Sign in to follow this  
GrindedCorpse

Unrealistic weapons damage

Dear BIS, let me say that I enjoy Arma 3.

But there's something wrong with the weapons in the game.

It's hard to understand how one can survive being shot in the head several times without dying.

(I understand an helmet will "save" your life if worn properly but that's if the bullet hits it rather than your face... know what I mean ?!)

It's also hard to understand how one can survive being shot several times in the chest without dying or falling inconsious on the ground... that is unless he/she's wearing a kevlar vest but still ... the kevlar can only do so much.

But even without these items, it seems like it takes several bullets to take down an enemy (AI/Non-AI all the same)

I'm not sure if it's intended that way (and if it is... please fix it and make it be so it's "realistic") or if it's just bad programming (either way... it needs to be fixed, Arma ain't Call of Duty, thank you.)

This applies to all calibers... from 9mm to 30mm HE

Arma is supposed to be a Mil sim... but right now, it feels more like an overkill arcade sandbox.

(Not exactly what I paid for.)

Anyway, thanks.

EDIT: Sorry about the grammar, I did the best I could.

Edited by DooM

... are you testing with allied AI? And did you leave extended armor on by any chance?

Arma is supposed to be a Mil sim... but right now, it feels more like an overkill arcade sandbox.

(Not exactly what I paid for.)

Would you mind telling me where does it say that Arma 3 is a Military Sim? Cuz I can't find it in any official information. In fact developers when asked if Arma its a MilSim they say that its a game, not a simulator ( unlike VBS ).

On the other hand, I agree with you, right now damage system needs some review ( specially headshoots ).

Edited by MistyRonin
Orthography ( someday I'll finally write with my hands instead of with my foot ).

It depends, have you been playing in sp or mp? For example i don't have any problems with killing guys with one shoot to the head in sp, in mp latency might be an issue.

Would you mind telling me where does it say that Arma 3 is a Military Sim? Cuz I can't find it in any official information. In fact developers when asked if Arma its a MilSim they say that its a game, not a simulator ( unlike VBS ).

On the other hand, I agree with you, right now damage system needs some review ( specially headshoots ).

Depend on your understanding of what "Sim" means. Arma 3 is realistic and around 90% of player would want it to remain realistic and avoid any form of arcadic "balance" as there are hundreds of games that have that already.

Also to the person who started the thread, do you have extended armor on? Is on by default. Go to CONFIGURE -> GAME -> DIFFIULTY -> Extended Armor -> Disabled.

@Chortles Not sure if trolling or if trolling.

@Byku Multiplayer in Wasteland Sa-Matra (Rarely play SP and even if I did, my options are already set to Veteran with only 3rd person enabled.)

@ProGamer Realism > Balance any day, any time.

and finally...

@Mistyronin What is Arma if not a Mil Sim ? At worst... one could say it's a Military Sandbox with a lot of "realism" altho right now, it's lacks realism.

Last I remember, BI has been touting Arma 3 as "Authentic", not "Realistic"

This opens the way to arcade balance and exact equality between factions, which I do not want. Variety is the spice of life. The days of AK47 vs M16 seem to be over if BI keeps designing weapons using the same rounds in similar weapons with similar optics that are used by the same set of soldier types that's shared by multiple factions.

The sooner someone does full additional factions for Bluefor, Redfor, and Greenfor that could be engaged in asymetric or symetric warfare, the sooner I'll be very happy.

I keep seeing this pop up. Is this happening in MP or SP? I really don't play MP and I don't see this in singleplayer. I don't see it happening in the controlled environment of the editor. I'd like to hear a more detailed explanation of where this is occurring.

Multiplayer in Wasteland Sa-Matra (Rarely play SP and even if I did, my options are already set to Veteran with only 3rd person enabled.)

Well there's your problem. You're playing a "call of duty" type mission where the mission creators have changed the damage settings to allow people to take excessive rounds to the face. Go play some different missions, wasteland is somewhat of a waste of time in my opinion.

Whenever I see threads of similar weapon damage complaints they usually end up being a result of people using mission files with tweaked damage settings.

@Chortles Not sure if trolling or if trolling.

Actually his post was perfectly valid. Extended armour is a real gameplay mechanic in ArmA which increases damage tolerance, which can be turned off. I believe it applies only to your group though, might be wrong on that I never really looked into it much.

Last I remember, BI has been touting Arma 3 as "Authentic", not "Realistic"

So, they're using the same words as Sion Lenton.

Extended armour should be removed and not even an option.

Actually his post was perfectly valid. Extended armour is a real gameplay mechanic in ArmA which increases damage tolerance, which can be turned off. I believe it applies only to your group though, might be wrong on that I never really looked into it much.
It's one of those things where I shouldn't have to ask it... but because extended armor is in Arma, no matter how much Cyper doesn't like it, I do have to ask it when people complain about damage.

Hell, RuecanOnRails pointed to another possible cause... how can we even know that the base damage is unrealistic when the report may be through playing of someone else's mission, where the damage can be "whatever the mission designer chose"?

EDIT: Ahahaha yeah what whisper said.

Edited by Chortles

So, they're using the same words as Sion Lenton.

Extended armour should be removed and not even an option.

You realise it's an option since OFP, right?

No extended armor option even available on veteran (at least that's how it is in OFP/ArmA1/ArmA2)

Although BIS probably dumbed down the damage system indeed. I've seen soldiers take three 6.5mm rounds and not die even on Veteran. This is probably what BIS means by "authentic"

Edited by metalcraze

So the whine here is because the option is not red colored in the "Veteran" list now? Really?

I don't think its just the infantry weapons. The fixed-wing aircraft's gun is also underpowered. I play a lot of DCS, and it normally takes just a 1 - 2 second burst to take down a helicopter. I just tested the jet in ArmA. I fired the gun for 10 seconds at the OPFOR attack helicopter, and it was still flying just fine.

I hope this is only a bug, not an attempt to 'balance' the game!

I just hate when im playing in Domination, you shoot a enemy, and he barely reacts to the hit, like he got hit with a paintball. What is even more horrible is when you shoot a guy full of lead in like 10/20 meters away and he still manages to turn and shoot you dead IN ONE SHOT!

Actually ArmA series are not a mil-sim at all, but VBS series is.

VBS is $500-$3000 dollars. Very few can afford that for a game / sim.

Making Arma more like VBS is a good thing.

Actually ArmA series are not a mil-sim at all, but VBS series is.

arma used to be a sim, then it became a "game", now it's teetering dangerously close to becoming full on run and gun arcade in calva luna territory.

arma used to be a sim, then it became a "game", now it's teetering dangerously close to becoming full on run and gun arcade in calva luna territory.

Let's just buy Call of Duty at this point.

Arma: Cold War Assault, Bohemia Interactive's debut game published by Codemasters as Operation Flashpoint in 2001, became genre-defining combat military simulation and the No. 1 bestselling PC game around the world and has won many international awards, including “Game of The Year†and “Best Action Game.†Over 2 million copies of Operation Flashpoint have been sold since its release.

http://www.bistudio.com/english/games/arma-cwa

Soon after Bohemia Interactive Simulations was created and the word simulation was never seen again....

Connect the dots.

No extended armor option even available on veteran (at least that's how it is in OFP/ArmA1/ArmA2)

Although BIS probably dumbed down the damage system indeed. I've seen soldiers take three 6.5mm rounds and not die even on Veteran. This is probably what BIS means by "authentic"

Yeah, probably. :) I mean, when you're in full complain mode, you might as well just make stuff up and complain about that too :)