Sign in to follow this  
Mrframeurwatch

How will severs play out in ArmA 3?

I was looking at information on ArmA 3 servers, and i'm kinda scared to play ArmA 3 online. I have only got into ArmA 2 recently and are still pretty poor at it, but it seems that ArmA 3 isn't going to be new-comer friendly.

Also I liked ArmA 2, but i could never join a server as the ping was always too high, which I think it has something to do with me being in Australia. That's why when I get ArmA 3, im going to try and make a private non-dedicated non-steam server for me and my friend that me and him can play on.

Im wondering if there are any tutorials to make a non-dedicated non-steam ArmA 3 server and if there will be? As in ArmA 2, the only tutorials that existed were of dedicated servers.

Just start the game go to > play > multiplayer > new > change from LAN to Internet > set password if you want.

Then your friend just needs to filter for your PC name or you can invite him.

I was looking at information on ArmA 3 servers, and i'm kinda scared to play ArmA 3 online. I have only got into ArmA 2 recently and are still pretty poor at it, but it seems that ArmA 3 isn't going to be new-comer friendly.

Also I liked ArmA 2, but i could never join a server as the ping was always too high, which I think it has something to do with me being in Australia. That's why when I get ArmA 3, im going to try and make a private non-dedicated non-steam server for me and my friend that me and him can play on.

Im wondering if there are any tutorials to make a non-dedicated non-steam ArmA 3 server and if there will be? As in ArmA 2, the only tutorials that existed were of dedicated servers.

Arma 3 is not worth buying unless you play it online. Arma 3 is also has one of the best newbie oriented communities as well ( not including dayz and wasteland, since that's where the sqeakers and trolls hide). I've yet to play a server where a new player asks something and the other players don't help.

Arma 3 is not worth buying unless you play it online.

I strongly disagree. I spend countless hours in the editor and playing community's missions.

That's your opinion mate but it is totally wrong (in my opinion).

^^ This. I rarely play online HOWEVER, I host MP games for myself (I know that sounds odd) with VTS.

Never played online since CWC shell.co.uk on gamespy lobby for those that remember that server ,(dont know who ownde it but good times ) and still buying them and enjoying them :).

Watch Dyslexi, TheDevilDogGamer or others on YouTube to see some awesome online Arma3 action (and Arma 2). I like SP, Coop or MP depending on my mood and the time I have available (which is limited).

cj

Arma 3 is not worth buying unless you play it online. Arma 3 is also has one of the best newbie oriented communities as well ( not including dayz and wasteland, since that's where the sqeakers and trolls hide). I've yet to play a server where a new player asks something and the other players don't help.

I have been playing since OFP, expending probably thousands of hours ( 200 h only in A3 ), and I never played online. Though I have no doubt it has to be an interesting experience for some people, I wouldn't say in any way that it is not worth buying for SP.

That depends. There are many, many old schoolers who don't even play the game online anymore, but delve into the editor & mod making rather. It's like a whole different side of the coin once you get into those things. The possibilities for making missions for example are limitless. Any combat scenario that you can think of, can be realized within the editor. The editor is very addicting. Writing code is very addictive too, even at the novice level.

Any info on official BIS servers? what game modes and max capacity a single server has like in domination.. What was the maximum they could carry in A2 anyways?

Isn't the max player size in arma mp somewhere above 100 players. I know the max number units is greater but that's different, or am I completely mistaken?

I used to frequently play with well over 100 players in TvT campaigns. That was in Arma1 and Arma2 had a few servers go well over 100 participants. It all depends on who's making the scenarios. They can make it for 10 people only or 150 if they wish. It's just up to the server to handle that many =)