Sign in to follow this  
mbbird

Reality Check

They could make this shortage-of-content issue vanish very quickly if they were to provide a small amount of material support to All-in-ArmA.

That's not the right way out.

The right way out that would be similar is re-using ArmA2 / OA models but updating textures / cockpits so they look on par if they absolutely have no wish to replace half A3 content (which desperately needs replacing) with something new. Updated A2 content will at least make it unique.

AiA is just not smooth enough of a solution and not everything is really needed from A2/OA. Obviously official Take On Rearmed-style patch will be welcome regardless.

I wonder if the whole 2030 scenario had something to do with the lack of content. That way they had to "invent" vehicles from the ground up.

Maybe after two modern ArmAs it could have been time for another Cold War ArmA. I liked the Soviet stuff.

The reality check here is that BI owes you [the "community" as a whole] nothing.

You buy your game, you get your game. It doesn't have things in it you think it should have? Well tough titties my friend, you are not the Co-Creative Director at BI, so you have NO say in what content should be there or not.

THAT is the reality of it.

Either you are the biggest fanboy ever or just incredibly naive O_o

Does Xbox One ring any bells? You know, when Microsoft had to listen to its customers because otherwise they would have experienced a serious sales drop? And that was one of the biggest corporations in the world, who even without changes would still have sold a fuckton of units. Bohemia is not big, the ArmA series always had a comparable small amount of fans. And now around 50% of those fans are not happy. Yeah....

Edited by Fulcrum90

Got to agree with that post..

__

Its about game-play, for those that thought A2 looked or played bad, it didn't/doesn't on VH settings it looks great and the game-play is worlds apart from A3. Yes, you have to mod A2 to get the very best, but it will be the same for A3, only difference is, A2 just feels more realistic, for me anyway.

I would have paid whatever they priced it at for A3, that was a dead cert for me, no way I wasn't buying it. But they (A2/A3) are two different games, with a different feel to each, just imo.

A2 and 3 are Different? They play exactly the same imo.

And now around 50% of those fans are not happy. Yeah....

I wonder what the "percentage" was when Armed Assault was released. Or Arma 2.

I remember having huge performance issues with ArmedAssault, and the crashes. The campaign .. never touched it. Was there a campaign?

I remember having performance issues with Arma 2 and lots of bugs. The campaign .. tried it, still not finished.

There was not much difference in vehicles and weapons from OFP->Arma 2 .. really.

Should the customers or the company be worried now?

I had still a lot of fun with both games, and I'm happy I bought them.

Does anyone really believe that angry complaining will bring more vehicles and fun stuff into Arma 3?

Does anyone really believe that "I'm not going to buy Arma 4!" does the trick?

Should we all be shouting "We want more! We want more! ... or we'll tell our friends and relatives that do not buy this game!" then?

That's like blackmailing .. sort of.

A2 just feels more realistic, for me anyway. ... But they (A2/A3) are two different games, with a different feel to each, just imo.

It's just the "2035"? effect.

Maybe" gloomy Chernarus"-"sunny pretty Mediterranean Island" -effect too.

Edited by Azzur33

But they (A2/A3) are two different games, with a different feel to each, just imo.

That hits home.. they feel like different games to me as well

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

I wonder if the whole 2030 scenario had something to do with the lack of content. That way they had to "invent" vehicles from the ground up.

The vehicles aren't invented. Most of them have existing counterparts. This is even more bothersome, since if you look at for example, the NATO armor, you will notice that all the chassis are that of the Merkava (an existing tank, mind you), and the turrets are either copied from other source, or, in the case of the rocket artillery, just a MLRS mounted on top of it. You even see the booms on top that usually fit on the M270's rear cabin (which the Merkava doesn't have, making them completely irrelevant).

Initially, it was said that the whole future scenario was to get some more artistic freedom, but honestly, I think the artistic freedom has been wasted. Instead of coming up with interesting designs, they took existing ones and to save resources copied most of the parts to other vehicles. That's artistic freedom ?

Either you are the biggest fanboy ever or just incredibly naive O_o

Neither, just someone more informed than you.

Does Xbox One ring any bells? You know, when Microsoft had to listen to its customers because otherwise they would have experienced a serious sales drop? And that was one of the biggest corporations in the world, who even without changes would still have sold a fuckton of units. Bohemia is not big, the ArmA series always had a comparable small amount of fans.

Not really comparable situations here. The parallels you draw are not the same at all.

People complained about XBONE because it had some retarded limitations.

People are complaining about A3 because it doesn't have as many toys as they think it should.

And now around 50% of those fans are not happy. Yeah....

Yeah, no.

More like 0.05% of those fans are unhappy.

There are currently ~4,200 people playing A3 (according to Steam). There are probably another 10 to 20,000 that play daily and enjoy it. There are currently about 20-40 people bitching loudly about their "disappointment" in the game.

Don't over-inflate your ego the same way you over-inflate your [self-]entitlement. ;)

There are probably another 10 to 20,000 that play daily and enjoy it.

Nothing beats sentences that start with "There are probably"...

By the way, I'm one of those 4200 currently playing, and I still complain.

Don't over-inflate your ego the same way you over-inflate your [self-]entitlement. ;)

Nice. Two insults in one sentence. Very efficient.

They are really stretching the limits of the shit that the community can pull them out from. Here's to waiting on a full community overhaul of all the content in A3. Good luck modders, we really, REALLY appreciate your work.

Well I'd get exact numbers, but my contacts are currently not available.

And gamers always will. Nothing will ever be good enough for the self-entitled generation.

Efficiency is key.

Back to content issues: looks like apart from giving everybody exactly the same drones with exactly the same loadouts they haven't fixed those drones at all too despite promising the opposite for ArmA3.

Drones will still attack enemies on their own because they have a human crew sitting inside. Just like in ArmA2. Apparently wanting this to get fixed in more than 4 years is being too self-entitled.

But instead BIS solution is to simply make drones ungroupable so you won't be able to command that crew to get out for example - which naturally makes the drone unusable since it will be empty.

Merkava and T-100 have exactly the same loadouts as well. I guess US gifted Iran its ammunition and the tools to make it. But hey at least it takes 5 shots to the front to take out Merkava with a sabot vs. 6 shots to the front of T-100 with the same ammo so ever present mirroring isn't completely bad (or maybe I'm not shooting under exactly the same angle)

Neither, just someone more informed than you.

Oh really? Hm lets see what information you come up with.

Not really comparable situations here. The parallels you draw are not the same at all. There are probably....

"Not really" and "probably". Awww...Well that was a dud ;)

Thank you! I also play it by the way. And I am very disappointed. As is my clan. My buddies were pretty much flabbergasted when I told them it will be released next week with no additonal content :(

DM stop embarrassing yourself. The point of this thread is content consistency. That's all we want and it's not asking that much because in previous titles it existed! For me, the 2035 scenario strategy clearly failed (although I like the setting).

Its a shame people have been hurt this badly, BIS must hang their heads in shame, i dont understand how a company can be so... so mean!!!?:popcornsmilie:

I guess I am the minority here, who cares mostly about vision of improved gameplay mechanics with each game release rather than the quantity and variability of content. I would kill for BIS devs concentrating ONLY on gameplay mechanics and engine fixes for several years and leaving content development behind. That would be the best thing to ever happen with this series. Shame it is not going to happen as I watch this discussion...

People are complaining about A3 because it doesn't have as many toys as they think it should.

Wrong, most of the recent complaints are not wanting MORE content ( I personally am pretty happy with the amount of units AND they said they will add more after release, which I believe).

Most people who are complaining now, are complaining about the reuse of assets between the two major factions, you know they copy and pasted turrets and UVs etc..?

Answer this: Do you think the newly released faction's armor, sharing the same turrets looks good, or even logical? I have yet to see anyone who does. Why would they?

The vehicles aren't invented. Most of them have existing counterparts. This is even more bothersome, since if you look at for example, the NATO armor, you will notice that all the chassis are that of the Merkava (an existing tank, mind you), and the turrets are either copied from other source, or, in the case of the rocket artillery, just a MLRS mounted on top of it. You even see the booms on top that usually fit on the M270's rear cabin (which the Merkava doesn't have, making them completely irrelevant).

Initially, it was said that the whole future scenario was to get some more artistic freedom, but honestly, I think the artistic freedom has been wasted. Instead of coming up with interesting designs, they took existing ones and to save resources copied most of the parts to other vehicles. That's artistic freedom ?

I agree with this and I think it's a valid complaint. Nothing to do with "self entitled generations". :rolleyes:

All most people want is the modelers to go back to work for a bit and give us some variety and visual distinction for a handful of assets.

I guess I am the minority here, who cares mostly about vision of improved gameplay mechanics with each game release rather than the quantity and variability of content. I would kill for BIS devs concentrating ONLY on gameplay mechanics and engine fixes for several years and leaving content development behind. That would be the best thing to ever happen with this series. Shame it is not going to happen as I watch this discussion...

your not in the minority :)

And with what would you play? One soldier, one gun and one jeep? Wow, thats what made OFP so special... -_-

Thing is, they actually did already improve the gameplay. I love how smooth and immersive the controls feel like, nothing compared to OFP, ArmA 1 + 2. But sorry, I cant accept an empty game were every side uses the same vehicles. Future or not, Israeli Merkava tanks used by both sides with different turrets? Oh come on.

I know they had to relocate resources because of Dayz, but why dont they just work on it another six months?

Wrong, most of the recent complaints are not wanting MORE content ( I personally am pretty happy with the amount of units AND they said they will add more after release, which I believe).

Most people who are complaining now, are complaining about the reuse of assets between the two major factions, you know they copy and pasted turrets and UVs etc..?

So what you're saying is you want more, different, turrets and more UAVs and more planes then? Or am I understanding that wrong?

All most people want is the modelers to go back to work for a bit and give us some variety and visual distinction for a handful of assets.

So you're assuming they're all done and have all kicked back and are now twiddling their thumbs? I see...

Edited by DM

And with what would you play? One soldier, one gun and one jeep? Wow, thats what made OFP so special... -_-

Thing is, they actually did already improve the gameplay. I love how smooth and immersive the controls feel like, nothing compared to OFP, ArmA 1 + 2. But sorry, I cant accept an empty game were every side uses the same vehicles. Future or not, Israeli Merkava tanks used by both sides with different turrets? Oh come on.

I know they had to relocate resources because of Dayz, but why dont they just work on it another six months?

I think the amount of content is absolutely sufficient (there is not "One soldier, one gun and one jeep"). The AI capabilities are on the other hand absolutely insufficient. Same goes for physics and GUI.

Quality models can be made "easily" by modders. Engine fixes, core AI fixes and gameplay changes not.

think about like this...all work is done in engine and nothing on content except a few items...people would just start porting over A2 stuff and mods like I44 (which is being done) so there would be plenty of things to play with along with and engine that is 4x more powerful (scaling )

all the content in the world will matter for naught if my FPS tanks my CPU hit %100 while GPU drops usage drops because core 0 on my system of server is overloaded. engine first content later.

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 15:20 ----------

Quality models can be made "easily" by modders. Engine fixes, core AI fixes and gameplay changes not.

^^this, cart was put before the horse :(

engine first content later.

This.

cart was put before the horse :(

This.

Err, no its not mate. The British Military are releasing new vehicles on a yearly basis. Look at the new vehicles that have been deployed for Afghanistan. That's just one example. Also, the British Military have a unit called TDU, Trials and Development Unit.

Yeah and I've used most of them When i went to war we used Soft skin land rovers due to the except able casaltie rate ratio.

Then when we went on COIN ops they gave us Huskeys M-WMIK etc.

You guys can chops off as much as you like about how protective vehicles are "replacing" these vehicles but there not really.

Light Role troops will always use Light role vehichls IE R-WMIK and Land Rover Vixen.

What your talking about is counter insurgency wagons for Mech troops as tracked vehicles are deemed to aggressive. (Source Operational tour of Basra in 2007 when they took bulldog of us).

And as of "oh BI just cloned arma1/2 for arma 3" I wouldn't care at least you could do more with that.

Most people that has been into gaming for a longer period of time and have played a broad range of genres, will note that almost all game franchises have taken a different route at some point. This happened first when developers started developing for both PC and consoles. Most games have been "dumbed down" to attract a broader audience.

Now Im not saying that Arma 3 has really been dumbed down per say and certainly is not being developed to consoles :).

I enjoy almost all genres. Everything from RPG, grand strategy games ala Paradox Interactive to twitch shooters and RTS.

Now 90% of every game franchise Ive enjoyed and played has at some point changed. Developers have taken a good concept and changed it, most of the time to something worse. Every time this has happened, fans from previous games in the series have been disappointed and begged, whined and done everything to convince the developers to change it back to what made the franchise good in the past.

That almost never happens.

Now what Im trying to say here, most of us can agree that Arma 3 is different from Arma 2. They have done many improvements and added nice features but at the same time, the game has taken a step back in some areas from previous games. This is exactly what has happened with pretty much every game franchise out there.

And if we learn anything from history it is that the developers will NOT change the bad in Arma 3. It is now what it is. There is alot of people that are in a state of denial and there is alot of wishful thinking going on.

Now I agree that Bohemia is different developer and have in the past been a very generous developer and cares for their community and listens (not always). But as with every other developer out there they to can change. People are taking for granted that they will provide us with free content to make up for the shortfall in Arma 3. Maybe they will give us a few more toys to play with (2 CAS planes confirmed). But anyone that thinks they will revisit the copy paste content and add variety to the major factions lives in a fantasy world with pink bunnies and unicorns. It just wont happen.

Here is what I think will happen.

They will release some content for free, like the 2 CAS planes. Then comes the DLC. We will pay to get more weapons, vehicles etc. Hopefully new content will be more varied and not copy paste but this is not guaranteed.

A major expansion will be released, similar to OA. This is a perfect opportunity for BI to redeem themselves. They can add all the features that were axed and add new factions with unique weapons and vehicles. Again this is best case scenario and it might turn out the be the exact opposite.

I know Im being very negative, and alot of people will tell me that BI is different from any other developer out there. And I agree that they WERE different. Remember almost all developers out there have changed. Thinking BI is never gonna change is just naive.

But as I said earlier, judging from history when a franchise takes a different direction, there is no going back.

I truly hope I get proven wrong in the future.

Guest Ti0n3r
Great another one of these threads. At least my ignore list is getting a workout....

Thanks for sharing this information with the rest of the forum.