Sign in to follow this  
Redphoenix

[WIP] Pilatus PC-21

Well, since we have a plane class now, I wanted to make something cool.

I found a very nice free model of a Pilatus PC-21 in the web and thought that this would be an extremly cool plane to have.

So I gave it a try and started working a bit in Blender. Parted cockpit frame and glass, and merged some groups into bigger groups.

clipboard02y9brm.jpg

clipboard030zsgs.jpg

I am planning to do this aircraft propperly, so it will take a while until you guys can play with this bird.

Cheers.

Awesome job! Are you planning on arming it, leaving as a civ plane or both?

Just to make this clear. I did not make this model. I did refurbish it a bit to make it usable for Arma, but in total this is not my model.

I found it though on tf3dm.

I will make both. Civilian airplane, armed plane and a race version with more power.

Amazing work on this plane ! ;)

ohhhh great to see the plane for A3.

-I think it would be nice to have an unarmed civilian version

- 1 version CAS 2 12.7 + 2 Pod pod rocket

and why not a heavy version with Mk82?

Just be careful about free models on the net. It'd be wise to provide links, because the majority of the "freeware" models out there are actually ripped or stolen.

Yeah. I hate to be that guy, but this model is likely ripped considering the uploader has uploaded tons of stuff from other games (tomb raider, iron man, ...)

Edit 2: Actually, the model is legit (even if the source isn't). It's made by Petar Jedvaj for use in flightgear, but he has also made it available for free.

Edited by mrflay

Just be careful about free models on the net. It'd be wise to provide links, because the majority of the "freeware" models out there are actually ripped or stolen.

Yeah, I saw that. But took a look on turbosquid aswell and fond the same model from his original uploader. Bot took the on from tf3dm, because it was in 3ds which made it easier to use.

Now this can be fun, I´ll take a race version in Red Bull livery. Then maybe do a competition with the windmills flying slalom through them :)

I finished my work in Blender so far (without the cockpit...).

2013-09-08_00002yrurh.jpg

Made a brandnew Geo LOD for testing as well.

great moves so far, keep going uphill!

*If case if you need reference pictures or ordinance list (weapons)

Slovenian army got Pilatus plane in service.

Since I switched from Blender to 3DS Max, working got very easy.

Therefore about an hour ago I started the cockpit. Since Front and Back are having the same panels with same layout, I just need to make one and clone it.

render_cockpit408bw6.jpg

render_cockpit74wann.jpg

Will keep you updated.

Edited by RedPhoenix

Thanks.

Just to let you know that this project is not dead.

I am trying to get a good cockpit.

render_cockpit9oxim8.jpg

Looks good.I'm thinking that on location where player will look most of the time there's area where polygons should be high to avoid

jagged look.Where would that position be?Maybe the windshield area.Food for thought.Looks good!

Kind of, yeah.

But The instrument panel will be one of the zones where you are looking most of the time.

If you check the original cockpit you will see that not alot features are in there, that's why I am trying to model as many things as I can into the cockpit.

pc-21_3.jpg

But the Front Panel will have top priority.

True!

Simply some MFDs and some other dials - done :D

That's how far I came today.

render_cockpit108jet9.jpg

At the moment, all in all 3.4k polys.

Great work on the panel so far. I hope you will spend a lot of time on the textures. There is a lot of good modelling work for Arma 2 planes that goes unnoticed because of poor texturing. For some units, the cockpit is really the workplace of a designated pilot for many hours -- spending the effort really, really makes the difference! I of course hope you remember/intend to add hidden selections so people can retexture and give your work increased longevity.

Will you do anything fancy, like allowing us to open doors and similar?

I also hope that you are going to make for two seats. There are very few proper training aircraft in the armaverse! For COIN, I can't overstate the importance of having someone do map-work or radio or spotting, it's really valuable.

Great work on the panel so far. I hope you will spend a lot of time on the textures. There is a lot of good modelling work for Arma 2 planes that goes unnoticed because of poor texturing. For some units, the cockpit is really the workplace of a designated pilot for many hours -- spending the effort really, really makes the difference! I of course hope you remember/intend to add hidden selections so people can retexture and give your work increased longevity.

Will you do anything fancy, like allowing us to open doors and similar?

I also hope that you are going to make for two seats. There are very few proper training aircraft in the armaverse! For COIN, I can't overstate the importance of having someone do map-work or radio or spotting, it's really valuable.

That's why I dedicate a lot of work and time into the cockpit. I think it should be more detailed than the rest of the aircraft, which is already very detailed, even it has only around 13k polys.

But I will put a lot of effort into the textures. A friend of mine, who is a professional artist will be working on the textures as soon as I'm ready.

I will also create custom LCD gauges, and hope that I can make all gauges work.

I will not simply make hiddenselections, I will upload the source texture-files so you can create the best textures as possible.

Flaps, Speedbrake, damper, canopy eca - I really hope I can make all of that working.

If course this aircraft will be a two-seater. It's in real a two seater, so it will be in Arma3.

At the moment I am thinking about making:

-Standard Military Training Aircraft, no weapons

-Light CAS (2x LAU-69/A Rocket Pods, 2x Mk82 and HMG-Pod)

-Light Anti-Air (4x AIM-9X +1 Decoy Storage Container)

-Civilian Racing Variant (more HP and Torque)

-Standard Civilian Aircraft with two or three different textures textures

But it's a long way until the release date.

There is this development of Pilatus aircraft called the AT-6B http://aviationintel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/AT-6B_1.jpg which would be a good design for a CAS plane, with the co pilot being able to operate the camera.

the gun pod you regularly see on this airframe is a FN HMP series http://www.fnherstal.com/primary-menu/products-capabilities/airborne-weapon-systems.html

Thanks, Was talking about that gunpod. But the FLIR Camera looks great. Thinking about a Recon Variant as well haha

Thanks, Was talking about that gunpod. But the FLIR Camera looks great. Thinking about a Recon Variant as well haha

Sir, that would be awesome.