, Spanky, Zerberus, Satan and may be Westy :-) and 1-2 more.. its funny, i got a Band called THE FOOLS (www.thefools.ch) we play our own songs and 2-3 covers... TAXMAN from The Beatles is one of our covers :-D .. how are you mate? :-)

---------- Post added at 05:08 ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 ----------

;2508853']Unfortunately not sure if A3 still have teams for any clan vs clan matches or some new/old teams joining the scene.

While A3 is a decent base for many reasons there seem rather limit interest in teams in A3 and teams around at all.

We try to get ESL host leagues for the game: http://www.esl.eu/eu/forum/139/166/1133154/

Maybe this would attract a few more teams.

Hi kju

Are you the skilled scripter who made CTF Napalm? :-) If yes, you should be the one who creates the final CTF-Template. I think we should have a good concept before we release the maps... Therefore we could make a little skype-meeting or chat to discuss what should be included in the maps etc. What you think?

To reach as many people as possible, we should present the ctf & c&h maps as the "ARMA 3 CQB Experience". It will be the first REALISTIC CQB Game compared to COD & Battlefield.. When we got the maps ready, some servers up, Dslyx could help us to promote it..

I think your idea with ESL-League is very good :-)

We are good john, if there is enough CTF interest then I rekon we'll put up a server CTF only, just waiting for more interest.

had some map-testing yesterday [CQB]-[CTF]-St.Pierre-20 ...was really funny to play a CTF like in the good old days :-D .. ARMA III is definitely ready and able for some good CQB.

The map will be updated the next days and tested again.. when its ready I'll go for the next CTF Map ;-)

CTF in my opinion is conceptually flawed in realistic games. And in practice, every CTF I played in ArmA 2/3 didn't result in any flag captures unless one of the teams was seriously not even remotely trying to keep their flag. When you spawn close to your own flag and far from the enemy flag in a game where movement and weapon accuracy and deadliness is anywhere near realistic, there is simply no practical way to even reach the flag alive, not to mention drag it all the way back to your own. Every time I was in a CTF it was being played more like a TDM with fixed spawns, which I guess is OK too, but might as well make it as a TDM to begin with...

I guess you didnt play too many ctf's then galzohar, VERY rare was it that two sides were so evenly matched that a team didnt score a flag and I have been playing CTFs since OFP some of the best maps/missions I have ever played in were league matches, plenty of adrenalin flowing and most matches on a best of 3 scenario would last a few hours shame you never got to experience it buddy, I think you would have changed your mind regards to CTF.

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

had some map-testing yesterday [CQB]-[CTF]-St.Pierre-20 ...was really funny to play a CTF like in the good old days :-D .. ARMA III is definitely ready and able for some good CQB.

The map will be updated the next days and tested again.. when its ready I'll go for the next CTF Map ;-)

Any chance you could send me some of those John (sbs_taxman@ntlworld.com) just got our server up and running and looking for some decent CTF's, Delta said he played the St P one and enjoyed it. :)

CTF in my opinion is conceptually flawed in realistic games. And in practice, every CTF I played in ArmA 2/3 didn't result in any flag captures unless one of the teams was seriously not even remotely trying to keep their flag. When you spawn close to your own flag and far from the enemy flag in a game where movement and weapon accuracy and deadliness is anywhere near realistic, there is simply no practical way to even reach the flag alive, not to mention drag it all the way back to your own. Every time I was in a CTF it was being played more like a TDM with fixed spawns, which I guess is OK too, but might as well make it as a TDM to begin with...

Although on some level I don't like seeing the premium competitive game mode of yesteryear being criticized like that, I have to slightly agree. The respawn aspect has always been one of the less pleasant things to deal with, no matter whether you're defending, attacking or making the mission. A reverse CTF concept would fit the series much better because the trouble is seldom getting to the enemy flag, but escaping from the premises after taking it, which usually boils down to either luck or camping the enemy respawn routes. The respawn issue should at least in theory be alleviated with multiple selectable respawn points inside a zone that only your side can enter but the enemy can shoot in if they see you: it would take much of the annoying metalevel aspect away from offensive/close defense tactics.

In every game-mode there are some weak spots.

Common ones are spawn-camping or the "struggle to get that flag back" having minions running-fresh from their spawn.

On the spawn camping problem the natural counter measure is a slight fracture of teamwork aka "Don't let them to push you in the corner"

or "Have some guys in the back"

*between us that never was a problem because lot of guys momentarily decide to stay in the back for a while..

On the "Struggle to get that flag back" ..mirrored rules apply

Have your team to suppress effectively the enemy team on their spawn-minimizing the possible threats in the way of flag runner.

Summarizing..

I really can't see 'cons' in classic rules game-modes - the only way is to adapt -as all people do-

Edited by GiorgyGR

I don't understand why we should think of CTF as an old/dated game mode. The CTF mode (or the game itself for that matter) has barely changed since OFP and there's no reason why it can't be as successful now as it was back then.

Spawn camping and getting the flag away have always been there so these are not new issues and we've successful played with these issues even in a competitive nature. We've been involved with CTF leagues right up to Arma 2 and it was clear that well organised teams coupled with skillful players would be more successful so no....stalemates are not the norm.

One thing I will say though is that CTF doesn't always work as well as a public game. I suspect Galzohar has joined a public CTF game where there's likely to be no comms and most people playing headless chicken. However, put 2 clans/teams together in a competitive match and I personally think you have one of the best game modes out there.

I also like the fact you can join a game for 30 minutes and have an outcome whereas you join some games where you can travel around an island for hours with next to no action at all.

Yes CTF basically is WAY more serious than a TDM. ('s-a-fact)

It has the same enjoyment and tension of fast gameplay while it adds the paragon of 'Flag' that involves teamwork/skill/strategy.

After a successful flag run ..you WILL feel the Endorphins unleashed on your body ('s-a-fact /2)

I guess you didnt play too many ctf's then galzohar, VERY rare was it that two sides were so evenly matched that a team didnt score a flag and I have been playing CTFs since OFP some of the best maps/missions I have ever played in were league matches, plenty of adrenalin flowing and most matches on a best of 3 scenario would last a few hours shame you never got to experience it buddy, I think you would have changed your mind regards to CTF.

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

Any chance you could send me some of those John (sbs_taxman@ntlworld.com) just got our server up and running and looking for some decent CTF's, Delta said he played the St P one and enjoyed it. :)

Yo :-D

Map is not finished yet. When everything works and i got a solid version, I'll send you the one! ;-) And later I'll make some more maps..

CTF pwns!!!! :-D

Looking forward to it, I have had an early copy from Delta to play with for the time being.. nice one buddy....

Yes, spawn camping had always been there. It's just no longer acceptable for a game mode to have spawn camping as a part of it. People expect better (not everyone, but more and more people do expect it as years pass).

Yes ..you are also right.

Although we have learned to adapt/play with it..i m still getting complaints from seasoned team members about this.

Maybe things should change in a positive way (but NOT a compromising one)

I guess..some of us are kinda-old guys..but i think we still maintain the ability to learn

and adapt to new things and strategies-especially if this promotes fair game with less exploits

and fun . :)

Yes, spawn camping had always been there. It's just no longer acceptable for a game mode to have spawn camping as a part of it. People expect better (not everyone, but more and more people do expect it as years pass).

Spawn-Camping is for my understanding, when you can get killed at the place you have spawned.. Thats for sure unwanted.. In a good CTF-Map your spawn is protected and you got many different ways to get out of the spawn to the "fight-area".

The map [CQB]-[CTF-20]St-Pierre-v1-01 is finished now. I sent you the pbo Taxman! ;-) GGX has also a Server, we have to set it up first. Cu soon ;-)

more maps will follow!

Cheers John, will put it up today, maybe we can organise a friendly one night ? sundays are popular with us but we are short on numbers while the guys are sorting their shit out,

Cheers John, will put it up today, maybe we can organise a friendly one night ? sundays are popular with us but we are short on numbers while the guys are sorting their shit out,

fine :-D Sunday sounds good! I'll communicate it. A friendly-war is the perfect method to learn the map and to find out if it needs some improvement!

THIS SUNDAY, 10-06-2013, SBS vs. GGX, on SBS Server ;-) 4v4, 5v5, 6v6?