Sign in to follow this  
mbbird

Reality Check

Flying autonomously and/or to waypoints is one thing. But drones being able to tell a friend from foe and especially an enemy against the background and then navigate around while engaging them is not something that would happen by 2035.

The Super Aegis 2 is the successor to SGR-A1 and this latest sentry gun can be put in autonomous mode or manual(human operator).

http://www.gizmag.com/korea-dodamm-super-aegis-autonomos-robot-gun-turret/17198/

Also isn't the Phalanx pretty much autonomous?

It isn't too sci-fi that by 2035 they could improve these drones(including a friend/foe system) if even in present time they're toying with autonomous drones.

It isn't too sci-fi that by 2035 they could improve these drones(including a friend/foe system) if even in present time they're toying with autonomous drones.

There aren't just friends/foes on the battlefield. There are also civilians. I think it is possible to have a system by 2035 that can identify friends but I don't think we are going to let a computer to decide who to attack anytime soon.

Flying autonomously and/or to waypoints is one thing. But drones being able to tell a friend from foe and especially an enemy against the background and then navigate around while engaging them is not something that would happen by 2035.

Citation needed.

The only kind of AI my group and I play with, meaning on our team, are autonomous drones. The jankyness and weird tendencies of the AI (that controls it when the player doesn't) are then justified with an in-game reason: "it's just a computer, it's stupid". I think that's pretty cool and is actually adding something to gameplay. That's not to say the current system is perfect, because it isn't, but saying they straight up shouldn't be autonomous outside of flight is silly. Now they just need to get off their lazy professional asses and do some actual model work for the entirely separate factions currently using the same damned models for half of the game's content.

Edited by mbbird

This is an issue that plagued the game for the past 4 years. Speculating on whether it will be or will not be real* in 20 years is not an excuse to not fix it after so much time.

Drones are gamebreaking. Fact.

*and it will not - because let's be realistic - it would require a real AI and that's a stuff of fantasies for a long time.

(especially when in certain games about 2035 soldiers cannot even enter buildings or cross a bridge right)

Edited by metalcraze

Drones are gamebreaking. Fact.

Wouldn't call gamebreaking but their behaviour and usage is fubar.

I think there is some sort or contradiction with the drone AI, at one point you want the AI to flying around in circle and laze target for you, on the other hand you don't want them to engage at their own will, which comes to a question: knowing that the universal AI have all kinds of problems, wouldn't it be better to us a separate AI for flying, driving and general use instead?

As a person/gamer/modder who has been around these parts for many, many years (Original OFP/OFP:R) I'm a bit dumbfounded that they would release repetitive models and bland/basic/reused textures like this.

It seems as if they community needs to step in with the modding to save face.

well if you have some completely autonomous drones, it kind of begs the question "why use infantry at all?"

well if you have some completely autonomous drones, it kind of begs the question "why use infantry at all?"

Because infantry have 180 degree fields of view, ears, incredible response times, flexibility, feet, abilities of communication, staying power, don't have a massive IR/sound/visual footprint, are lightweight, are less expensive (if we want to go down that road), can as a group carry greater firepower to more places, don't run on gas, are more mobile even if less rapid, etc etc etc. I don't imagine, while the technology for autonomy in movement and targetting exists, that HQ would just say "okay lets let them free on the island, they'll figure it out on their own". This isn't space-age corporation warfare on a different planet. IIRC the NATO force was actually a peacekeeping operation.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Their presence in the game really isn't the problem, and neither are they gamebreaking (whoever said that should get into Dramatic Theatre). It's their wonkiness in interfacing, their limitations, and the halfassed nature of their content-embodiment.

If you have all enemies in the area alert or even converge on your position if you didn't move drone away with an inevitable mission failure because of something beyond your control - it's pretty gamebreaking.

It goes the other way too. Whereas with a human controller the drone should have the imprecision and limited vision of a human watching everything through a camera - with a current issue UGV turns into an armored laser precise killer that will even magically tell independent-friendly-to-enemy FIA from BLUFOR FIA. Good luck escaping that.

Edited by metalcraze

As a person/gamer/modder who has been around these parts for many, many years (Original OFP/OFP:R) I'm a bit dumbfounded that they would release repetitive models and bland/basic/reused textures like this.

This. Also as someone who knows what has been created by community members, in their free time. Also taking the the inital lack of campaign (well, won't play it probably anyway) into account: more often there will be some doubts about the professional <-> community relationship. What next? ArmA 4 comes without a map? And ArmA 5 without ArmA 5? Sometimes it feels like BIS is a one-man-project.

Well, think about it in the real world. If you had autonomous drones, why use infantry? Because you will always have more people that you do expensive autonomous hardware. Autonomous drones, like any drone or armor or aircraft, are force multipliers. The supplement your infantry, not supplant it.

Someone should loose their job?

Wonky AI on drones is gamebreaking as it BREAKS THE GAME?

Calm the funk down.

Your melodramatic, over the top bleating is getting you no where and just making you look like loons.

If there is a bug/issue have you raised a ticket?

No? then do so.

If it doesn't get resolved in a reasonable time frame then by all means escalate the issue in a mature sensible way.

wgaf, the next time the business/company or whatever you work (unless you don't work, if so please skip to the very last word) for does sometime wrong would you like to loose your job? No? then please, pretty please with sugar on top STFU.

Edited by KING5TON

I don't see the reason for that at all. In any case they should add some guerrilla fighters and / or PMC in each side. But FIA story wise should stay in BLUFOR ( I've been designing quite much missions about it ).

I don't know ( only BI guys know ), but they have said in previous statements, that the actual dev branch it's not the same as the release version ( cuz the dev branch have some testing stuff ).

Probably fixes, missions and who know?

How long have you been making missions?

Since August 2013? :)

How long have you been making missions?

Since August 2013? :)

Well I said design. Though I been making missions since OFP ( I started learning a bit of programming because of that )

And missions for A3 that involve FIA, I started long ago with pen and notebook. And then with the editor I used to change uniform with civilian clothes ( you can even find some comments I did weeks ago in the addons section asking GLT to include some rebels in his mod ). :)

Edited by MistyRonin
Orthography!

It goes the other way too. Whereas with a human controller the drone should have the imprecision and limited vision of a human watching everything through a camera - with a current issue UGV turns into an armored laser precise killer that will even magically tell independent-friendly-to-enemy FIA from BLUFOR FIA. Good luck escaping that.

Just so you know; adding these two simple commands into the init of a drone turns off the gun permanently:

this disableAI "target";
this disableAI "autotarget";

Therefore, if you don't like the autonomous all-knowing IFF gun behaviour, then it changes the behaviour so it will never fire, and only you as drone controller can fire the gun.

Therefore, if you don't like the autonomous all-knowing IFF gun behaviour, then it changes the behaviour so it will never fire, and only you as drone controller can fire the gun.

This is an on/off switch. It's not possible to set the mode of operation for the AV without scripting (i.e. once you want it to start operating autonomously, it need to be scripted. It's not a command that a player can give at any time).

Besides, this only works if the mission deisgner made it possible. What if you want to drive in a Stomper, place it into position, and then wait until the rest of the time is in position and you want to engage as soon as you're ready ?

This can all be scripted, of course, but a general solution is necessary to make this work everywhere, not just in selected missions.

The Manager who headed this whole mess.

sorry mate thats not going to happen, the game has been released and they are now entering phase 2....damage control and PR fluff.

sorry mate thats not going to happen, the game has been released and they are now entering phase 2....damage control and PR fluff.

Yeah they are doing great with the PR...."Hm there is a shitstorm about lack of content? Lets tell them we want money for mods now xD"

Haha eee this game.

Charging for Free usermade content = Fail.

Also Hidden selections on the NATO US Flashes need to be implemented because now it seems that all NATO country have been annexed by America.

I see people are wasting no time in deciding to misinterpret/imagine what has been announced.

I see people are wasting no time in deciding to misinterpret/imagine what has been announced.

i see no reason to keep bothering about it, most of the misinterpretations comes from the same people over and over again. :D There is also a very generic: but it should be free mindset for some reason