Sign in to follow this  
mbbird

Reality Check

In what respects, other than graphics ? I see this "It's better than Arma 2" or "It's a great step forward" so often, but while the people that thing Arma 2 was better can point out exactly why they think that way, the "others" can't tell why they think it's better.

I enjoy the new movement animations. I also enjoy the fact that you can customize your avatar and weapons on the fly, in my book that adds lots of possibilities for scenario (SP&MP) makers.

BTW those who think "quality over quantity" checks in and are saying, that they'd rather had 2 well made tanks instead of bunch... they really need some rethinking

Edit

I reckon BIS made some "changes" about it so I made second revision of my presentation so noone can say "it's working now"

You should post these in the dev branch thread if you haven't already. Along with a FT ticket.

I enjoy the new movement animations. I also enjoy the fact that you can customize your avatar and weapons on the fly, in my book that adds lots of possibilities for scenario (SP&MP) makers.

it will be good when the editor loadout tab gets put into the game...

it will be good when the editor loadout tab gets put into the game...

Actually I see the current system as a plus. Crowding the initialization line with all the commands and class names teaches one great humility and patience, not to mention that it helps raise the users memory capacity. << BI can always claim it's their Take onâ„¢ CSR ;)

what you see is one of the physx elements on the front of tank going wornky when colliding with specific objects or when flopped etc ...

our physx master will try cut it ;)

what you see is one of the physx elements on the front of tank going wornky when colliding with specific objects or when flopped etc ...

our physx master will try cut it ;)

But that's not just on tanks. Every vehicle feels very unfinished. I try to cut those feelings by reworking the configs, but that's only a minor fix to the whole tank-coliding history.

Well, the first year of a new Arma game is always the worst....

With a controller, driving vehicles feels ok, even great.

With keyboard/mouse .. not so much. But it has been the case in every game.

The "feel" is kind of a subjective matter.

In what respects, other than graphics ? I see this "It's better than Arma 2" or "It's a great step forward" so often, but while the people that thing Arma 2 was better can point out exactly why they think that way, the "others" can't tell why they think it's better.

Hello there

my example? Improved (not perfect IMMHO but improved) avatar control and movement, the introduction of physx and the optimisation of the RV engine (fps wise) to name but three.

Its not the visible quantum leap I was hoping for but i bet there's a vast amount of engine changes under the hood which will be good for the future.

Do I have criticisms? Absolutely. I'm not a blind fanboy, but even accepting that if the dev build is what we will get on release (i dont know if thats true), then it's still a great game and a good improvement.

Im a very vocal supporter of AiA for example to get more content in game from TOH and A2 etc as IMHO as the game stands it's sorely lacking.

But as it stands, for me A3 is a step forward and at the very least keeps the engine up to date as the A2 engine is starting to look very creaky (IMHO).

Rgds

LoK

I agree with both the inventory (although it could be much better) and the customization (especially for weapons, in particular from a modders point of view) .

my example? Improved (not perfect IMMHO but improved) avatar control and movement, the introduction of physx and the optimisation of the RV engine (fps wise) to name but three.

I don't really see much improvement with the avatar control. The new stances are nice, but not that a big deal, IMHO. They come in handy in towns, that's true, but there, the AI has the most problems, so their use is doubtful.

PhysX is actually my "least favorite" new feature. It sounds good in theory, but in practice, it's a bit wonky. Especially the uncanny capability of vehicles to land on their wheels again is honestly getting me worked up. Plus, for some vehicles the physx parameters need tweaking, for example, the civilian truck has a enter of gravity that is so ridiculously high that it will start tilting in every curve, even at low speed.

FPS wise, I don't see much improvement over the old engine, to be honest, but that is also due to lack of real possibility for comparison. Need to check with AiA in Chernarus since it's the only valid test to see if it works with the same data set. MP performance is definitely worse.

I would also like to take the opportunity to make one thing clear: I'm complaining a lot, but that's because I expected much more from Arma 3, especially when it comes to content and realism (yeah, I know, authenticity, but 150 kg carrying capacity is neither real, nor authentic, and yeah, I know it's been worked on, but still not enough IMHO). I still think Arma 3 is a good game. I just think Arma 2 is better.

I don't really see much improvement with the avatar control. The new stances are nice, but not that a big deal, IMHO. They come in handy in towns, that's true, but there, the AI has the most problems, so their use is doubtful.

I would venture to say your in the minority in all 3 of the above counts. Many are very pleased that the player avatar no longer feels like a mannequin on wheels. The stances are also extremely welcome and dramatically effect gameplay when adjusting around obstacles/windows etc and have already become second nature to my very hardwired OFP memory muscle. As for AI, open world/hundreds of unit AI will never be able to 100% play the game of inches needed for both pathfinding a built up virtual area or cover and shoot, but imo it is getting better with each title and I hear that god awful phrase "Cant get there!" less and less.

About PhysX, how about actually being able to fall over small steps without dying -was that not a HUGE immersion breaker for you? Both player and AI can much better now navigate over things like rocks and walls far better than the moving statues of the previous titles.

Just my opinion anyway.

I would venture to say your in the minority in all 3 of the above counts.

That may well be, but in my "world", only one opinion counts: My own :P

About PhysX, how about actually being able to fall over small steps without dying -was that not a HUGE immersion breaker for you? Both player and AI can much better now navigate over things like rocks and walls far better than the moving statues of the previous titles.

I was mostly referring to the vehicles when it comes to PhysX. And that the implementation is only half-assed (and remember, it's not cursing when you are talking about a donkey)

Just my opinion anyway.

Same here.

Edited by Varanon

I would venture to say he's not..

Many are very pleased that the player avatar no longer feels like a mannequin on wheels.

No, they turned into whimsical fluffy bunnies instead, floating around..;)

Only imo..:p

I've been thinking that since the community has such great modelers and texturers, and BI has a lack of them (as evidenced by this thread), why can't Bohemia possibly outsource some work to the community? We could have more statics, vehicles (or maybe even interiors! :D), and all sorts of wonderful things. There are tons of mods adding different factions/new vehicles, so why not put up some standards and let them be submitted to be put inside of the game?

I've been thinking that since the community has such great modelers and texturers, and BI has a lack of them (as evidenced by this thread), why can't Bohemia possibly outsource some work to the community? We could have more statics, vehicles (or maybe even interiors! :D), and all sorts of wonderful things. There are tons of mods adding different factions/new vehicles, so why not put up some standards and let them be submitted to be put inside of the game?

I think they did....iron front?

Hello there

Iron Front is a very different Kettle of fish to A2 and isnt comparable in this instance.

Rgds

LoK

I would venture to say your in the minority in all 3 of the above counts....

Trust me, he's not.

Hello there

Iron Front is a very different Kettle of fish to A2 and isnt comparable in this instance.

Rgds

LoK

I think it started out as a mod made by the community did it not? like I44?

Iron Front is a standalone game that was built on a licensed A2 engine, but it's not outsourced, it's been published by a completely different publisher.

None of those changes needed PhysX to be changed.

PhysX is such a buzzword for the ArmA series. It didn't really add much to the game. I'd argue that vehicles handle worse now that "PhysX" is "implemented".

About outsourcing, BIS outsourced ACR DLC. Made by the same people that make the CSLA mod. Still haven't seen one patch for it btw.

He's not. I absolutely don't like it how BIS instead of improving movement and feel from ArmA2 took it to another absolute extreme by completely removing any limitations from the movement control making movement in BF3 feel a lot more realistic. And I don't mean animations.

PhysX is such a buzzword for the ArmA series. It didn't really add much to the game. I'd argue that vehicles handle worse now that "PhysX" is "implemented".

Indeed. It's as if BIS added PhysX because original ArmA physics didn't allow for vehicles to auto-flip back onto their wheels pleasing casual players who can't let go of E key.

I mean when you see a heavy tank autoflip back on its tracks it's just laughable.

PhysX.

Edited by metalcraze

I think it started out as a mod made by the community did it not? like I44?

Originally, yes. Then as already been pointed out it became it's own game.

Rgds

LoK

You're kidding right?

Oh do you have the release version? The one I have is in Beta & will receive a large update in two days.