Sign in to follow this  
.kju

A solution to the A2/BI content in A3 and your thoughts

Agreed. I hope BI releases also the OA DLCs and TKOH models.

Kju you may have explained this already I own all the dlc's for a2/oa/toh the baf pmc and acr have the shit textures when running AIA is there a way to use the good ones I paid for in AIA cheers mate

Kju you may have explained this already I own all the dlc's for a2/oa/toh the baf pmc and acr have the shit textures when running AIA is there a way to use the good ones I paid for in AIA cheers mate

Those DLC are encrypted, the only way that you are going to see them in Arma 3 is if BI builds support for them in the executable (spoilers, TKOH doesn't support them either with the BI implemented TKOH Rearmed DLC) or release them unencrypted (not going to happen).

You know I/we are behind you kju, my only slight opposition to this though, is the suggestion that it should be given only to experienced or trusted authors... and hear me out.

Should free Official DLC, much less Paid Official DLC be made by the general community? NO WAY.

Should the source content only be available to those that are good enough to produce sale-able content for BI? NO WAY.

I think what we need is the fully open sharing of the entire A2/OA and ALL DLC content for use similar to the A1 Mlod, IE no use outside of Arma and it's sequels. The only caveat required for the DLC, is that the textures, and units may NOT be used for A2 addons... and only the low res textures can be used for non official DLC.

*edit*

Removed for lack of clarity or relevance to topic.

Edited by CiforDayZServer

You know I/we are behind you kju, my only slight opposition to this though, is the suggestion that it should be given only to experienced or trusted authors... and hear me out.

Should free Official DLC, much less Paid Official DLC be made by the general community? NO WAY.

Should the source content only be available to those that are good enough to produce sale-able content for BI? NO WAY.

This monetize stuff is uncalled for imo. It really shouldn't get that shady or complicated. Just a release of all A2 content in MLOD format and giving users the ability to use these models for A2 and A3 content creation and prohibiting commercial use.

Everything else is just bad mojo. If BIS wants to get any modders work for DLC/game inclusion they'll always find a way, like they have in the past.

Edited by Icewindo

This monetize stuff is uncalled for imo. It really shouldn't get that shady or complicated. Just a release of all A2 content in MLOD format and giving users the ability to use these models for A2 and A3 content creation and prohibiting commercial use.

Everything else is just bad mojo. If BIS wants to get any modders work for DLC/game inclusion they'll always find a way, like they have in the past.

Absolutely. 100% +1

I can't quite follow your post either. You seem to mix various topics there.

From what I understand BI will do a MLOD release like for A1.

This means model only release (and model.cfg) - no textures, no sounds, no animations etc.

So you need to own/have A2/A2F/OA to be able to play with these, or the modder needs to replace these files with his own/others.

This is also why they should release the OA DLC models in my view.

People still need to buy the DLCs to be able to get the HQ textures and sounds.

Overall a release to anyone with a non commercial, share alike license.

In CC terms: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA)

That was def. not the intention of my post. I hope it's clear my wish is for the MLODs to simply be provided as a DL link on the BIKI with a simple license as they have in the past.

;2512317']I can't quite follow your post either. You seem to mix various topics there.

From what I understand BI will do a MLOD release like for A1.

This means model only release (and model.cfg) - no textures' date=' no sounds, no animations etc.

So you need to own/have A2/A2F/OA to be able to play with these, or the modder needs to replace these files with his own/others.

[u']This is also why they should release the OA DLC models in my view.

People still need to buy the DLCs to be able to get the HQ textures and sounds.[/u]

Overall a release to anyone with a non commercial, share alike license.

In CC terms: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA)

But AFAIK there is no way to get HQ textures and sounds from the DLCs as they are encrypted and can't be dePBOed.

a3 in it self seems a mixed bag as you have some models from a2 some small objects from toh I cant understand why they just did not take all the scene models and just put them in game it would mean we actually had some furniture and other bits to make altis stratis lived in just seems strange they did not go the full route and include all scene models as a3 is really tight on objects.

Edited by SmokeDog3PARA

Yeah, so we should either pay another 40€ or just have low-res textures...

Great idea!

That's exactly how BI carried out their DLC because otherwise the forums would have blown-up over any MP compatibility requirement...

Hostage-takers, the forums are...

But Arma 3 is supposed to be a finished game for 60€, it shouldn't be half finished and have low res textures until you pay another 40€.

But Arma 3 is supposed to be a finished game for 60€, it shouldn't be half finished and have low res textures until you pay another 40€.

Well, this is about arma2 assets.

Well, this is about arma 2 assets.

Which will be ported to Arma 3 with low-res textures. That's not considered finished in 2013.

If it's ported you cannot claim it to be an integral part of your arma3 60€ purchase, can you? It's fair to pay for the full arma2 assets as it is another game. See it as a compability-bonus to get lo-res versions for free.

This is not arma3, and therefore not part of what you paid your 60€ for.

Or am I wrong here?

I've not followed this thread at all, aside from my roomy telling me a little about this thread. I personally will never pay for user ported content. How can I trust this "user" to stand behind his / her work? How can I trust that this "user" isn't just trying to make a quick buck by porting over old content I already payed for? How can I trust that it will be done right & won't be a disaster / mess, full of "workarounds"? I would pay if BIS did it though.

From what I can read from the first post you will not pay for user ported content. If you want hi-res textures you have to buy the game arma2.

I've not followed this thread at all...

and it shows.

I've not followed this thread at all, aside from my roomy telling me a little about this thread. I personally will never pay for user ported content. How can I trust this "user" to stand behind his / her work? How can I trust that this "user" isn't just trying to make a quick buck by porting over old content I already payed for? How can I trust that it will be done right & won't be a disaster / mess, full of "workarounds"? I would pay if BIS did it though.

If you can't be bothered to at least read the opening post, i don't see why you should post in here. You have your opinion, we wont confuse you with facts.