Sign in to follow this  
.kju

A solution to the A2/BI content in A3 and your thoughts

Hello there

I would definitely be in favor of this, even it it had to be a low priced DLC (although I know many others who own A2 etc would not agree)

If we had the content of A2/OA and the DLC's ported over to work correctly then although the fidelity of the models and textures are not equal to the newer assets, I believe they bring in the functionality and variety many folk find the game lacking.

Even as an artist I'd happily tolerate the discrepancy of the quality. For me many of the older assets look great in A3 when using AiA.

Whether it's through a DLC or via BiS releasing the models I personally do not mind. I'd just love to see it done.

If it could include assets from other RV games, that would be a bonus indeed.

A fair few folk still buy the PMC/BAF DLC's just for the higher res textures for use in dayz, im sure folk would do the same with OA if they could bring over the A2 assets.

Rgds

LoK

Definitely for this! Leaving huge amount of content we got for A2/OA/DLCs behind us would be an incredible waste because we would just have to start over with A3 and maybe in 4 years we would have what we already had in A2. So pls go for it!

this would be totally epic, and having bis support would mean things that are hardcoded like the recoil incompatibility could be solved.

good luck on a very worthwhile idea

+1!

I think the easiest way would be for BIS to enable and allow players to just integrate A2 FREE, and all the A2/OA DLC Lite from within A3 right off steam..

The system is all there and would immediately provide a standard of classic content for everyone. Then let people who have purchased A2/OA/DLC to enable hires models/textures as OP stated.

Great idea to open or limit source parts of the A2/OA so the community can improve and upgrade the content to A3 standards.

It would only expand and encourage the A3 community to grow.

so far i spent far more time in AiA than in regular a3, the A2/OA content doesnt just look tasty with a3 shaders it also performs good, hereby i urge BI to carefully consider to accept this reasonable concept!

i demand to fully enjoy my A2CO + Reinforcements in A3 ASAP!

:icon_dj: :icon_dj: :icon_dj: :icon_dj: :icon_dj: :icon_dj: :icon_dj: :icon_dj: :icon_dj:

I wasn't even doubting BIS would put A2 contents in A3.

The new super technological stuff is nice but there's also a lot of people who would throw away the MX any day of the week for an M16 or an AK. Some even refused to buy the game because of this.

I also think that BIS doesn't have the resources to do the port in a timely manner by now with so much work to do on arma 3 (where's all the warfare content? additional vehicles? heavy duty helos? jets? you can't be seriously thinking there won't be any major update coming up in the next months along with the campaign) so they are either going to put it on a temporary hold or more likely outsource it to the community releasing the models and everything (maybe only to a selected few who know their business).

I really expect that BIS provides cooperation and fixes the issues to this project. This already bring Arma 3 to a new level.

Speaking at player side, I like the way that AiA works today, as a "mod" and needing A2/OA to play properly. I think working that way is fair with BIS because people have to pay the original containt of A2/OA to play with it.

Not all servers will use AiA, but if the player wants to play at an AiA server, need to have the mod and the A2/OA full game. I think it can work similar to ACE with ARMA2.

My only concern with this proposal is how the mod author (.kju) will have his deserved share.

I expect I made myself clear, english is not my primary language.

Well this was a bit of reading to catch up. Without going into why I think this is a good idea on many fronts, I'll just say I'm all for it.

It is a large tasking for sure, but in about as capable hands as it can be. If enough other capable hands are involved I see no reason (expect BIS not participating as needed) why this can't become a reality. The game is a sandbox, and the more toys you have for said sandbox, means the more possibilities for all different types of players to have fun in the sandbox. I mean, that is why we're all here at the end of the day right? Seems win, win on many levels.

I support this idea if this means that KJUs Team will port over Arma 2 content without additional "balancing"

From the latest REPORT IN! MAREK SPANEL – CEO_:

That’s a lot to look forward to! How about the Arma 2 content library? Will there be some form of backwards compatibility?

Originally, we had an idea that was similar to Take On Rearmed. Unfortunately, upgrading the Arma 2 massive content library to Arma 3 standards is beyond what we can do in reasonable time. So instead, what we are going to do will be similar to Arma 1: we are going to release the entire Arma 2 library to the community and allow them create any derivative work within Arma 3. More details will be announced very soon.

If I am not mistaken this means that BI will supply the source models from A2 and OA.

I would like to hear .Kju about this.

That was the first thing I thought about...

But seriously, I really hope they make one large mod out of this, as a shared community project, instead of "Mk16 mod!!!"... "Mk17 mod!"... "M14 mod!", "HMMWV mod!!! :D", I'm seriously afraid we'll see a ton of seperate mods now, which means we still can't properly use the Arma 2 assets in a somewhat public setting. Universally compatible All in Arma? Wet dream. Random mods that still won't be supported on most of the servers? Meh.

But seriously, I really hope they make one large mod out of this, as a shared community project, instead of "Mk16 mod!!!"... "Mk17 mod!"... "M14 mod!", "HMMWV mod!!! :D", I'm seriously afraid we'll see a ton of seperate mods now
You act as if that weren't already the case. :p

You act as if that weren't already the case. :p

With this mod? With this mod I was hoping for some larger package for optimal multiplayer compatibility. Just get the 'All in Arma' DLC and play on everything. I'm not a fan of all the small seperate mods, because it completely destroys the ability to hop on a server and play what I want (It would be less worse with auto mod downloading). I mean, yesterday I was looking at the server browser and was pretty damn limited in my choice what I could play... No maybe there are a ton of servers out there with mods, but I can't play any of those, and just clicking the gamemode i want to play that night and having the full content would just be so much better.

I was referring to the bit about "a ton of separate mods now", I apologize for being vague about that.