Sign in to follow this  
Fanatic72

Character faces...all we gonna get?

After getting the latest dev patch, among all the other things, I was looking for additions to character customization. After my experience with A2 I expected a lot more faces and camo. Is this all we are going to get? I dont know the exact number of faces but I know there is only 3 black guys? In A2 there was how many? 15 to 20? Now it seems that 20 to 30 is the overall number of faces we will get and without any camo variants? Seriously after all the disappointment with the vehicles and weapons i was hoping ill find some variety at least in this department...but there is just more disappointment. Good that every fifth guy will look like (with different goggles) in large-scale MP. damn BIS.... :(

Meanwhile in COD and BF you only have 4 skins to choose from. "Damn you BIS"....

Meanwhile in COD and BF you only have 4 skins to choose from. "Damn you BIS"....

Dont really understand comparing to COD or BF if there is a previous game from the series with plenty more faces, but whatever mate.

Dont really understand comparing to COD or BF if there is a previous game from the series with plenty more faces, but whatever mate.

Well, A3 face models have to be higher quality than the ones in A2, hence harder to make. Maybe a few more would be nice, but this is nothing gamebreaking.

Well, A3 face models have to be higher quality than the ones in A2, hence harder to make. Maybe a few more would be nice, but this is nothing gamebreaking.

I honestly don't see how they are higher quality than A2 for example...

They are not higher quality than the OA faces. And that's pretty much what they are. OA faces. There are 15 white faces. It'd be nice close to the same for the faces of the other races.

Id say this is quite subjective. If there wasnt such a limited and copied amount of everything, it wouldnt be. But with all this, A3 without incoming mods seems actually pretty broken to me.

the skleton of the face is Higher quality as seen in number of bones in A3 comaprd to A2

Howeve i garee the BF COD comparison is silly , we cant say Arma is massive world in one hand then say wel number of assets and variation is ok , its like having cake and eating it and not a solution to the qustion at all .

4 Faces to populate terrain o nthis skill would be rediculous.

i believe Bis wil sort it if they havnt aready for the 12th .

I would gladly sacrifice large numbers of faces for a lesser number of high-quality ones, with more detailed head models. One of the black faces in the game at the moment is the 'Pierce' character from Arrowhead, and in my opinion is the best face in the game. It would be nice if they added the other A2 and OA characters.

As a character set I think the Iranians are of the best overall quality. This one in particular. Perhaps tied with the 'Pierce' model for highest quality is Miller, weird hair aside. The only other one I can think of that looks realistic is Nikos.

The other, more generic faces don't look as good. There's something off about some of them, not sure what it is, maybe the skin textures. I'd rather see the existing ones improved than have another 20 mediocre ones on the same head models. But of course there should be a few more 'Persian' and 'African' faces added.

It would be nice to have more variety in the faces by default. Once the head meshes are made the textures are made. So the 'hard to make' argument doesn't work. A variety of them would highly benefit campaign and story-driven mission makers immensely.

More importantly (to me) it gives large MP clans lower possibility of players with the same faces. And from my own experience: I remember most of my clanmates by their A2 face and when once two of them had accidentaly the same one...one of them just put on some camo on it and they were looking completely different. This is my main issue with this...

I think BIS should pay more attention to face details, realism, lighting effect, eyes, and even the expression they do while they speak, frown, etc… i recommend anyone and especially the developers at BIS to throw a look at "LA Noire" from Rockstar and see the level of details and realism the persons have in the game. Even when they talk, you can really tell what word they are pronouncing. In my opinion, BIS should really improve this area.

Using LA Noire as a benchmark isn't really fair to BIS. The expressions in that game are achieved by capturing the face of each individual actor as they perform, using a complex setup of multiple cameras. While I agree that there's room for improvement in the facial expressions, lip-syncing in particular, I think what the BIS character artists accomplished with the 'ambient' facial expressions is quite admirable. It really is time for setMimic to be fixed properly, though.

Something I'd really like to see is different 'emotion' sets for certain situations. For example, expressions being more aggressive-looking when in Combat behaviour, contorted in pain when wounded, etc. The characters have been much improved from the expressionless robots in Arma 2, and being more emotive would help make them seem more human.

Yes there has been an improvement over ArmA II in facial expressions, but you know, looking at the facial expressions (lips, eyes, teeth, heavy breathing, etc…) of LA Noire or even Battlefield 4 is sensational. And yes you're right, the lips' behaviour is synced with the talking and words' expressions. It appears real world to me. I hope BIS is reading or should I say is aware of this.

Am I the only one who thinks there are more than enough faces?

Enough, yes. There are definitely enough. Would I be happier with even more or a couple of customisation options? Hell yeah I would!

I guess this is a case of more is better, even if there are enough IMO. More would be nice, but not that big of a deal.

There are lots of faces, but each character set shares the same head model and most of the 'generic' faces aren't detailed enough to to look realistic. A greater variety of head meshes and some higher quality face textures would go a long way. None of the faces really looks distinctive enough to have any character, except for the 'Story' units. Even of those, it's only really Miller and Nikos who have a distinctive, higher-quality face. BIS claimed somewhere that Kerry had a new head model, but to me it looks exactly the same as the normal 'White' head. And his face doesn't really look all that different from two or three of the generic ones. I'd rather see all of the existing faces improved than have any new ones of similar quality.

Since the 'Pierce' character head from OA is in already, I think they should port over the head models of all the other A2 characters; All the Razor Team guys, Graves, Herrera and Drake. Actually I think the Drake face is in A3 already but I don't think it's the head mesh from Arrowhead.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

No you are not. Also comparing to LA Noire. In that game it would make sense to dedicate the HUGE amount of work needed to create realistic facial expressions since the focus is on the ingame narrative. In a combat simulator? IMO no, not needed.

Not that it is any of our responsibility to do, but I wouldn't divert development attention to anything but core gameplay and planned content. Already a huge amount of work I'd much rather see worked on.

Also, only three Iranian faces is pretty low, they should make some more for them.

More faces is always good!

But many clipping issues with hats, shemagh and berets =\

7 new faces added in dev branch today. All pretty decent quality.

I think the main thing that has always let down the character faces is that the skin doesn't look like skin, it looks painted-on. Maybe a little more specularity would help. It certainly would help the eyes, anyway. Also getting rid of that weird red part at the sides of the eyeballs.

EDIT: I don't like to compare, but jesus, BF4 characters look amazing.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

They are not higher quality than the OA faces. And that's pretty much what they are. OA faces. There are 15 white faces. It'd be nice close to the same for the faces of the other races.

I believe in some of the Mods the majority of faces look like different races.

I don't know when these were added, but in FIA Men (Story), the 'Stavrou' unit has a new character model with tattoos and a custom head that looks pretty good. Also the Kerry/Resistance commander placeholder now has Kerry with scarred face and beard.