Sign in to follow this  
Guest Melone

Headache

Guest Melone

Hi, I ve got a problem. After some time of playing this game (10-20 minutes) I always get kind of headache located behind the eyes. It doesnt matter wether I m playing on low graphic setting with 110 fps or on ultra settings with 50 fps. Bobhead is already disabled. Do you know a list of visual effects that can cause these headaches? I ve the suspicion that it has something to do with the permanent light/dark adjustments or light effects. But I can play another game with unreal engine for hours without any problems! There must be something new in this game that overstrained the visual handling for certain sensitive players. When I asked in a mp session, somebody told me, that he also has the problem. It would be a pity when I must stop playing completly. Can you help me?

Maybe its the blur?

I know that I am experiencing problems with it, along with others. Maybe thats what causing it for you to.

Try to turn of all blur in video options. And dont get shot, because there is a graphical effect that forces blur :(

Try playing around with the Blur settings (motion blur,etc). Perhabs HDR might be the cause aswell.

Besides of that you could try to open the window, drink something, make sure that you play in a bright environment and (probably most importantly) take breaks to look at something in the distance so your eyes can relax.

If you get those headaches only in first person than it could be Motion Sickness

Well if it is only ARMA it probably isn't motion sickness so try turning up or down the motion blur and other settings such as bloom or try SMAA to soften the image.

Maybe it’s just a temporary thing though.

Play in a well-lit room on a monitor with lower brightness (google for calibration recommendations for you screen), stay hydrated and don’t play extensively. Also eat something.

If it is only ARMA, not motion sickness and not blur I can’t think of much and you’ve probably just had some bad luck.

• Control your monitor brightness to daytime accordingly (lower on dark, viceversa)
  • Use f.lux to lower monitor color temps within time, reduces eyestrain
  • Calibrate your monitor
  • Turn off blur in A3 video options completely
  • Maybe expect somebody to make an addon which removes blur altogether (you get a slight blur effect at the edges of the screen (when tired) even with it disabled in video options)
  • Google for "how to reduce eyestrain" and such for more info

Guest Melone

ok thanks, I ll give it a try tomorrow. I think I need a break first :)

Avoid playing night missions with night vision, and by dusk. I can only play these game times if I turn gamma and brightness almost full to fight the brightness fluctuation which helps with headache but is more straining for the eyes.

I tend to get headaches if the rooms lights are off while I play. So I normally play with lights in the room on.

I would also suggest a visit to the ophthalmologist, maybe they can give you something to prevent that.

Guest Melone

Hi, I give it up. It s the head bob effect. Althought set to zero, there is still a lot of headbobbing when running, crawling or even turning around in crouch in tight room. Yesterday could play without problems, but I was just driving with ifrit gmg and checking the erea, without walking too much. Today I walked around just to look for food, water, weapons, vehicles (wasteland), it kills me. I know there is a lot of headbobbing in reality, but your eyes balance it by focussing a point so that your eyes are always in motion to get a smooth picture.

Head bob at 0 should be

so are you sure that it's turned down because there isn't "a lot of head bobbing" then? I linked Arma 2 video but it's the same in Arma 3.

There are also a lot of servers that allow 3rd person and 3rd person has literally 0 head bob so try to play with it as much as possible if the head bob is the real issue.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Whilst not quite the same, I began suffering with motion sickness, some games like Half-Life I simply cannot play LOL.

Not many games affect me in this way though luckily, but there is still the odd one here or there.

Aside from head bob, 95% of the time, adjusting the FOV to a more comfortable setting works for me, since these days games are set at 65ish aka ('sofa -> TV') settings instead 90+ ish for ('chair -> monitor right in your face')

I wonder why Arma 3 doesn't have a FOV slider yet has the settings for it in the config file? Anyway, worth a shot.

Also, a video explaining FOV :

Edit: just found this which may help http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21179

Edited by FX2K

Guest Melone

It works. I've set FOV to 85 with the Arma FOV Changer. 85 is the same max value I use in another game that offers a slider for FOV and where I dont have any problems. Now it feels much comfortable in Arma too. I don't know if it's a placebo effect, but it works :-) Another effect is now, that I run rarely against the frame of a door in a building because there is a better feeling for the surroundings.

It works. I've set FOV to 85 with the Arma FOV Changer. 85 is the same max value I use in another game that offers a slider for FOV and where I dont have any problems. Now it feels much comfortable in Arma too. I don't know if it's a placebo effect, but it works :-) Another effect is now, that I run rarely against the frame of a door in a building because there is a better feeling for the surroundings.

Good to hear it ;)

Does this mess with MilDot sights etc. as it did in Arma 2?

Hi, I give it up. It s the head bob effect. Althought set to zero, there is still a lot of headbobbing when running, crawling or even turning around in crouch in tight room. Yesterday could play without problems, but I was just driving with ifrit gmg and checking the erea, without walking too much. Today I walked around just to look for food, water, weapons, vehicles (wasteland), it kills me. I know there is a lot of headbobbing in reality, but your eyes balance it by focussing a point so that your eyes are always in motion to get a smooth picture.

Yeah I was just going to say it'll be the head-bob. In some people it manifests as nausea, in others it manifests as discomfort. Glad you got it sorted though :)

Hi, I ve got a problem. After some time of playing this game (10-20 minutes) I always get kind of headache located behind the eyes. It doesnt matter wether I m playing on low graphic setting with 110 fps or on ultra settings with 50 fps. Bobhead is already disabled. Do you know a list of visual effects that can cause these headaches? I ve the suspicion that it has something to do with the permanent light/dark adjustments or light effects. But I can play another game with unreal engine for hours without any problems! There must be something new in this game that overstrained the visual handling for certain sensitive players. When I asked in a mp session, somebody told me, that he also has the problem. It would be a pity when I must stop playing completly. Can you help me?

try autodetect. it makes FSAA and bloom - which both helps making the scenes smoother - less pixel-flickering