Sign in to follow this  
freakjoe

Update size continuously going up when downloading

Hello there,

I'm currently having a bit of a problem with updating the Dev Build on Steam.

As the title says, before I started updating, the update size was at 1.3 GB as far as I remember, so I update for a bit, eventually get it down to 800 MB (I have a rather slow internet connection) and stop the update to continue the next day. So, I come back to update, it all appears normal, the download size is at what I left at but now as soon as I start downloading it starts going up. Just a second ago, I got to 1.1 out of 1.1 GB but it'd just not finish, so I pause it and then hit the resume button. Now it says 900 MB out of 1000 MB.

So, the numbers keep changing and I'm getting a bit confused here.

(The numbers used in this post are just what I remember and are likely not to be exactly what it said at those times)

I hope that you guys get the idea of what my problem is and can hopefully point me to a solution here.

There is an update of the Dev Build almost every day so some of it might be due to that.

Also I don't know how steam updating works but it's possible because you haven't fully downloaded the previous updates when you resume, some of the update data that you downloaded will be invalidated due to a newer update.

If it takes you a day to download 800Mb, you are probably better off not signing up for the dev builds. Like TonyGrunt said, it's updated quite frequently and the updates aren't small usually. Right now I'm downloading another 400Mb of updates for the dev build.

Well, the thing is, it doesn't take me THAT long to update (I usually download at like 500-600 kbps) and I do know how frequently it's updated. But I've checked and it wasn't updated during the time this happened, keep in mind, as soon as I pause and resume, the download size will be completely different although there hasn't been an update.

Although what you said, TonyGrunt, might be the problem. I guess I'll just leave it running for a while and see if that's the problem.

Edited by FreakJoe

As long as you haven't got a cap on your internet usage just let it do its thing.