Sign in to follow this  
ramius86

Head Less Client will need a separate/new license for work? Either in the next update

Hi, I have to make this question here because I've already asked around ( and also google and search around .. ) but still haven't a reply.

It would be better to get an official answer from some BI's guy.. :cool:

Headless client in ArmA2OA need a separate license.

Will this be the same in ArmA 3 or there's something in the roadmap for the future update that will fix this really expensive "bug" ( someone have to buy an additional license in order to make some coop in ArmA 3 if you want to have decent fps so.. yes, for me it's a bug! ) ?

Or this will be needed only for online server with BattleEye enabled? Because at this moment either with BE on or off I can't login with my guid because of Steam ticket check failed ( something like this ).

Because our internal mission are in a password server only for member so BattleEye is always turned off..

Only to know what to do and will be a waste of money buy another license and maybe within some weeks this will be fixed..

Many thanks

Edited by ramius86

HC in arma3 needs separate license!

/sEi

HC in arma3 needs separate license!

/sEi

Yes, I know this...

My question was: will this be fixed or this is how it works and will be forever either in the next updates ?

i am pretty sure this won't be "fixed" as it is supposed to be like that... $...you know ;)

But for my expirience -> try other method to optimize your maps performance - on my maps/tests i haven't seen only little differences with/without HCs... sadly.

Edit: Btw - you know it is just a very freaky workaround while trying to get more out of your servers cpu/core capacitys, which BIS won't or can't make available due to the somewhat singlethread-optimized engine!?

If i had to choose again - i wouldn't do it.

Edited by Blue1

i am pretty sure this won't be "fixed" as it is supposed to be like that... $...you know ;)

But for my expirience -> try other method to optimize your maps performance - on my maps/tests i haven't seen only little differences with/without HCs... sadly.

Edit: Btw - you know it is just a very freaky workaround while trying to get more out of your servers cpu/core capacitys, which BIS won't or can't make available due to the somewhat singlethread-optimized engine!?

If i had to choose again - i wouldn't do it.

Yeah, I've already supposed that for money question this won't never be fixed but I prefer ask first..

Our mission are already too optimized ( Giallustio ) and our server are already boosted by myselft at their top ( hw limit, already made ramdisk and connection optimization and startup and server config ) but when we play all and we use high populated missions fps sometimes ... are very low... I can't imagine how with Altis this load will be.. And with all the mods... With A2 we used another linux server but with A3 I cannot wait weeks for linux binaries because A3 client will autoupdate with Steam...

So HC it's the only way to ALWAYS get high fps.. We spawned ingame 600 AI with HC and still get fps near 40... Differences is very big if you play with many AI and script !

As Blue alludes to, the whole HC system is a huge workaround. Ideally the server should be improved so a HC isn't necessary.

Perhaps as a stop-gap measure a massively cut-down client could be created for the sole purpose of acting as a HC.

okay - i see you need it for coop and i assume you dont have more than 20-40 players?

i use my servercapacitiys (at least as far as the engine allows me to ((and thats only 30% max)) for PVP at 60 players and above.

The HC was only meant to offload around 40-60 AI, defending the capturable towns and for some cleanup-activities.

But as AI is quite useless... i decided to reduce / deactivate it.

but for 600 AI ,...... find another way - i am pretty sure you don't need them all at once and the same time? Or you going to make a "Attack / Defend Omaha Beach" Mission? XD

edit: my server hardware & connection

600 AI was only for testing but we play 90% coop clanmade so HC is necessary for mission like "mso" with patrol units and object/town/sidemission. obviously they don't spawn with the beginning of the mission but if you came close to a city which is close to another or you just pass it by ( yes, there's a autoswipe for useless ai but ... ) and meanwhile there's some heli, vehicle and units going around the map for patrol, ecc.. I know HC is a workaround but I've to adapt...

( I've PM you )

As far as I have read, the problem is with AI path finding that causes low fps for the server and clients. HC eliminates this by running AI on a dedicated client. I would guess the ideal solution would be for BIS to decouple AI path finding from the main server process. I imagine it should be possible for this to be seamless to the end user. I hope something gets done soon as the problem with AI numbers seems to be exacerbated with A3.