fred41

Arma3 and the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag (memory allocation > 2GB)

new 1.38 RC will introduce also updated TBB allocator to 4.3u2 , shall fix some rare random crashes in default allocator

thus it would be best if Fred41's allocator get same 'upgrade' too ...

Seems like something is already happening in the dev branch? http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22315

I couldn't launch the game until trying multiple times.

I needed to disable this thing:

use regedit to create/set DWORD value 'UseLargePages' = 1, for key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\arma3.exe]

And now things work again.

I can confirm the crashing.

I just tried at least 10 times each; UseLargePages=1 didn't work once, UseLargePages=0 worked every time.

The funny thing is that the game crashes only right after a fresh restart. If the system has been up for a while, it works again. :confused:

Is it because the RAM fragments, so the game can't even try to use large pages? Therefore no more crashing.

remember you need always change the flag on the .exe otherwise it will crash on Windows 7 / Server 2008

so if we have the current version of freds ram allocator, what do we need to do? im assuming I can expect crashing when the a3 update hits? if so then just disable the ram allocator until a new update is available?

Ahh just seen you've pulled the LPmanager from git, I'm still using it to free up memory before launching the server :(

Would like to schedule this really, is there another way I could do this?

It should still help you doing this, assuming you downloaded it before removal.

It should still help you doing this, assuming you downloaded it before removal.

check your PM before jumping to wrong conclusion

I can't go back to the poor'er performance I had prior to the update, fuck I shouldn't have.

Ughhhhh!

EDIT

It seems as if things aren't running as badly as I figured they would, but it's still a nasty surprise considering the overall improvement over previous versions of ARMA w/o the memory allocator.

Edited by Pd3

the Large Pages for Fred41 allocator should be still working in 1.38,

tho it would be nice if Fred41 update his allocator to TBB 4.3u2 like our default allocator and release it to public

the public version of fred41 allocator is based on TBB 4.2u2 which had some flaws Intel fixed since

and was reason we updated our default allocator to 4.3u2 base with Arma 3 update 1.38

(for example there were some rare random crashes, freezes inside the old TBB etc)

the Large Pages for Fred41 allocator should be still working in 1.38,

tho it would be nice if Fred41 update his allocator to TBB 4.3u2 like our default allocator and release it to public

the public version of fred41 allocator is based on TBB 4.2u2 which had some flaws Intel fixed since

and was reason we updated our default allocator to 4.3u2 base with Arma 3 update 1.38

(for example there were some rare random crashes, freezes inside the old TBB etc)

Yes Fred, please update! We love your work!

I've been crying myself to sleep many many nights now since I've been "forced" to revert to BI's default malloc. I mean, there's a loss of easily 10fps when in open spaces and landscape and a good 15fps when in urban areas.

Your malloc has been my lifeline to what BI apparently think is acceptable FPS in Arma3.

If you could find the time and oomph to update you allocator I know there's a good bunch of ppl that would be very happy, me included.

No pressure tho ;)

I've been crying myself to sleep many many nights now since I've been "forced" to revert to BI's default malloc. I mean, there's a loss of easily 10fps when in open spaces and landscape and a good 15fps when in urban areas.

Your malloc has been my lifeline to what BI apparently think is acceptable FPS in Arma3.

If you could find the time and oomph to update you allocator I know there's a good bunch of ppl that would be very happy, me included.

No pressure tho ;)

The allocator still works fine. (It was the large pages tweak that stopped working in v1.38)

Not according to Dwarden above!? or does it only work for the server in 1.38?... confused again ???

Like bamse I've been relying on Fred41's allocator with the LP tweak to get somewhat playable FPS as a client.

/KC

we will more likely do our own LP allocator but atm. I can't give you ETA ...

Not according to Dwarden above!? or does it only work for the server in 1.38?... confused again ???

Like bamse I've been relying on Fred41's allocator with the LP tweak to get somewhat playable FPS as a client.

/KC

Read it again. It works, but not the LP tweak for Arma.exe (gimmeMoarFrames).

And tbbmalloc is not as up-to-date as it could be.

actually he is right, there're issues with the 'old' public fred41's allocator due to bugs in the old TBB code (Intel fixed it since) ...

unfortunately fred41 left w/o releasing his 'newer' privately tested allocator based on recent TBB version ...

thus my previous answer apply as hope

Thanks for clarifying Dwarden! Lets hope Fred41 are able - and willing - to update his allocator.

/KC

actually he is right, there're issues with the 'old' public fred41's allocator due to bugs in the old TBB code (Intel fixed it since) ...

unfortunately fred41 left w/o releasing his 'newer' privately tested allocator based on recent TBB version ...

thus my previous answer apply as hope

Ok, thanks for clarification.

But didn't these "issues" only appear in some rare cases; as CTDs? So the malloc still works, but a new one would be more stable.

My Arma has crashed about 2-3 times during the last 400 hours of playing with fred41's alloc. ;)

Hi guys

could someone simplify to me,weather this malloc is still viable to use since 1.40? Or has it become unstable somehow or lost its oomph?

Im far from a tech guy and reading the latest posts here im at a loss.

Cheers

the publicly available version of the allocator is based on year+ old Intel TBB allocator code which has bugs and thus it's unreliable ...

Fred41 left community w/o releasing updated version of his allocator on actual Intel TBB code base ...

hence, what's on the GIT atm. is unreliable and prone to cashes / freezes ...

Dwarden:

any news on the one you hinted at releasing? :)

Dwarden:

any news on the one you hinted at releasing? :)

Bump for this question^

LargeAddress =1 is such a great tweak, i'm still using it.

Mostly, it fails to launch after a 'puter restart.

One trick i got is to put it in 'sleep mode' then once awake arma.exe usually starts --most of the time.

Longer the pc is up, problem seems to go away.

Thing is, try playing online without it..., it's like night & day on a crowded server.

New to this thread. Can I assume that Fred's allocator is dead? How do I make sure I am using the best allocator for Windows 7 x64 with 16 gigs of Ram and i7 4790 chip?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk