Sign in to follow this  
3instein

Interesting post on Rome 2 Total Wars release/bugs/glitches/development/buying.

Late Roman empire is quite appealing to me.

Late Rome's an underused setting, but I think Byzantium gets overlooked a lot by these strategy games as well. I don't know any major games besides Crusader Kings 2 (and Medieval 2?) that have post-600s Byzantium as a significant power in the game.

"we introduced a family tree" bullshit you did... how is having a wife (which was already there...) a family tree like in rtw 1?

It´s basically just another arbitary household item that gives you a little stat boost....

The nerve on these guys is amazing,they add what they stripped from Rome 2 and what people requested in the first place with this Attila crap.

I admit that Rome 2 is miles away now than the wreck it was at the release,but the engine they use is still junk and their dlc policy is right there with those vultures at EA and Ubilol.I mean blood&gore dlc??Whats next horse armor?

Maybe in the next game they'll ship it without any swords and add them later as dlc.People buying this stuff also encourages them.

The nerve on these guys is amazing,they add what they stripped from Rome 2 and what people requested in the first place with this Attila crap.

I admit that Rome 2 is miles away now than the wreck it was at the release,but the engine they use is still junk and their dlc policy is right there with those vultures at EA and Ubilol.I mean blood&gore dlc??Whats next horse armor?

Maybe in the next game they'll ship it without any swords and add them later as dlc.People buying this stuff also encourages them.

The Blood and gore DLC has an interesting history that shows how despicable they are.

What was the most popular Mod for Empire and Napoleon? Smoke and Blood. The Mod added blood, a little bit of gore and smoke.

Of course CA saw how popular that mod was.

Of course the Author tried to make a similiar mod for Shogun 2, only to discover that he couldn´t because the stuff he needed for it was now suddenly hardcoded.

Guess what DLC they released? Blood&gore. They can go fuck themselves as far as I´m concerned.

That's sad cause there isn't any other game doing the same thing as the TW series...

Yeah, that is very sad and they are expoiting it mercilessly

Interesting stuff Tonci and I didn't knew the whole story,with that dlc I just assumed they started cutting chunks of their games and selling it as dlc like every "respectable" dev out there or like they do with some of the factions.

That's sad cause there isn't any other game doing the same thing as the TW series...

True and it would surely leave a vacuum in this genre if they stopped making them,but I prefer a dead franchise and replaying the past games with pleasure than this whole extreme milking until the cow is a zombie.What good is when they release worse and worse games and you think how great games they used to make?

well blood dlc is kind off a audience decision. If they dont have blood and gore in it, they can sell it to a younger audience (germany 12+ rather then 16+)-> more customers. So selling blood&gore seperately is not so much a big gripe for me. I think the younger generation might be thankfull for that.

well blood dlc is kind off a audience decision. If they dont have blood and gore in it, they can sell it to a younger audience (germany 12+ rather then 16+)-> more customers. So selling blood&gore seperately is not so much a big gripe for me. I think the younger generation might be thankfull for that.

The problem is that they intentionally blocked access to the things needed to mod this, just so that they can sell it as DLC because they know how popular it is. They could have left the blood and the gore out of the game as usual and let the modder do his thing....

It is awfull to know that the old TWs were the ones with the most functionality. The new ones are just bland shells that get repetitive very fast. Just look at all the formations you had in Medieval 1. Take a look at the awesome reinforcement system for Viking Invasion where you could decide in what order your reinforcements will enter the battlefield. Back then generals had personality to them. An insane general could deliver a completely insane speech before the battle. Try to assassinate somebody often enough and you might drive him into insanity and paranoia. Units had character too. Undisciplined units or noble knights could charge the enemy on their own etc.

This series has had so many awesome stuff in the previous games that has never been used again.....

The problem is that they intentionally blocked access to the things needed to mod this, just so that they can sell it as DLC because they know how popular it is. They could have left the blood and the gore out of the game as usual and let the modder do his thing....

Remember Hot coffee mod for San Andreas? They had it in there but disabled. Modders enabled it. Rockstar got sued. Same could happen with blood. Mod that enables blood? Devs get a problem and their age rating is increased.

Remember Hot coffee mod for San Andreas? They had it in there but disabled. Modders enabled it. Rockstar got sued. Same could happen with blood. Mod that enables blood? Devs get a problem and their age rating is increased.

That is nonsense, you can´t compare a mod that adds a little bit of blood (did you even see the mod in action?) to a mod that adds sex. We all know that the americans go batshit crazy as soon as they see some nudity in media. Also the Hot coffee stuff was already in the game and just had to be unlocked. Smoke&Blood for Empire was made. The creator had to create new assets for the blood effect.

well yes and age rating agencies in germany go batshit crazy about blood if it comes to deciding if age rating 12+ or 16+

the outcry wouldnt be the same, but still.

well yes and age rating agencies in germany go batshit crazy about blood if it comes to deciding if age rating 12+ or 16+

the outcry wouldnt be the same, but still.

There would be no outcry, nobody gives a fuck about what a mod can put into a game, especially not the rating board.

Didn't Medieval 2 had blood?I remember the units got bloody when they were in a battle,they didn't seem to care about ratings back then.Considering their gazillion dlcs extreme milking is more likely the case with their latest games.

Didn't Medieval 2 had blood?I remember the units got bloody when they were in a battle,they didn't seem to care about ratings back then.Considering their gazillion dlcs extreme milking is more likely the case with their latest games.

It would´nt suprise me at all if many titles just went under their radar because they don´t have a single clue about what they´re doing.

In germany there´s so many titles with equal or even more exaggerated violence to banned or very highly age rated games, that my only conclusion about the people making decisons in this delicate field is "they´re pulling everything out of their own asses" - prbly not one single competent gamer around them.

Yes Medieval 2 had blood on the units. You could see how much damage a soldier has taken just by looking at him.

We knew that CA has got the license for Warhammer FB, but for now we have only heard rumors that they are making a WFB game and that it wont be like Total War.

http://kotaku.com/total-war-warhammer-accidentally-announced-1679351292

If that leak is true, then they are are pretty much working on a WFB Total War game. I am kind of sceptical about Warhammer: Total War name though, perhaps its only a working title and not the final one.

Im still pretty eager too see what they will come up with. There are some WFB mods for Medieval 2 but they arent very stable and are limited by the Medieval 2 engine (e.g. lack of magic, not countig "mage archers").

A comment on RPS best decribes my concerns with this new project

This is great news if you give the developers the benefit of the doubt – and I do – but I am somewhat cynical, nonetheless.

Them being Creative Assembly and this being 2015, I am almost certain that the end result will be a bland and dreary simulacrum of the Total War formula with a somewhat transparent Warhammer skin, built on an outdated and poorly optimised game engine, fraught with horrific loading times and published as a fragmented heap of DLC.

Warhammer is about Orc artillery being a threat to both sides. It is about flaming fearful fireballs and people riding wild boars, grand knightly figures that are the epitome of honour and glory, necromancers, inquisitors, undead, skulls, fear and stuff on fire. It’s about walking softly and carrying a big gun.

To put it plainly, the Warhammer setting is far too charismatic for Creative Assembly. It is too theatrical, too colourful, too diverse and imaginative. It is not at all like their historical settings for which a staid and realistic approach is warranted, if not necessarily wanted. Since the general’s speeches from Rome I, CA haven’t scored highly on the theatrical front.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/14/its-time-total-war-warhammer-confirmed/#comment-1790335

Thats what I fear too, both Warhammer settings have a flair of insanity and total lulz mixed with grimdarkness.

CA were doing rather historically correct games for now (with a lot of historic errors).

On the other hand they have done a great Alien Isolation which is not even a grand strategy game, so they might have some more surprises for us yet to be revealed.

And maybe they have had enough of historical games by now, which will feed their creativity (no pun intended) in a fantasy setting, where you can do so much more (as long as the license allows it).

That Warhammer total war get's me so very excited, I've spent countless hours playing Total War games and I hope it's the game that both the Warhammer Fantasy world and Total War brand deserves.