Sign in to follow this  
Leopardi

DirectX 11.2

It's not a silver bullet, don't delude yourself that by simply changing the directx API would help performance.

Especially considering that most of the issue's with CPU utilization in the RV engine have to do with the AI and scripting. which has nothing to do with DirectX at all.

Focus on fixing the online experience instead. Crysis 3 runs smoother on full graphics then this on lowest settings.

DirectX 11.2 is available only to users with:

Windows 8.1 (not yet released officially)

DirectX 11.2 compliant GPU (atm. HD 7xxx and 8xxx AMD only)

DirectX 11.2 compliant drivers (for sure HD7xxx serie don't have it and i'm not sure about HD8xxx either)

DirectX 11.1 is available only for Windows 8 and 8.1 and also only some hardware supporting it (AMD mainly)

the so called 'platform update' for Windows 7 isn't full specs 11.1 (btw. i needs manual update from customer)

so considering majority users is on Windows 7 (maximum DirectX 11.0) , Windows 8 ( maximum DirectX 11.1 w/o W8.1 update) and some on Windows Vista (maximum DirectX 11.0)

the answer is clear ... the Ecosystem is too shattered to support 'minor' featureset ...

the situation reassemble state of DX10 on Vista introduction soon followed by Windws 7... (new MS console enroute, DX ecosystem and userbase spread across two, three OSes)

Edited by Dwarden

Most of the features of 11.1 are also supported by nvidia with kepler and up, and the 11.1 update will probably be installed on most win7 systems via automatic updates.

Anyway, I agree with windies, performance issues seem to be mostly with ai and scripting, dev time is probably better spent there.

Edited by Leon86

I'ive just installed yesterday 8.1 ( was using still 7 ) during lunch pause :cool: when comes out also for pubblic make upgrade, it's so cute :o

I haven't already launched ArmA 3 with this, I will wait tomorrow for the stable in order to see those memory and physx fix/optimization and maybe 8.1 will make some miracle :j:

Hmm, I'm curious if Arma3 runs better on Windows 8 than 7? My current Windows 7 install is like 3 years old, it could use a reinstall soonish, and I don't think I'll bother re-installing 7 now 8 is out.

DirectX 11.2 is available only to users with:

Windows 8.1 (not yet released officially)

DirectX 11.2 compliant GPU (atm. HD 7xxx and 8xxx AMD only)

DirectX 11.2 compliant drivers (for sure HD7xxx serie don't have it and i'm not sure about HD8xxx either)

DirectX 11.1 is available only for Windows 8 and 8.1 and also only some hardware supporting it (AMD mainly)

the so called 'platform update' for Windows 7 isn't full specs 11.1 (btw. i needs manual update from customer)

so considering majority users is on Windows 7 (maximum DirectX 11.0) , Windows 8 ( maximum DirectX 11.1 w/o W8.1 update) and some on Windows Vista (maximum DirectX 11.0)

the answer is clear ... the Ecosystem is too shattered to support 'minor' featureset ...

the situation reassemble state of DX10 on Vista introduction soon followed by Windws 7... (new MS console enroute, DX ecosystem and userbase spread across two, three OSes)

The DICE dev was actually talking about 11.1 having the CPU improvements. So even W8 users will benefit from it... in a couple of years majority will be using 8 and 8.1, and AFAIK there will be no ArmA IV out by then, so investing in 11.1+ support makes sense for me.

What would actually be of interest for Bohemia from DX11.2 is Tiled Resources - http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/160076-directx-11-2-will-be-a-windows-8-1-and-xbox-one-exclusive-microsoft-dangles-the-upgrade-carrot . This will be "the next big thing" and used with tessellation could give some very impressive results. :)

What would actually be of interest for Bohemia from DX11.2 is Tiled Resources - http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/160076-directx-11-2-will-be-a-windows-8-1-and-xbox-one-exclusive-microsoft-dangles-the-upgrade-carrot . This will be "the next big thing" and used with tessellation could give some very impressive results. :)

yes, i definitely agree (that already catched our eyes) but the issue with extremely limited user base for now apply ... thanks to MS and theirs new OS policy ;(

Edit :- thought better of the Crysis comparision! :cool:

Edited by ck-claw

yes, i definitely agree (that already catched our eyes) but the issue with extremely limited user base for now apply ... thanks to MS and theirs new OS policy ;(

Im available for testing 8.1 ahah