Sign in to follow this  
dezkit

Joystick Users

I recently bought a joystick in order to fly jets in this game. I'm very happy I bought it, it makes the game feel much more immersive, but I have a big issue.

The throttle axis on my joystick can be assigned in a very unique way from other flight simulators. You can assign the top 50% of the axis to increase thrust and the bottom 50% to decrease thrust.

In other games, the throttle works by being on the whole axis, meaning that 20% of the throttle was slower then 80% of the throttle.

Currently in ArmA 3, it works similar to this: Anything below 50% completely stops the jet, and anything above 50% accelerates it. That means if we were to maintain a certain speed we would have to attempt to put the lever at exactly 50%, otherwise the jet would either slow down or speed up.

I have tried searching the feedback tracker and found nothing so I created a ticket. I hope BIS will fix this issue.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=14106

You need to assign your throttle to the collective ANALOGUE.

There is nothing wrong with the controls, you were just searching for the wrong solution....

Collective Up and Down work by holding a hover. When you release the controls, it automatically sets you into a hover..

Collective up and down (Analogue) [At the bottom of your helicopter controls] works as a throttle should, allowing you full use of your slider.

BIS should, however, automatically map controls for joysticks to use the analogue instead of the non analogue collective... would probably save a few heads from being scratched.

Edited by KingScuba

Joystick can be mapped with a problem with a helicopter, but jets are a different story. I saw your post on the feedback tracker. Re-read my post, :).

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:47 ----------

As posted by a user on the feedback tracker:

"YES! BIS - PLEASE, Please, Please FIX this problem for airplanes! Separating the brakes from the throttle is a fundamental basic of flight. Thank you.

It is a HUGE problem for airplanes, NOT helicopters!

It was a design decision from BIS that when you reduce throttle, the game also automatically "applies the brakes". But in a plane, that causes problems. And planes don't even remotely work that way in real life. The brakes (air brakes or wheel brakes) are not automatically applied when you decrease the throttle. And having ARMA3 (or ARMA2) automatically apply the air brakes every time you reduce the throttle makes it hard to control the plane well during landing.

Yes, you can adapt to the problem, but it's not right. Taking your foot off the gas pedal does NOT automatically step onto the brakes in your car. Sometimes you just want to COAST for a while, without hitting the gas or brakes. Same thing for planes. You shouldn't slam on the brakes every time you reduce the throttle.

YES! BIS - PLEASE, Please, Please FIX this problem for airplanes! Separating the brakes from the throttle is a fundamental basic of flight. Thank you.

At least put in a "realistic throttle" option in the settings for pilots who value a slightly more realistic flight model, as opposed to a child's arcade game flight model.

You don't have to put in a ton of realism options. But this is a basic thing right here.

Thanks!!!"

You need to assign your throttle to the collective ANALOGUE.

There is nothing wrong with the controls, you were just searching for the wrong solution....

Collective Up and Down work by holding a hover. When you release the controls, it automatically sets you into a hover..

Collective up and down (Analogue) [At the bottom of your helicopter controls] works as a throttle should, allowing you full use of your slider.

BIS should, however, automatically map controls for joysticks to use the analogue instead of the non analogue collective... would probably save a few heads from being scratched.

Throttle on fixed wing aircraft is not done properly, it was actually far worse in ArmA2 until I made a thread and video about it to at least have it like OFP again. Like what was said above, analogue throttle for fixed wing in ArmA uses the bottom 50% for brake and top 50% for throttle usage. Every plane sim out there uses 100% throttle on a joystick slider and keys for brakes (different buttons for both air and wheel brakes etc)

No,the controls are messed up,I use a thrustmaster hotas warthog and is seems like the bottom 50% is for brake and the top 50% is for throttle/collective up down so I find myself constantly going up and down up and down up and down when trying to find the tiny idle spot so i can maintain altitude in a helicopter or cruise at a set speed in a jet because the throttle surface is divided up into 3 parts,0-50% brake50-75% throttle down and 75-100% throttle up,this causes the throttle to become very sensitive to input.So if I want to hover in a helicopter I don't set my throttle to 50% because then I would plummet to the ground,I need to set it to 75% which should actually be +25 collective raise.

No,the controls are messed up,I use a thrustmaster hotas warthog and is seems like the bottom 50% is for brake and the top 50% is for throttle/collective up down so I find myself constantly going up and down up and down up and down when trying to find the tiny idle spot so i can maintain altitude in a helicopter or cruise at a set speed in a jet because the throttle surface is divided up into 3 parts,0-50% brake50-75% throttle down and 75-100% throttle up,this causes the throttle to become very sensitive to input.So if I want to hover in a helicopter I don't set my throttle to 50% because then I would plummet to the ground,I need to set it to 75% which should actually be +25 collective raise.

exactly the situation im having

If we get a transport plane with reverse thrust that too needs to be taken into account. Bit weird i have to say that a game with aerial vehicles has no real support for the hardware used to pilot them.

Same problem here with my X52. I first though it was a settings problem, but only 100% work.

Whereas fixed wing is fine

I came up with an idea for the devs.

There should be two new options added to both plane movement and helicopter movement, Increase Throttle and Decrease Throttle. This should be really easy to program into the options and not interfere with the default. Also, this should replace the analogue controls since the analogue controls and the regular ones basically do the same thing.

Regular calibration bar would be nice. 0% to 100% throttle shown through a bar.

That way before you enter the calibration mode you set your throttle to for example 15% throttle. 15% would then represent 0% thrust and 100% would be full throttle.

The 15% you have left can be used for reverse thrust or brakes if the plane don´t have reverse thrust.

Even with keyboard it´s very strange how throttle and brakes work. It´s not a 0-100% bar where you can put in 100% throttle before you hit the top speed, it´s some weird incremental thing that only sets 100% of throttle when you actually reach top speed.

Edit: here´s an example of how throttle inputs should work.

Full throttle means full throttle and full brakes mean full brakes.

Edited by RushHour