Are there plans for visual effects if NOT wearing eye protection? I like the effects you have on the glasses, but a player not wearing any has no disadvantage. (Just noticed you said there is mild saturation-couldn't notice it.)

Thinking back to ace in arma2, kicked up dust from rotor wash caused vision to blur and player to cough. Could a build up of dust cause unprotected eyes to lose colour and peripheral perception, and debris to cause short turn blurring, or until the player wipes their eyes clear?

also, why disable the effect in 3rd person? Bypasses the benefit/immersion if the mod (if you allow 3rd person)

I like where this is going though. Stops eyewear being just a cosmetic choice, and adds more game immersion with the debris and dust. Well done!

There are plans to have pros and cons to both wearing and not wearing glasses, as I said before I haven't found a nice way of having cons to no glasses, a lot of people disable blur and it also drops frames a bit so I've been avoiding that which generally leaves me with simple colour changes for the most part.

That was requested so I provided, if you check the userconfig in Arma 3/userconfig/LHM you can enable it in third person by changing the relevant option.

a lot of people disable blur and it also drops frames a bit so I've been avoiding that which generally leaves me with simple colour changes for the most part

Yup, i get your point and limitations. I also love this mod, so here's few ideas that came to my mind recently. They're in now way optimal, but it's better than nothing.

You should use more overlays.

You know when a grenade explode close to you in vanilla ArmA 3, a mixed texture of blood and dust appears on the player screen and fades away in about 10-20 seconds or so.

Take this concept as a base and apply it for virtually anything.

Shooting in prone ? Dust spots on the screen, fade in about 30 seconds or so, or more, try to find a sweet spot where it's enough time to be considered as an inconvenience for a non-glasses wearing player.

Shooting in prone with glasses ? Same thing, dust spots on the screen BUT you can clean them using the said clean function ( + it looks great and immersive with the animation you did ) and remove the effect instantly( or a very small fade amount after the animation, so the effect doesn't suddenly, and oddly disappears )

I mean, shooting in prone is so common in A3, that feature alone would be a pretty solid reason to wear glasses if you have this mod installed.

Explosion close to the player ? Try to play in Photoshop to produce, again, an overlay. It's just a texture so you can do virtually anything. Something annoying ( but no bad looking ) enough to incommode a player not wearing glasses.

Wearing glasses ? This effect does not appears. Just some dust kicking in.

You can also use plain black screens and mess around with low fade times. To simulate the player blinking, or getting dust in his eyes.

This kind of things. If you can't mess with blur, mess with textures. Color and saturation modifications are just not enough, sure, they're somewhat inconvenient, but not to the point of carving deep " SHIT I FORGOT MY GLASSES IN A WARZONE " into the player brain.

Sorry for poor english.

Edited by Drakenof

I like the concept of this mod. Glasses should have a real use. And there should be a trade-off between wearing them (having to cope with dusty goggles) and not wearing them (being temporarily blinded by gettting dirt in the eyes).

Sunglasses should minimize the sun-glare, etc. But glasses get dirty over time and they shouldn't automatically clean. They should only become clean when the wiping animation is played.

Shooting from the prone position should not automatically produce a dirt layer on the screen.

Nearby explosions and dust clouds, sand storms, and the like should cause dirt layers on glasses - again removable only with the proper animation. Dust in the unprotected eye would probably force you to close the eyes (let the screen go black) or make them water (produce a distorted picture). These effects should go away after some time without any activity of the player. It might be interesting to randomize these effects a bit. Perhaps you could introduce squinting by showing basically a black screen overlay with a small unobscured area in the middle of the screen. It could be triggered with the same keystroke that triggers the wiping of glasses animation. By squinting a player who isn't wearing glasses would actively limit his visibility but he could see perfectly normal immediately after the explosion. A player without glasses who forgets to squint his eyes would have a risk of, say 33% that he cannot see anything for maybe 2 minutes after the explosion.

Also glasses getting foggy here and there when weather is rainy would add to realism...

If you could get the mask to look like this I would love this mod but for now with the transparency and the obvious angles and lack of texture shading it's a miss for me I am afraid.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=mask+on+character+game&client=firefox-a&hs=rB7&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UkMfU6-uAePH7AaqmIHwCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=933#channel=sb&q=1st+person+mask&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=hAp5V-74TsRcYM%253A%3Bqy_P6__tigwQJM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia.moddb.com%252Fimages%252Fmods%252F1%252F21%252F20073%252F123605395-3.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.serellan.com%252Fforums%252Findex.php%253F%252Ftopic%252F2164-first-person-view-ui%252F%3B640%3B400

or

https://www.google.ie/search?q=mask+on+character+game&client=firefox-a&hs=rB7&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UkMfU6-uAePH7AaqmIHwCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=933#channel=sb&q=1st+person+mask&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=hAp5V-74TsRcYM%3A%3B8YasOOtgJYSSWM%3BhAp5V-74TsRcYM%3A&imgrc=hAp5V-74TsRcYM%253A%3Bqy_P6__tigwQJM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia.moddb.com%252Fimages%252Fmods%252F1%252F21%252F20073%252F123605395-3.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.serellan.com%252Fforums%252Findex.php%253F%252Ftopic%252F2164-first-person-view-ui%252F%3B640%3B400

I am not knocking your working at all it's just if you could hit the standard of the above shots I would be your number one fan, keep up the good work and thank you.

Edited by Dav

The transparency is required because any custom overlay obstructs UI elements, this is a "bug" of sorts and the ticket is currently being processed. Until this is resolved we'll have to live with transparency.

Yes well hopefully Bis sort this out ASAP. Goggles, gas masks and balaclavas all should have really immersive first person view points.

Yeah, as Bakerman stated, it is mostly due to a current limitation within the ArmA engine. Feedback Issue, which was assigned a while ago but no word on progress.

Version 2.2.0 update

Changelog:

• Added 2 degrees of dust
  • Added rotor wash
  • Added Glasses_ prefix to all functions, now: LHM_fnc_Glasses_XXX
  • Added new config entry LHM_EyeProtection, used in CfgGlasses and CfgWeapons for headwear (only used for rotor wash currently)
  • Reduced overlay for combat goggles
  • Reduced overlay for diving goggles
  • Reduced rain overlays
  • Fixed weird on/off glasses issue when in boats

Thanks a lot for informing us about the updated version :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Love it.

Good work.

Will there be more support for other glasses, like the normal ones?

The sunshades could protect the eyes, not like in Vanilla.

Just an Idea ;)

Edited by DerBiwi

New overlay is great, well done.

And a video of the rotor wash effect added in 2.2.0

Hi, first of all, let me tell you that I love your mod! It is great work and thank you for that!

But if I may do a request/suggestion here, you should change the color of the tactical glasses. You made them yellow, while in game they are black. It wasn't bothering me since I wasn't using them, but now since there is mods that make them usefull (HUD display mods) it is kind of annoying to see everything in yellow, especially since they are black in game. So I think they should more looks like black sunglasses or something like this.

Thank you for your time.

Update 2.2.1

Changelog:

• Reduced and adjusted various glasses colour
  • Fixed dust appearing on screen for seemingly no reason
  • Adjusted the handler for when to remove the effects when killed
  • Made changes to how dusty surfaces are calculated should work across the board now.
  • Dust in eyes has degrees of effects

Hey LordHeart, are you considering adding Cunico´s gas masks in your configs (as an optional config), so we could enjoy your effects and overlays on them too?

Great work as always, can´t play Arma3 without ;)

cheers!

@Corporal_Lib, I have not yet. However, support can be added from either side. It was designed to be modder friendly to allow other modders to add visual effects so they don't have to go through the process of setting it all up and accounting for various factors.

@Sonsalt6, thanks for updating it on PWS.

Thanks a lot for the headsup about the new version :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

A big thank you to Foxhound for hosting.

Everyone else be sure to check their video on LHM Glasses