Sign in to follow this  
GrindedCorpse

Unrealistic weapons damage

I dont know if this has been discussed but Grenade damage.

I can drop a grenade at my feet and not die, every single time. It takes 2 grenades to suicide. This is more arcade than COD imho.

Try turning off extended armour in your game settings. If you do that you can die to your hearts content on a single grenade.

i did some testing with a custom mission i made, a live target range (im a little sorry for the poor guys standing there, but they served their puropose)

I made 5 rows of 7 stationary weaponless OPFOR. Rows were at 10m, 30m, 50m, 100m, 200m. The mods i loaded were ACRE, CBA, JayArmaLib, TMR and some unconsequential uniforms and map addons, and VAS which we use as an alternative form of inventory interface because makes much more sense. I expecially wanted TMR to be there because i wanted to use the useful bipod that comes with it. I wanted the aim as swayless as possible, in order to reduce mistakes at minimum and hoping that the bullets went where i was pointing. I also put some sand bags in front of me to lean on.

The 7 of them would be targeted as follows:

- 1 headshot aiming in the mid of his eye

- 1 headshot somewhere in the lower region of the face, between the eyes and the mouth

- 1 middle of upper torso

- 1 heart

- 1 lower torso

- 1 tights

- 1 hands and then feet

As a weapon i used a single fire mode'd cal 6.5 Mk200, because i wanted a bipod and didnt want to bother to reload. At first i tought about using a MX, but since no bipod came along i went for the Mk200. I also used an ARCO optic.

This is what i found out.

- headshots: even though mid eye headshot has been constantly one-hit-one-death as far as i could safely aim (up to 50m), generic mid-lower face shooting didnt always ensure sudden death. Somtimes, it needed to shots to kill (and after the first shot, the opponent runs away in fear). From 50m on, however, it's harder and harder to hit, even if you carefully place your aim on the head: it will simply miss two times out of three (crude simulation of dispersion?)

- upper torso: mid upper torso/sternum shots can mean suddend death up to 50m. Heart shots (and for whats worth any other hits except the sternum shot) dont. It could take two to four shots in the same region to take down an opponent.

- lower torso, tights: they require from two to four hits to kill an opponent, regardless of distance, average of three the most recurring.

- hands and feet: this is LOLlersome. Hands have no hitboxes. No matter how many times you shoot, the bullet will go beyond delivering no damage to the enemy. Feet and lower legs require three to five hits to take down an opponent, being 4 the most recurring.

I was trying to take a video of this attempt but FRAPS and I are not in good terms but if you think it's worth seeing it with your own eyes i can try tweaking around a little bit, but it's somethnig you experienced people can do by yourselves (it took me all morning to set up the mission because it's my first :P)

i also wonder if calibers matter, and what would happen with a 5.56

Edited by Maffa

GAH, tree being mowed down by a 7.62. Damage system definitely needs work.

erm.... LOL?

GAH, tree being mowed down by a 7.62. Damage system definitely needs work.

I know right! But the buildings being collapsed by 7.62s was pretty spot on :p

Edited by -Coulum-

Dear BIS, let me say that I enjoy Arma 3.

But there's something wrong with the weapons in the game.

It's hard to understand how one can survive being shot in the head several times without dying.

(I understand an helmet will "save" your life if worn properly but that's if the bullet hits it rather than your face... know what I mean ?!)

It's also hard to understand how one can survive being shot several times in the chest without dying or falling inconsious on the ground... that is unless he/she's wearing a kevlar vest but still ... the kevlar can only do so much.

But even without these items, it seems like it takes several bullets to take down an enemy (AI/Non-AI all the same)

I'm not sure if it's intended that way (and if it is... please fix it and make it be so it's "realistic") or if it's just bad programming (either way... it needs to be fixed, Arma ain't Call of Duty, thank you.)

This applies to all calibers... from 9mm to 30mm HE

Arma is supposed to be a Mil sim... but right now, it feels more like an overkill arcade sandbox.

(Not exactly what I paid for.)

Anyway, thanks.

EDIT: Sorry about the grammar, I did the best I could.

My feelings exactly. I waited sooo long for the game to be patched before starting to play to no avail... This is in fact a very bad damage system. being hit by military calibre weapons should have more impact than a jerky arcadish animation and a few hit points. :/

My feelings exactly. I waited sooo long for the game to be patched before starting to play to no avail... This is in fact a very bad damage system. being hit by military calibre weapons should have more impact than a jerky arcadish animation and a few hit points. :/

Holy thread necro.. The damage system is actually not bad. Shots that should kill do and shots that shouldn't dont. If anything, center mass shots should do less to armored targets (ie everyone but bush wookies). The medical system however is non-existent. Currently getting shot in the arm rightfully doesn't kill. But it also doesn't incur any shock to the target or possibly disable as it should. The problem is with how damage effects the player, not the damage done itself.

The problem is with how damage effects the player, not the damage done itself.

Yes I agree with this. As the game stands now you can take a full shot to the chest with a 5.56 military grade rifle and walk away virtually unscathed, "Tis' merely a flesh wound". This is just plain wrong and it really needs to be fixed. If you take a M4 or AK74 full frontal shot to the torso from 50m with no armor, I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you would be out of service for at least the afternoon. There should be shock or inability to fire back for a least 5 -10 seconds.

the infantryman reaction on a hit with his jerky animation is really one the biggest immersion breaker. AI and players which receive a hit shouldn't make a quick jerk animation followed by an instant 180 degree turn and a quick shot with killing you and all this within 2 seconds. this should be really improved by bohemia, better sooner than later^^

It indeed is.

Which is why I am really hoping an Injury system is on the way eventually. I am talking about the whole shebang hopefully, bleeding out, bandaging, tourniquets , locational organ damage.

I agree with the OP, and here's a short video I just made to demonstrate irrealistic .45 bullet damage.

Sorry can't post links, must be registered for 1 day.....

https youtu.be/bKH5cBhlOZI

I agree with the OP, and here's a short video I just made to demonstrate irrealistic .45 bullet damage.

Sorry can't post links, must be registered for 1 day.....

https youtu.be/bKH5cBhlOZI

That is insane, are those models your are firing at normal units (with no helmet)? Sustaining multiple headshots from close range,, that is just wrong milsim or not.

Edited by Big_T

(discussion about AI)

not having a realistic wounding model is no excuse.

If you dont want to implement a wounding system then the only thing left to do is instadeath or passing out for 20 seconds up to a minute on bullet touch, which is a better way to simulate an average reaction to a bullet wound on your body than "jerk - lock on - boom headshot". When someone is hit the least they can do if they still have control over their body is to instinctively recoil, take cover, put a hand on the wound and try to do something about it (paniking or not depending on training): you are effectively out of the game for at least 20 seconds, even if it's a scratch. You dont certainly shrug it off and seek immediate retribution.

this is something that has to be addressed regardless of what mods are doing about the medical system (which BTW & IIRC dont include AIs yet).

Edited by Maffa